Author Topic: Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.  (Read 48957 times)

Re: Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.
« Reply #960 on: April 13, 2019, 02:42:11 PM »
Do they Happy Mondays appear on TOTP's, I'm eager to hear the Buzby persepective on their part in Factorys downfall.

I'd have thought the Mondays kept Factory afloat a couple of years longer than would have happened otherwise.

« Reply #961 on: April 13, 2019, 09:32:29 PM »
I'd have thought the Mondays kept Factory afloat a couple of years longer than would have happened otherwise.
The Electronic album too, though perhaps negated by the lack of success of Revenge.

« Reply #962 on: April 14, 2019, 02:48:22 PM »
So was Micky Jackson cut in that last episode, or was there nothing to show? No video and I don't imagine him popping into the TOTP studio for a live performance. Or did they show some other live footage?

Dr Syntax Head

• Empty alcohol
« Reply #963 on: April 14, 2019, 02:51:21 PM »
So was Micky Jackson cut in that last episode, or was there nothing to show? No video and I don't imagine him popping into the TOTP studio for a live performance. Or did they show some other live footage?

No video and the Jackson was out of country

daf

• Rudolf Rocker & die Schocker
« Reply #964 on: April 14, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »
They should have just played it over the credits with audience snogging dancing and a big out of date mugshot of him on the Toppotron™ *

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (last seen with 'Jocky Wilson'?)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:10:29 PM by daf »

Dr Syntax Head

• Empty alcohol
« Reply #965 on: April 14, 2019, 03:12:20 PM »
They should have just played it over the credits with audience snogging dancing and a big out of date mugshot of him on the Toppotron™ *

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (last seen with 'Jocky Wilson'?)

Hahaaaa that's ace

Johnboy

• rub a dub dub
« Reply #966 on: April 15, 2019, 11:54:39 AM »
Marti Pellow's like a chirpy inane Morrissey

New Order - True Faith
this was a welcome return after over 3 years

Hooky was well out of tune or else the synths were - this is the start of him getting marginalised, he barely scrapes a few lines at the end of the b-side 1963

Barney had his eyes shut throughout, I saw Sinead O'Connor do this for her entire 5 song set at a charity do a few years back - it's not on

Barney's 31 here, he still looks sixteen

True Faith and 1963 were great though, the lyrics of both surely, subconsciously at least, influenced by Ian Curtis' long dark night

non capisco

• My valve is screaming for appeasement.
« Reply #967 on: April 15, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »

The sight of him marching to and fro doing what looked like some kind of sailor's hornpipe type dance coupled with his permanent divvy grin is quite something.

buzby

« Reply #968 on: April 15, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »

New Order - True Faith
this was a welcome return after over 3 years

Hooky was well out of tune or else the synths were - this is the start of him getting marginalised, he barely scrapes a few lines at the end of the b-side 1963
Digital synths by this time so it's not them out of tune. Hook was marginalised on this song due to the way it was composed. Their normal jamming method would leave space for Hook to improvise a bass riff in the composition (it was normally one of the last things to go down prior to the vocals). Hague took charge in putting the song together from fragments without any jamming in their limited time in the studio, hence no space left for Hook's bass other than in the bridge and coda.
Barney had his eyes shut throughout, I saw Sinead O'Connor do this for her entire 5 song set at a charity do a few years back - it's not on
He does this when he has to sing live without being able to get shitfaced beforehand. Presumably not being able to see the audience or cameras helps alleviate his stagefright.
True Faith and 1963 were great though, the lyrics of both surely, subconsciously at least, influenced by Ian Curtis' long dark night
Bernard is on record as stating True Faith is about drug addiction. The original lyrics at the start of the second verse were:
When I was a very small boy
Very small boys talked to me
Now that we've grown up together
They're all taking drugs with me
He persuaded to change them during recording to make it more commercial, but used to sing the original ones for live performances.

As related in one of the half-serious handwritten notes reproduced in the New Order Songbook, 1963 is about his bizarre JFK-related theory about the death of Marilyn Monroe:
Quote from: Bernard Sumner
“1963” is the year that J.F.K. was S.H.O.T.. and my theory is that he actually arranged for the gun man, “Lee Harvey Oswald” to shoot his wife, Mrs. K. so that J.F. could do one with M. Monroe who committed suicide then she found out “Oswald” had hit the wrong target. Oswald was later shot by his boss (don’t know his name) for doing such a bad job and causing his hit-man business to go bust.

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #969 on: April 15, 2019, 03:22:06 PM »
The sight of him marching to and fro doing what looked like some kind of sailor's hornpipe type dance coupled with his permanent divvy grin is quite something.

Was he on The Horse at this point, or did that come later?

daf

« Reply #970 on: April 15, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
Quote from:  buzby
When I was a very small boy
Very small boys talked to me
Now that we've grown up together
They're all taking drugs with me
He persuaded to change them during recording to make it more commercial, but used to sing the original ones for live performances.

Also, rhyming 'me' with 'me' is a bit of a stinker - the sort of anti-climactic stunt Edward Lear used to pull all the time :

Quote from: Edward Lear
There was an old man of Hong Kong,
Who never did anything wrong;
He lay on his back,
With his head in a sack,
That innocuous old man of Hong Kong.

daf re-write :
There was an old man of Hong Kong,
Who never did anything wrong;
Till he laid on his back,
With his head in a sack,
And a webcam aimed at his dong.

Norton Canes

• The leper heart will see you for what you are
« Reply #971 on: April 15, 2019, 03:38:33 PM »
Ha, neither versions scan!

daf

« Reply #972 on: April 15, 2019, 04:30:41 PM »
When I was a man of Hong Kong,
Men of Hong Kong talked to me,
Now a webcam's aimed at my dong,
They're all having mugs of tea

« Reply #973 on: April 15, 2019, 04:34:14 PM »
Mr Sumner's (probably drug induced) theory does fall down a tad when considering that young Norma Jean rolled a seven in 1962.

daf

« Reply #974 on: April 19, 2019, 09:10:10 PM »
20 August 1987: Presenters: Janice Long & Steve Wright

(20) WAX – Bridge To Your Heart
Building a shelf for your sax

(18) FIVE STAR – Whenever You’re Ready
Another whiskery old workout
(23) SHERRICK – Just Call
Look out Vandross, there's a new Sherrick in town
(21) BON JOVI – Never Say Goodbye
"Oi Jovi, I know what'll sound good on this ballad - a sluggish Pete Best Atom Beat!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(19) PRINCE & SHEENA EASTON – U Got The Look
(13) THE SMITHS – Girlfriend In A Coma
(10) PET SHOP BOYS & DUSTY SPRINGFIELD – What Have I Done To Deserve This?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(4) SINITTA – Toy Boy
Alright Nureyev, put the plums away!
- (1) MICHAEL JACKSON with SIEDAH GARRETT - I Just Can't Stop Loving You - (video)
Relax! don't show it, when you top the charts
(2) SPAGNA – Call Me (+ scrolling credits - there's posh!!)
Mind the bonce!

« Reply #975 on: April 19, 2019, 09:27:05 PM »
PET SHOP BOYS & DUSTY SPRINGFIELD – What Have I Done To Deserve This?

My favourite PSB song right there.

« Reply #976 on: April 19, 2019, 09:40:28 PM »
When I was a man of Hong Kong,
Men of Hong Kong talked to me,
Now a webcam's aimed at my dong,
They're all having mugs of tea
David Kuo?

« Reply #977 on: April 19, 2019, 11:06:52 PM »
Everytime I hear that Wax song, I'm transported back to Butlins in Ayr with a warm, fuzzy nostalgia, so it's always OK by me. Just surprised it didn't crack the top ten for what seems an obvious pop hit... perhaps the "elder men" status of the band.

« Reply #978 on: April 20, 2019, 12:12:40 AM »
So is Jacko now cancelled from all the rest of the repeat run?

buzby

« Reply #979 on: April 20, 2019, 11:52:29 AM »
13 August 1987: Presenters: Simon Bates & Peter Powell

(9) DEF LEPPARD – Animal
(26) MÖTLEY CRÜE – Girls Girls Girls (video)
Eurgh, a cock rock double bill - revolting. It just brings to mind the cast of blerts that appeared in The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years and how much I wished excruciating deaths on the lot of them.
(14) RICK ASTLEY – Never Gonna Give You Up
Newton-le-Willows finest purveyor of sheds makes his debut, with his dad dancing and Top Man suit. He really was the pop star that girls could take home to meet their mum.
(12) WET WET WET – Sweet Little Mystery
Whereas here we have this preening, highland-jigging self-satisfied 'I love me - who do you love?' smug bellend. If you took him home to meet your mum he'd probably end up shagging her.
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(34) WAX – Bridge To Your Heart
i'll cover the song in the next episode, but the video deserves it's own comment. Directed by Storm Thorgerson (though a lot of people, including IMDB., have it credited to Godley & Creme - a contemporary issue of Billboard states it was directed by Thorgerson, who also directed the album and single artwork), it uses animation to describe the lyrics, rather too literally at times.

It was obviously influenced by Peter Gabrel's recent videos, and possibly a desire on the two seventies pop stars behind the track to hide their identities. The section with the wolf and female bodybuilder is very similar in style to Roger Chiasson's work on Queen's A Kind Of Magic (and a year later on Who Framed Roger Rabbit?), but it is uncredited as far as I can find. Like Gabriel's videos, there  were obviously a few different people/teams who  worked on it though
[
(30) THE JESUS & MARY CHAIN – Happy When It Rains
JAMC trapped in the Sony PVM monitor dimension. I'm sure Douglas actually has 4 strings on his bass there too!
(24) PSEUDO ECHO – Funky Town
Totally pointless and shite cover of Funky Town. The drummer's over-enthusiasm on a track that's never been anywhere near a real set of drums and the cheapo Yamaha SHS-10 consumer-grade keytar seals the deal.

Bates was right about a forthcoming Australian invasion, but it wasn't going to be shite like this.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 12:33:25 PM by buzby »

« Reply #980 on: April 20, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »
Happy When it Rains is one of my favorite JAMC tracks and I love the basic video as well.

Stands the time much better than later stuff like Head On, which just looks like a quantel promo.

daf

« Reply #981 on: April 20, 2019, 12:18:37 PM »
So is Jacko now cancelled from all the rest of the repeat run?

Nobody knows yet - these two skipped number ones were actually cut at the time - as they didn't provide TOTP with a video.

I can only guess that this was meant to be a low-key 'buzz-builder' for the new album - and the record company was only willing to shell out for a certain number of videos ("it'll only bumble politely into the bottom 30 - no point, mate!")

Out first proper test will be “The Way You Make Me Feel” on the 3 December 1987 show (Gary Davies & Janice Long).

(The next single - 'Bad' - won't be on BBC4, as it was only shown on a couple of BANNED Mike Smith editions)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:42:09 PM by daf »

Norton Canes

• The leper heart will see you for what you are
« Reply #982 on: April 20, 2019, 12:43:20 PM »
That Five Star song was like mist. No substance, nothing to it whatsoever.

« Reply #983 on: April 20, 2019, 01:37:24 PM »
Rick Astley really marks when SAW got 'making hits' down to a proper formula doesn't it? It makes everything that we think's great about things like Mel and Kim and You Spin Me Round almost seem unintentional side effects.

« Reply #984 on: April 20, 2019, 08:36:12 PM »
SAW now enter their  conveyor belt phase, where pretty much any of their songs could be sung by any of their acts.

This lasted till their brilliant 4 track burst for a newly sexed up Kylie with 'Step Back In Time', 'Better The Devil You Know ', 'What Do I Have To Do?' and 'Shocked,

daf

« Reply #985 on: April 20, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »
'What Do I Have To Do?'

That's the one that broke through for me - that "bwwwoooooeeeeeeiiiii" bit & the chorus walloped my lid sideways.

buzby

« Reply #986 on: April 20, 2019, 09:14:12 PM »
Rick Astley really marks when SAW got 'making hits' down to a proper formula doesn't it? It makes everything that we think's great about things like Mel and Kim and You Spin Me Round almost seem unintentional side effects.
Yes, they have got the hang of the pitch correction function of the Infernal Machine now, to the point where if you pitched down I Should Be So Lucky it sounded like Rick Astley singing, which Rick still gets asked about.

I think with Mel & Kim, Dead Or Alive and even Bananarama's Venus it was down to the artists having at least some input into the writing process (even with Mel & Kim there was a massive drop-off in quality after the first couple of singles). From this point on their artists are just getting told 'You're singing this, give it a couple of run-throughs and we'll sort the rest out'.

« Reply #987 on: April 21, 2019, 11:43:38 PM »
Totally pointless and shite cover of Funky Town. The drummer's over-enthusiasm on a track that's never been anywhere near a real set of drums and the cheapo Yamaha SHS-10 consumer-grade keytar seals the deal.

I'm incredibly sorry to have to do this Buzby, but that's an RK100S.

non capisco

• My valve is screaming for appeasement.
« Reply #988 on: April 22, 2019, 12:06:28 AM »
That's the one that broke through for me - that "bwwwoooooeeeeeeiiiii" bit & the chorus walloped my lid sideways.

Yeah, to be fair that one is a banger. S/A/W definitely had a knack with a hook, the problem is from around this time and over the next few years the production on their stuff was so cheap and tinny. I think 'I Heard A Rumour' is a pretty decent, faintly melancholic pop song but those bilious keyboard horns slathered over the whole thing turn it into a queasy nightmare, like a memory of vomiting tartrazine over the side of a fairground waltzer. And you've got stuff like 'Love In The Third Degree' to come with the same synthesised brass section really let off the leash and filling every available space in the intro with its maddening parp attack.

« Reply #989 on: April 22, 2019, 12:25:51 AM »
SAW always sounded a bit tinny and plastic, even at their best that was still there.