Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:38:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Also

Quote(33) BANGLES – Eternal Flame

now, I know they were different chart dynamics, but that one surprised me a little bit. Just checked - it takes the roundabout route, doesn't it!

Good point. It took 11 weeks to reach No. 1. Wiki: ""Eternal Flame" made a rambling eight-week chart ascent into the Top 40 before vaulting 20 positions to #13 on the chart dated 1 April 1989 - the week of the single's being #1 on the Hot 100 - reaching #1 on the UK singles chart dated 15 April 1989 and remaining there for three additional weeks. The single was still in the UK Top 40 (at #38) dated 17 June 1989, at which point the single was deleted."

daf

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 17, 2020, 01:59:03 PM
"Eternal Flame" made a rambling eight-week chart ascent into the Top 40 before vaulting 20 positions to #13 on the chart dated 1 April 1989

I suppose that must be down to it's appearance the breakers section in that last show - I wonder if it would have made it to the top without that spotlight.

buzby

Quote from: daf on February 15, 2020, 12:00:07 PM
16 March 1989: Presenters: Simon Mayo, Sybil 'Emperor' Ruscoe & Rod McKenzie
They persevered with Roscoe, didn't they? She has the personality of a newsreader (much like the in explicable reappearance of Rod McKenzie).
(22) NEW ORDER – Round & Round
As I've mentioned on here before, this second single from Technique was not really meant to be a single. The band and Rob Gretton wanted the sublime Vanishing Point to be the next single, but Tony Wilson thought that Round & Round would go down better with dance music audiences (despite seemingly not catching on that Sumner's lyrics were inspired by the breakdown of his relationship with Wilson). He overruled Gretton and the band and made a bet with Gretton that if it was released and didn't get into the Top 5 he would resign, which was immortalised as FAC 253. As it turned out, the track climbed one place the week after this performance and then fell back down the charts. Wilson 'honoured' the bet by resigning from Factory for one day.

As mentioned for Fine Time, the rough demos of the Technique tracks had names in the form of 'The xxxx One', and Round & Round started off as 'The Funky One'. I think it's a great song, but not as good as Vanishing Point. I remember the reviewer in Record Mirror's singles page commenting that the percussion was too busy and skittery for clubbers to dance to, and I can sort of see his point. For the single release, it was remixed by Stephen Hague in both 7" and 12" versions with the B-side being their instrumental theme for Granada's Best & Marsh archive football show.

The Round & Remix 12" featured the Club Mix and the Detroit Mix by Kevin Saunderson. There was also a DJ-only promo 12" that combined the Detroit Mix with a different  Twelve Inch Mix by US producer Ben Grosse which includes some elements of another track off Technique, Mr Disco. The CD maxi-single also saw the inclusion of the instrumental version of Vanishing Point that had been produced by The Other Two for the soundtrack of the BBC comedy drama series Making Out (the filming of which ni Manchester was responsible for them being introduced to Keith Allen). Sumner apparently was not a fan of the plethora of remixes, with Hague's 12" version being his preferred mix.

Peter Saville's sleeve design was another of Trevor Key's Dichromat false-colour photographs, this time of a renaissance bust, inspired by Saville having seen Jeff Koons' bust of Louis XIV at an exhibition. To promote the single a batch of 20 8" plaster replicas of the bust were made and inscribed 'Little Lewie for New Order'.

Michael Shamberg of Factory US commissioned the promo video, which was directed by New York artist and designer Paula Grief based around the lyric 'The picture you see is no portait of me' It consisted of 8 up-and-coming young models sitting in front of the camera, intercut with flash frames of vegetables being cut, milk being spilled, flowers, fish, marbles etc. Most of the models went on to become Vogue front cover stars, and one in particular, Patty Sylvia was featured solo in an alternative cut for TV in the USA. The video received some criticism at the time for being sexist and objectifying women, though this seemed to miss the fact it was directed by a woman.

For the performance We get a similar setup as for Fine Time - Steve is mostly triggering drum samples on an Akai in his rack (along with a Simmons brain) via the Octapad. Hook has a bit more to do this time and has his trademark custom Eccleshall EB2 copy (and has painted 'NERO' on his speaker cab for some reason), Gillian has a half-rack containing their two Voyetra 8s, an Akai sampler and the Yamaha TX816 multi-DX7 module, controlled by the Mac running Master Tracks Pro and instead of the Emulator III she has a rare Yamaha YS200 FM workstation keyboard. Sumner has an oddball thinline Telecaster, and is wearing more rings and chains than Mr T. He also appears to be sober, as he gets the words right, but the main tell is he has his eyes closed.
(25) CHANELLE – One Man
Real name Charlene Munford. This sounded very New York to my ears, and sure enough it was a Frankie Knuckles & David Morales remix.
(23) FUZZBOX – International Rescue
Hmm, it's very Bananarama, isnt it? The lead single off their Big Bang! all-in commercial pop album. It was the result of putting them to work with Akron native Liam Sternberg, writer of Walk Like An Egyptian for The Bangles. He co-wrote half the album with them (including both the big hit singles) snd the album was produced by ex-Strawbs keyboard player Andy Richards. He had got into production through being one of Trevor Horn's assistants at ZTT, working on FGTH and Propaganda singles, and came to work with Fuzzbox after co-production duties on Prefab Sprout's From Langley Park To Memphis, Heart for the PSBs and Holly Johnson's Blast! solo album, so he was on a bit of a hot streak.
(15) SOUL II SOUL featuring CARON WHEELER – Keep On Movin'
Back to Live
He made a big thing about 'performing live' in the Story Of 89 doc, didn't he? It's a pity he's then aimlessly fingering that KX5 keytar when Caron Wheeler is doing al lthe hard work (Nellee Hooper doesn't appear to be doing much on the Fairlight Series III and Octapad either)
(21) GUNS N' ROSES – Paradise City (video / credits)
Quite why anyone would choose to listen to Axl making a sound like his balls are in a vice is beyond me. They cut Soul II Soul and New Order short so we could hear more of this!

BTW, daf, what happened to the Alison Williams/Kim Wilde/Elvis Costello/NMA 'Breakers' section of this post?

buzby

The image link above seems to have broken - here's another picture of the promo plaster bust:

gilbertharding

Quote from: buzby on February 18, 2020, 12:27:36 AM
They persevered with Ruscoe, didn't they? She has the personality of a newsreader (much like the in explicable reappearance of Rod McKenzie).

I occasionally hear Sybil Ruscoe if I have an early start - because she sometimes presents Farming Today on Radio 4.

She also seems to be a terrible, terrible, Tory.

daf

BTW, daf, what happened to the Alison Williams/Kim Wilde/Elvis Costello/NMA 'Breakers' section of this post?

Oops! Well spotted - here's the missing bit :

16 March 1989: Presenters: Simon Mayo, Sybil 'Terrible Tory' Ruscoe & Rod McKenzie

- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(28) ALYSON WILLIAMS - Sleep Talk
(31) ELVIS COSTELLO - Veronica
(36) KIM WILDE - Love In The Natural Way
(37) NEW MODEL ARMY - Vagabond
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(That section was missing from an old Popscene listing I'd downloaded a few years ago - I should have spotted it though!)

Real name Charlene Munford. This sounded very New York to my ears, and sure enough it was a Frankie Knuckles & David Morales remix.

Yes, this was written and produced by Blaze. Both Chanelle and Blaze are from New Jersey and this track came from the scene created around Tony Humphries and the Zanzibar club in NJ.

Adeva also came from the same scene and this was the first time house music was marketed in the UK as "Garage" (confusingly named after the Paradise Garage).

Johnboy

I love the way Hooky throws in a few more parts that aren't on the record.

Kim Wilde always had her own Kim Wilde dance in fairness to her.

People Hold On is quite the banger.

kaprisky

Was that Marr on harmonica and guitar on The Beat(en) Generation? If so then ALL of The Smiths were on in 1989.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: kaprisky on February 22, 2020, 02:41:49 PM
Was that Marr on harmonica and guitar on The Beat(en) Generation? If so then ALL of The Smiths were on in 1989.
Indeed, alongside drummer David Palmer (ex-ABC) and bassist James Eller, I think last seen with Julian Cope in the 'Saint Julian' days.

daf

30 March 1989: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & Gary Davies

(16) PAT & MICK – I Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet
Loadsamullet
(13) BANGLES – Eternal Flame (video)
Sand Witch
(25) ROACHFORD – Family Man
Rock Bitch
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(34) BROTHER BEYOND – Can You Keep A Secret?
(30) PAUL SIMPSON featuring ADEVA – Musical Freedom (Moving On Up)
(33) TRANSVISION VAMP – Baby I Don't Care
(26) THE THE – The Beat(en) Generation
Trad. Marr.
(6) GUNS N' ROSES – Paradise City (video)
Runs n' Poses
(11) FUZZBOX – International Rescue
Super Marionettes
(22) THE CULT – Fire Woman
Trouser Snake
(1) MADONNA – Like A Prayer (video)
Like a Play

(10) KON KAN – I Beg Your Pardon (video / credits)
New New Order

daf

6 April 1989: Presenters: Simon Mayo & Anthea Turner

(22) BROTHER BEYOND – Can You Keep A Secret?

(8)   KON KAN – I Beg Your Pardon (video)
(14) HOLLY JOHNSON – Americanos
(3)   PAULA ABDUL – Straight Up (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(37) COOKIE CREW (with EDWIN STARR) – Got To Keep On
(32) YELLO – Of Course I'm Lying
(27) ROY ORBISON – She's A Mystery To Me
(34) T'PAU – Only The Lonely
(12) COLDCUT featuring LISA STANSFIELD – People Hold On
(19) SIMPLY RED – If You Don't Know Me By Now
(16) TRANSVISION VAMP – Baby I Don't Care
(1)   MADONNA – Like A Prayer(video)
(21) INXS – Mystify (video / credits)

kalowski

Quote from: daf on February 23, 2020, 03:25:53 PM
(12) COLDCUT featuring LISA STANSFIELD – People Hold On
I'd forgotten just how good this was, and how cool (and sexy) Lisa Stansfield was.

Jockice

Quote from: kalowski on February 23, 2020, 04:00:40 PM
I'd forgotten just how good this was, and how cool (and sexy) Lisa Stansfield was.

I really fancied her. For several years. I even had a girlfriend in the early 90s who told my mum about it.

Norton Canes

There's some absolutely magnificent mugging to camera by Stansfield at the start of that studio performance (13:54). Almost Rik Mayall-esque.

Quote(16) TRANSVISION VAMP – Baby I Don't Care

yes.

Quote from: Jockice on February 23, 2020, 04:11:40 PM
I really fancied her. For several years. I even had a girlfriend in the early 90s who told my mum about it.
I bet this music video got you going https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzYpHXCumII

Jockice

Norton Canes

Is it true that Lisa Stansfield eventually quit the music businesses because of a preponderance of unpleasant snobs? I remember her saying something about too many stuck-up shits.

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 24, 2020, 04:35:28 PM
Is it true that Lisa Stansfield eventually quit the music businesses because of a preponderance of unpleasant snobs? I remember her saying something about too many stuck-up frozen shits.

FTFY

kalowski

Norton Canes

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 24, 2020, 05:08:12 PM
Er yes that was my humourous implication

Just trying to bump our ranking on Google for lisa+stansfield+frozen+shits, we're on the front page but in a disappointing 4th place.

kalowski

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 24, 2020, 10:39:43 AM
There's some absolutely magnificent mugging to camera by Stansfield at the start of that studio performance (13:54). Almost Rik Mayall-esque.
Yes! That's what I loved. She clearly didn't give a hoot and was just enjoying herself.

Johnboy

that Guns n Roses clip - back when crowds at the front of gigs were completely out of control, brilliant

famethrowa

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 24, 2020, 04:35:28 PM
Is it true that Lisa Stansfield eventually quit the music businesses because of a preponderance of unpleasant snobs? I remember her saying something about too many stuck-up shits.

I think it was because she lost her babeh