Author Topic: Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.  (Read 164881 times)

buzby

Re: Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.
« Reply #2730 on: August 01, 2020, 10:21:54 PM »
As we've reached that point in the TOTP re-runs, thought it would be an appropriate time to link to this:

'Eighties' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB0jH24oeXc

A 3 hour compilation of clips of assorted acts' performances on various TV shows which was broadcast on BBC2 from late on NYE 1989 into the new decade.
I was rather hoping they might get round to showing the Eighties BBC2 New Years Eve 1989 review of the decade that featured performances from OGWT, ORS and other BBC programmes as well as TOTP. I recorded it on VHS at the time but I'd love to see it again in decent picture quality.
Thanks for this, it's better quality than my VHS copy is now, so short of it being repeated on BBC4 is't the best I'm gonig to get.

daf

• some weirdo taking the piss
« Reply #2731 on: August 02, 2020, 08:02:11 AM »
They messed up the aspect ratio again tonight - broadcast a 4:3 show in 16:9. They have been getting very slapdash on that front lately.

Could it be a local transmitter? - everything seemed fine over here in North Wales.

I've got an old Toshiba, and a new Panasonic simultaneously recording these. The 'flag' to squash it to 4:3 was activated correctly on the Toshiba as standard a few seconds into the title sequence. *

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (I can't tell on the Panasonic - as I'm still bamboozled by the settings - but it looks 4:3 - either by forced black bars or by squashing)

« Reply #2732 on: August 02, 2020, 09:33:50 AM »
I enjoyed that 1 hour a lot. Bring on the 90s.

Chriddof

• Sad mammal.
« Reply #2733 on: August 02, 2020, 07:39:02 PM »
Could it be a local transmitter? - everything seemed fine over here in North Wales.

From what I've seen over the years, BBC Wales take a lot more care with presentation and the technical side of things than the main London region does.

Tags: