Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:31:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Got overexcited seeing my beloved Faith No More in the chart rundown but I don't think they'll be on until later in the year doing 'From Out Of Nowhere', with some classic 'I am obviously miming' mugging from Patton that supposedly pissed off the top brass according to the FNM biography I just finished reading.

Sinead O'Connor's version of 'Nothing Compares 2 U' is one of those records that was just wallpaper to me growing up but then I listen to it now after years of grizzled experience and it's completely heartbreaking. God, does she sell that song. TOTP seems determined not to show the whole song though, despite Bruno Brookes even alluding to the famous teardrop. Why aren't they showing that bit? Madness!

I have a strange amount of affection for that And Why Not? song, Matt Goss style growls and all. Were they big Barry Norman fans?

Menu

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 24, 2020, 12:20:08 PM
I think even then on some tin-pot local radio station he was a jumped up prick who swanned around like he owned the place.

I think this stemmed from the following conversation when I said I was watching the reruns:
Me: "Bruno Brookes wasn't a very likeable presenter was he?"
"No. He wasn't."
"There's another one on the go at the moment I can't really stand either, but I can't remember his name."
"Peter Powell, probably?"
"That's the one!"

Didn't they both go out with Anthea 'The Body' Turner?

edon

Quote from: Menu on October 24, 2020, 07:46:33 PM
Didn't they both go out with Anthea 'The Body' Turner?
Yes, in fact I was just flicking through that second episode on iPlayer and specific mention was made of her and Powell being newlywed at the end.

Powell also went out with Janice Long in the mid 80s, and from memory hosted some TOTPs with her around that time as well. At least one of them I remember seeing must've even been from after they'd split up, as things looked frosty between them at some points.

Menu

Quote from: edon on October 24, 2020, 08:24:01 PM
Yes, in fact I was just flicking through that second episode on iPlayer and specific mention was made of her and Powell being newlywed at the end.

Powell also went out with Janice Long in the mid 80s, and from memory hosted some TOTPs with her around that time as well. At least one of them I remember seeing must've even been from after they'd split up, as things looked frosty between them at some points.

Blimey he got around a bit. You old dog, Peter!

Captain Z

Quote from: daf on October 24, 2020, 12:06:11 PM
( 7 )PHIL COLLINS – I Wish It Would Rain Down

But seriously, when this came out was everybody just going "isn't this Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here"?

DrGreggles

Phil Collins always used to be a shorthand for musical wallpaper paste. Now, watching back these TOTP, I've reassessed some of this earlier solo material.

But not that.

That song was truly truly shite

DrGreggles

I will defend Collins' first two solo albums until the end of my credibility life.

non capisco

Yeah, love all the singles off Face Value and I'm very fond of his cover of You Can't Hurry Love. The video of that with the three Phils is one of my earliest memories. Thru These Walls......ehhhhhhh, not so much. Very much the 'Old Pop In An Oak' to In The Air Tonight's 'Cotton Eye Joe'.

PHIL COLLINS: Here's the first single off the second solo album. It sounds like In The Air Tonight!
VIRGIN RECORDS GUY: Great!
PHIL COLLINS: But shit and about a paedophile!
VIRGIN RECORDS GUY: Oh.

Menu

Quote from: non capisco on October 27, 2020, 11:22:57 PM

I'm very fond of his cover of You Can't Hurry Love. The video of that with the three Phils is one of my earliest memories.

Mine too!! My mum told us we had to call her into the front room whenever it was on because she liked it so much.

Did your mum do that?

Jockice

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 24, 2020, 05:11:48 PM
One of my favourites from their indie era

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yO-Md9InuLY

Just got round to playing this. Yeah, it's decent enough. I still can't understand how I'd managed not to even be aware of their existence until they became a chart band though. I was Mr Indie in the 80s. It's one of those weird unexplained mysteries that Arthur C Clarke should have looked into.

non capisco

Quote from: Menu on October 28, 2020, 12:18:27 AM
Mine too!! My mum told us we had to call her into the front room whenever it was on because she liked it so much.

Did your mum do that?

I vividly remember her laughing when the two backing Phils jumped round and shook their arses.

Oz Oz Alice

I've been thinking about Phil Collins more than I would ever have expected to be recently in light of the revelation that his ex-wife has stolen his house off him and won't leave. I doubt he intended Take Me Home to be read that way.

Edited to add context: https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/10/phil-collins-ex-wife-orianne-cevey-20-million-payout-vacate-mansion

kaprisky

Quotehello peter, hello paul
saints and sinners, welcome all
tommy cannon and bobby ball
hello, hello, hello, hello

If the BBC is to be believed then it's goodbye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye for Ball.
RIP.

Captain Z

Quote from: kalowski on October 24, 2020, 12:59:02 PM
hello peter, hello paul
saints and sinners, welcome all
tommy cannon and bobby ball
hello, hello, hello, hello

little richard, little nell
willy wonka and william tell
salman rushdie and kym mazelle
hello, hello, hello, hello.

mork and mindy, brian hayes
barry humphries and paris grey
little neepsie, chris and do
hello, hello, hello, hello...

billy corkhill, vince hilaire
freddie flintstone, fred astaire
desmond tutu, steve and claire

charlie parker, charlie brown
leslie crowther, come on down
mary wilson, di and flo

sir bufton tufton, jean paul sartre
zippy, bungle, jeffrey archer
andre previn and the lso

We didn't start the fire...

Norton Canes

buzby

Quote from: daf on October 16, 2020, 09:52:31 PM
18 January 1990: Presenter: Nicky Campbell
Eurgh, this smug unfunny bellend again.
(13)HALO JAMES – Could Have Told You So
i'm sure alan Moore must hve been thrilled that one of his works inspired the anem of this band. Bland and anodyne, the tail end of 'sophisti-Pop' two years too late. The titular Mr. James appears to be wearing jacket made from old doormats. Keyboard player Neil Palmer has the regulation DX7 and a rarely-spotted Kurzweil K250 sampling workstation (released in 1984, but still pretty well-regarded, it was about to be replaced by the K2000S). Guitarist Ray St. John had been in the band Pride at the turn of the previous decade alongside Sade and co-wrote Smooth operator.

Wanted, the lead single from their debut album Witness had stalled at #45 the previous September, and Baby, the follow up to this would stall at #43 in March. The album debuted at #18 in April, but was out of the Top 40 after 4 weeks. A fourth single from the album, Magic Hour, also failed to dent the Top 40, peaking at #59 in May, and a rerelease of Wanted did even worse, scraping to #89. Work was started on a second album and a promo for a new single I Think I Love You Too Much was issued in August, but never got past #98 so work was stopped. They officially disbanded in 1991 following artistic differences between James and Ray St. John. James wrote Mission Of Love, Jason Donovan's first post-PWL sigle in 1992
(20)LIL' LOUIS & THE WORLD – I Called U (video)
Yes, Campbell is being a massive dick in his intro, but it's no French Kiss, is it?
(23)MARTIKA – More Than You Know
Hmm. This sounds like it was meant for Debbie Gibson or Tiffany. It was written by Marvin Morrow and the producer of Martika's debut album Michael Jay, a partnership that had written The Slightest Touch and If I Say Yes for 5 Star's Silk And Steel album. It had actually been released the previous March as her debut single but didn't chart, so following the success of Toy Soldiers it was dusted off, spruced up with a John 'Jellybean' Benitez remix and rereleased in December.
(18)MEGADETH – No More Mr. Nice Guy (video)
More turgid FM Rock shite.
(2)   |  KYLIE MINOGUE – Tears On My Pillow (video)
This is bad, very bad. At this point in her career her voice simply isn't suited to this type of song (or the Infernal Machine had reached it's limits). It's not quite Tiffany 'I Saw Him Standing There' level of a terrible choice of cover version, but it's not far off. At least Tiffany had the excuse of it being a live recording.

Gulftastic

Quote from: buzby on October 30, 2020, 06:36:18 PMThis is bad, very bad. At this point in her career her voice simply isn't suited to this type of song (or the Infernal Machine had reached it's limits). It's not quite Tiffany 'I Saw Him Standing There' level of a terrible choice of cover version, but it's not far off. At least Tiffany had the excuse of it being a live recording.

This is holding pattern Kylie. She's on the cusp of her greatest era. Just grit your teeth and wait for Better The Devil You Know.

PinkNoise

Quote from: buzby on October 30, 2020, 06:36:18 PMi'm sure alan Moore must hve been thrilled that one of his works inspired the anem of this band. Bland and anodyne, the tail end of 'sophisti-Pop' two years too late. The titular Mr. James appears to be wearing jacket made from old doormats. Keyboard player Neil Palmer has the regulation DX7 and a rarely-spotted Kurzweil K250 sampling workstation (released in 1984, but still pretty well-regarded, it was about to be replaced by the K2000S). Guitarist Ray St. John had been in the band Pride at the turn of the previous decade alongside Sade and co-wrote Smooth operator.

Wanted, the lead single from their debut album Witness had stalled at #45 the previous September, and Baby, the follow up to this would stall at #43 in March. The album debuted at #18 in April, but was out of the Top 40 after 4 weeks. A fourth single from the album, Magic Hour, also failed to dent the Top 40, peaking at #59 in May, and a rerelease of Wanted did even worse, scraping to #89. Work was started on a second album and a promo for a new single I Think I Love You Too Much was issued in August, but never got past #98 so work was stopped. They officially disbanded in 1991 following artistic differences between James and Ray St. John. James wrote Mission Of Love, Jason Donovan's first post-PWL sigle in 1992

Briefly de-lurking for a couple of observations.

I was working in a chart return shop during this period and that Halo James single was infamous for the sheer number of different formats it was released in. Discogs.com lists 13 separate editions,  but the number 16 is in my head for some reason.  It was all an effort to get the single in the charts by offering nice editions at a discounted price.

Want a picture disc? You got it. Free Halo James badge? Yes indeed! What about a single in a box? Step this way.

We're due The Cure's Pictures Of You in a couple of weeks, which arrived in a wallet-troubling 12 formats - an "A" set with live b-sides in green vinyl and a "B" set with different live b-sides in morose purple vinyl. For any completists out there, it was a nightmare.

The BPI soon put a stop to this - the number of formats eligible for the chart was reduced to just four.

My only other observation re this episode is that the Technotronic single was pressed LOUD and twats used to bring it back, saying the vinyl was scratched. Change your stylus FFS!

Anyway, love the input Buzby, cheers.

daf

15 February 1990: Presenter: Anthea Turner

( 5 )BLACK BOX – I Don't Know Anybody Else 
(15)CHER – Just Like Jesse James  (video)
(25)ERIC CLAPTON – Bad Love  (video)
(24)THE WEDDING PRESENT – Brassneck
(21)ROD STEWART – Downtown Train  (video)
( 6 )SYBIL – Walk On By 
(17)DEPECHE MODE – Enjoy The Silence  (video)

(22)MICHAEL BOLTON – How Am I Supposed To Live Without You (video)
(31)THE STRANGLERS – 96 Tears
( 1 )SINEAD O'CONNOR – Nothing Compares 2 U 
(27)TINA TURNER – Steamy Windows  (video and credits)

DrGreggles

edon

Wouldn't of thought a lead singer of a only moderately successful indie pop band would be verified on Twitter, but I suppose they just dish out the blue checkmarks to anyone these days.

Not found much of note on the last couple (are they editing songs down even more harshly now?), but was nice to be reminded of how good Talking With Myself is, at least from the few seconds we got of it. Enjoy The Silence as well.

Anthea Turner must've also not overdone it on the cocaines for once as she didn't seem quite as bad as she's previously been during that first show.

crankshaft

"Downtown Train" is Rod's best single since "Do You Think I'm Sexy", but it still murders the original.

"Bad Love" is a tiresome rewrite of "Layla".

"I Don't Know Anybody Else" is a tiresome rewrite of "Ride On Time".

It's sad to see The Stranglers in the midst of cover version hell, especially since so many of their latter 80s singles were so good - it's baffling to me that "No Mercy" and (especially) "Always The Sun" weren't top 10 smashes.

daf

22 February 1990: Presenter: Mark Goodier

(13)TINA TURNER – Steamy Windows 
(24)CHRIS REA – Tell Me There's A Heaven  (video)
( 2 )BEATS INTERNATIONAL feat. LINDY LAYTON – Dub Be Good To Me 
(19)CLIFF RICHARD – Stronger Than That  (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(32)THUNDER – Dirty Love  (video)
(33)ELECTRIBE 101 – Talking With Myself  (video)
(36)JAMIE J. MORGAN – Walk On The Wild Side  (video)
(38)RENEGADE SOUNDWAVE – Probably A Robbery  (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(27)GURU JOSH – Infinity 
(22)ADAM ANT – Room At The Top 

(29)AEROSMITH – Dude (Looks Like A Lady)  (video and credits)

Norton Canes

First off let's hear it for CYPER GRAPHICS supremo Rockett Norton for pulling out all the stops on the 15th Feb show - loved Cher's pumpin' gun and Rod's chuffin' loco. But wait - what's this? He's got some stiff competition in the 22st Feb edition from his nemesis David Ward who gives us a glorious Steamy Window and Aerosmith's flyin' A. Can only imagine the palpable sense of rivalry whenever those two met.

(and isn't it great that the credits end with '© BBC 1990'? None of this Roman numeral shit huh!)

Anyway make the most of them, an industrial dispute in April meant they went on hiatus until 1991.

Quote from: daf on October 30, 2020, 10:24:44 PM
( 5 )BLACK BOX – I Don't Know Anybody Else

Mail box

(25)ERIC CLAPTON – Bad Love  (video)

Bad 'tache

(24)THE WEDDING PRESENT – Brassneck

F8ck's sake Gedge it's the Pops, you're not supposed to look cool

(17)DEPECHE MODE – Enjoy The Silence  (video)

As demo'ed by Martin Gore this was a slow ballad, but Alan Wilder saw the potential of making it an up-tempo track. Not sure this version would have been quite such a big hit. Won the 1991 Brit Award for 'Single Of The Year' as voted for by Radio 1 listeners... which was nice.

Quote from: daf on October 31, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

What the f8ck?! I swear I have no recollection of this song at all. Tasteful vid Chris.

Lost for words.

Gets its 15 seconds of fame after crashing in at no.39 the previous week. Nice fillip for Mute Records I guess.

(27)GURU JOSH – Infinity 

Ah, sad. Not everyone makes it to the Story of... retrospectives. A lovely plaintive track and no worse for just wanting to be Pacific State.

So weird seeing big stars synonymous with one pop era showing up a few years later. Physically he's hardly changed, but the entire aesthetic has shifted and he looks like a fish out of water. Though the already-dated new jack rhythm doesn't really help, to be fair.

I tell you what... this is by no means a show where everyone's been hit by the ugly stick (in general, I mean - obviously David Gedge was on this edition earlier) but even compared to the ever-winsome Adam Ant, Sinead, in this second studio performance, looks utterly, utterly perfect. Just everything about her is gorgeous, right down to the little scud of hair across her forehead. Stunning.

Anyway loving these Pops double bills, fighting out with Monday's Only Connect/University Challenge combo for my top TV hour of the week.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 31, 2020, 06:41:48 PM

A lovely plaintive track and no worse for just wanting to be Pacific State.

"1990s, time for Guru"

or maybe not.

kalowski

Quote from: daf on October 31, 2020, 03:23:45 PM
22 February 1990: Presenter: Mark Goodier

(13)TINA TURNER – Steamy Windows 
( 2 )BEATS INTERNATIONAL feat. LINDY LAYTON – Dub Be Good To Me 
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(32)THUNDER – Dirty Love  (video)
(33)ELECTRIBE 101 – Talking With Myself  (video)
(36)JAMIE J. MORGAN – Walk On The Wild Side  (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(27)GURU JOSH – Infinity 

(29)AEROSMITH – Dude (Looks Like A Lady)  (video and credits)
This was a fucking awful episode. Tina Turner was head and shoulders above everyone else. I despise Dub Be Good To Me. The Cliff Richard track was one of the worst things I'd ever heard and that Guru Josh was everything I hate about music in the 90s in a package.

kalowski

By the way, I agree with Norton Canes, Sinead looked utterly gorgeous. Sadly that doesn't stop it being a limp and soulless version of a great little Prince track.

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 31, 2020, 06:41:48 PM
(27) |  GURU JOSH – Infinity

Ah, sad. Not everyone makes it to the Story of... retrospectives. A lovely plaintive track and no worse for just wanting to be Pacific State

I remember driving around the independent record shops of the South Coast cos my DJ partner just had to have this tune (before the Deconstruction release) in his VW Beetle which had broken heating, so I had hot air blasting on my feet all day. Good times.

Got a soft spot for the 2008 remix that was #1 everywhere in Europe when I was spending a lot of time there.

edon

Now that he's come up I'm actually surprised they didn't mention the Guru in that documentary. Wouldn't of been hard to mention him alongside the usual stock footage of poll tax riots.