Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:20:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuntbeaks

I remember James Whale heavily promoting Edelweiss on his TV show. Must admit, i absolutely loved it, despite being massively into The Fall and Laibach at the time.

Egyptian Feast

That Stefan Dennis song was fantastically shit in every possible way. Biggest laugh I've had in a while. Really cheered me up, it did.

Ricky Ross' face does my head in. Looking at it is an actively unpleasant experience.

daf

18 May 1989: Presenters: Mark Goodier & Anthea Turner

(28) SHAKIN' STEVENS – Love Attack
(20) BOBBY BROWN – Every Little Step  (video)
(10) ROXETTE – The Look
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(34) ALYSON WILLIAMS ft. NIKKI D – My Love Is So Raw
(31) SAM BROWN – Can I Get A Witness?
(32) DIANA ROSS  –  Workin' Overtime
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(22) PAUL MCCARTNEY – My Brave Face (video)
(26) NENEH CHERRY – Manchild

(17) STEFAN DENNIS – Don't It Make You Feel Good  (video)
(25) DEACON BLUE – Fergus Sings The Blues
(1)   VARIOUS – Ferry Cross The Mersey  (video)
(23) CAPPELLA – Helyom Halib  (video / credits)

kaprisky

Two cracking episodes.

I wonder why PC Reg Hollis was in the dock? Probably failed to fill out paperwork correctly at Sun Hill leading to a release of a multiple murderer.

Also had no idea that Prisoner: Cell Block H had a theme tune or that the singer looked a bit like Stevie Nicks (or maybe Lynsey De Paul) and sang a little bit like Dusty.

And Manchild was a great follow-up to Buffalo Stance.

non capisco

Funky Cold Medina by Tone Loc hasn't exactly aged well, has it? The overall premise is a bit Bill Cosby-esque before you even get to the trans/homophobia.

DrGreggles

Quote from: kaprisky on March 21, 2020, 05:24:28 PM
And Manchild was a great follow-up to Buffalo Stance.

I find Manchild really frustrating.
It starts like it's going to be something amazing, but it runs out of steam so quickly.

You may say that, in that sense, it sums up Neneh Cherry's career rather well....

steveh

Quote from: non capisco on March 21, 2020, 10:16:52 PM
Funky Cold Medina by Tone Loc hasn't exactly aged well, has it? The overall premise is a bit Bill Cosby-esque before you even get to the trans/homophobia.

It most definitely hasn't.

Always preferred the bonus beats version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYlXtd4o2KE

daf

25 May 1989: Presenter: Simon Mayo

(5) EDELWEISS – Bring Me Edelweiss

(26) TONE LOC – Funky Cold Medina (video)
(21) SAM BROWN – Can I Get A Witness? (video)
(31) ROBERT PALMER – Change His Ways
(13) LYNNE HAMILTON – On The Inside
Slopping Out
(12) CAPPELLA – Helyom Halib (video)
(19) DONNA SUMMER – I Don't Wanna Get Hurt
(1)   VARIOUS – Ferry Cross The Mersey (video)
(27) WASP – The Real Me (video / credits)

daf

1 June 1989: Presenters: Gary Davies & Anthea 'Cocaine' Turner

(19) SINITTA – Right Back Where We Started From
(2)   NATALIE COLE – Miss You Like Crazy (video)
(10) MADONNA – Express Yourself (video)
(20) DOUBLE TROUBLE & REBEL MC – Just Keep Rockin'
(23) WASP – The Real Me (video)
(5)   NENEH CHERRY – Manchild
(22) CYNDI LAUPER – I Drove All Night (video)
(24) FUZZBOX – Pink Sunshine

(1)   VARIOUS – Ferry Cross The Mersey (video)
(14) GUNS N' ROSES – Sweet Child O' Mine (video / credits)

The Culture Bunker

Poor old Craig from Bros. He really got the rough end of the deal from being sacked.

kaprisky

How does Wendy James top the second performance of Baby I Don't Care (the bra one) for the new single? Of course by strolling onto stage in a Barbarella outfit, covered in oil!

gilbertharding

It took the Record Buying Public a disturbingly long time to realise that listening to Transfusion Vamp without the dubious appeal of being able to see Wendy James while doing so was a complete waste of time.

I mean, that song is absolute dogshit, isn't it? Their very best work is about the level of Generation X B Side...

Norton Canes

Yeah fucks sake Wendy, why can't you just wear what blokes think is appropriate?

Bobby Treetops

Being a teenage boy at the time I was too distracted to realize all Transvision Vamp songs sound the same.

daf

8 June 1989: Presenter: Nicky Campbell

(25) TRANSVISION VAMP – The Only One
Baby Oil Don't Care
(2) CLIFF RICHARD – The Best Of Me (video)
Cliff and Jesus Sitting in a Tree . . .
(8) GUNS N' ROSES – Sweet Child O' Mine (video)
(23) THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH – Song For Whoever
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(36) VIXEN – Love Made Me
(38) DONNA ALLEN – Joy and Pain
(37) NEW MODEL ARMY – Green and Grey
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(26) PAULA ABDUL – Forever Your Girl (video)
(19) D MOB featuring LRS – It Is Time To Get Funky
(12) SOUL II SOUL – Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) (video)
(1)   JASON DONOVAN – Sealed With A Kiss
Kneecapped with a Key change

(33) BANANARAMA – Cruel Summer '89 (video / credits)

famethrowa

Quote from: daf on March 29, 2020, 02:23:01 PM

(1)   JASON DONOVAN – Sealed With A Kiss
Kneecapped with a Key change

One of the very few Tierce de Picardie in pop?

daf

Ah, is that what it was -

It's not so jarring on the Brian Hyland original *, but SAW really botch that bit with their little hands of concrete!

- - - - -
* (the Hyland version allows the un-accompanied vocal to ring out and act as a natural bridge between the two keys - smoothing the transition, whereas the 'hard' change in the Donovan version makes it sound like it was clumsily spliced in from another take.)

gilbertharding

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 28, 2020, 08:46:04 PM
Yeah fucks sake Wendy, why can't you just wear what blokes think is appropriate?

Hold on.

I'm specifically saying 'What Wendy James Is Wearing' is the very smallest part of my problem with them.

She is a brilliant pop star, if you ignore all the music except for Baby I Don't Care and I Want Your Love. I speak as someone who bought their album. Imagine how I felt, when I actually tried to listen to it.

This current tune - The Only One - is rubbish in its own terms. Completely forgettable, no hooks, tune all over the place. The only good thing about it is Wendy covered in oil, turning up late. And that's not on the record.

#edit# actually I just listened to it again, and it's not that bad. It is a retread of one or both of their good ones though.

Norton Canes

Meant to say, I loved the bit in the 1st June edition when the camera cuts too quickly to the presenters after Fuzzbox and Gary has to rescue Anthea, who is stunned like a deer in the headlights. Shades of him bailing out Bill Wyman and Ronnie Wood at the '89 Brits.

Jockice

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on March 29, 2020, 12:52:06 AM
Being a teenage boy at the time I was too distracted to realize all Transvision Vamp songs sound the same.

No they don't. Tell That Girl To Shut Up has a different tune. And different writers.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: Jockice on March 31, 2020, 11:55:26 AM
No they don't. Tell That Girl To Shut Up has a different tune. And different writers.

Sorry, must have been too distracted to realize.

Jockice

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on March 31, 2020, 12:47:25 PM
Sorry, must have been too distracted to realize.

I had the original you know. By Holly And The Italians. I think it's fair to say that TV didn't do a radical reworking of it.

famethrowa

Quote from: Jockice on March 31, 2020, 01:08:28 PM
Holly And The Italians

Wow! I didn't know that was an actual known band, I've only ever heard of them in relation to how "Holly" broke Mark Knopfler's brain for a while.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: famethrowa on April 01, 2020, 12:13:48 AM
Wow! I didn't know that was an actual known band, I've only ever heard of them in relation to how "Holly" broke Mark Knopfler's brain for a while.
I suppose she deserves some kudos for getting him to write a song that I don't actually mind (even quite like) hearing.

Jockice

Quote from: famethrowa on April 01, 2020, 12:13:48 AM

You see, I didn't even know they'd even met, let alone that they'd had a relationship and that one of Dire Straits' biggest songs came out of it. You really do learn something every day.

famethrowa

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 01, 2020, 09:25:04 AM
I suppose she deserves some kudos for getting him to write a song that I don't actually mind (even quite like) hearing.
Quote from: Jockice on April 01, 2020, 12:28:54 PM
You see, I didn't even know they'd even met, let alone that they'd had a relationship and that one of Dire Straits' biggest songs came out of it. You really do learn something every day.

That, and another much nastier song in the form of "It Never Rains" on the next album.

Jockice

Quote from: famethrowa on April 01, 2020, 02:42:52 PM
That, and another much nastier song in the form of "It Never Rains" on the next album.

Bloody hell, I see what you mean. It's certainly no Walk Of Life, is it?

Mind you, it's hard to feel sorry for someone who chucked his own brother out of the band.

buzby

Quote from: daf on March 21, 2020, 12:18:39 PM
18 May 1989: Presenters: Mark Goodier & Anthea Turner
Oh God, Turner is about 70% barnet. I think it's leeching all the blood out of her brain too.
color=brown](28)[/color] SHAKIN' STEVENS – Love Attack
A Casio FZ1 on a Shaky appearance? Blimey!
(20) BOBBY BROWN – Every Little Step  (video)
We enter into prime New Jack Swing territory with L.A. & Babyface and their ORCH HIT OVERLOAD. The Fairlight finally hits the US urban music scene.
(10) ROXETTE – The Look
Another ludicrous barnet on Per Gessle
(31) SAM BROWN – Can I Get A Witness?
Another chance for Sam to show off her powerhouse voice on this soul standard. Dad Joe on lead guitar too.
(26) NENEH CHERRY – Manchild
]
Amazing tune, and a fine follow-up to Buffalo Stance. Produced by her partner Booga Bear this time, though Tim Simenon does still appear doing the scratching. The string arrangement was by Will Malone, who would go on to arrange the strings on Massive Attack's Unfinished Sympathy (the recording of which was financed by Cherry and her partner). Much later he would also arrange the strings n The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony
(1)   VARIOUS – Ferry Cross The Mersey  (video)
The sentiment is nice and i'm sure it was well-intentioned, but I've always thought Waterman's involvement in this was a bit opportunistic. Apparently Fab Macca Thumbs Aloft wanted to redo his vocalising in the middle 8 as he'd gone out of tune, but Waterman told him it was staying in as it showed the emotion. Linda later said to Pete that he was one of the few people who had ever said 'no' to Paul in the studio. Gerry Marsden was also disappointed on hearing the finished track as he was hardly on it.

Quote from: daf on March 22, 2020, 11:39:43 AM
25 May 1989: Presenter: Simon Mayo
Mayo firmly intot the 'Smug Simon' role once occupied by Batesy.
(26) TONE LOC – Funky Cold Medina (video)
Yeah, lyrically this hasn't aged well. Again written by Young MC, though I think more of Mr. Loc's more risque style has come out in this. Like Wild Thing, this was build from a  mass of samples - the drum break combines Fnkadelic's Get Off Your Ass and Jam and The Stones' Honky Tonk Woman (there's also a brief snatch of Satisfaction wen it gets mentioned in the lyrics) and the guitar riff is made from samples of Foreigner's Hot Blooded and KISS's Christine Sixteen.

After the success of Wild Thing, they have at least spent a few bob on the video this time as it doesn't lok like it was filmed in someone's spare room with a camcorder. This was Loc's last chart appearance here , the following single I Got It Goin; On failed to break the Top 40, and the lead single from his 1991 second album failed to chart.
(13) LYNNE HAMILTON – On The Inside
Hamilton was originally born in Lancashire and had been a singer in the sixties Merseybeat scene. She emigrated to Australia in 1971, woring in restaurant and car rental businesses with singing as a sideline. In 1978 she was asked by some Grundy TV execs during an encounter at a Christmas party if she could record the theme song (written by Grundy Music's Alan Caswell for their new soap Prisoner. The next day, during her first run through in the studio she burst into tears half way though, which Caswell was ecstatic with.. It was released as a single (complete with video filmed on thr set of the show) and reached #4 in the Australian charts. She recorded an album of the dame name off the back of the single, but after that music returned to being her secondary career.

In 1988 Yorkshire TV had picked up Prisoner as cheap filler for their new night-time schedules (though it had to be renamed 'Prisoner: Cell Block H' to avoid any copyright infringement with ITC's Patrick McGoohan series). by 1989 most of the other ITV regions had also started showing it, and the single was finally released in the UK by UK disco/Hi-NRG indie label A1 Records)  to capitalise on the series' new-found popularity.

A mad scramble then ensued to try and locate Hamilton to promote the single, as in the 10 years since it was originally released she had moved again to the US to work as a songwriter, and nobody knew her whereabouts. By chance she had been unable to get a green card and so travelled back to Australia, and  on contacting her agent she was told to travel ot the UK for promo duties, arriving just in time for this TOTP performance.

After the singles success in the UK, she was sked to record a song for another Grundy production, this time In Your Arms (The Love Song From Neighbours) which was used for Joe & Kerry Mangel's wedding, and later when Henry left the show. This did not prove to be a hit, and after this she was 'born again' and became an evangelist minister on Australia's Gold Coast.
(12) CAPPELLA – Helyom Halib (video)
The 'advance guard' of the Italo House scene arrives, preparing the landing ground for the steamroller of Black Box, Starlight and the FPI Project to come. IT had actually been released the previous year in Italy, and is another sample collage (whih was much easier to do in Italy due to their oddball copyright laws). The intro comes from the intro of Yello's Goldrush over the bongos from the O'Jays' I Love Music, the vocal line from LNR's Work It To The Bone[url=http://(which became a bit of a sampling staple around this time) and the [url=https://youtu.be/AuL9u9oJXkc]countdown from the intro] (which became a bit of a sampling staple around this time) and the [url=https://youtu.be/AuL9u9oJXkc]countdown from the intro of Propaganda's Jewel, amongst many more. It's a bi of a banger, mind, and hasn't dated as badly as some of the early entries in the sample collage genre.
(19) DONNA SUMMER – I Don't Wanna Get Hurt
This is the most basic S/A/W production line filler, and Waterman should be ashamed for asking Donna Summer to sing it.

Quote from: buzby on April 01, 2020, 10:22:52 PM
In 1988 Yorkshire TV had picked up Prisoner as cheap filler for their new night-time schedules (though it had to be renamed 'Prisoner: Cell Block H' to avoid any copyright infringement with ITC's Patrick McGoohan series). by 1989 most of the other ITV regions had also started showing it, and the single was finally released in the UK by UK disco/Hi-NRG indie label A1 Records) to capitalise on the series' new-found popularity.

I got quite fascinated with A1 Records a few weeks ago after watching Limmy reacting to Steve Walsh's cover of The Fatback Band's I Found Lovin' on Twitch.

As well as the larger than life Soul DJ's top 10 hit and the PCBH theme mentioned above they had a small roster of artists that could be at best described as eclectic. Releasing tracks from Northern Ireland TV personality Rose Marie, Balearic favourites Gipsy Kings, Chas & Dave (at the scrag end of their career), MC Miker G (of Holiday Rap fame), Tottenam Hotspur, Tony Christie, General Levy and Frank (brother of Sylvster) Stallone they managed to get Michael Elphick into the studio fresh off the back of his Boon fame to record his only single - the proto rap Gotcha, it's hard to find much information on tha must listen track apart from on Amazon for some reason where it has 13 reviews and scores 2.8/5.

"A forgotten classic with hidden depths

On an initial hearing, this could easily be dismissed as a distasteful, rather creepy meditation on kidnapping, false imprisonment and sexual deviance. Largely, that's because it's exactly what it is. But, in fairness, it is done very stylishly.

Elphick's gruff tones perfectly capture the grimy world of the sexual predator, but simultaneously imbue the lyrics with an almost tender, loving quality - he clearly cares deeply for the female focus of the song but is doomed to ruin the relationship before it even has the chance to begin. His quest is a self-fulfilling prophecy of capture, alienation and, ultimately, loss.

Elphick is now, sadly, no longer with us but I can see him now, up in heaven, with a recently abducted angel tied up in a basement, seeking love in the afterlife."

monkfromhavana

I remember listening to Gotcha a few years ago and thought it to be one of the most disturbing records I'd ever listened to.

So, full props for that.