Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:51:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Icehaven

Bloody hell, Curiousity Killed The Cat, worra that all about?

Icehaven

Why do they keep playing the instrumental 'Leave A Light On" inbetween songs then not playing it? PLAY THE SONG.

Norton Canes

Coronavirus, race riots, Tommy batters spitting man

Norton Canes

Are you fucking kidding? It was all going so well

Icehaven

Icehaven

Milli VanLIARS!! They aren't even that attractive.

Norton Canes

Icehaven

In an alternate universe there's an amazing 80's band called "Drowned At Birth".

Icehaven

After not hearing Ride On Time for nearly 30 years I've heard it about 6 times in the last few weeks and my god am I sick of it.

Norton Canes

Thank fuck, we're not up for more Jive Bunny just yet.

Gulftastic

One minute for the magnificent 'Drama by Erasure but the whole of that Sonia track which even by SAW standards is pish.

Norton Canes

Ooh set design by Tony 'Warriors Of The Deep' Burrough, never noticed that before.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 05, 2020, 09:00:20 PM
One minute for the magnificent 'Drama by Erasure but the whole of that Sonia track which even by SAW standards is pish

Yeah shame that, would've liked to see them perform it in the studio (with JAMC on backing vocals)

daf

28 September 1989: Presenters:  Jenny Powell & Sybil Ruscoe

(4) SYDNEY YOUNGBLOOD – If Only I Could
Sweaty Syd
(12) KATE BUSH – The Sensual World (video)
The Kicks Outside
(9) THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH – You Keep It All In
Redhead Queenpin
(3) TECHNOTRONIC featuring FELLY – Pump Up The Jam (video)
Stumpin' & Pompin'
(14) WET WET WET – Sweet Surrender
Smug! Smug! Smug!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/albums/72157678726289366/

- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(29) BILLY JOEL – We Didn't Start The Fire
(27) CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT – Name & Number
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(6) ERASURE – Drama! (video)
Plastic Fantastic
(23) GLORIA ESTEFAN – Oye Mi Canto (Hear My Voice)
Castro GTF
(1) BLACK BOX – Ride On Time
We're all ripping off a song by Holloway (plenty of dosh for everyone)
(34) KARYN WHITE – Secret Rendezvous (video / credits)
The Spurt of Kings

non capisco

You stick Top Of The Pops repeats on to escape from what's happening and then S-Express come on with a video featuring massive coronaviruses flying about.

First ep this week had the Loleatta Holloway samples on 'Ride On Time', second the Heather Small re-recording. It's so obvious once you know. You can hear old Search For The Hero-chops and her plum in the back of the throat tones loud and clear now.

Poor old Bros have run out of hooks already.

Icehaven

Quote from: non capisco on June 06, 2020, 10:32:38 PM

Poor old Bros have run out of hooks already.

Despite hating them then, now and always I still thought I remembered most of Bros"s 'hits', but that one didn't ring a bell at all. Sub crap crap.

Gulftastic

We Didn't Start The Fire is such utter gash. Billy Joel thinking he's being clever.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 05, 2020, 09:10:12 PM
Yeah shame that, would've liked to see them perform it in the studio (with JAMC on backing vocals)

That's nice of you to say, but my singing talents aren't all that, I'm afraid. Oh, and please don't refer to me that way, we're not at public school.

non capisco

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 07, 2020, 08:18:48 AM
We Didn't Start The Fire is such utter gash. Billy Joel thinking he's being clever.

I've made no bones about my affection for Billy Joel on these pages before but by 1989 he truly is as cat shit as most people think he always was. 'Storm Front', the album this comes from, is a feeble effort indeed. A reverb soaked self important AOR nightmare with songs that don't come anywhere near touching the quality of his 70s stuff. I don't hate 'We Didn't Start The Fire', though. Believe it or not it's the best song on that album. There's two bits in it I never fail to find hilarious.

1. The way he growls "CHILDREN OF THALIDOMIDE!!!!!!". I have been to see Billy Joel live and pissed myself laughing at a stadium full of people chanting this line along with him and punching the air. I suppose it is quite bad taste to wave your arms in the air when you're singing that, now that I think about it.

2. The culmination of the song where after listing all these seismic cultural events and malignant political figureheads like Stalin and Pol Pot what ends up pushing him over the edge is "rock 'n' roller cola wars." AIDS and the crack epidemic have just passed without comment but Michael Jackson shilling for Pepsi is the straw that breaks the camel's back for Billy. ENOUGH!!!!! THIS IS MADNESS!!!!!! I'M GOING TO PUSH OVER THIS TABLE!!!

Sebastian Cobb

The best bit is where he pronounces Suez as Sewer.

daf

Quote from: non capisco on June 07, 2020, 01:03:26 PM
"CHILDREN OF THALIDOMIDE!!!!!!"

Interestingly, The USA dodged the Thalidomide bullet - thanks to Frances Oldham Kelsey - who rejected the application for thalidomide on the grounds that it lacked sufficient evidence of safety through rigorous clinical trials.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/woman-who-stood-between-america-and-epidemic-birth-defects-180963165/

daf

5 October 1989: Presenters: Jakki Brambles & Steve 'Ponytail' Wright

(12) REBEL MC & DOUBLE TROUBLE – Street Tuff
Wicked!
(18) CHER – If I Could Turn Back Time (video)
Thong Wars
(14) CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT – Name & Number
Pick Up (I Feel Like Checking an) Answering Machine
(11) BILLY JOEL – We Didn't Start The Fire (video)
Show Off (I Feel Like Being a) Fact Machine

(27) SONIA – Can't Forget You
Gob Scouse
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(31) LIVING IN A BOX – Room In Your Heart
(28) BELINDA CARLISLE – Leave A Light On
(24) MILLI VANILLI – Girl I'm Gonna Miss You
(9) BROS – Chocolate Box (video)
Conker on the string
(1) BLACK BOX – Ride On Time
Small Change
(21) S'EXPRESS – Mantra For A State Of Mind (video / credits)
Aw, it was all a fake!

Norton Canes

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 07, 2020, 08:18:48 AM
We Didn't Start The Fire is such utter gash. Billy Joel thinking he's being clever

I do think that at the very least he should be contractually obligated to update the lyrics every five years.