Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:02:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

I dunno. I always found the lyrics a bit too creepy for me, all that creeping into rooms with a right horn on in the middle of the night. I can't remember the Cyndi Lauper version to know if it's sounds less sinister with a woman singing it.

famethrowa

I love the fact that I Drove All Night was first released by Roy on a Nintendo Super Mario compilation CD, about as appropriate as the track beside it, Dire Straits' Iron Hand. Stalkers in the bedroom and poll tax riots? It's a-me!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: buzby on April 10, 2020, 10:01:37 PM
...you can sense the same thing was happening to Fuzzbox as what was happening between Susanna Hoffs and the rest of The Bangles, and it would ultimately have the same effect.

As the fount of all knowledge do you know anything about a Fuzzbox appearance on J*m'll F*x It.  The band insist it happened, with some garbled story about a girl "wanting to hear her laughter on a record" and them appearing sometime circa International Rescue.  I can find no info about it whatsoever.

Norton Canes

Can't claim to be able to shed much light but if you Google "fuzzbox jim'll fix it" there's something about it on the first return.

Sebastian Cobb

I quite like I Drove All Night. A mate gave it me on 7" along with some other bits of tat he'd aquired from his wheeling and dealing and didn't think he could punt. That, a battered copy of Rumours and a generic Beach Boys compilation are probably the only bits I ever play.

Not a patch on anything off of She's So Unusual though.

kaprisky

So, Sally Station it is then. Excellent, thanks. For the various performances of Love Train, Americanos and Atomic City she really looks the part, even if she didn't play on the actual records.

Great to see a snippet of A Guy Called Gerald at the end too. That and maybe the 808 State track (that will come up) feels like the future, from the point of view of 1989.

dr beat

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 11, 2020, 11:09:12 AM
As the fount of all knowledge do you know anything about a Fuzzbox appearance on J*m'll F*x It.  The band insist it happened, with some garbled story about a girl "wanting to hear her laughter on a record" and them appearing sometime circa International Rescue.  I can find no info about it whatsoever.

I remember it quite clearly.  The fixee was shown in a recording studio being sampled for a version of International Rescue, and it came out sounding a bit weird unsurprisingly.  I hadn't heard of the band or the single before this, but as a kid I was really struck on subsequently watching ToTP and how the sampling had been unceremoniously dropped.  It's a shit business eh?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: dr beat on April 11, 2020, 02:25:05 PM
I remember it quite clearly.  The fixee was shown in a recording studio being sampled for a version of International Rescue, and it came out sounding a bit weird unsurprisingly.  I hadn't heard of the band or the single before this, but as a kid I was really struck on subsequently watching ToTP and how the sampling had been unceremoniously dropped.  It's a shit business eh?

Had they just added laughter to the record?  That's the bit that doesn't make sense.  Wanting to do backing vocals or play an instrument would've made sense, but adding laughter is just dumb and I can't figure out how they'd have done it any way which wouldn't have ended up on the cutting room floor as a failed, shit idea.

daf

29 June 1989: Presenter: Anthea 'Cocaine' Turner & Tim Smith

(18) HOLLY JOHNSON – Atomic City
(13) QUEEN – Breakthru' (video)
(11) DOUBLE TROUBLE & REBEL MC – Just Keep Rockin'
(10) DONNA ALLEN – Joy & Pain
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(37) MONIE LOVE - Grandpa's Party
(33) WATERFRONT - Cry
(38) SONIA - You'll Never Stop Me Loving You
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(20) M – Pop Muzik '89
(22) GUNS N' ROSES – Patience (video)
(19) LONDON BOYS – London Nights
(1)   SOUL II SOUL – Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) (video)
(30) PUBLIC ENEMY – Fight The Power (video / credits)

daf

6 July 1989: Presenter: Nicky Campbell

(12) SONIA – You'll Never Stop Me Loving You
(6)   GLADYS KNIGHT – Licence To Kill (video)
(22) MONIE LOVE – Grandpa's Party
(21) KARYN WHITE – Superwoman (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(30) BETTE MIDLER – WIND BENEATH MY WINGS
(32) DANNY WILSON – THE SECOND SUMMER OF LOVE
(33) DE LA SOUL – SAY NO GO
(2)   THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH – Song For Whoever
(5)   PET SHOP BOYS – It's Alright (video)

(18) CHAKA KHAN – Ain't Nobody (remix)
(26) A GUY CALLED GERALD – Voodoo Ray (video / credits)

Natnar

I wonder if Back To Life stopping Song For Whoever getting to number 1 was the catalyst for the "Back To Bed, Back To Reality" line in the South's My Book which ended up with them being sued by Soul 2 Soul?

Jockice

Quote from: Natnar on April 12, 2020, 02:08:41 PM
I wonder if Back To Life stopping Song For Whoever getting to number 1 was the catalyst for the "Back To Bed, Back To Reality" line in the South's My Book which ended up with them being sued by Soul 2 Soul?

Were they? I never knew that.

Natnar

It's mentioned on the commentary to the My Book video on the Beautiful South Munch DVD. As part of the court settlement they had to give Jazzie B a writing credit and royalties for the song, although the single ended up being a flop in the end.

The Culture Bunker

Single might have did nowt, but presumably the small cut from the 'Carry On Up the Charts' sales bonanza bought him a few pints.

Jockice

Quote from: Natnar on April 12, 2020, 04:21:20 PM
It's mentioned on the commentary to the My Book video on the Beautiful South Munch DVD. As part of the court settlement they had to give Jazzie B a writing credit and royalties for the song, although the single ended up being a flop in the end.

Actually I can remember it now because of an interview with Heaton and Dave Rotheray (may even have been the one in Q) in which it was mentioned that the latter considered going under a false name when the Beautiful South started because he didn't want his parents to find out he'd stopped doing his PhD. So Heaton joked that the writing credits would read Heaton/Mr X. And for My Book they would then be Heaton/Mr X/B.

buzby

Quote from: Natnar on April 12, 2020, 04:21:20 PM
Trevor 'Jazzie B' Beresford, Paul 'Nellee' Hooper, Simon Law and Caron Wheeler all have writing credits for My Book alongside Heaton and Rotheray, thanks to that cribbing from Back To Life. I believe they get 11% of the publishing royalties between them.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on April 12, 2020, 09:56:42 PM
Trevor 'Jazzie B' Beresford, Paul 'Nellee' Hooper, Simon Law and Caron Wheeler all have writing credits for My Song alongside Heaton and Rotheray, thanks to that cribbing from Back To Life. I believe they get 11% of the publishing royalties between them.
So, 11% out of just over 7% of the royalties from "Carry On Up the Charts" (just under two million UK sales), between four of them... wonder how much that came out to each in the end?

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 12, 2020, 10:10:40 PM
So, 11% out of just over 7% of the royalties from "Carry On Up the Charts" (just under two million UK sales), between four of them... wonder how much that came out to each in the end?
Plus 9% of Choke (which went Platinum) and 2.7% of Gold (which only went Silver)

Jockice

Quote from: buzby on April 12, 2020, 09:56:42 PM
Trevor 'Jazzie B' Beresford, Paul 'Nellee' Hooper, Simon Law and Caron Wheeler all have writing credits for My Book alongside Heaton and Rotheray, thanks to that cribbing from Back To Life. I believe they get 11% of the publishing royalties between them.

...and I love the PRS cheques that you bring.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Natnar on April 12, 2020, 02:08:41 PM

I remember listening to Radio 1's Round Table, where the singles were reviewed by other pop stars when Song For Whoever was on.  Cyndi Lauper, oddly, was one of the reviewers and she misheard the line, 'I love you from the bottom of my pencil case' as, 'I love you from the bottom of my pants, okay' and expressed confusion about it. 

Odd, the banal things that stick in your brain, isn't it?

Egyptian Feast

Is it just me or in that last episode was the background whooping and cheering from the audience much more prominent during Sonia's performance?

Nicky Campbell is such a smug prick and I'm sus about that voice he does when reading out the names of hip hop records.

Rizla

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on April 18, 2020, 02:47:17 PM

Nicky Campbell is such a smug prick

My grandad was his high school art teacher, he was always an arrogant wee shite according to him.

daf

13 July 1989: Presenters: Jakki Brambles & Bruno Brookes

(27) DANNY WILSON – The Second Summer Of Love
Ooh Betty!
(9)   BETTE MIDLER – Wind Beneath My Wings (video)
(22) DE LA SOUL – Say No Go (video)

(18) MICHAEL JACKSON – Liberian Girl (video)
Where's Wacko?
(25) WATERFRONT – Cry
(30) GLORIA ESTEFAN – Don't Wanna Lose You  (video)
(31) NORMAN COOK – Blame It On The Bassline  (video)
Normous Cock
(28) KIRSTY MACCOLL – Days (video)
(29) LA MIX – Get Loose (video)
(33) SIMPLY RED – A New Flame (video)
(8)   BOBBY BROWN – On Our Own (video / credits)

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on April 18, 2020, 04:35:09 PM
DE LA SOUL – Say No Go

I've recently reached the conclusion that '3 Feet High and Rising' is my favourite album of the 80s.

Gulftastic

All I could think of hearing the Norman Cook thing was 'put a donk on it',

Norton Canes

A studio-lite episode with very little to commend it - certainly not the two insipid performances we do get. Jakki Brambles is OK, definitely a step up from Anthea Turner (is there a step down?) though she does sort of weirdly leer at the camera a couple of times. Bobby Brown and Michael Jackson tussle to see who can fit the most A-listers into their video with Jacko unsurprisingly winning out. Is there a version of the video where you can actually hear the song? Or was it so insipid (I knew I was going to have to use that word again soon) that they dubbed over it on purpose? The Bobby Brown video is played after the most interesting bits, but luckily we'll see them in the next episode.

Oh yeah and there is way too much detail when that male roller skater in the lycra bodysuit skates over the camera in the LA Mix video.

non capisco

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 18, 2020, 08:21:41 PM
The Bobby Brown video is played after the most interesting bits, but luckily we'll see them in the next episode.

Where Bobby Brown for once doesn't turn out to be the biggest shitbag in one of his videos.

I quite liked the exchange in one of the links that went something like

JAKKI BRAMBLES: That was Kirsty MacColl with 'Days', originally a hit for Ray Davies and The Kinks.
BRUNO BROOKES: Yes, I think you're probably right.
JAKKI BRAMBLES: I'm definitely right.
JAKKI BRAMBLES: (thinks) Jog on, you little blazer wearing prick.