Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:17:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 01, 2020, 09:26:19 AM
As we've reached that point in the TOTP re-runs, thought it would be an appropriate time to link to this:

'Eighties' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB0jH24oeXc

A 3 hour compilation of clips of assorted acts' performances on various TV shows which was broadcast on BBC2 from late on NYE 1989 into the new decade.
Quote from: buzby on July 31, 2020, 09:45:41 PM
I was rather hoping they might get round to showing the Eighties BBC2 New Years Eve 1989 review of the decade that featured performances from OGWT, ORS and other BBC programmes as well as TOTP. I recorded it on VHS at the time but I'd love to see it again in decent picture quality.
Thanks for this, it's better quality than my VHS copy is now, so short of it being repeated on BBC4 is't the best I'm gonig to get.

daf

Quote from: buzby on July 31, 2020, 09:45:41 PM
They messed up the aspect ratio again tonight - broadcast a 4:3 show in 16:9. They have been getting very slapdash on that front lately.

Could it be a local transmitter? - everything seemed fine over here in North Wales.

I've got an old Toshiba, and a new Panasonic simultaneously recording these. The 'flag' to squash it to 4:3 was activated correctly on the Toshiba as standard a few seconds into the title sequence. *

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (I can't tell on the Panasonic - as I'm still bamboozled by the settings - but it looks 4:3 - either by forced black bars or by squashing)

I enjoyed that 1 hour a lot. Bring on the 90s.

Chriddof

Quote from: daf on August 02, 2020, 08:02:11 AM
Could it be a local transmitter? - everything seemed fine over here in North Wales.

From what I've seen over the years, BBC Wales take a lot more care with presentation and the technical side of things than the main London region does.

purlieu

Norton Canes

non capisco

Quote from: icehaven on July 31, 2020, 08:59:37 PM
Geldof wiping a tired eye there, fucking fraud.

Only just watched this Best of the 80s one and had totally forgotten about Simon Le Bon captured coming in too early on the 'Let them know it's Christmas time again' bit, thrusting his hand up to the sky dramatically then having to style it out, miming the rest of it anyway but looking incredibly sheepish. Even better than the infamous bum note at Live Aid!

I'm kind of in love with Kim Wilde, any era.

edon

Nothing properly scheduled for 1990 at the moment still. However:

QuoteTop Of The Pops: The Story Of 1990 (1 x 60m)

The documentary explores how, after the global political upheaval of 1989, the new decade soon demonstrated that the new pop grammars of hip-hop and dance all too often bewilder the entertainment-focused, old-school institution of the BBC's weekly chart show.

Artists such as Betty Boo, MC Tunes and Beats International bring the British take on hip-hop to the studio, whilst Adamski, Orbital, 808 State and Euro-dance sensations Snap! deliver their brand of beats to the TOTP audience.

In a year in which even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and John Barnes embrace rap, breakthrough hip-hop artists share the studio with some big balladeers including Sinead O'Connor and Maria McKee. As Milli Vanilli lose their Grammy Award for lip syncing, Top Of The Pops begins to question its own miming policy.

Hip-hop kids and the indie underground are beginning to enter the pop mainstream, but despite the new zeitgeist the battle for the Christmas Number 1 is a stand-off between the old and new guards: Cliff Richard and Vanilla Ice. Top Of The Pops: The Story Of 1990 features contributions from Adamski, Seal, Betty Boo, Orbital, Norman Cook and the Beats International vocalist Lindy Layton, Paul Hooton (The Farm) and Penny Ford (Snap!).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/bbc-music-tv-music-documentaries-summer-autumn

Captain Z

I just began getting invested in these from about 1987 onwards, so I'm hoping it won't be too long.

edon

I would hazard a guess it's on the cards for a late September start after the Proms finish up, unfortunately.

sweeper

Quote from: edon on August 18, 2020, 01:35:08 PM
Nothing properly scheduled for 1990 at the moment still. However:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/bbc-music-tv-music-documentaries-summer-autumn

The write-ups for these always sound so amazing, but the reality is it's generally one hour of aged Radio 1 DJs and Wendy James saying things like 'it was completely mad ... a bonkers time for pop.'

I'm fine with that, all the same.

edon

Always at least one mention of 'the year that everything changed', usual embellishing of a relatively small thing going on in the charts, etc. I hope they at least have more Al in this one (or other CMP contributors), as since they're attempting to cover UK hip hop I'd imagine he'd give good insight into how it was for a fan at the time.

If 1990 is measured by its No. 1 singles, there's a great run from February to June but then it's total pants for the rest of the year. It's as if the slot shut down after the World Cup and said "OK, that's your lot."

daf

Quote from: edon on August 20, 2020, 05:06:11 PM
Always at least one mention of 'the year that everything changed'

Well, I would say this - I've been producing Top of the Pops for 18 years. In 1976, the charts were filled with prog rock, then Punk came along and changed everything.
In 1977, Punk changed everything.
In 1978, Punk changed everything.
In 1979, some Pink Floyd song got to number 1
In 1980, Punk changed everything
In 1981, Punk changed everything.
In 1982, there was the incident with Lieutenant Pigeon.
In 1983, Punk changed everything.
In 1984, Punk changed everything.
In 1985, Punk changed everything.
In 1986... I mean, I could go on.

matjam13

BBC Archive Copy Of 14/7/88 With Either Somewhat Audible, Barely Audible Or Mute Links As Well As Some Footage Of The Mac Band Filming A Performance Of Roses Are Red Which Was Used On 21/7/88
https://wobbly.wetransfer.com/downloads/4d2fd014b1077c0fab599125618c9f4020200904052654/114d8f

matjam13

Information about Top Of The Pops Big Hits/Story Of 1990

MUSIC: Top of the Pops
On: BBC Four HD (106)
Date: Friday 2nd October 2020 (starting in 17 days)
Time: 20:00 to 21:00 (1 hour long)

Big Hits 1990

Musical recap of a new decade and a new era as hip-hop, dance and indie flavours began to find a place in the mainstream charts. Top of the Pops continued to cater the best performances every Thursday to the British public with lots of dry ice, handheld cameras and a small but noisy studio audience. This compilation celebrates with some of the best studio performances of the biggest hits including break-out appearances by Adamski featuring Seal, Vanilla Ice, Beats International, EMF, the KLF, Primal Scream and Snap! Plus, plenty of girl power from Betty Boo, Sinead O'Connor, Maria McKee, En Vogue, Kylie Minogue and Tina Turner.

MUSIC: Top of the Pops
On: BBC Four HD (106)
Date: Friday 2nd October 2020 (starting in 17 days)
Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long)

The Story of 1990

A look back at the musical tastes of the early 1990s, when the new pop grammars of hip-hop and dance bewildered the old school institution that was the BBC's weekly chart show. Adamski, Orbital, 808 State and Snap! struggled to translate their brand of cool beats to the BBC's need for musicianship and random dancers, while the likes of Betty Boo, MC Tunes and Beats International brought the British take on hip-hop to the studio. In a year in that even saw footballer John Barnes embrace rap, these breakthrough hip-hop artists had to share the limelight with big balladeers including Sinead O'Connor and Maria McKee.

The summary makes the year sound better than it was. Definitely very selectively filtered.

edon

Not only is TOTP on BBC4 returning soon, but Mike Read, undeterred by the failure of Sounds Like Friday Night, appears to be trying to produce (even currently filming??) some sort of revival project for the show, naturally featuring Bucks Fizz instead of Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion:

https://twitter.com/MikeReadUK/status/1307741136245719041

Imagine if Chart Music covered one of these. I'd love for it to be astonishingly awful but really it'll probably just be a bit depressing for all those involved.

Quote from: A Hat Like That on August 02, 2020, 09:33:50 AM
I enjoyed that 1 hour a lot. Bring on the 90s.

Revisiting. Good set of shows on tonight.

kaprisky

Wow! Studio rushes footage. And out-of-hours performances by old stagers looking for a hit. I wonder who else had the Liza treatment?

And are we expecting any cuts to the 1990 run?

edon

1990 should be a clear run, unless there's another live show they ballsed up the recording of, or if Craig McLachlan is now on the banned list. No new presenters either, and we'll also see the end of host pairing, which is a bit of a shame. If there was nothing else going on in the show, there was usually always some kind of fuckery between the two TOTP hosts that was entertaining.

Possibly unsurprisingly, Betty Boo and Orbital in particular came across really well in that documentary. Penny Ford was also good in explaining all the Snap sampling business. Adamski, however

Enjoying.

Here's a photo of Vanilla Ice with Benny Hill.

daf

famethrowa

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 03, 2020, 11:54:28 AM

Oh that made me laugh. Is there anywhere in the world apart from this fine forum where the Spook-man is such a celebrated touchstone? I doubt it.

Quote from: edon on October 02, 2020, 11:40:42 PM
Adamski, however

I have only just discovered this year that "Adamski" is not something to do with Adam Ant, he's a completely different artist.

kidsick5000

Quote from: edon on October 02, 2020, 11:40:42 PM
Adamski, however

One of the great questions I've never got around to finding the answer to.
If you had a big hit in the early 90s, and the dj gigs that go with it etc – is it possible to never really have to work again?
Or live a comfortable life where a forehead tattoo and candyfloss beard are feasible?

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 03, 2020, 02:27:16 PM
One of the great questions I've never got around to finding the answer to.
If you had a big hit in the early 90s, and the dj gigs that go with it etc – is it possible to never really have to work again?
Or live a comfortable life where a forehead tattoo and candyfloss beard are feasible?

Possibly, but in Adamski's case unfortunately probably not. He rose to fame very quickly and would have got an OK-ish deal with MCA that probably included a decent advance which would have been spent pretty quickly on studio gear/recording his album. Killer was a big hit, but the album flopped spectacularly as did the next two so he likely came out of that deal with not much money. He then signed to ZTT and didn't have much success there so I guess by 2000 the returns on all this music would have dropped to a small amount. If he was lucky he would have bought a flat/house outright in the early 90's when he had his advance money flying around.

Killer was rerecorded by Trevor Horn for Seal's debut album which was very successful so he would have done nicely from that, although only as the co-writer of one track. You barely heard Killer on the radio etc after it's release and when you do it is likely to be the Seal LP version, so likely doesn't bring in much revenue for him nowdays.

PaulTMA

That TOTP 1990 show is the best telly I've seen in ages.  Loved all the stuff with MC Tunes, in the words of the 808 State guy, had "seen a bit of life... I think he'd had a run-in with a bus".

I wish they could have recapped Adamski's punk past with his childhood project, The Stupid Babies, but alas probably not quite relevant enough.