Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

I remember the Then Jerico song (which isn't too bad, actually) being on some wretched film Mark Hamill did when trying to break out of his Star Wars typecasting, before figuring out voice-over work was his niche.

gilbertharding

Can I just take the opportunity to urge everyone who see this to watch the Anthea Turner episode again. Specifically watch Anthea Turner,  particularly during the last two links (maybe others too). Really watch her.

Then tell me:

What the FUCK is going on there?

daf

gilbertharding

Strange energy, isn't it?

It's especially weird when Gary Davies is talking.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 19, 2020, 12:47:42 PM
Crazy that this very forgettable hip houser peaked at 14, whereas the hip hop classic It Takes Two only got to 24

It sounds like the lamest rap/dance crossover thing ever, I mean it would be a compliment to call it 'pedestrian'. Looked the two guys up on Wikipedia and was astounded that they were an actual bona fide hip hop duo, I thought this bore all the hallmarks of a producer try trying to make a quick buck off a throwaway track by hiring some complete no-marks.

TL:DR? Really didn't like it. 

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 19, 2020, 05:40:09 PM
Can I just take the opportunity to urge everyone who see this to watch the Anthea Turner episode again. Specifically watch Anthea Turner,  particularly during the last two links (maybe others too). Really watch her.

Then tell me:

What the FUCK is going on there?

I think that's the only time I've ever thought she was remotely alluring.

Quote from: daf on January 19, 2020, 12:36:39 PM
(19) MICA PARIS & WILL DOWNING – Where Is The Love?
Behind your Bum-cape

She looks like a big lizard.

buzby

Quote from: daf on January 11, 2020, 03:00:52 PM
5 January 1989: Presenters: Andy Crane & Mark Goodier (New Titles Special!!)
Yes, the Quantel has had a software upgrade. The new graphics are very much in the 'modern' style pioneered by the likes of Neville Brody at The Face, Terry Jones at I-D magazine, and Malcolm Garrett on Channel 4s Network 7 with the 'glitchy' graphics and Univers LT and OCR B fonts
(2) ERASURE – Stop
Vince brings the SH101/Mod Grip combo out again. The director has an even less successful attempt at deploying the freeze frame than last time - misses the entire second chorus, then one further attempt in the third before giving up.
(9)  KIM WILDE – Four Letter Word
So Dreamy
Swoon! No Ricky & the boys to get in the way this time, just a curtain of dry ice. From how she looked here, she could almost be Kylie's (very young) mum.
(15) A-HA – You Are The One (video)
Ain't nothnig like a dame! The song is a bit insipid, however.
Quote- -
(25) DURAN DURAN – All She Wants Is
The intro to this is bad rip-off of Kraftwerk's Tour De France. The actual tune is a bad ripoff of Roxy Music's Love Is The Drug
[
(6) NENEH CHERRY – Buffalo Stance
Excellent stuff. Bristol hip hop collective The wild Bunch get a namecheck - the track originated as Looking Good Diving With The Wild Bunch, the B-side reworking of the Morgan-Mcvey single 'Looking Good Diving' (McVey being Cherry's partner Cameron McVey, aka Booga Bear). Cherry and McVey were instrumental in financing the early careers of other Wild Bunch members Tricky, Portishead and Massive Attack (for whom they financed the recording of their debut album).

The 'Buffalo Stance' title refers to a pose used by the models of the designer Ray Perri's Buffalo Collective (which Cherry and McVey and Jamie Morgan were members of).

buzby

Quote from: daf on January 12, 2020, 11:45:44 AM
12 January 1989: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Sybil 'Emperor' Ruscoe
At least Roscoe has toned down the shouting this time. She is still very wooden, unfortuantely.
(33) THE DARLING BUDS – Hit The Ground
Doesn't this sound like Lush? Being from Newport, Gwent, they were big favourites of Colin Morton & Chuck Death of Great Pop Things.
(10) WILL TO POWER – Baby I Love Your Way-Freebird (video)
the song is dreadful shire, obviously, but this suffers the fate of being cut short at the middle 8 - soemthing i've noticed a couple of times now since the revamp.
(19) MARC ALMOND & GENE PITNEY – Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart
I'll cover the song in a later post, but the video shoot in the Neon graveyard in Las Vegas was the first time Almond and Pitney had met.
(8) FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS – She Drives Me Crazy
Philippe Decouflé having another crack at a music video after the success of True Faith. It's not the only thing in common with True Faith either - it's that snare sample again.
(14) FREIHEIT – Keeping The Dream Alive
I don't know about ELO, but to me this always sounded exactly like a missing 80s Sir Fab Macca Thumbs Aloft single. None of the other blokes sang on it either - all the vocals were from Stefan Zauner with what sounds to me like Harmonizer-generated harmonies and Swiss gospel choir The Jackson singers barely audible behind the Harmonizer vocal wash.
(29) COOKIE CREW – Born This Way (Let's Dance)
A Banger, and live too - MC Remedee and Susie Q shoe the likes of Derek B how to do a rap TOTP performance.

daf

Quote from: buzby on January 20, 2020, 09:08:57 PM
I don't know about ELO, but to me this always sounded exactly like a missing 80s Sir Fab Macca Thumbs Aloft single.

Yes, I'd initially pencilled in "Pinch the Pipes of Peace" as my zinger - as it's pretty much the intro for that.

Captain Z

It's only in very recent years that I've heard the full version of 'Something's Gotten Hold...'. For a long time my only frame of reference was the 'Lard's Classic Cuts' version, and so the original just never sounds right to me now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Ssc2urhVA

DrGreggles

Quote from: Captain Z on January 21, 2020, 02:35:36 PM
It's only in very recent years that I've heard the full version of 'Something's Gotten Hold...'. For a long time my only frame of reference was the 'Lard's Classic Cuts' version, and so the original just never sounds right to me now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Ssc2urhVA

From memory I'm thinking that it became 'Something's Gotten Hold Of My Cock', but I'll listen again to make sure.

Seems to be Something's Gotten Into My Arsehole

kalowski

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 21, 2020, 04:56:22 PM
Seems to be Something's Gotten Into My Arsehole
Cause Mark Almond's gay amarite lads. hey?

DrGreggles

I don't think Lard would do that one today; would come across as homophobic despite the intentions.

Aside: One of Pitney's kids is called Maverick.

Censorship issue: the Jive Bunny Xmas No. 1 in December 1989 heavily samples Gary Glitter's Xmas song. Roy Wood re-recorded his 1973 vocal because the label refused copyright permission for a sample:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let%27s_Party_(Jive_Bunny_and_the_Mastermixers_song)

Norton Canes

How far into the song? Could just be truncated a la the Rolf pic in the 'Rocking Around The Christmas Tree' video.

Upon checking, not until 2:53, so ignore my post above

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteI remember the Then Jerico song (which isn't too bad, actually) being on some wretched film Mark Hamill did when trying to break out of his Star Wars typecasting, before figuring out voice-over work was his niche.

Steven (Animalympics, Tron) Lisberger's Slipstream, an odd little post-climate change apocalypse chase adventure, also starring Bob Peck and Bill Paxton. Also on the soundtrack - Robert Parker's Barefootin' and The Yardbirds' Shape Of Things, which impressed me greatly in an era where film soundtracks tended to be 'whatever shit's hot in the charts at the moment'. When Then Jerico are your contenders for that, then you're doing something right. Actual soundtrack music composed by the great Elmer Bernstein.

I quite like it. It's odd, boring in parts, not to everyone's taste - but it still draws me in. And Hamill, for my money, is rather good in it.

Anyway. Back to the charts, pop pickers...

pigamus

The first Doctor Who Magazine I ever bought had an advert for Slipstream on the back. February 1989.

Jockice

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 22, 2020, 11:19:02 AM
Aside: One of Pitney's kids is called Maverick.

So is one of a cousin of mine's kids.

Norton Canes

Fucking hell turns out that presenting the Brits wasn't the most tragic thing Samantha Fox did in 1989

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

PinkNoise

Don't worry, Blue Tulip Rose Read is just around the corner.

Fuck me. Is this the worst TOTP ever? There's some stiff competition, I know.

It's undeniable proof that Top Of The Pops at the moment was appalling. Maybe it was always appalling but by this point I was a proper teen and therefore aware of the actual, real world around me.

The early months of 1989 were incredibly exciting for me, musically - saw Happy Mondays support New Order in March, Hey Music Lover on Big World Cafe, PWEI doing Can You Dig It, I'm weeks away from buying Doolittle by the Pixies as I'm sitting my art A Level.

On TOTP, here's Sam Fox doing another version of I Only Want To Be With You, Michael bloody Balls and Sybil Roscoe (FFS) congratulating Yazz on her Variety Club award.

Someone get me some 1989 Chart Show reruns ASAP. I may have to bail out on the Pops once I've seen The Cure do Lullaby.

Edit: I used to have the Morrissey bit on VHS mixtape! No wonder I didn't tape the rest. All The Smiths sans Johnny there.

Jockice

Quote from: PinkNoise on January 24, 2020, 09:23:19 PM
Don't worry, Blue Tulip Rose Read is just around the corner.

Fuck me. Is this the worst TOTP ever? There's some stiff competition, I know.

It's undeniable proof that Top Of The Pops at the moment was appalling. Maybe it was always appalling but by this point I was a proper teen and therefore aware of the actual, real world around me.

The early months of 1989 were incredibly exciting for me, musically - saw Happy Mondays support New Order in March, Hey Music Lover on Big World Cafe, PWEI doing Can You Dig It, I'm weeks away from buying Doolittle by the Pixies as I'm sitting my art A Level.

On TOTP, here's Sam Fox doing another version of I Only Want To Be With You, Michael bloody Balls and Sybil Roscoe (FFS) congratulating Yazz on her Variety Club award.

Someone get me some 1989 Chart Show reruns ASAP. I may have to bail out on the Pops once I've seen The Cure do Lullaby.

Edit: I used to have the Morrissey bit on VHS mixtape! No wonder I didn't tape the rest. All The Smiths sans Johnny there.

i sat all the way through that bollocks - I'm discounting Robert and Kym here cos I like that one - to watch Mozzer. Excellent song, excellent performance and excellent shirt.

Was that Morrissey's last TOTP in the actual studio until My Love Life* in 1991?

It's a very odd performance because Johnny had been gone for 18 months by this point yet here is Mozza pretending that the lads are still together and it's just the lead guitarists who's fucked off. Marr had to take legal action to stop him using the name The Smiths. It made it understandable why Johnny left, if you didn't already know that Morrissey was being a total prick by 1987.

*It also appears that My Love Life was sung live on TOTP, his first ever live TOTP vocal, I think. It's an absolutely gorgeous performance, to be fair to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoIuD_V5amM

There's another live version on Youtube which is way too fast

daf

2 February 1989: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Steve Wright

(5) HOLLY JOHNSON – Love Train
'king Holl!
(3) ROY ORBISON – You Got It
The Man in Black

(10) ROBERT HOWARD & KYM MAZELLE – Wait
The Man in White
(23) SHEENA EASTON – The Lover In Me
Sheena is a Funk Popper
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(24) MICHAEL BALL – Love Changes Everything
(27) YAZZ – Fine Time
(31) HUE & CRY – Looking For Linda
(29) SAMANTHA FOX – I Only Wanna Be With You
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(22) SIMPLY RED – It's Only Love
Horny bit in the middle
(4) ROACHFORD – Cuddly Toy
Armpit Manbag
(1) MARC ALMOND & GENE PITNEY – Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart (video)
Red Tie at Night / Cummerbund's Too Tight
(18) BOBBY BROWN – My Prerogative (video / credits)
He's Prohibited 

kaprisky

Yeah, I was surprised to see almost all the Smiths there. Didn't he do Everyday Is Like Sunday completely solo when he was on the 'Pops?

I've noticed that the performances are more truncated in 1989, culminating in the Then Jerico song being intruded upon by Gary Davies, stage left!

You can also see why Cuddly Toy was appropriated in Alpha Papa.

daf

9 February 1989: Presenters: Mike Read & Sybil 'Imperiatrix' Ruscoe  (Mike Read's last regular show)

(20) SAMANTHA FOX – I Only Wanna Be With You
Number 4 . . . Number 4 . . . Number 4 . . .
(26) RICK ASTLEY – Hold Me In Your Arms
Tumbleweed Intro
(11) YAZZ – Fine Time
Variety Clubbing

(23) HUE & CRY – Looking For Linda
Looking Like Tony - He's looking like Tony - Old Slattery . . . Looking just like To-ny
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(31) DEF LEPPARD – Rocket
(33) POISON – Every Rose Has Its Thorn
(32) TEXAS – I Don't Want A Lover
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(12) MICHAEL BALL – Love Changes Everything
Get your Balls out for the Mums
(9) BOBBY BROWN – My Prerogative (video)
Mrs Brown's Boy
(6) MORRISSEY – The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
The Last Of The Faded, Old Irrascible Racists
(1)  MARC ALMOND & GENE PITNEY – Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart
Scawoolet?
(2) MIKE & THE MECHANICS – The Living Years (video / credits)
Na-Na Hey-Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: daf on January 25, 2020, 02:25:52 PM
2 February 1989: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Steve Wright

(23) SHEENA EASTON – The Lover In Me
Sheena is a Funk Popper

What on earth was Mayo going on about in his intro?