Author Topic: Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.  (Read 30716 times)

Norton Canes

• The leper heart will see you for what you are
Re: Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.
« Reply #780 on: March 06, 2019, 11:05:04 AM »
Wasn't 1987 the Second Summer Of Love?

Oh no, that was 1988. 1987 was the summer of piss-poor jazz-inflected pop hits.

« Reply #781 on: March 06, 2019, 10:17:39 PM »
Marillion 'Incommunicado'

"Listen to the words, they're really clever." "Proper music" "Look, he's wearing a tie that looks like a fish! A Kipper Tie!! And his name's Fish!!!"

The whole thing stinks of Real Ale Farts. And I can't believe STILL no-one's told Fish he's going bald.

Compared and contrasted to Wet Wet Wet, who are the next band on... well, I know they're terrible too, but aren't they proper music too?

Also, what's the problem, in retrospect, with Johnny Hate's Jazz? Again, clearly the front man is a massive problem (but he has the opposite issue from Marti Pellow, having a face so indistinct it's almost offensively bland) but Shattered Dreams is a brilliant song. So is I Don't Want to be a Hero. In retrospect, obviously.

Yup, kind of guilty pleasure territory, but they're both really quite distinctive, sharply crafted minor key pop tunes (there's also a b-side to one of them, 'Cracking Up' which is kind of minimalist and genuinely excellent). Their later single 'Turn Back the Clock' is utter dreck though.

However, less of the cliched Marillion slagging if you please. True enough though they were unfortunately in a phase by this point of releasing singles that weren't really representative of their albums ('Clutching at Straws' is on the whole brilliant), a trend that would continue with the very silly 'Hooks in You' , which you'll have the pleasure of witnessing when we get to '89. Also, and seeing as buzby mentioned it, kudos to Mark Kelly for STILL playing a Minimoog in 87, in an era where just about everyone else was presumably trying to flog them for pennies in the Sound-on-Sound small ads.

« Reply #782 on: March 06, 2019, 10:29:09 PM »
I really enjoy those two Marillion albums 'Misplaced Chidhood' and 'Clutching at Straws'. The latter is basically Fish saying "I'm sick of this shit, and I'm packing it in", which he then went and did. So, fair fucks.

And as a kid, I quite liked Wet Wet Wet. Harmless enough pop music.

« Reply #783 on: March 06, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »
Speaking of ketboards, Mark Kelly's rig also contains the first TOTP sighting of one of the DX7's late 80s replacements in the ubiquity stakes, the Roland D-50

Ah yes, AKA the 'Orinoco Flow' synth.

« Reply #784 on: March 06, 2019, 10:55:45 PM »
I really enjoy those two Marillion albums 'Misplaced Chidhood' and 'Clutching at Straws'. The latter is basically Fish saying "I'm sick of this shit, and I'm packing it in", which he then went and did. So, fair fucks.

And the rest of the band were more or less saying 'and we're sick of you' by this point. By all accounts their mild-mannered guitarist Steve Rothery held a particular hatred of him for a series of cuntish episodes going back to the Misplaced Childhood sessions.

« Reply #785 on: March 06, 2019, 10:58:10 PM »
And the rest of the band were more or less saying 'and we're sick of you' by this point. By all accounts their mild-mannered guitarist Steve Rothery held a particular hatred of him for a series of cuntish episodes going back to the Misplaced Childhood sessions.
Oh aye, not taking sides on this, but it made for a good album, especially when the distance of time means you can put aside Fish's embarrassing haircut of the time.

« Reply #786 on: March 06, 2019, 11:10:22 PM »
Oh aye, not taking sides on this, but it made for a good album, especially when the distance of time means you can put aside Fish's embarrassing haircut of the time.

Absolutely. 'Clutching at Straws' is quite an angry sounding album, and all the better for it.

daf

• Is this for posh knob 'eads?
« Reply #787 on: March 07, 2019, 08:51:35 PM »
5 June 1987: Presenter: Gary Davies

(7) ERASURE – Victim Of Love
If you know what's good for you . . . Okay?
(13) U2 – I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (video)
Free Bono Hugs!!

(10) PEPSI & SHIRLIE – Goodbye Stranger
Admirable Bum-Bow
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(24) JODY WATLEY – Looking For A New Love
(23) SUZANNE VEGA – Luka
(22) JOHN FARNHAM – You’re The Voice (live clip)
(16) BEASTIE BOYS – No Sleep Till Brooklyn (Montreux clip)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(6) WET WET WET – Wishing I Was Lucky
Grinning Bogbrush
(1) WHITNEY HOUSTON – I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) (video)
Stay Tuned for Dynasty!
(18) SAMANTHA FOX – Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me Now (video / credits)
Pilot Winker

« Reply #788 on: March 07, 2019, 10:13:59 PM »
Musical bathos - Whitney to Sam Fox

But there's a good ratio of good to shit in that episode by 1987 standards

« Reply #789 on: March 07, 2019, 10:37:36 PM »
Suzanne Vega, though. My first "proper" (ie not a bunch of lads in a pub) gig was seeing her, in Northampton. Her videos got a fair bit of play on VH-1 back in those days (mid 90s) and it appealed to me much more than the Britpop trends of the time.

« Reply #790 on: March 07, 2019, 11:18:36 PM »
Suzanne Vega, though. My first "proper" (ie not a bunch of lads in a pub) gig was seeing her, in Northampton. Her videos got a fair bit of play on VH-1 back in those days (mid 90s) and it appealed to me much more than the Britpop trends of the time.

Yeah I was a fan but, in retrospect, her music would sound so much better if she'd been around any other time apart from the 80s. The production does her style no favours whatsoever.

« Reply #791 on: March 07, 2019, 11:24:04 PM »
Yeah I was a fan but, in retrospect, her music would sound so much better if she'd been around any other time apart from the 80s. The production does her style no favours whatsoever.
I do know what you mean, those 80s albums haven't aged great, but in the same way as the Leonard Cohen albums of the same period, I just let the quality of the songwriting wash over. The 90s stuff produced by (ex hubby) Mitchell Froom still holds up well.

« Reply #792 on: March 07, 2019, 11:50:29 PM »
I do know what you mean, those 80s albums haven't aged great, but in the same way as the Leonard Cohen albums of the same period, I just let the quality of the songwriting wash over. The 90s stuff produced by (ex hubby) Mitchell Froom still holds up well.

Yeah, any other decade would have been better. The rise of the weird-folk revival would have suited her style really well.

« Reply #793 on: March 07, 2019, 11:58:04 PM »
Yeah, any other decade would have been better. The rise of the weird-folk revival would have suited her style really well.
That said, her second album produced two huge hits that I imagine means she's been free to do whatever the fuck she likes since, so I doubt our quibbles of production values mean much to her!

As a random aside, seeing her at that gig, aged 18 in 1997, started a long-standing habit of fancying women with red hair who play guitar that I only just recently managed to shake off.

Norton Canes

« Reply #794 on: March 08, 2019, 10:49:38 AM »
Apologies for jumping the gun, but I thought I'd drop this entry in from last week's TV Cream mail-out as it succinctly mentions a number of pertinent points about tonight's episode...

"A bit of a significant moment in Pops history here as this is the first show since The Roxy began, although they certainly don’t seem to consider it much of a threat as this is by far the oddest edition of the year. It’s actually from election day itself, and seemingly that event’s domination of TV Centre means that Pops nipped up Wood Lane and mounted a curious edition from the TV Theatre, with a bijou set reminiscent of that strike-bound period in 1984. You’ll also note there’s no audience and a single new performance, with Simes and Pete spending the rest of the show - which is rather pointlessly live - linking repeats and videos. Strange indeed, and an additional footnote is that, breakers aside, there’s not a single British act in the line-up which must surely make it unique. Worth a look for novelty’s sakes, at least"

Norton Canes

« Reply #795 on: March 08, 2019, 07:33:57 PM »
It looks more like Whistle Test

Norton Canes

« Reply #796 on: March 08, 2019, 07:35:46 PM »
22 weeks??!! Jesus.

Norton Canes

« Reply #797 on: March 08, 2019, 07:47:11 PM »
The only Breaker ever performed in the TOTP studio..?

daf

« Reply #798 on: March 08, 2019, 09:07:57 PM »
It is Unusual

daf

« Reply #799 on: March 08, 2019, 09:15:08 PM »
11 June 1987: Presenters: Simon Bates & Peter Powell (Election Night Special!!)

(15) JOHN FARNHAM – You’re The Voice
Haggis Strangler
(17) BRUCE WILLIS – Under The Boardwalk (live clip)
(I'm) Over this Bored Wank . . . (Bored Wank)
(14) BEASTIE BOYS – No Sleep Till Brooklyn (Montreux clip)
No Fondue Till Montreux
(16) RUN DMC – It’s Tricky (Montreux clip)
"You'd look stupid doing that"
(23) TOM JONES – It’s Not Unusual
(22) WHITESNAKE – Is This Love?
(21) ABC – When Smokey Sings

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157665076746052

(2) JOHNNY LOGAN – Hold Me Now (video)
a "Number Two"
(1) WHITNEY HOUSTON – I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) (video)
Distressed Woodpecker
(18) JODY WATLEY – Looking For A New Love (video / credits)
Exercise Your Franchise
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:30:33 PM by daf »

« Reply #800 on: March 09, 2019, 03:07:51 PM »
It looks like all the good music in the chart was played the previous week so this week is the dregs. Except the #1 and the Montreaux bought in hip hop footage.

daf

« Reply #801 on: March 09, 2019, 03:33:07 PM »
the Montreaux bought in hip hop footage.

Rappers Delight - this one's like the 'Mondays vs. Roses' edition for hip hop heads!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:39:29 PM by daf »

« Reply #802 on: March 10, 2019, 07:53:11 AM »
Catching up now. Fuck off and make Did Hard, Willis.

Chriddof

• Things start to happen!
« Reply #803 on: March 10, 2019, 03:38:07 PM »
I remember Bruce Willis's version of Under The Boardwalk from the time and have always thought it sounded like crawling death. Just plods along, with Die Hard straining away to achieve something "soulful".

buzby

« Reply #804 on: March 10, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
It looks like all the good music in the chart was played the previous week so this week is the dregs. Except the #1 and the Montreaux bought in hip hop footage.
Not bought-in, co-produced - see the BBC logo on the stage backdrop. They went into a co-production agreement with SSR (the Swiss state broadcaster) and The Entertainment Network from the USA in 1985 to produce a highlights package from the festival for syndication to English-speaking territories. They sent Edmonds over in 1985, Smith in 1986 and went all in with Smith, Powell and 'Dependable' Davies in 1987.

1987 was the breakout year for Rap at the festival, as Public Enemy and Derek B played as well as Run DMC and the Beastie Boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy0fPM_iodk

daf

« Reply #805 on: March 14, 2019, 09:22:20 PM »
18 June 1987: Presenters: Janice Long & Simon Mayo (The Milk Cream Seller Special!!)

(8) SAMANTHA FOX – Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me Now
Double-Breasted Navy Lark
(16) WHITESNAKE – Is This Love? (video)
Pink Sausage
(20) TOM JONES – It’s Not Unusual
Ol' Ronseal Face
(14) ABC – When Smokey Sings
Tunes of a Clone
(25) CHRIS REA – Let’s Dance
(24) JANET JACKSON – Pleasure Principle
(21) CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT – Misfit
Hit number three . . . Hat number one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157665079011602

(1) THE FIRM – Star Trekkin’ (video)
Beam me up Spuddy!
(26) BROKEN ENGLISH – Comin’ On Strong (video / credits)
Mick Jagger's Scrapheap Challenge

« Reply #806 on: March 15, 2019, 09:25:35 AM »
This might be the most milquetoast episode yet.

« Reply #807 on: March 15, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
Holding out for Spagna and New Order and Def Leppard on the same episode. I know it's coming soon.

Norton Canes

« Reply #808 on: March 15, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »
This might be the most milquetoast episode yet

Yeah, the only thing that made it worth watching was that grimly fascinating Broken English video.

Don't know if this could be a regular feature while we're in the period of The Roxy's brief existence, but some acts of course eschewed a Pops performance for an appearance on ITV's upstart rival. Here's the Brokes in full effect.

« Reply #809 on: March 15, 2019, 08:00:35 PM »
This is the full Roxy list AFAIK. The line-ups seem to have one left-field act per episode that you wouldn't often see on TOTP but the rest is total dross.

http://drunkennessofthingsbeingvarious.blogspot.com/2017/08/the-roxy-tyne-tees-itv-1987-88.html