Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:28:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Completely Unnecessary Sequels

Started by St_Eddie, August 27, 2018, 12:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipsink

I like to think of the Last Boy Scout as the sequel to Die Hard.

St_Eddie

Quote from: lipsink on August 27, 2018, 11:07:13 PM
I like to think of the Last Boy Scout as the sequel to Die Hard.

Whereas I like to think of Die Hard as the prequel to The Last Boy Scout.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I like to think of " Confessions Of A Window Cleaner " as a prequel to " Die Hard ". A  bit silly of me, really, I suppose.

Wet Blanket

Sicario 2 did the same as Hannibal and made an intriguing supporting character in the previous edition the main focus, but with added superhero strength and a less enigmatic motivation, and it was bollocks.

Clownbaby

The Hills Have Eyes 2

Anchorman 2

Any Terminator after the 2nd one obvs

greenman

Not sure the Matrix sequels were pointless, they were just disappointing.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Wet Blanket on August 28, 2018, 12:38:43 PM
Sicario 2 did the same as Hannibal and made an intriguing supporting character in the previous edition the main focus, but with added superhero strength and a less enigmatic motivation, and it was bollocks.

Sicario 2 isn't even a full sequel. It's like the film runs out before the story gets to the halfway point

Golden E. Pump

Son of the Mask.
Ace Ventura Jr
Zoolander 2

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on August 28, 2018, 02:27:05 PM
Son of the Mask.

I actually think The Mask is one of the few star vehicles where the concept opens itself up to carry on with a different lead character quite naturally, indeed I think the comics did pass the mask on to a different lead character after a while. A relative world of possibilities, which makes their decision to make a riff on Baby Geniuses all the more baffling.

Epic Bisto

There are a number of problems with The Godfather: Part III. As somebody else pointed out it does seem longer than the other two, but there's also the fact the Winona Ryder had to drop out just before filming (hence Coppola's daughter being shoved in instead) and regardless of what anyone thinks of her acting in general she would've been far better. There's also the fact of Joe Spinnell dying prior to pre-production, robbing us of a Willie Cicci subplot which would've been perfect and may have improved the first half of the film considerably. Instead we were saddled with Shakin' Cicci played by Joe Mantegna in all his anonymous glory. Sure it would still look like a Coppola paycheque with lovely Gordon Willis cinematography, but it would've been more memorable.

Sofia aside, the casting is all over the place. Personally, Andy (Shakin' Sonny) Garcia has to be the worst actor in the film. He's trying to out-Pacino Pacino all through the film but just ends up looking by toddler having a tantrum. Also, I've never liked George Hamilton - Coppola could have flogged a few more bottles of wine to pay Robert Duvall's fee to come back. Hell, Bob Mortimer as Tony Barron as Tom Hagen would've been far better: "YOU A BASTARD PIRROCK CORREONE!" And don't get me started on the Connie-as-black-widow thing.

On the plus side, it was lovely to see the good Silician bodyguard from the first film back and given something substantial to do. Also, Eli Wallach got some cash and an unintentionally funny death scene. And let us not forget that, according to Total Film, if Mario Puzo didn't pop his clogs around the start of the 21st century we would've ended up with a 4th Godfather film, starring Leonardo DiCaprio (still in his pretty boy phase). Ugh.

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 27, 2018, 06:44:47 PMThe one thing I will give The Godfather: Part III credit for is the very last scene, with Michael dying alone.  To me, that seemed like a much more appropriate ending for the saga than the ending of Part II, with Michael having Fredo killed.  So in that respect, I don't think that it's an unnecessary sequel.  I just think that it should have been better.

Agreed. That was a perfectly bleak wrap-up to the series.

Epic Bisto

I'll also add Return Of The Bogey Man/Boogeyman II to the list. Ulli Lommel took all of the good intent he had with The Bogey Man and Tenderness Of The Wolves and shat this one out of his arse. Instead of a spooky and dreamlike film, you get 75% of that film recycled and 25% of Lommel in a leather jacket mumbling none-too-subtle digs at Hollywood. It's enough to make you cry, but that's not the end of it. He did the same thing again - twice - with Boogeyman 3 and the director's cut (haha) of Return.

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on August 28, 2018, 05:08:10 PM
A relative world of possibilities, which makes their decision to make a riff on Baby Geniuses all the more baffling.

Baby Geniuses 2 was Bob Clark's Blackstar moment[/SARCASM]

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 28, 2018, 12:42:50 PM

Anchorman 2

I dont think a sequel was unnecessary,  the first film was about local news, doing something about the advent of 24 hour news was a logical direction for the story to go in. It just wasnt very good.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. No need, mate. No need.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

How could I forget this most recent example... Bad Santa 2!  It really puts it into perspective just how good a director Terry Zwigoff was (last I heard, he got blacklisted).

magval

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: magval on August 29, 2018, 06:56:32 AM
Aye, he's right mate. Dog flashback. Film justified.

Ohhhhh nononononono - that was a criticism.  I'm with Clownbaby - it's a terrible film and its existence is utterly pointless.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

St_Eddie

Quote from: Epic Bisto on August 28, 2018, 06:46:58 PM
There are a number of problems with The Godfather: Part III. As somebody else pointed out it does seem longer than the other two, but there's also the fact the Winona Ryder had to drop out just before filming (hence Coppola's daughter being shoved in instead) and regardless of what anyone thinks of her acting in general she would've been far better. There's also the fact of Joe Spinnell dying prior to pre-production, robbing us of a Willie Cicci subplot which would've been perfect and may have improved the first half of the film considerably. Instead we were saddled with Shakin' Cicci played by Joe Mantegna in all his anonymous glory. Sure it would still look like a Coppola paycheque with lovely Gordon Willis cinematography, but it would've been more memorable.

Sofia aside, the casting is all over the place. Personally, Andy (Shakin' Sonny) Garcia has to be the worst actor in the film. He's trying to out-Pacino Pacino all through the film but just ends up looking by toddler having a tantrum. Also, I've never liked George Hamilton - Coppola could have flogged a few more bottles of wine to pay Robert Duvall's fee to come back. Hell, Bob Mortimer as Tony Barron as Tom Hagen would've been far better: "YOU A BASTARD PIRROCK CORREONE!" And don't get me started on the Connie-as-black-widow thing.

On the plus side, it was lovely to see the good Silician bodyguard from the first film back and given something substantial to do. Also, Eli Wallach got some cash and an unintentionally funny death scene. And let us not forget that, according to Total Film, if Mario Puzo didn't pop his clogs around the start of the 21st century we would've ended up with a 4th Godfather film, starring Leonardo DiCaprio (still in his pretty boy phase). Ugh.

I don't have much to say, other than to tell you that I enjoyed reading this.  Should you ever start a film blog, I would surely subscribe.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 28, 2018, 06:59:35 PM
I dont think a sequel was unnecessary,  the first film was about local news, doing something about the advent of 24 hour news was a logical direction for the story to go in. It just wasnt very good.

The following isn't necessarily directed at the nomination in question but there's been a few mentions of terrible sequels, that don't necessarily fall under the 'unnecessary' banner.  Let's try to keep things germane to the topic, folks.

How many times can one say the word 'necessarily' and deviations upon?  Necessarily.  Necessary.  Unnecessarily.  Loch Necessary.

Okay, I'm done now.

...but not necessarily.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 28, 2018, 07:36:24 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre. No need, mate. No need.

/thread.

madhair60

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is fucking awesome tho.

Clownbaby

Well I picked Anchorman 2 because I didn't think it was necessary at all to revisit the characters after so many years so just cause some people disagree doesn't mean I'm off topic eh

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 30, 2018, 10:16:42 AM
Well I picked Anchorman 2 because I didn't think it was nectar at all to revisit the characters after so many years so just cause some people disagree doesn't mean I'm off topic eh

Like Alpha Papa, there was a great media satire struggling to get out of Anchorman 2, but the determination to cram in improv and rehashed jokes from the first film got the better of it.

TCM2 is unwatchable awful, and I question the sanity of anyone who rates it.

Has Dominion: A Prequel to The Exorcist been mentioned yet?

Clownbaby

Fucking autocorrect changing "necessary" to "nectar". I bet everyone on this fuckin forum thinks I've got a bit of a weird turn of phrase cause my phone always mangles what I write and I never notice til later

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 30, 2018, 11:33:51 AM
Ducking autocorrect clanging "nectar" to "nectar". I beg anyone one this fuckin form thing I've got a bid off an wired town off praise cars my bone all ways mingles what I wrote and I ever lettuce pill Christian Slater
Utter gibberish as usual

Clownbaby

Genuinely thought that was what my phone had done for a sec

mrpupkin

Dumb & Dumber 2: Why Have We Done This

Phil_A

American Psycho 2, with Mila Kunis "carrying on the legacy of Bateman" by murdering all her student rivals so she can get a job with William Shatner. Directed by Morgan "No, not that one" Freeman.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 30, 2018, 11:24:26 AM
TCM2 is unwatchable awful, and I question the sanity of anyone who rates it.

Likewise. I only watched it earlier this year due to the praise it received on here and thought it was a bunch of gaudy, annoying and pointless bollocks.