Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:51:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

7 December 1989: Presenter: Mark Goodier

(8) BIG FUN – Can't Shake The Feeling
Fun Boys 3
(25) KATE BUSH – This Woman's Work  (video)
Percy's Progress

(5) SOUL II SOUL – Get A Life  (video)
Heaton's Rivals! Heaton's Rivals!
(27) SYDNEY YOUNGBLOOD – Sit & Wait
Nipples for Jesus
(19) DUSTY SPRINGFIELD – In Private  (video)
St Valentine's Day Mascara
(3) JEFF WAYNE – Eve Of The War (remix) (video)
Tripods : The Next Generation!
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(22) LATINO RAVE – Deep Heat '89
(21) QUEEN – The Miracle
(18) SIMPLE MINDS – Sign O' The Times
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(16) ERASURE – You Surround Me  (video)
Bell's Frisky
(7) JASON DONOVAN – When You Come Back To Me
Beyond The Fringe
(1) NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK – You Got It (The Right Stuff) (video)
Old Krap On The Box
(38) ALEXANDER O'NEAL – Hit Mix (Official Bootleg Mega Mix) (video / credits)
Fake Olds

Gulftastic

Big Fun's dancing is one of my favourite bits of recent eps. They must have rehearsed like mad.

Non Stop Dancer

NKOTB were the last shit thing I was into before I got into "proper" stuff. 10 I would have been. Fucking loved them I did, posters on the wall, the lot. If I were my parents I'd have suspected I was about to discover I was gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Non Stop Dancer

Year or two before that it was Bros. Yeah I'm probably actually gay aren't I? I'll inform the wife and get my bags packed.

Jockice

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on July 12, 2020, 04:41:04 PM
NKOTB were the last shit thing I was into before I got into "proper" stuff. 10 I would have been. Fucking loved them I did, posters on the wall, the lot. If I were my parents I'd have suspected I was about to discover I was gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I used to cover my school books with pictures of bands I liked from the NME. Usually full-page adverts. I distinctly remember that in the fifth year one of my English books had The Associates in a swimming pool and the other had Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft (DAF) in leather sleeveless t-shirts. I just can't imagine why so many of my classmates thought I was gay.

(I'm not. The homoerotic undertones didn't even occur to me. I'll just repeat here that I didn't even have my first proper wank till I was almost 16 as out of all the things I've posted on here that was the one met with the most disbelief. Even though it's totally true.)

daf

Quote from: Camp Tramp on July 12, 2020, 08:30:13 AM
Seems that Leila K went a bit crazy after her chart success

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384113/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

This is a couple months ahead, but I just came across these two pages in a copy of Smash Hits from April 1990 :

Quote from: Jockice on July 12, 2020, 06:50:12 PM
I used to cover my school books with pictures of bands I liked from the NME. Usually full-page adverts. I distinctly remember that in the fifth year one of my English books had The Associates in a swimming pool and the other had Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft (DAF) in leather sleeveless t-shirts. I just can't imagine why so many of my classmates thought I was gay.

I had Katy Manning and that Dalek on my physics folder.

daf

Quote from: A Hat Like That on July 12, 2020, 08:12:43 PM

I also came across those two pages a couple of years ago!!!!!!!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That's a bit racy. Didn't you get in trouble for that?

Jockice

I haven't a clue who Katy Manning is. I feel like I've missed out on something. Is she Bernard's wife?

daf

Lovely Jo Grant in TV's Dr Who *

here's a link to the mild dalek grot

- - - - - -
* fun fact : she's extremely short sighted, and took her glasses off to act - so when there was any running about required in a quarry or something, Jon Pertwee would have to hold her hand - Aw, bless!

Jockice

Quote from: daf on July 13, 2020, 12:47:57 PM
Lovely Jo Grant in TV's Dr Who *

here's a link to the mild dalek grot

- - - - - -
* fun fact : she's extremely short sighted, and took her glasses off to act - so when there was any running about required in a quarry or something, Jon Pertwee would have to hold her hand - Aw, bless!

Ah. I see. Even without my glasses on.

Icehaven

That Van Morrison and Cliff Richard Jesusfest was literally the worst thing I've ever heard. Ever ever ever.

Gulftastic

When all this in the charts I was going through the worst time I'd ever known. That Wet Wet Wet song came on the ITV Chart Show and it broke some kind of dam. I cried my eyes out for about 30 minutes.

Icehaven

Quote from: icehaven on July 17, 2020, 08:46:15 PM
That Van Morrison and Cliff Richard Jesusfest was literally the worst thing I've ever heard. Ever ever ever.

....more than made up for by Electronic ft. Neil Tennant, such a fucking brilliant tune.

Gulftastic

Quote from: icehaven on July 17, 2020, 08:53:37 PM
....more than made up for by Electronic ft. Neil Tennant, such a fucking brilliant tune.
and then shat on by Jive Bunny.

Jockice

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 17, 2020, 08:49:35 PM
When all this in the charts I was going through the worst time I'd ever known. That Wet Wet Wet song came on the ITV Chart Show and it broke some kind of dam. I cried my eyes out for about 30 minutes.

I was thinking about that when it came on. Your ordeal matches up in my mind with that time I was paralysed with terror when hearing A Different Corner for the first time on the radio in the middle of the night.

Icehaven

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 17, 2020, 08:55:55 PM
and then shat on by Jive Bunny.

Quite. I was still typing my post as Jive Bunny came on and nearly took it back.

Icehaven

This Sonia "Listen To Your Heart" crap is extremely similar to the song of a similar name that was our Eurovision entry a few years later (sung by Samantha Janus of all people.)

Gulftastic

If only the Bros track was a Prince cover.

Icehaven

I knew Anthea Turner was a donkey but did she just call Bros 'Britain's best group'? Dopey mare.

Crabwalk

I've really enjoyed the 1989 shows on the whole. Better and more diverse than I expected/remembered (11-12 at the time), and with plenty of legit gems sprinkled throughout. But the last month's worth have been absolutely dire, haven't they? HOUSE MEGAMIXES BEGONE, FOUL BEASTS.

808 State and Electronic sounded like they were from another planet compared to almost everything else. Apt that it ended with a Christmas number one that is one of the few genuinely offensive pop records.

And 44-year-old Van Morrison; you can fart out as much insipid praise as you like, God will never forgive you for being such an angry little cunt toad, or for that hairstyle. And I say that as a fan.

daf

14 December 1989: Presenter: Nicky Campbell

(13) ROB 'N' RAZ featuring LEILA K – Got To Get
Forget it lads, nobody's looking at you!
(9)  MADONNA – Dear Jessie (video)
Won't you come out to play?

(25)  VAN MORRISON & CLIFF RICHARD – Whenever God Shines His Light
Sick & Lame
(18)  LATINO RAVE – Deep Heat '89 (video)
Stumpin' on 45
(24)  WET WET WET – Broke Away
Mellow Pellow
(8)  TINA TURNER – I Don't Wanna Lose You (video)
Ha! Ha! - She's SO Old!!!
(23)  ELECTRONIC – Getting Away With It
Tennant's Extra
(1)  JIVE BUNNY & THE MASTERMIXERS – Let's Party (video)
It's CRA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-P Mix!
(20)  ALEXANDER O'NEAL – Hit Mix (Official Bootleg Mega Mix) (video / credits)
Bronze Medley

kalowski

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: icehaven on July 17, 2020, 08:53:37 PM

Richard Butler thought so too, all pre- cog like, when he was writing the chorus for " Love My Way".

Norton Canes

Quote from: icehaven on July 17, 2020, 09:21:14 PM
I knew Anthea Turner was a donkey but did she just call Bros 'Britain's best group'? Dopey mare

They had just won the 'Best Group' award at the Smash Hits Poll Winners' Party a few weeks previously (and they were the holders of the Brit's 1989 'Breakthrough Act' award from the beginning of the year).

non capisco

Van Morrison bellowing "HE HEALS THE SICK AND HE HEALS THE LAME!" like a wounded mule while Cliff Richard attempted in vain to harmonise was I suppose a highlight of these two episodes, along with 'Getting Away With It' which has already been accurately identified upthread as a banger. I'd misremembered Band Aid '89 keeping Jive Bunny's christmas record off the number one slot but, no, there it was squatting at the top for a week with its appallingly cheap cartoon video in which that prick rabbit gets out-cunted by an equally annoying turkey. That repeated bit of animation where it pops up in the foreground and waggles its eyebrows makes even the previous two Jive Bunny videos look like the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The bit where Jive Bunny is dancing jerkily about to one of the 'March Of The Mods' sections while the turkey looks on is depressingly low rent. Is that it from Jive Bunny now? They didn't carry on into the '90s, did they? There can't possibly be more. I fear there was one more.

It's getting as medley heavy as the worst stretch of 1981. Latino Rave, Cunt Bunny, Alexander O'Neal, even Duran Duran getting in on the medley action. And the "Woooh....yeah!"s have begun to creep in which can only lead to Edd the Duck's single (Did that actually chart? I dunno.)

daf

Slightly alarming that Van Morrison (and his amazing comb-over) is only 44 here!

non capisco

Quote from: daf on July 18, 2020, 08:00:31 PM
Slightly alarming that Van Morrison (and his amazing comb-over) is only 44 here!

That's honestly just made me feel a lot better about myself.

Mr Banlon