Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:32:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: daf on June 20, 2020, 04:52:35 PM

(80) 'RESCUE ME' - DEBBIE MALONE
(82) 'YA BAD CHUBBS' - CHUBB ROCK WITH HOWIE TEE

Disappointingly low placing for these two, both club classics especially Debbie Malone (I've adjusted Chubb Rock to the Break 4 Love sampling house mix that everyone played).

non capisco

Phil Collins STILL with the paint pot and brush on his piano in 1989! I am very sorry for him that his 1981 era divorce wounds still hadn't healed by that point. Probably should have donated the proceeds of that song to a homeless charity, though. I like Phil Collins more than the average music snob and think all of his 1981 'paint pot on a piano' singles were dynamite (especially the crazily underrated 'If Leaving Me Is Easy') but he really painted a target on his ample forehead with this shite. It's very nearly as wretchedly patronising as the worst song ever written, John Lennon's 'Imagine'. "Just think about it" says Phil as he dons an impression of benevolent sagacity down the lens of a BBC camera, clearly under the impression that the plight of the underclass in the dying days of Thatcher's Britain was something that had occurred to him and him alone. What a dreadful record.

Quote"When I drive down the street, I see the same things everyone else sees. It's a misconception that if you have a lot of money you're somehow out of touch with reality."

I'll happily retract my anti-Phil rant if someone more in the know than me can confirm that any of the proceeds from this dirge went to Shelter or similar. Maybe they did, I dunno. I don't want to think less of Phil Collins, 'I Missed Again' is a bop. 'Another Day In Paradise' is an awful song, though. It made Chris Rea's 'Road To Hell' sound like The Gap Band.

sweeper

Living in a box room in your heart.

Did they think this through or not?

Captain Z

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 19, 2020, 09:24:38 PM
Ah, The Sun Rising is lush.

Seconded/Thirded. I don't know how well-known it is, but here's the origin of the sample:

Emily Van Evera - O Euchari In Leta Via

Also used in Orbital's Belfast.

daf

2 November 1989: Presenters: Andy Crane & Anthea Turner

(12) MARTIKA – I Feel The Earth Move
Smash 'it!
(19) LUTHER VANDROSS – Never Too Much '89 (video)
Over the shoulder Boombox holder
(21) D MOB introducing CATHY DENNIS – C'mon & Get My Love (video)
I'm ready for my close-up, Mr DeMob
(13) DEBORAH HARRY – I Want That Man
Hats Off!
(2) MILLI VANILLI – Girl I'm Gonna Miss You (video)
One in the Bottom . . . chart
(22) PHIL COLLINS – Another Day In Paradise
Watch My Finger?
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(26) THE BELOVED – The Sun Rising
(23) MIXMASTER – Grand Piano
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(17) KYLIE MINOGUE – Never Too Late
Orange Crush

(1) JIVE BUNNY & THE MASTERMIXERS – That's What I Like (video)
Bunny, it's a hit
(31) TRANSVISION VAMP – Born To Be Sold (video / credits)
Wendy's in the Basement, Mixing up the Medicine

buzby

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 19, 2020, 09:24:38 PM
Ah, The Sun Rising is lush.
Massive case of 'there's always been a dance element to our music' bandwagon-jumping though (much like The Shamen), having been a New Order-y new-wave/indie band up until 1988 when the original line-up split in half (here's the last single they put out prior to the split, Forever Dancing).

The remaining duo of Jon Marsh and Steve Waddington then switched into 'this dance music everyone is talking about' (mostly at Marsh's insistence, after returning from a trip to New York at the end of 1987 with a load of House 12"s), got a deal with WEA and in September 1988 put out the single Loving Feeling which didn't chart, but it's B-side Acid Love got a lot of attention in clubs. They follwed this up with Your Love Takes Me Higher in January 1989 which peaked at #91.

The Sun Rising was released in October 1989, but had been promoed heavily in the summer and was picked up the DJs in the Balearic scene, in particulary Danny Rampling at Shoom (Marsh says that his part of the track was written on Ecstacy the morning after one of Rampling's Joy nights at Southwark St, where Boy George also was inspired to 'go House').

For the remix 12" they asked Rampling to do one of the mixes (Danny's Love Is.... Mix). Marsh started getting his wife Helena more involved in the band too, and the other remixes were by the Marshes under the alias 'Adam & Eve' (she would eventually replace Waddington in the band the following year, at which point they also dropped the 'The' prefix from the name).

Regarding the sample of 'O Euchari', it's the same story as what happened with Ride On Time. The initial pressings of the single used the Emily Van Evera sample. However, it hadn't been cleared, as they thought that because it was a 13th century choral work they didn't have to, and at only 8 notes it was too brief to be distinctive. The owner of the recording Hyperion Records thought otherwise and issued an injunction against the single, the judge at the initial hearing agreed, so they then had to get the line re-recorded by another singer to keep it in the charts.

WEA then paid an undisclosed sum to Hyperion in an out of court settlement to halt the case which included retrospective clearing of the sample and setting a legal precedent in the process, and by the time they released Blissed Out in November 1990 (a remix album of tracks from the album Happiness that The Sun Rising and the preceding singles were part of), it featured a remix of the track using the original sample, becoming one of the first releases containing a sample to have it's source credited on the sleevenotes:

Hyperion Records v. Warner Music is still cited as a legal precedent in sampling cases to this day.

monkfromhavana

Marsh does seem to have been affected by the whole ethos of the late 80s though, unlike a lot of his contemporaries. I remember a Facebook group chat where Danny "Ex-squaddie" Rampling was making some posts about Muslims etc etc and Marsh basically calling him out on it.

Also, his brother is actor and Tesco own brand version of Steven Berkoff, Matthew Marsh.

kalowski

S'funny, when The Beloved song came on my wife said, "I hate rubbish like this" and I totally agreed. I'm surprised people on her like that weak pretend Ibiza blissed out bollocks.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: kalowski on June 22, 2020, 02:45:58 PM
S'funny, when The Beloved song came on my wife said, "I hate rubbish like this" and I totally agreed. I'm surprised people on her like that weak pretend Ibiza blissed out bollocks.

You seem to take quite a broad minded approach to your open marriage. Good for you

daf

Quote from: buzby on June 22, 2020, 11:25:31 AM
Massive case of 'there's always been a dance element to our music' bandwagon-jumping though (much like The Shamen)

Which is when I jumped on board with the Shamen - saw them live in Leeds during my college days in 1991 or 92 - on one of their Progeny tours - still got the tattered T-shirt! *

Got a few Beloved 12" singles - 'Hello' and 'Sweet Harmony' - but never looked into their albums - any good?

- - - - - - - -
* one of only 5 bands I've ever seen live - the others being Welsh band Jess, The Orb, Blur, and SFA - who were supporting Blur in 1999. A Gig so incredibly LOUD, even at the back of the hall, it physically hurt my ears for days afterwards - that was my last gig!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: daf on June 22, 2020, 02:52:34 PM

Got a few Beloved 12" singles - 'Hello' and 'Sweet Harmony' - but never looked into their albums - any good?

Not really. I quite liked their Deliver Me single from the 'X' album, but didn't expect much from the album and wasn't disappointed.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on June 22, 2020, 11:25:31 AM(here's the last single they put out prior to the split, Forever Dancing).
His dancing in that appears to be more influenced by Andy McCluskey... credit to the drummer for turning up to a video for a song on which it sounds like he doesn't do anything.

Wonder if that's his also mentioned other half stood next to him in the video?

Norton Canes

Quote from: kalowski on June 22, 2020, 02:45:58 PM
S'funny, when The Beloved song came on my wife said, "I hate rubbish like this" and I totally agreed

Saucy pedantic wretch!

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on June 22, 2020, 02:52:34 PM
SFA - who were supporting Blur in 1999. A Gig so incredibly LOUD, even at the back of the hall, it physically hurt my ears for days afterwards[/color]

That would be when the Furries were finishing with a one-two of Mountain People and TMDGAF.
I saw them around that time at Rock City and it remains the loudest gig I've ever attended.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 22, 2020, 04:00:02 PM
His dancing in that appears to be more influenced by Andy McCluskey... credit to the drummer for turning up to a video for a song on which it sounds like he doesn't do anything.

Wonder if that's his also mentioned other half stood next to him in the video?
The video quality it pretty ropey and being stretched to 16:9 doesn't help, but I don't think it's the missus. Marsh had initially been the drummer with Waddington the main singer and songwriter, but Marsh gradually took over both roles so they got another drummer in. It was Marsh's desire to start pursuing a dance direction after his NY trip and getting on the E that caused the band to split, and I think it was Marsh's pushing to become a pop-dance chart act that finally caused Waddington to leave as well.

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 22, 2020, 02:50:32 PM
You seem to take quite a broad minded approach to your open marriage. Good for you
The guys can have sex with her as long as they don't listen to The Beloved.

kaprisky

So one of the NKOTB fellas wears a Bauhaus t-shirt.

And I can't believe Janet did Rhythm Nation live in the studio! Imagine the BLM protesters doing that in unison.

daf

9 November 1989: Presenter: Nicky Campbell

(32)  ELECTRIBE 101 – Tell Me When The Fever Ended
Gloved Up
(29)  EURYTHMICS – Don't Ask Me Why (video)
Sequin Ye Shall Find
(25)  LINDA RONSTADT & AARON NEVILLE – Don't Know Much
Neville Nevill, You're Wearing a Vest
(23)  NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK – You Got It (The Right Stuff) (video)
Right Guff!
(31)  THE ALARM ft. THE MORRISTON ORPHEUS MALE VOICE CHOIR – A New South Wales (video)
68 Guys - Will, Neville, Dai . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(38) AND WHY NOT? – Restless Days (She Screams Out Loud)
(36) QUIREBOYS – 7 O'clock
(12)  MIXMASTER – Grand Piano (video)
I'm Nicking Up Good Vibrations
(28)  JANET JACKSON – Rhythm Nation
It's She, with more Rhythm Shtick
(1)  LISA STANSFIELD – All Around The World
Triple Crossed

(33)  THE WONDER STUFF – Golden Green (video / credits)
The Snarking of the Hunt

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on June 27, 2020, 12:23:55 PM
9 November 1989: Presenter: Nicky Campbell

(32)  ELECTRIBE 101 – Tell Me When The Fever Ended
Gloved Up

It must have seemed like a great idea to recruit BRM is vocalist but though she's got the pipes I reckon she's lacking a bit in charasma.

(25)  LINDA RONSTADT & AARON NEVILLE – Don't Know Much
Neville Nevill, You're Wearing a Vest

She looks terrified

(28)  JANET JACKSON – Rhythm Nation
It's She, with more Rhythm Shtick

Oh yes, this definitely goes into my list of top 10 Pops I wish I'd been in the studio for.

(1)  LISA STANSFIELD – All Around The World
Triple Crossed

An 0bvious thing I've only just realised - that hair isn't right, is it? It's supposed to be a classic 30's flapper bob cut type thing but in fact the fringe looks like it was done in lockdown. 

(33)  THE WONDER STUFF – Golden Green (video / credits)
The Snarking of the Hunt

Obscure pop fact: the vid was supposed to be a single-shot take with the sun then moon moving across the backdrop, but the director over-elaborated, to the annoyance of the band.

gilbertharding

Anyone else look up the word 'turpsichorean' after the Janet Jackson link?

And, in another throwaway moment, Campbell did an Arthur Askey impression when the chart rundown got to I Thank You. One for the teenagers, as they say.

Nicky Campbell obviously thinks of himself as intelligent in the John Peel mould, but he's far more Neol Edmonds really.

On the subject of Janet Jackson - clearly I'm alone in thinking "second rate Five Star tribute act".

DrGreggles

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 27, 2020, 03:58:59 PM
Obscure pop fact: the vid was supposed to be a single-shot take with the sun then moon moving across the backdrop, but the director over-elaborated, to the annoyance of the band.

(less) Obscure pop fact: their previous vid was directed by Ade Edmondson.

famethrowa

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 27, 2020, 04:19:52 PM
Anyone else look up the word 'turpsichorean' after the Janet Jackson link?

Come on, what forum are you on? It's right there in one of the most famous comedy sketches ever.

buzby

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 27, 2020, 04:19:52 PM
On the subject of Janet Jackson - clearly I'm alone in thinking "second rate Five Star tribute act".
I was thinking more 'clearly ripped off from Public Enemy's S1Ws'.

Norton Canes

Icehaven

UB40 basically writing the film Shallow Hal there.

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Was there ever a Prince/Bowie duet on the cards? Would"ve liked to see (hear) that.

Norton Canes

This Been Around The World, it's basically Soul II Soul for... well, you know...