Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:38:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Janie Jones on April 06, 2019, 11:43:26 AM
Apologies for my pedantry but Better Midlands quoted edited lyrics with some of the rapier lines missing. Here's the correct version of the song 'A little boogie woogie,' written by Gary Glitter for Shakin Stevens.  I remember the song was considered sleazy and unacceptable at the time, particularly as Shaky was marketed to appeal to pre-teen girls, with matinee concerts in child-friendly venues. Remember, this is several years after Radio One's Mike Read 'banned' Frankie's Relax for saying 'when you want to come...' but the BBC was happily playing this song about locking someone in and overcoming their reluctance to have sex:
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/shakinstevens/alittleboogiewoogie.html

You're quite right JJ, the Shaky version has two extra verses that aren't in the Gary Glitter OG

So what you've got to do
Is keep our little secret
Do what I tell you to
And leave the rest to me
I'm guaranteeing you
When I get in this kind of mood
I've got a little something I can introduce to you

All right tonight's the night
I can't wait any longer
I'm turning out the light and locking up that door
You might put up a fight
But you'll be crying out for more
When you'll be getting what you really came here looking for

gilbertharding

Quote from: non capisco on April 03, 2019, 11:16:08 PM
To be honest I was too transfixed by the disparity between Shaky and his musclemen's dancing skills and energy levels to pay attention to the unsavoury verse lyrics. It's mainly been the chorus that has been the cause of my torment all week.

I remember the craze for oiled hunky backing dancers but had no idea it wasn't Bananarama hadn't started it. Will the next appearance by Shaking Stephen's have him wearing his bra as outerwear (another 1987 craze)? Probably not, eh.

But to say there was a disparity in skill and energy between the chorus line and Shaking is... well, true... but that's not to say he didn't have skills OR energy. He barely stopped, and I'd hate to see the state of his knees and ankles now.

Bobtoo

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 08, 2019, 05:47:36 PM
I remember the craze for oiled hunky backing dancers but had no idea it wasn't Bananarama hadn't started it.

Not much oil, but this is long before Bananarama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wz_9dVJ-Ew

Bobby Treetops

Was the Jacko record cut out of the recent episode I wonder? Straight in at number 5 and doesn't get played, bit weird that.

daf

6 August 1987: Presenter: Gary Davies

(7) NEW ORDER – True Faith
Swing Low, Sweet Bass Guitar
(23) LINDA RONSTADT & JAMES INGRAM – Somewhere Out There (video)
The Dream Team : together at last!
(22) SINITTA – Toy Boy
Eye-popping Fun-bundle

(29) SAMANTHA FOX – I Surrender (To The Spirit Of The Night) (video)
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry!
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(31) WET WET WET – Sweet Little Mystery
(28) MOTLEY CRUE – Girls Girls Girls
(16) DEF LEPPARD – Animal
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(8) SPAGNA – Call Me
Dandelion & Birdseye
(1) LOS LOBOS – La Bamba (video)
The Lou Diamond Phillips Story
(17) STOCK, AITKEN & WATERMAN – Roadblock (video / credits)
Top Gear : The Next Generation

daf

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on April 11, 2019, 09:47:11 PM
Was the Jacko record cut out of the recent episode I wonder?

Not yet, but stay tuned for tomorrow's edition . . .

Just want to say, I love this thread!  Don't often have a lot to add, but I love daf's synopses, and buzby's details and analysis. This is the era of TOTP I remember most vividly, being around 11 at the time, so it's great to relive some of these old songs.  And yet I still don't know who the hell Judy Boucher is.

Deleting Jacko would be silly. None of his victims are likely to be tuning in and you can still hear his music in public a fair amount. It would be caving to the tabloids who would exploit it on purely opportunistic grounds. We'd also by 1991 be missing at least one awesome video (Black Or White).

However, I think Def Leppard might be cut out due to dodgy treatment of animals in the video, which is a more legitimate reason to censor (the single had climbed from 34 to 16). I'm also not sure how deleting two songs from an episode (has that happened before in a full-length repeat?) affects the time slot. Do they just fill the gap with trailers?

We are close to some more Mike Smith episodes (September 1987)

gilbertharding

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on April 11, 2019, 09:47:11 PM
Was the Jacko record cut out of the recent episode I wonder? Straight in at number 5 and doesn't get played, bit weird that.

Oh dear (if it has). I'm thinking of the repeat they'll be showing in 2021 (read 1991) when half the show was cleared so they could play the whole video for Black or White. I remember this being a really big deal at the time... #cancelled

Gulftastic

Iirc, Jacko didn't make a video for the single. Perhaps be was too busy making the shit one for 'Bad, and this was some kind of contractual release., just to get a single out there.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 12, 2019, 11:37:49 AM
We are close to some more Mike Smith episodes (September 1987)

A last gasp of Smith, thankfully.

September 3, 1987 - Mike Smith
September 17, 1987 - Mike Smith & Gary Davies
September 24, 1987 - Mike Smith & Gary Davies
October 1, 1987 - Gary Davies & Mike Smith
October 8, 1987 - Mike Smith & Gary Davies
November 5, 1987 - Janice Long & Mike Smith
December 10, 1987 - Mike Smith
December 25, 1987 - Mike Smith & Gary Davies

January 28, 1988 - Mike Smith & Gary Davies
February 4, 1988 - Mike Smith
March 10, 1988 - Steve Wright & Mike Smith
March 31, 1988 - Mike Smith & Nicky Campbell

A bad run from September '87 through to early October but after that the worst is over.

Norton Canes

'Mike Smith'. How weird does that name look and sound when you read it over and over?

'Mike Smith'. 'Mike Smith'. 'Mike Smith'.

Norton Canes

Ooh, I didn't realise Caron Keating did two editions. Get in.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 12, 2019, 02:38:20 PM
Ooh, I didn't realise Caron Keating did two editions. Get in.

Her pronunciation of Petula Clark's "Downtown '88" attained legendary status at my school.
It's still one of the two phrases I'll use whenever I attempt a Northern Irish accent.

"Motorcycle helmet" is the other one.

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Loving this H&C video. Amazing what they could do with CGI in those days.

daf

13 August 1987: Presenters: Simon Bates & Peter Powell

(9) DEF LEPPARD – Animal
Don't mention the arm!
(26) MÖTLEY CRÜE – Girls Girls Girls (video)
CORR!! - A Bare Lady!!

(14) RICK ASTLEY – Never Gonna Give You Up
Straight outta Newton-le-Willows
(12) WET WET WET – Sweet Little Mystery
Lad Grinning Our Soul 
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(34) WAX – Bridge To Your Heart
(33) KIM WILDE – Say You Really Want Me
(31) SHERRICK – Just Call
(30) THE JESUS & MARY CHAIN – Happy When It Rains
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(24) PSEUDO ECHO – Funky Town
The Australians are Coming (. . . to cover an old disco record)
- (1) (MICHAEL JACKSON with SIEDAH GARRETT - I Just Can't Stop Loving You) - (no video)
DENIED!!
(6) HUE & CRY – Labour Of Love (video / credits)
Plastered again

The Culture Bunker

Have to say, I quite like a few of those songs: Def Leppard, Wax, Hue and Cry, Jesus and Mary Chain and even Wet Wet Wet (this is the song they got sued over by both John Martyn and van Morrison, which is impressive in it's own way) would all pass as good pop songs to my ears.

buzby

Quote from: daf on April 11, 2019, 10:05:59 PM
6 August 1987: Presenter: Gary Davies

(7) NEW ORDER – True Faith
The promotional single for the Substance 12" singles compilation  - the myth is that Tony Wilson wanted a compilation of the band's singles for the CD player in his new Jaguar XJS, but the reality was that Factory was in financial trouble, part of which was the amount of money that was owed to the band from royalties that had been loaned to Factory to keep things like the Hacienda running (and keeping Tony in new Jags and business-class travel). He came up with the idea of releasing a compilation of the 12" singles, with a big marketing push, and to change the royalty split from 50/50 to 25/75 in the label's favour so they would have the money to pay off the debt to the band (with the band's own money - typical Factory logic)

After working with John Robie (urgh) Bernard had finally learned about what key suited his voice, and noted that Confusion and Temptation weren't in his natural key, so they decided to re-record those tracks for the compilation to how they were currently played live (these were recorded at Yellow Two, over the road from Strawberry Studios in Stockport). However, their US manager wanted them to try and write a 'pop' hit that would help promote the album and break them in the US, and with their tight release schedule and relationships getting fractious in the band it was decided to try another external producer. Having heard his work on the PSBs' albums, it was decided to ask Stephen Hague.

The band were booked in for 10 dsys at Advison Studios in London to write the new single and a B-side.. The band had some very early ideas for both tracks (basically some programmed drums and basslines and some chord changes). Hague, noting the tight deadline decided that rather than let the band try and jam the songs into shape he needed to take control and was largely responsible for putting the tracks together, for which he got a writing credit. This was basically a repeat of what happened when they collaborated under a deadline with Arthur Baker for Confusion. It did end up being their biggest hit to date, but probably has the least input from the band of any of their tracks to that point.

Regarding their performance here, they were still persisting with playing fully live at this point and he sound suffers as a result due to TOTP's lack of experience at FOH mixing for a live band. Barney's vocals are too low in the mix (singing with his eyes closed - a 'tell' when he has to sing without getting pissed first, as is singing the right lyrics), and the Yamaha RX5 wood block sound is clattering away far too high in the mix (the drums on the record were all programmed by Hague using samples on his E-MU SP12, with Steve only playing some live cymbals). The worst part is Hook's bass in the bridge solo - he's got the rate on his Clone Theory turned up so far it sounds like a mewling cat. Sound-wise, the performance from The Roxy is a lot better (note Barney's ironic t-shirt), presumably due to the live sound experience of the ex-Tube staff.

Regarding the gear, Gillian has the main and standby Emulator IIs (no doubt the infamous iron bar is lurking somewhere) and in the rack behind her are two Akai S900 samplers and a Yamaha TX816 (a large rack module that contains the functionality of 8 DX7s in slide-in modules, which is responsible for the bass sound) with their Yamaha QX1 sequencer sat on the top. In the rack behind Barney is another S900, a Simmons SDS1000 'brain' and a large stereo amp, so that is presumably Steve's drum rack (he's using a first generation Roland PAD-8 Octapad). Hooky has got his trademark custom-made Eccleshall EB2 clone (though he used his usual Yamaha BB1200 in the studio).

As mentioned by Davies, that is Thierry Fournier, Philippe Découflé's friend and collaborator (who only has one leg) reprising his role from the video. Contraty to the New Order TOTP myth, the record climbed the chart the week after this performance.

Sorry it's all about one track for this week, but the I've either covered the others previously or I've nothing to say about them (e.g. Ronstadt and Ingram, Sinitta). It's not often I get to go in-depth about New Order either.

I think Substance was a good move at that point, as New Order had a lot of Orphaned singles that didn't feature on any albums.

The Culture Bunker

I bet Buzby can answer an argument I had with as girl 17 years ago about who says "fuckin' Housemartins" at the end of the Substance version of 'Confusion'. I always reckoned Barney, she said Hooky. My opinion was based on hearing a rumour Barney was pissed off at Norman Cook lifting his fashion of wearing hoodies around that time, or something like that.

Not that the answer means anything, as I haven't spoken to said girl for about 15 years, but all the same...

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 12, 2019, 11:18:47 PM
I bet Buzby can answer an argument I had with as girl 17 years ago about who says "fuckin' Housemartins" at the end of the Substance version of 'Confusion'. I always reckoned Barney, she said Hooky. My opinion was based on hearing a rumour Barney was pissed off at Norman Cook lifting his fashion of wearing hoodies around that time, or something like that.

Not that the answer means anything, as I haven't spoken to said girl for about 15 years, but all the same...
It's almost certainly Barney;s voice - Hooky's voice is a bit deeper. I'm pretty sure the last 'why can't you see?' is Steve.

December 3rd is the only Michael Jackson appearance in the remainder of 1987 that isn't a Mike Smith episode so that will be the censorship test case, I would guess.

Eight Michael Jackson appearances in 1988, none of which are Mike Smith episodes.

Dr Syntax Head

I would have completely ignored the Mary chain when this first aired not knowing the impact they would have on me in later life. Back then i was all over the hue and cry and pseudo echo songs. I still like them.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on April 12, 2019, 11:13:27 PM
I think Substance was a good move at that point, as New Order had a lot of Orphaned singles that didn't feature on any albums.

And it remains the NO album I play the most by some margin.
Got a copy in my car right now in fact.

buzby

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on April 12, 2019, 11:13:27 PM
It was, but the main driver behind it was to keep Factory afloat - New Order had put out 3 albums in 4 years over 1983-86, and  as they were the only band on the label who actually made any profit Factory had become reliant on the income from their one album a year to keep going. 1987 was planned out to have the band doing their biggest touring schedule to date (from which Factory wasn't going to make anything directly), so with no time for them to record a new album putting out a a compilation was the logical answer, and the tour could be used to promote the album too.

It was this cycle that eventually caused the band to cease operations after Technique, as Bernard in particular had become fed up of becoming a Factory ''production line' worker but not seeing the money they were due from it. It ultimately came to a head over the recording to Republic, but that can wait for Regret.

Do they Happy Mondays appear on TOTP's, I'm eager to hear the Buzby persepective on their part in Factorys downfall.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on April 13, 2019, 10:26:32 AM
Do they Happy Mondays appear on TOTP's,

I think the famous Madchester episode from '89 was their debut, but there were subsequent appearances too.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 12, 2019, 11:18:47 PM

I always loved the New Order "Can you leave the lights alone, please? Stop flashing your fuckin' lights!" at the beginning of FSOL's ISDN. So good.

daf

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on April 13, 2019, 10:26:32 AM
Do they Happy Mondays appear on TOTP's

Following 'Hallelujah' in 1989 - (as mentioned by Dr Greggles) - they performed . . .

Step On : 5 April 1990
Kinky Afro : 18 October 1990
Loose Fit : 14 March 1991
Stinkin' Thinkin' : 17 September 1992
The Boys Are Back In Town : 21 May 1999
Playground Superstar : 2 October 2005

- - - - - - - -
(Never heard of that one from 2005, but I seem to remember the 1999 Thin Lizzy cover was a bit of a shambles)