Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:31:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

30 April 1987: Presenters: Peter Powell & Steve Wright

(19) THE JESUS & MARY CHAIN – April Skies
Four strings is for Jazzers & Squares, man!
(3) STARSHIP – Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now (video)
We built this video on Mann-e-quin
(16) LABI SIFFRE – (Something Inside) So Strong
(Sax on the Side) So Wrong

(14) LEVEL 42 – To Be With You Again
Hello Mum!
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(23) SPEAR OF DESTINY – Never Take Me Alive
(21) FLEETWOOD MAC – Big Love
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(7) TOM JONES – A Boy From Nowhere (video)
Succulent Roast Turkey
(1) MADONNA – La Isla Bonita (video)
Nobody expects the Spanish Sing Position
(24) DURAN DURAN – Meet El Presidente (video / credits)
Eth-eth-eth-eth . . . Chris Waddle

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on February 22, 2019, 09:42:41 PM

Pretty sure I won Mark & Lard's Son of Cheesily with that song.

buzby

Quote from: daf on February 15, 2019, 09:13:05 PM
16 April 1987: Presenters: Janice Long & Peter Powell (Double-Denim Special!)
Not half - were they sponsored by Wrangler or something?
(10) LIVIN' IN A BOX – Livin' In A Box
Marcus Vere is clearly loving it - he's got an Emulator II, Jupiter 8 (a bit retro for '87) and a couple of DX7s. Richard Darbyshire on the other hand looks lie he's dying inside, despite the over-emoting (note how at the end he can't wait to get off the stage). Tony Crutchlow  is valiantly trying to make it look like he's not redundant, despite the drums being totally programmed on a Linn 9000 (the massive gated snare was sampled off the Jam & Lewis-produced Artificial Heart by Cherelle). Freddy Washington on bass and Anglo-Swiss session singer Scarlett Von Wollenmann appeared on the album (as did Tessa Niles), but not on this track as most of it was recorded in LA (and it has synth bass)

Speaking of samples, they have stolen a march on Black Box by two years, as they have either sampled Loleatta Holloway's 'Wah-ho' from Love Sensation, or got one of the LA-based session singers to recreate it.
(19) HERB ALPERT – Keep Your Eye On Me (video)
Seeing more if the video makes it look even worse. Definitely has all the signs of Zbigniew Rybczynski knocking this out in an afternoon for a few bob. As an example of his contemporary work when he is really into it, see his short film The Fourth Dimension from 1988
RIKKI – Only The Light (not in chart)
Only the Shite!
Too right daf, this is fucking awful. The only consolation is that we get to see an ultra-rare MemoryMoog (possibly for the final time - the only previous appearance was Steve Bronski's one in Somerville era Bronski Beat). Seventies Opportunity Knocks winner Katie Budd is also giving it her all on backing vocals.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 22, 2019, 11:31:18 AMMarks the point at which Kim Wilde became properly hot, is all I'm saying.
There's a Kim Wilde song a year or so from this point that I remember being seven years old, seeing the video for and feeling "a bit wobbly".

I quite like this. Is that wrong?

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 22, 2019, 10:42:21 PM
Quote from: Norton Canes on February 22, 2019, 11:31:18 AM
Marks the point at which Kim Wilde became properly hot, is all I'm saying.
There's a Kim Wilde song a year or so from this point that I remember being seven years old, seeing the video for and feeling "a bit wobbly".
you Came, Four Letter Word or Never Trust A Stranger from 1988?
(it was probably Four Letter Word, as it seems to have been a bit chilly in the studio).
Fast forward to 1990 and we get this performance of Can't Get Enough (Of Your Love] in Paris, which is probably Peak Kim

Kim has always been gorgeous - even at the start of her career she was a close competitor to Clare Grogan for my childhood crush.

Any love for Naughty School girl Lauper performing Another Brick I nThe Wall On top of the Berlin Wall? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nl0xzzNGZA

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on February 22, 2019, 10:57:32 PMKim has always been gorgeous - even at the start of her career she was a close competitor to Clare Grogan for my childhood crush.
Video in question was "You Came", probably aided by it being a really good song.

DrGreggles

She was supporting Michael Jackson around that time, which probably helped too.

bigfatheart

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 22, 2019, 11:08:16 PM
She was supporting Michael Jackson around that time, which probably helped too.

That'd be the tour where both artists were doing Kids in America, then.

(Sorry, old joke)

jamiefairlie

Quote from: buzby on February 22, 2019, 10:57:32 PM

you Came, Four Letter Word or Never Trust A Stranger from 1988?
(it was probably Four Letter Word, as it seems to have been a bit chilly in the studio).
Fast forward to 1990 and we get this performance of Can't Get Enough (Of Your Love] in Paris, which is probably Peak Kim

Kim has always been gorgeous - even at the start of her career she was a close competitor to Clare Grogan for my childhood crush.

Never outdid her first appearance in my opinion. If she could do something about her permablocked sinuses she'd be even better.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: daf on February 21, 2019, 10:05:00 PM
(14) KIM WILDE & JUNIOR – Another Step (Closer To You)

About fifteen years ago I worked in a family run record around the city of London. The dad was lovely, the mum was a right old misery but oh my, the son was a right creepy fucker. (Thinking back now, I've remembered my girlfriend at the time wouldn't ever come in the shop after one encounter with the man).

So in walks Kim Wilde one day....

I was serving her at the time, and vaguely remember her asking about some 60's soul records, then suddenly spotting his unfortunate prey, the son butts in and takes over. He starting laying down his usual patter to 'charm' the ladies, e.g. I'm really rich with loads of properties (load of bollocks), I'm a big time player in the record industry (load of bollocks) Moving on, he then acknowledged he was talking to Ms Wilde by telling her he had a poster of her on his bedroom wall as a teenager and spent many (with a stress on many) an hour looking at that poster...nudge nudge, wink, wink. At this point I did the cowardly thing and hide in the toilet for ten minutes, as his banter had become too cringe worthy for my sensitive ears, I'm sorry I left you with him Kim!

Never saw Kim Wilde in the shop again....

non capisco

Quote from: the on February 21, 2019, 10:24:19 PM
I have fairly vivid memories of watching TOTP in this era, yet I literally have never heard that Judy Boucher song, heard of it, nor heard of her. Cack of the highest order (do they seriously think that the song itself is strong enough to not vary the musical palette at all throughout the entire track?).

So imagine my utter disbelief when the chart rundown came on and I realise it got to number 2! Number fucking 2.

Absolutely 100% same here. No memory of my mum's mate Crystal from down the road recording under the pseudonym 'Judy Boucher' whatsoever. My dad was the sort of character who would delight in giving a running commentary on Top Of The Pops episodes in classic dad fashion, I can remember him postulating on the curious movements of Fine Young Cannibals' guitarist perhaps being down to him "not having wiped his arse properly", so you'd think he would have said "Here, Liss. What's your mate doing on Top Of The Pops?" I'm starting to think they've just made up Judy Boucher for these repeats and have also changed the graphics and dubbed Gary Davies' voice to say "Glenn and Chris" instead of "Hoddle and Waddle".

daf

Quote from: non capisco on February 23, 2019, 07:21:45 PM
"Glenn and Chris" instead of "Hoddle and Waddle".

Surely the ONLY reason these plums were brought together in the first place by "Mr Big" from the Record Company is for the 'Hoddle 'n' Waddle' name-zinger - I mean, it's LYING there on a plate, and yet . . .

Frankly, it boddles the mind!

DrGreggles

Jockice

Quote from: non capisco on February 23, 2019, 07:21:45 PM
Absolutely 100% same here. No memory of my mum's mate Crystal from down the road recording under the pseudonym 'Judy Boucher' whatsoever. My dad was the sort of character who would delight in giving a running commentary on Top Of The Pops episodes in classic dad fashion, I can remember him postulating on the curious movements of Fine Young Cannibals' guitarist perhaps being down to him "not having wiped his arse properly", so you'd think he would have said "Here, Liss. What's your mate doing on Top Of The Pops?" I'm starting to think they've just made up Judy Boucher for these repeats and have also changed the graphics and dubbed Gary Davies' voice to say "Glenn and Chris" instead of "Hoddle and Waddle".

I do remember it but that's probably because I know someone with the same surname. Although he pronounces it boocher rather than bowcher.

non capisco

That Duran Duran song that closed the last episode shouldn't even have qualified as worthy for a b-side.

Gulftastic

Quote from: non capisco on February 23, 2019, 10:51:22 PM
That Duran Duran song that closed the last episode shouldn't even have qualified as worthy for a b-side.

And that must have been the best take of Le Bon's vocals. Fuck me.

Norton Canes

The Notorious singles have been taking a bit of stick on here but I like all three of them, especially 'Skin Trade'. 'Meet El Presidente' was supposedly about Thatcher, wasn't it?

buzby

Quote from: daf on February 21, 2019, 10:05:00 PM
23 April 1987: Presenter: Gary Davies (St George's Day Special!!)
Poor 'Dependable' Davies has his patience tested throughout the episode by the floor manager getting people to throw confetti over him.
(8) FIVE STAR – The Slightest Touch
Whenever I see one of their dance routines I always imagine Buster beasting them like Gunny Hartman in Full Metal Jacket in the rehearsals until they get it right. Even so, these fiddly dance moves always remind me of the sort of thing that young girls would make up in their bedrooms with their mates (maybe that was intentional, or maybe it was just Doris' level).
(13) THE SMITHS – Sheila Take A Bow
The last Smiths single to be released before the split. Marr looks a bit more engaged than he did for the 'Shoplifters' performance. Maybe he'd already decided he's had enough by now. Both this performance and the one from The Tube on the 10th of April have been used as the official video for the song over the years.
(14) KIM WILDE & JUNIOR – Another Step (Closer To You)
Not bad this, though it does sound a little retro for 1987 (not helped by the DX7 FM brass parping away in the background). Written by Kim and her band guitarist, Steve Byrd (who had previously been in Gillan)
(2) JUDY BOUCHER – Can't Be With You Tonight
Just so dreary. surely this must be thr worst of Mad Lizzie's crimes against society. The only ray of light in this whole farrago is the stagehand with the yellow pom-pom who reaches over and dumps the confetti over Davies' head in the intro, and then at the end of the first verse half-heartedly throws some more across rhe camera in what must have been a sarcastic attempt to liven up proceedings.
(17) GLENN & CHRIS – Diamond Lights
Hilarious. Hoddle is so into it, Waddle is visibly dying of embarrassment before our eyes. This all stemmed from a karaoke session at a corporate for their personal sponsors Budget Rent-A-Car. Someone in the audience was impressed enough that he introduced them to writer/producer Bob Puzey (primarily known for his work with peak-era Nolans, including i'm In The Mood for Dancing) who wrote and produced the song for them.

Apparently they had to appear in the studio as Michael Hurll had refused to play the awful video they had shot. The follow-up It's Goodbye, released in September, failed to chart, allegedly due to Hoddle's transfer to Monaco (but surely because it was so shite)

steveh

Quote from: buzby on February 25, 2019, 12:35:03 AM
Just so dreary. surely this must be thr worst of Mad Lizzie's crimes against society.

Pretty sure there was also a ton of money spent on payola on the pirate stations for that release too. There's a handful of releases that got in the top forty that way in the latter part of the eighties.

daf

7 May 1987: Presenter: Mike Smith

(6) LIVING IN A BOX – Living In A Box
'Wo-aahs' sounding like a Box . . .
'Wo-aahs' sounding like a Blaa-ack Box

(13) FLEETWOOD MAC – Big Love (video)
Pitched-up Lindsey Lady Grunts
(23) DEPECHE MODE – Strangelove
Like a Leather Messiah

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157664444582192

(19) SPEAR OF DESTINY – Never Take Me Alive
He's a high-falutin', rootin', tootin',
Son of a gun from Arizona London,
Ragtime Cowboy Kirk

- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(27) EUROPE – Carrie
(17) THE CULT – Lil' Devil
(22) SLY & ROBBIE – Boops (Here To Go)
Chorus borrowed for a Box . . .
Chorus borrowed for a Ruu-ude Box

(1) STARSHIP – Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now (video)
Terror of The Autons 2 : The Re-bootening
(9) KIM WILDE & JUNIOR – Another Step (Closer To You) (video / credits)
Dodging the Peperami

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/fef6ca1a655a4a852e5a59ff21ab999820190222225501/594adf

daf

Quote from: buzby on February 25, 2019, 12:35:03 AM
Hoddle is so into it, Waddle is visibly dying of embarrassment before our eyes.

Check out the Hoddle & Waddle Glenn & Chris interview in the latest Smash Hits!!

Bently Sheds

Funnily enough for a 'hit' song they don't include it in any of their greatest hits compilations.

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on February 25, 2019, 12:17:48 PM
(23) DEPECHE MODE – Strangelove
Like a Leather Messiah

Don't you hate it when your favourite jacket shrinks in the wash? What's that peculiar object hanging round Martin's neck? And what the fuck does Fletch even think he's playing?

Depeche Mode drop trusty producer Daniel Miller - by this time too busy running the Mute label for any studio time - for engineer turned producer Dave Bascombe, fresh from working with Tears For Fears (on Songs From The Big Chair) and... oh, loads of bands, go Google them. Apart from guitars being brought further to the fore, however, the Mode house style doesn't sound much changed.

Anyway here's the thing with Strangelove. I'd known from reading interviews with the band around the time of the release of Music For The Masses that they weren't happy with the original recording of the track, and had brought Daniel Miller back to re-engineer an improved version. But since only recently, I'd thought Miller's version must have been the up-tempo single release, which with its almost new jack swing-style whukka-tush rhythm is infinitely better than the rather dreary LP cut. But no, it's the single mix that the band didn't think matched the dark tone of the album, so Miller fashion a 'moodier' version. Shouldn't have bothered, if you ask me. For one thing, it means that one the rare occasion that the track gets radio play, the station uses the LP track.

Let's celebrate the brilliance of the original with the extended Maxi Mix

buzby

30 April 1987: Presenters: Peter Powell & Steve Wright
Wright's 'Noddy' BBC1 Globe jumper is a bit of a blast from the past - Richard Skinner wore one back in March 1982! Unfortunately for Wright BBC1 changed over to the COW (Computer Originated World) in 1985. A man out of time as ever.
Douglas' Gibson EB2 will end up with a twisted neck! mind you, three strings is one more than he usually had:
When asked in an interview about why his bass guitar only had two strings, the group's bass player, Douglas Hart, replied: "That's the two I use. I mean, what's the fucking point in spending money on another two? It's like, two is enough. It's adequate. Anybody can play this bass. Reid then looks back at Hart. "Introduce another couple of strings and you confuse the guy," he deadpans.
It's a great performance, and it's good to have something a bit alternative after the hair metal, sophisti-pop etc. of late.
(3) STARSHIP – Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now (video)
Gaaahhhhhh, Grace Slick's wizened husk of a band are back with another song they had little to do with. It was by uber-writers Albert 'dad of him out of The Strokes' Hammond and Dianne Warren, and had been written for the film rather than the band. It was then presented to Peter Wolf, who had put together Starship's 'Knee Deep In The Hoopla' album with little involvement from the band and got them a worldwide hit with the cheese-fest 'We Built This City'.

Wolf threw out Hammond and Warren's version, and as Starship were on tour and he was busy he got session drummer and producer Narada Michael Walden in to assemble the track, which was completed later when Slick and Mickey Thomas recorded their vocal 'duet' (seperately, naturally).
(Sax on the Side) So Wrong
i'm pretty sure that's ex-Belle Star (and Hazel O'Connor's current sax player) Clare Hirst on sax. However, it sounds like a Yamaha DX7 with the BC1 Breath Controller on the record.
'One of Britain's most consistent groups' - was that the best Powell could come up with? King is back on his original Jaydee Supernatural bass, and Alan Murphy appears to have a Les Paul-style Jaydee custom guitar too (same headstock shape as Mark's bass). Lindup's Prophet 5 has well and truly been kicked into touch now, with the DX7 alongside the Emulator II.
(24) DURAN DURAN – Meet El Presidente (video / credits)
Quite. It's an absolute nothing of a song.

the

Quote from: buzby on February 25, 2019, 11:39:57 PMWright's 'Noddy' BBC1 Globe jumper is a bit of a blast from the past - Richard Skinner wore one back in March 1982! Unfortunately for Wright BBC1 changed over to the COW (Computer Originated World) in 1985. A man out of time as ever.

It's also not a patch on Michael Crawford's one from White Powder Christmas:

... Just realised I may have accidentally screengrabbed Jimmy Hill there

Johnboy

- The Smiths , yes, Johnny more engaged for this one, their last Pops hurrah - he has a guffaw with Joyce at one point, might be suitably refreshed. I like Andy's deep navy denim

- Mary Chain,  nice balance of Jim's I don't do show business routine with actually carrying out the mime, great performance. They carry off the silly hair and leathers quite well, they have a proper edge, kind of streetwise.

- no Here to Go on BBC4, bah!

gilbertharding

Four strings is for Jazzers & Squares, man!

That wasn't Bobby on drums, was it?

According to wikipedia, by 1987 one of the Gillespie replacements John Moore had moved to rhythm guitar (he must have a sicknote, because he's not on the clip, is he?), and James Pinker drumming. He's doing a passable impression of the Kill All Hippies hitmaker, whoever he is.