Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:41:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 18, 2020, 10:33:53 AM
Richard Butler thought so too, all pre- cog like, when he was writing the chorus for " Love My Way".

Despite liking Psychedelic Furs I'd never heard Love My Way before so just gave it a listen, and have to admit there are distinct similarities. You have RUINED a song I've loved for 30 years. Ah well, genuis steals and all that.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 18, 2020, 08:11:17 PM
He's only 31 here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmeMeCiwQiI
I can probably say I, at 39, look younger now than Van did the first time he appeared on TV with Them.

However, he's got that voice and has written some fantastic songs, which seems a decent trade off.

daf

21 December 1989: Presenters: Bruno Brookes & Anthea Turner

(30) FPI PROJECT – Going Back To My Roots
. . . to do the ironing (Woo! Yeah!)
(31)  DURAN DURAN – Burning The Ground (video)
Boys On Film
(32)  SONIA – Listen To Your Heart
Hardboiled Sweetie
(25) DE LA SOUL – The Magic Number
A Rhythmatic
(26) SILVER BULLET - 20 Seconds To Comply (video)
Rapbo Cop
- - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(40)  BON JOVI - Living In Sin
(39)  THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH – I'll Sail This Ship Alone
(36)  49ERS – Touch Me
(34)  ALL ABOUT EVE – December
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(12)  BROS – Sister
Sweet Carolyn
(1)  BAND AID II – Do They Know It's Christmas? (video)
Be Afraid!

(33)  THE CHRISTIANS – Words (video / credits)
Kiss Off!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Icehaven

Lot of perv references in the Fancy That news there, the pervy pervs.

Head Gardener

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: icehaven on July 18, 2020, 08:58:56 PM
Despite liking Psychedelic Furs I'd never heard Love My Way before so just gave it a listen, and have to admit there are distinct similarities. You have RUINED a song I've loved for 30 years. Ah well, genuis steals and all that.

Oops, sorry, missus. Hopefully, you'll allow me to be " getting away with "! 😉[nb]being a song- ruining cunt [/nb]

buzby

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 18, 2020, 10:33:53 AM
Richard Butler thought so too, all pre- cog like, when he was writing the chorus for " Love My Way".
At least Sumner is in the clear over this (though he has previous for 'appropriation'), he wrote the music for the verse and Marr wrote the choruses. The vocal melody in the choruses in quesiton was Tennant's idea, as were the lyrics being a vague swipe at Morrissey.

Tennant had heard Sumner and Marr were working together through ex-Factory graphic designer Mark Farrow (who had become the PSB's main sleeve designer) and then got in touch to ask if he and Lowe could be involved. They were invited up to Marr's Clear Studios for a writing session, with the track coming together in a day.

The song features The The's David Palmer on drums, as Marr was part of that band at the time. The Art Of Noise's Anne Dudley did the string arragements (presumably at the PSB's suggestion, as she had just done the arrangments on their album for Liza Minelli). Sumner's vocal track was only recorded in one take after the lyrics had been written (presuably because singing is Sumner's least favourite part of the recording process).

The B-side of most of the releases was Lucky Bag, a house instrumental that sounds very New Order-y (unsurprisng, as Sumner was using a lot of New Order's gear). The 12" remix single ('Electromix') included a couple of remixes by Hacienda DJs Mike Pickering and Graeme Park (one being the Nude Mix, named after the night they curated at the Hac - this sounds very 'of it's time'). The B-side included the rough mix version of the song prior to Dudley's strings being added. This has never been released on CD (and doesn't appear to be on Youtube either).

The track also warranted two music videos, the European one commisioned by Factory (via Michael Shamberg) and directed by French artist and documentary maker Chris Marker with the trio performing in a darkened studio, and a more flashy one made by WEA for the US market directed by Greg Copeland and Judith Briant

Crabwalk

Quote from: buzby on July 20, 2020, 12:05:04 PM
The song features The The's David Palmer on drums, as Marr was part of that band at the time. The Art Of Noise's Anne Dudley did the string arrangements

If those two had have stayed on for ABC's 'Beauty Stab', I reckon it would've sounded quite a bit like this record.

The Culture Bunker

I'm always surprised 'Getting Away With It' wasn't a bigger hit. Sounds like an obvious top five candidate at the least.

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 20, 2020, 12:22:25 PM
If those two had have stayed on for ABC's 'Beauty Stab', I reckon it would've sounded quite a bit like this record.
I think in 'Rip It Up and Start Again', Fry says he wanted the album to have a Gang of Four vibe to it, which Simon Reynolds notes as a bit ironic, as Go4 at the time were making their wretched attempt at the mainstream with 'Hard'.

DrGreggles

Quote from: buzby on July 20, 2020, 12:05:04 PM
The B-side included the rough mix version of the song prior to Dudley's strings being added. This has never been released on CD (and doesn't appear to be on Youtube either).

Is it this one?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YTMG5Xfyle-RmmsBz_2RIM9979AJWC0K
I think it's from Electromix, but called 'original version' rather than 'rough mix'.

Johnny Marr plays a lovely version of Getting Away With It;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9zU6WkBpIM

It's a shame Marr only became comfortable with singing later on in his career. I think he'd have offered a nice alternative to Sumner on a few of those Electronic tracks. I believe he sung on a couple of tracks on Twisted Tenderness, but with a lot of processing added to the point where you can't really recognise him.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: non capisco on July 18, 2020, 07:12:10 PM
I'd misremembered Band Aid '89 keeping Jive Bunny's christmas record off the number one slot but, no, there it was squatting at the top for a week with its appallingly cheap cartoon video in which that prick rabbit gets out-cunted by an equally annoying turkey. That repeated bit of animation where it pops up in the foreground and waggles its eyebrows makes even the previous two Jive Bunny videos look like the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The bit where Jive Bunny is dancing jerkily about to one of the 'March Of The Mods' sections while the turkey looks on is depressingly low rent. Is that it from Jive Bunny now? They didn't carry on into the '90s, did they? There can't possibly be more. I fear there was one more.

I'm growing weirdly fond of Jive Bunny over the past few weeks despite hating it with all the vitriol of an NME-reading teen at the time. There's something warm and fannish and school disco about it all, shit video and everything. Plus the lack of historical correlation between song and video makes it much more fun than the nth rip-off of the Rock N Roll Years, no pretence at being anything other than some nice songs and some amusing video of things blowing up/crashing and dying.

non capisco

daf

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but there was an invisible edit in the BBC4 version of the 14 December show - during Jive Bunny.

The original broadcast features a large slice of Rock & Roll Christmas by Gary Glitter at the end, which has been (I think) re-dubbed with another section from the record - as can be seen here

I think we discussed it at the beginning of the 1989 run, when I asked if there were any performances by cancelled acts left. Glitter had previously caused a  Xmas edition Doctorin' The Tardis performance to be edited out because he joined KLF/Timelords on stage.

Will we get more edits necessitated by cancelled individuals in coming months?

buzby

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 20, 2020, 01:35:45 PM
Is it this one?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YTMG5Xfyle-RmmsBz_2RIM9979AJWC0K
I think it's from Electromix, but called 'original version' rather than 'rough mix'.
Yes, that's the one, it was titled 'Original Mix' on the Electromix 12" tracklisting.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on July 22, 2020, 02:37:57 AM
I think we discussed it at the beginning of the 1989 run, when I asked if there were any performances by cancelled acts left. Glitter had previously caused a  Xmas edition Doctorin' The Tardis performance to be edited out because he joined KLF/Timelords on stage.

Will we get more edits necessitated by cancelled individuals in coming months?
Well, if we ever get that far a 1984 performance of Another Rock And Roll Christmas comes up on the end credits of the 15th of December 1994 episode (hosted by Damon Albarn) and he appeared as a guest presenter during the 'Gold Mic era' on the 22nd of December 1994 (features The Human League in the studio doing Tell Me When), the 7th of December 1995 (features Pulp doing Disco 2000 via satelite) and the 6th of December 1996 (features Mansun in the studio doing Wide Open Space) so those would be a big editing job.

Keith Fucking Allen presented the 02/03/95 and 19/7/96 episodes - I wouldn't mind if they edited him out while they were at it.

What is the latest on BBC 4 being killed off?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on July 22, 2020, 07:41:20 PM
What is the latest on BBC 4 being killed off?
Last I heard it isn't being officially axed, but all the money that went towards commission/production of BBC FOUR stuff is being diverted to BBC 2 so totp repeats are safe for now.

This is the latest I could find, but I dunno how accurate it is.https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/05/bbc-four-axed/

Spudgun

Quote from: daf on July 20, 2020, 03:04:45 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but there was an invisible edit in the BBC4 version of the 14 December show - during Jive Bunny.

The original broadcast features a large slice of Rock & Roll Christmas by Gary Glitter at the end, which has been (I think) re-dubbed with another section from the record - as can be seen here

I've taken one for the team and had a close look - turns out the audio is actually left untouched apart from the early fade-out, but from halfway through Wizzard's verse there's a chunk of video cut out. Thanks to all the re-used animation, it's almost seamless (although the background changed abruptly). There are probably better things I could be doing with my time than editing Gary Glitter back into 30-year-old repeats of Top of the Pops, but today I couldn't think of any.

non capisco

Quote from: Spudgun on July 22, 2020, 11:39:30 PM
There are probably better things I could be doing with my time than editing Gary Glitter back into 30-year-old repeats of Top of the Pops, but today I couldn't think of any.

A burnt out old paedophile banished from the family home to live in an outdoor toilet at the back of an allotment in  Crayford wheezes his last words... "Not all heroes wear capes".

Spudgun

Quote from: non capisco on July 22, 2020, 11:59:27 PM
A burnt out old paedophile banished from the family home to live in an outdoor toilet at the back of an allotment in  Crayford wheezes his last words... "Not all heroes wear capes".

My true calling, at last! I've also done that Timelords one if anyone's interested.

Now, while I'm thinking about it, did off-air recordings of 17/12/87 and 31/12/87 ever show up? (Rocking Around the Christmas Tree's Rolf reference being the problem there.)

owlboy

Christmas '89
"Number ones and Number twos"

Icehaven

I'd got a vague idea that one of The London Boys had died but I was underestimating:

QuoteThe duo were killed when their car was hit by a drunk driver in the Eastern Alps, Austria, on 21 January 1996. Ephraim's wife also died in the accident, leaving their three-year-old son orphaned and leaving Fuller's 10-year-old daughter without a father.

'Kin hell.

Icehaven

Icehaven

My god did they actually think anyone gave a single fuck about who the presenters were? I watched it religiously from about 1988 to when it finished and I couldn't name a single presenter, they were just...nothing.

Icehaven

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 19, 2020, 12:43:24 PM
Oops, sorry, missus. Hopefully, you'll allow me to be " getting away with "! 😉[nb]being a song- ruining cunt [/nb]

S'alright, I forgive you. Marr though NEVER.

Icehaven

daf

25 December 1989: Presenters: Jakki Brambles, Bruno Brookes & Gary Davies

ERASURE – Stop
Christmas Crackers International
- - - - - - - - - - (January) - - - - - - - - - - - -
KYLIE MINOGUE & JASON DONOVAN – Especially For You
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
MIKE & THE MECHANICS – The Living Years
The Five Wise Men
MARC ALMOND & GENE PITNEY – Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart
Old Spice
- - - - - - - - - - (February) - - - - - - - - - - -
MICHAEL BALL – Love Changes Everything
MICHAEL JACKSON – Leave Me Alone
SIMPLE MINDS – B̊elfast Child
- - - - - - - - - - - (March) - - - - - - - - - - - -
MADONNA – Like A Prayer
JASON DONOVAN – Too Many Broken Hearts
Large slice of Ham
- - - - - - - - - - - (April) - - - - - - - - - - - -
SIMPLY RED – If You Don't Know Me By Now
BANGLES – Eternal Flame
- - - - - - - - - - - (May) - - - - - - - - - - - -
NATALIE COLE – Miss You Like Crazy
VARIOUS – Ferry 'Cross The Mersey
KYLIE MINOGUE – Hand On Your Heart
- - - - - - - - - - - (June) - - - - - - - - - - - -
CLIFF RICHARD – The Best Of Me
PRINCE – Batdance
SOUL II SOUL – Back To Life (However Do You Want Me)
JASON DONOVAN – Sealed With A Kiss
BROS – Too Much
Nuts
LONDON BOYS – London Nights
Lovely pair of Jumpers
THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH – Song For Whoever
A Small Trifle
- - - - - - - - - - - (July) - - - - - - - - - - - -
KYLIE MINOGUE – Wouldn't Change A Thing
JIVE BUNNY & THE MASTERMIXERS – Swing The Mood
SONIA – You'll Never Stop Me Loving You
Quality Treat
- - - - - - - - - - - (August) - - - - - - - - - - - -
ALICE COOPER – Poison
LIL LOUIS – French Kiss
- - - - - - - - - - (September) - - - - - - - - - - -
RICHARD MARX – Right Here Waiting
JASON DONOVAN – Every Day (I Love You More)
BLACK BOX – Ride On Time
Hooky Whine
- - - - - - - - - - (October) - - - - - - - - - - -
MILLI VANILLI – Girl I'm Gonna Miss You
TECHNOTRONIC featuring FELLY – Pump Up The Jam
JIVE BUNNY & THE MASTERMIXERS – That's What I Like
LISA STANSFIELD – All Around The World
The North Star
- - - - - - - - - - (November) - - - - - - - - - - -
PHIL COLLINS – Another Day In Paradise
LINDA RONSTADT & AARON NEVILLE – Don't Know Much
NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK – You Got It (The Right Stuff)
- - - - - - - - - - (December) - - - - - - - - - - -
JASON DONOVAN – When You Come Back To Me
JIVE BUNNY & THE MASTERMIXERS – Let's Party
(1) BAND AID II – Do They Know It's Christmas? (video)
The Leftovers

PAUL HARDCASTLE - The Wizard (video clips + credits)
More Repeats