Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
To be fair Say What You Want is a pretty catchy pop track.

daf

23 February 1989: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & the lovely Susie Mathis

(14) S'EXPRESS – Hey Music Lover
Electronic Filofax
(4) MICHAEL JACKSON – Leave Me Alone (video)
Dirty Tape-head
(32) EDIE BRICKELL & THE NEW BOHEMIANS – What I Am 
Bigmouth Strikes Again
(10) RICK ASTLEY – Hold Me In Your Arms
Min Bygraves
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(33) TYREE FEATURING KOOL ROCK STEADY – Turn Up The Bass
(31) LIVING IN A BOX – Blow The House Down
(30) TONE LOC – Wild Thing
(28) DUSTY SPRINGFIELD – Nothing Has Been Proved
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(16) HUE & CRY – Looking For Linda 
Smooth Stalker
(2) MICHAEL BALL – Love Changes Everything 
Ooff! There go me eardrums!
(1) SIMPLE MINDS – Belfast Child  (video)
I can see by the look on your face, that you've got Ringworm

(12) BANANARAMA & LANANEENEENOONOO – Help (video / credits)
NUJV!

DrGreggles

famethrowa

Quote from: daf on February 02, 2020, 02:06:57 PM

(32) EDIE BRICKELL & THE NEW BOHEMIANS – What I Am 

What I Am? Didn't Popeye say that? Is she ripping off Popeye??

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: famethrowa on February 02, 2020, 02:40:54 PM
What I Am? Didn't Popeye say that? Is she ripping off Popeye??
That or Rene Descartes. I always get those two mixed up.

gilbertharding

Yeah, what was wrong with the tape during that Michael Jackson song? I thought my ears needed cleaning.

Johnboy

1979 - Don't Stop Till you Get enough
1989 - Leave Me Alone

case study in how the sound of pop music disintegrated

DrGreggles

Quote from: Johnboy on February 03, 2020, 02:41:16 AM
1979 - Don't Stop Till you Get enough
1989 - Leave Me Alone

case study in how the sound of pop music disintegrated

1995 - Earth Song

Quote(12) BANANARAMA & LANANEENEENOONOO – Help (video / credits)
NUJV!

All I could think about during this was how hot Dawn French was -_-

Anyway,

Quote(30) TONE LOC – Wild Thing

Liked.

Quote(32) THE STYLE COUNCIL – Promised Land

Paul's had his first E somewhere around ... here.

Quote(38) POP WILL EAT ITSELF – Can U Dig It?

Denied.

Quote(21) TEXAS – I Don't Want A Lover

Everything that has been discussed prior. Their biggest hits are the epitome of "yeah, that's OK"

Norton Canes

Pop fact! Hue And Cry's Pat Kane was one of only two people to stand for Tony Wilson as presenter of The Other Side Of Midnight

buzby

Quote from: daf on February 01, 2020, 11:00:00 AM
16 February 1989: Presenters: Andy Crane & Mark Goodier

(20) DEF LEPPARD – Rocket
6TH single off Hysteria? Who was buying this absolute dogshit bog-standard FM rock?
(2) SIMPLE MINDS – Belfast Child (video)
Haunting and BeaU2ful
FUCK OFF BONO
(33) GLORIA ESTEFAN – Can't Stay Away From You
Singing live, but wasted on the most bland and ineffectual ballad ever.
(24) POISON – Every Rose Has Its Thorn (video)
More dogshite poodle rock
[quoye]
(38) POP WILL EAT ITSELF – Can U Dig It?
[/quote]
The grebos first appearance on TOTP. THe single peaked this week and it would be another year befroe they troubled the Top 40 again.
(21) TEXAS – I Don't Want A Lover
I really hate Texas. As they mentioned themselves in 'The Story Of' episode, the instrumental intro and slide guitar was a blatant ripoff of Ry Cooder's sublime soundtrack for the film Paris, Texas. They even nicked their name from the film's title, and the typography for their debut album cover art from the film's poster.

(17) SAM BROWN – Stop
If at first you don't succeed . . .
Spoiler alert
ask your dad for Jools Holland's phone number
[close]
A bit unfair that, daf - although she had been working a sa session singer and backing vocalist with her mum Vicki since she was 14, her association as a singer with the UK's  pre-eminent boogie woogie piano exponent's band didn't come until a few years after her brief chart career.  The Hammond organ on the track was played by session player Bob Andrews, formerly of pub rockers  Brinsley Schwarz and Graham Parker And The Rumour.

This single was co-written by Brown with LA-based bassist Gregg Sutton (ex-KGB and Lone Justice) and New York keyboard player Bruce Brody (formerly of The Patti Smith Group and Tom Verlaine's band). Brown also arranged the string section parts too. Much like Kim Wilde's work with her brother Ricky, Brown's elder brother Pete co-produced the track (and the rest of it's parent album) with her.

I've always loved this single, mostly because of her vocal performance. Sadly her stellar pipes ultimately betrayed her, leaving her no longer able to sing and instead turning her hand to becoming a ukelele teacher.
(32) THE STYLE COUNCIL – Promised Land
All aboard the house music bandwagin!
(29) S'EXPRESS – Hey Music Lover (video / credits)
i'll get to the track next time, but this video is great - very simple (and apparently made for pennies), and introducing Billy Ray Martin, who is a bit of a star. It also gave session vocalist Eric Robertson his chance in the spotlight too.

There's also a cameo for performance artist and 'face' from the London scene David Cabaret - it was meant to be Moore's friend , the performance artist and host of the Taboo nightclub Leigh Bowery, but he cancelled the night before the shoot. Moore then asked Cabaret if he would appear at short notice, and Bowery then didn't speak to Moore again for employing someone who he considered a lookalike.

Also possibly the first physical appearance of a TB303?

Natnar

Quote from: buzby on February 05, 2020, 10:36:28 PM
6TH single off Hysteria? Who was buying this absolute dogshit bog-standard FM rock?

We were lucky, the US got 7 singles off Hysteria. By 1989 it wouldn't be out of place for record companies to release 5 or more singles from an album. Just look at Leave Me Alone, the 8th (and not the last) single from Bad.

Norton Canes

Quote from: buzby
i'll get to the track next time, but this video is great - very simple (and apparently made for pennies)

It's fantastic, isn't it. Glad they played it right through. Ironically the studio performance the following week doesn't capture an ounce of that exuberance, with them all rooted to the spot.

Singing live, but wasted on the most bland and ineffectual ballad ever

Oh, I dunno, I think it's quite... endearing. Whatever cheesy preset they used for the melody makes it sound like a demo version.

I was trying to think what followed Hysteria, vaguely recalling that it was nowhere near as successful, and my Googling led me to the forgotten terror that is... Let's Get Rocked 

the

Quote from: buzby on February 05, 2020, 10:36:28 PMAlso possibly the first physical appearance of a TB303?

Dougans had one sat there for Humanoid, didn't get a close-up though.

daf

Quote from: buzby on February 05, 2020, 10:36:28 PM
A bit unfair that, daf

Yeah, apologies to both Sam and Jools - sometimes I throw the bucket down the well and just get a load of gravel back!

buzby

Quote from: daf on February 02, 2020, 02:06:57 PM
23 February 1989: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & the lovely Susie Mathis

(14) S'EXPRESS – Hey Music Lover
Electronic Filofax
Quote from: Better Midlands on February 01, 2020, 11:02:21 AM
I think it's their best, at least their most original as there's less sampling than Theme.
Apart from it being a cover of Sly & The Family Stone's Music Lover, part of their Dance To The Music medley. It was only a couple of years after the Nile Rodgers/ Phillipe Saisse/Felicia Collins project Outloud had covered it as the closing track on their album, and less than a year after the KLF had covered Dance To The Music (also combining it with a squelchy acid 303 bassline) on Burn The Bastards.

There were 3 12" releases of this track containing different mixes. The main 12" G-OO-D Vibration Mix and the Music Is My Life Mix album edit were by Moore & regular 'Marks Brothers' production partner Mark McGuire. The second 12" featured the Spatial Expansion Mix by Moore's friend William Orbit, and the third 12" featured Philip Glass' chopped-up The Glass Cut and the virtually unrecognisable Red Giant Mix by Mute/Rhythm King head honcho Daniel Miller. The CD single further included the Miller Mash Glass Smash,  a megamix of the two mixes for the 3rd 12" produced again by William Orbit. For the US release Shep Pettibone produced a raft of mixes, but it's Shep Pettibone in 1989 so you can probably imagine what they sound like if you have heard his PSB or New Order remixes of the era.

The Philip Glass connection came about via a journalist friend of Moore's who had interviewed Glass. Moore was a fan of his work, and asked if he could put them in contact. They eventually met and Glass was interested in how Moore felt house music related to his work, which led Moore to suggest Glass should come to a rave with him and his friends. Glass accepted, and also joined in with the pills too.

Afterwards, he travelled back to New York to work on the remix with his engineer Kurt Munkacsi, which was composed as a score on paper, transcribed into a sequencer and the notes assigned to cut-up samples of the track using an Emulator II and Akai S900. The first attempt was then sent to Moore, who thought there was too much S'Express and not enough Glass in it, so a second mix was produced, and it was that which was eventually released.

The TOTP performance carries over elements of the video - Martin and Alexander are present on backing vocals (during the recording sessions at Beethoven Street Studios, the teaboy, a pre-fame Seal, was considered for Eric Alexander's vocal parts), Moore is twiddling the knobs on his TB-303 and Linda Love's toy piano sits atop a Roland JX-8P. No David Cabaret though, sadly.
(4) MICHAEL JACKSON – Leave Me Alone (video)
Dirty Tape-head
Tape stretch, I think - if it was a dirty head the wobble would have carried on throughout the rest of the recording. The video was by Jim Blashfield, using his 'cut out' animation and digital compositing style seen previously on his videos for Talking Heads, Nu Shooz and Paul Simon.
(30) TONE LOC – Wild Thing
The first of Loc's 2 forays into the Top 40 this year. The track was based around samples of Van Halen's Jamie's Cryin, which Delicious Vinyl had cleared for a $5000 flat fee to the band's management, who hadn't run it past the band first. When it became a hit in the US, the members of Van Halen finally heard the track and sued Loc's label, which was settled out of court for $180000.

The lyrics were written by label-mate Young MC (whose own 'Know How' had been released in 1988 but only just entered the Top 100, and 'Bust A Move' would be released later this year, but also failed to crack the Top 40), as apparently Loc's own rhymes were a bit too spicy for radio play. The song would be used later in the year in the soundtrack for Uncle Buck. The video is a rather shonky parody of Addicted To Love, which looks all of the $500 it cost to make.

buzby

Quote from: the on February 06, 2020, 10:17:00 AM
Dougans had one sat there for Humanoid, didn't get a close-up though.
Of course! I actually mentioned it in his rig rundown at the time.

Quote from: daf on February 06, 2020, 11:09:51 AM
Yeah, apologies to both Sam and Jools - sometimes I throw the bucket down the well and just get a load of gravel back!
No need to apologise for Holland - he deserves all he gets.

boki

Quote from: buzby on February 06, 2020, 12:13:42 PMNo need to apologise for Holland - he deserves all he gets.

I wonder if he's ever had a crywank over Chas & Dave's Poor Old Mr. Woogie.  Bet it fair tugs at the heartstrings, if nothing else.

daf

2 March 1989: Presenters: Gary Davies & Anthea 'Cocaine' Turner

(17) LIVING IN A BOX – Blow The House Down
Fourth Little Pig : Cardboard
(4) SAM BROWN – Stop 
Gentlemen Prefer Browns
(9) JASON DONOVAN – Too Many Broken Hearts (video)
Lonely Hearts?

(16) TYREE featuring KOOL ROCK STEADY – Turn Up The Bass 
Yeah!  . . . Wooh!  . . . Yeah!  . . . Wooh!
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(23) DEPECHE MODE – Everything Counts (live)
(26) DEACON BLUE – Wages Day
(30) DONNA SUMMER – This Time I Know It's For Real
(28) WASP – Mean Man
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(10) GLORIA ESTEFAN – Can't Stay Away From You 
23 Estefan Cuttings
(8) TEXAS – I Don't Want A Lover 
Lone State Star
(1) SIMPLE MINDS – Belfast Child (video)
Simply Grey
(14) POISON – Every Rose Has Its Thorn (video / credits)
Mind the Pricks!

Non Stop Dancer

When Jason came on I turned to the wife and said "Jesus, he's fucking gorgeous isn't he." I mean, that skin, that hair. Absolute specimen.

PinkNoise

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 01, 2020, 11:02:21 AM
Nice sample from The Stepford Wives though.

https://youtu.be/D8HERyQwMO4?t=59
One of the 12" mixes of Hey Music Lover has a ton of samples from Texas Chainsaw Massacre II, particularly from the scene where Chop Top visits the radio station. That film was only available on murky bootleg at the time as it was refused a video release by the BBFC. "L.O.V.E...X.I.T...Exit!"

PinkNoise

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on January 26, 2020, 02:29:15 PM
What on earth was Mayo going on about in his intro?
Bit late to the party here, but was this where he was talking about The Big Time? That was the reality TV documentary show that gave Easton her big break. That was back in 1980, so it was a surprise to see her at the end of the decade, hanging out with Prince and being all sexy like.

Quote from: PinkNoise on February 08, 2020, 04:45:25 PM
One of the 12" mixes of Hey Music Lover has a ton of samples from Texas Chainsaw Massacre II, particularly from the scene where Chop Top visits the radio station. That film was only available on murky bootleg at the time as it was refused a video release by the BBFC. "L.O.V.E...X.I.T...Exit!"

It's the Fluffy Bagel mix of Superfly Guy, you can hear its sampled from some murky bootleg too.https://youtu.be/QkMLNLDAXB0

Some inspired sampling from Moore, he makes the main hook of the remix from it.

Vocal = https://youtu.be/cIG0COsZmjg?t=53
Hook = https://youtu.be/cIG0COsZmjg?t=70

Edit: Actually you're quite right, the bit you quoted from the same scene as above is at the end of the G-OO-D mix of Hey Music Lover

https://youtu.be/CobRAnyDhKc?t=393

Quote(1) SIMPLE MINDS – Belfast Child (video)
Simply Grey

Not heard this song before this run of TOTPs and I can safely say I do not want to ever hear it again. Dirge.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: A Hat Like That on February 10, 2020, 12:00:51 PM
Not heard this song before this run of TOTPs and I can safely say I do not want to ever hear it again. Dirge.

I bought it on 7-inch.

Bobby Treetops

daf

9 March 1989: Presenters: Nicky Campbell, Lenny Henry & Hale & Pace (Comic Relief Special)

(17) THE REYNOLDS GIRLS – I'd Rather Jack
Yeah, Up yours, Grandad!
(16) DUSTY SPRINGFIELD – Nothing Has Been Proved
John Supremo
(24) WOMACK & WOMACK – Celebrate The World
Two Rons don't link it right
(18) DEACON BLUE – Wages Day
Blue-collar
(15) PAULA ABDUL – Straight Up
Wand'rin Stars
(3) BANANARAMA & LANANEENEENOONOO – Help (video)
The Fab Six

(11) DONNA SUMMER – This Time I Know It's For Real
Donna International
(1) JASON DONOVAN – Too Many Broken Hearts (video)
Big Chopper
(21) WASP – Mean Man (video / credits)
Yee-ha! Woof!

gilbertharding

That Comic Relief presenting team was like amateur hour. Flubbed lines, really bad timing, apparently one microphone between three people.

When did the people who make Comic Relief singles finally give up on the idea of having spoken asides between verses, and including jokes which only made sense if you were watching the video?

I like to think of I'd Rather Jack as the last great protest song.

And I also like to think about the way Anthea Turner pronounced the word W.A.S.P. to rhyme with 'rasp' as if it had never occurred to her that the acronym was, coincidentally, also the name of a striped flying insect.

daf

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 10, 2020, 05:02:31 PM
I like to think of I'd Rather Jack as the last great protest song.

Of course, Motown doesn't get a mention, as Pete likes them!

Probably the best song on the show, though - some lovely squiddly Roland 303 bits in there.

boki

Quote from: daf on February 10, 2020, 05:10:20 PM
Of course, Motown doesn't get a mention, as Pete likes them!

Yeah, it's a bit rich seeing as he's also got Kylie, Jason and Rick all crooning hoary old ballads.  Maybe the lasses themselves had more creative control than we'd assume?