Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:55:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Was that the same one that seemed to feature a lot of Sean just sat smoking fags in a grimly lit council flat while wearing a beanie?

non capisco

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 04, 2020, 06:31:51 PM
Was that the same one that seemed to feature a lot of Sean just sat smoking fags in a grimly lit council flat while wearing a beanie?

Possibly. There have been a few over the years. I remember it was 'The Grape Tapes' which featured a section where Sean bollocked on enthusiastically and extensively about the Loch Ness Monster.

daf

Shaun, isn't it? 

(having a Welsh language-wired brain, I always mentally pronounce Sean as 'seen'  - like : "Sean Connery?"  "Yeah, he's over there" - type thing)

non capisco

Of course it's bloody Shaun, non capisco, ya fuckin weapon!

Sorry, everyone. Revoke my Top Of The Pops thread contributor badge and make me sit in the corner for a week listening to the bloody Lambada on a hellish and unceasing loop!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: non capisco on July 04, 2020, 07:40:09 PM
Possibly. There have been a few over the years. I remember it was 'The Grape Tapes' which featured a section where Sean bollocked on enthusiastically and extensively about the Loch Ness Monster.

Think the one I saw was after he was on the bones of his arse after a drug conviction.

The Culture Bunker

I can remember watching Ryder interviewed on the DVD extras for '24 Hour Party People' in 2002 and he looked at death's door then: shakey, overweight and mentally not at all the races. A friend reckoned he'd taken to drink bigtime after coming off the gear, which was the road Martin Hannett went down in this last few years.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: kalowski on July 03, 2020, 08:54:40 PM
Fuck me 1989 is the end times isn't it?

You're not wrong there!  I just watched the 16th Nov and half the 23rd Nov edition while finishing a cup of coffee and reading the paper.  Although I regularly watched the show I didn't remember half of the songs and found most of them to be utterly bland.  And Lambada has to be one for the misheard lyrics thread - "You're a pussy boy... something something way down on the floor... etc..."

daf

23 November 1989: Presenter: Jakki Brambles & Jenny Powell

(27) BIG FUN – Can't Shake The Feeling
The Trouble with Triples
(29)  BOBBY BROWN – Roni (video)
Loose Fit
(21)  FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS – I'm Not The Man I Used To Be
I'm not the Drummer we used, you see
(24)  JEFF WAYNE – Eve Of The War (Ben Liebrand remix) (video)
Party time! Excellent!
(13)  THE STONE ROSES – Fools Gold
Never Mind The Pollocks . . .

(30)  HAPPY MONDAYS (with KIRSTY MACCOLL) – Hallelujah
E-men
(3)  LINDA RONSTADT & AARON NEVILLE – Don't Know Much
Aaron, ah - He sings *
(1)  NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK – You Got It (The Right Stuff)  (video)
Only the band The Beatles could have been!
(31)  PRINCE & SHEENA EASTON – The Arms Of Orion (video / credits)
Full of Easton Promise

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Spoiler alert
('Air on a G string')
[close]

kalowski

That Big Fun track, and the Jeff Wayne, were some of the worst music I have ever heard. It even infected Prince, with one of his weakest tracks ever being aired there.

gilbertharding

Quote from: kalowski on July 05, 2020, 01:04:19 PM
That Big Fun track, and the Jeff Wayne, were some of the worst music I have ever heard. It even infected Prince, with one of his weakest tracks ever being aired there.

I'd forgotten about Jenny Powell's introduction to that War of the Worlds rubbish. Another spectacular example of skim reading the press release: "he's Dutch. An engineer." Nothing whatsoever about Jeff Wayne, or anything else.

Brilliant.

This was CM #30:

QuoteThe latest episode of the podcast which asks: if Bummerdog was a band, what would they sound like?

This episode, Pop-Crazed Youngsters, is one of the absolute landmark moments of the long and storied history of The Pops - the week where all the rubbish of the Laties is finally driven into the sea by streetwise lairy youths with a malevolent shuffle and a drug-induced attitude. And as well as Big Fun, the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays are on too.

Those of you who remember this episode as a full-on Madchester takeover - with 808 State on as well, and Vera Duckworth gurning away in the audience in a Joe Bloggs top - are going to be sorely disappointed, however, as the supporting cast is the usual Neighnties rubbish. Jakki Brambles and Jenny Powell come off like the Philadelphia Cheese Advert women. Bobby Brown thrusts his groin at a shockingly young girl who's probably wondering when Tiffany is going to come on. Aaron Neville comes dressed up as a character in a Sega beat-'em-up. The Fine Young Cannibals get bum-rushed by the cast of Dance Energy. The Martians pitch up to blare some Housey rubbish at us. The #1 is cat shit. And Holy Horrible Soundtrack LPs, Batman, it's Prince.

Al Needham is joined by Sorted Simon Price and Top Lad Taylor Parkes for a trawl through the car boot sale of 1989, breaking off to discuss such important matters as Top Hatting, raiding your Dad's wardrobe to look suitably 'Double Good', Ian Brown shutting down a bar, sniffing silage, and the introduction of the Chart Music Top Ten. Get on some swearing, matey!   

https://podbay.fm/podcast/1225229780/e/1535718769

Icehaven

Icehaven

Percy from Blackadder in a Kate Bush video! :D

kalowski

Quote from: icehaven on July 10, 2020, 08:51:30 PM
Percy from Blackadder in a Kate Bush video! :D
Bollocks! I must have been out of the room when that played. Everything else has been dreadful.

Icehaven

Quote from: kalowski on July 10, 2020, 08:55:32 PM
Bollocks! I must have been out of the room when that played. Everything else has been dreadful.

It was only on for about 10 seconds, youtubing it shortly.

Edit: Here https://youtu.be/UXzx--YefD8

kalowski

Quote from: icehaven on July 10, 2020, 08:58:24 PM
It was only on for about 10 seconds, youtubing it shortly.

Edit: Here https://youtu.be/UXzx--YefD8
Longer version on the next episode. Literally the only decent song since 8.30.

Icehaven

Quote from: kalowski on July 10, 2020, 09:11:10 PM
Longer version on the next episode. Literally the only decent song since 8.30.

But still a bit ridiculous because it's Percy.

Icehaven

God this Jeff Wayne shite is insufferable.

Icehaven

Bloody hell, never seen the Bugsy Malone Queen video before.

ollyboro

The kids were pretty good in the Queen video, however, I'm not sure how appropriate it ever was to have a ten year old dressed up in leathers rubbing himself against the microphone stand.

How did Jason Donovan ever have a career in music? Every song and every vocal is so weedy. The aural equivalent of diluted piss.

Gulftastic

His vocals are shite, but tonight's track is one of the very few SAW efforts I like. A genuinely decent pop track.

And he was very, very handsome back then.

Icehaven

Quote from: ollyboro on July 10, 2020, 09:27:51 PM

How did Jason Donovan ever have a career in music? Every song and every vocal is so weedy. The aural equivalent of diluted piss.

He was on Neighbours, we 10 year old girls liked that. Didn't know we made up that much of the purchasing demographic though so he must have had other fan bases. Just keep thinking that massive orange coat must have been boiling.

gilbertharding

My brother once shared a sauna with Jason Donovan (stop sniggering).

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 10, 2020, 09:32:51 PM

And he was very, very handsome back then.

Yep. When you look that good you can write your own ticket.

daf

30 November 1989: Presenter: Gary Davies

(7) KAOMA – Lambada
Euro Bumber 1
(12) INNER CITY – Whatcha Gonna Do With My Lovin' (video)
Cigars All Round!
(10) 808 STATE – Pacific
Loony Tune
(23) GLORIA ESTEFAN – Get On Your Feet (video)
Dr. Feat
(14) JIMMY SOMERVILLE & JUNE MILES-KINGSTON – Comment Te Dire Adieu
Hardly Françoise
(32) ROB 'N' RAZ featuring LEILA K – Got To Get
Straight Outta Stockholm
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(30) KATE BUSH – This Woman's Work
(26) TEARS FOR FEARS – Woman In Chains
(33) TINA TURNER – I Don't Wanna Lose You
Woman of Uncertain Age
(1) NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK – You Got It (The Right Stuff) (video)
T'KNOB

(6) UB40 – Homely Girl (video / credits)
Disguise in Love with You

non capisco

non capisco

I've lived in blissful ignorance all these years about that Simple Minds Prince cover. Yeuuuch.

non capisco

Quote from: ollyboro on July 10, 2020, 09:27:51 PM
The kids were pretty good in the Queen video, however, I'm not sure how appropriate it ever was to have a ten year old dressed up in leathers rubbing himself against the microphone stand.

I was chuckling thinking about pushy showbiz parents clamouring to get their child the role of John Deacon.

The Culture Bunker

Have to laugh at Curiosity Killed the Cat's optimism for their own single in the Smash Hits review page, which would go on to make #86 with a bullet.