Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Completely Unnecessary Sequels

Started by St_Eddie, August 27, 2018, 12:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatchamandave

There are so many other problems with Godfather III that also sink the film.

Consider that to non-Catholic viewers there is no reason why Mary and Vincent can't be lovers. Sure, it's a bit off that they are cousins, but so what ? The royal families of Europe did it all the time, resulting in such things as Hapsburg jaws and The Tsarevich being a right bleeder, but to most folks it's obscure why Michael is so dead set against it.Andd why is Michael trying to get it on with Kay ? He shut the door on her, literally, after that abortion. And...and...and...

Why does Wallach believe that Vincent would betray Michael when he is the guy that visibly, notoriously knocked off Joey Zaza ? Because he's bopping his cousin ? Really ? Next you'll be doing something stupid like eating poisoned pastry and...oh...

What's with the canolli anyway ? Did Connie do a Gus Fring, rush to the bathroom and stick her fingers down her throat ? Or did she only poison one of them ? Jesus, who eats four canolli in one go ? Awright, maybe Bobby Bacalleri...still, as you say above,silly death. And does Connie really believe Fredo died in a boating accident but Al Neri somehow struggled back to shore ? What, she thinks a shark got him ?

And finally, what is the thing with the guy who does the donkey impression ? Is it some sort of trigger to drive his old man into the most insane attempted whack job ever ? Or is it intended to distract Michael's bodyguards what whilst pop legs it ? Cos I cannot for the life of me see what his getaway plan is.

Yeah, lovely to look at but a profoundly stupid plot.

Epic Bisto

^ Forgot about that. It was a lovely touch to bring Al Neri back - a character that's vital to the story yet all but forgotten by most of the audience.

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 30, 2018, 05:37:24 AMI don't have much to say, other than to tell you that I enjoyed reading this.  Should you ever start a film blog, I would surely subscribe.

Ta for the kind words. I have to tip my hat to Al Needham for introducing the concept of "Shakin..." to describe Y as inferior to X.

eg: George Hamilton = Shakin' Hagen.

Quote from: mrpupkin on August 30, 2018, 12:13:42 PM
Dumb & Dumber 2: Why Have We Done This
When Lovefilm went under, I was left with two films that I didn't bother to return... Dumb and Dumber To and The Hills Have Eyes remake (which isn't that bad to be honest).
They're not getting them back!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 30, 2018, 12:42:34 PM
Likewise. I only watched it earlier this year due to the praise it received on here and thought it was a bunch of gaudy, annoying and pointless bollocks.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is a film which tends to grow on you, the more times you see it.  I thought that it was utter bollocks when I first saw it but I now consider it to be a cheesy fun fest.  Of course, that could just be Stockholm syndrome.

Gulftastic

As well as the discussed problems with plot and performances in The Godfather III, the shite set pieces helped to make it so awful. The helicopter slaughter was almost Die Hard, and compare the dreadful shooting of Joey Zasa with how Vito wiped out Don Fanucci in part 2.

I was gonna mention the Die Hard- esque helicopter attack, but forgot.  That was clearly Coppola trying to lure in the action movie crowd of the day... it doesn't belong.

And Garcia's "ZAZAHHH" after shooting him always made me cringe. 

Didn't he get Oscar nominated for that?

Brundle-Fly

The ten years too late Get Shorty (1995) sequel, Be Cool (2005).

You know that reminds me...

I went to see The Equalizer 2 today.

a duncandisorderly

Epic Bisto

Quote from: goinggoinggone on August 30, 2018, 11:01:29 PM
And Garcia's "ZAZAHHH" after shooting him always made me cringe. 

When I first saw the film, this moment almost caused young me to shout "Fuck this film right in the ear!"

Also, why didn't they go the whole hog and replace Connie with Dot Cotton, especially since she's practically Goth Dot at this point?

Bazooka

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 30, 2018, 08:47:38 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is a film which tends to grow on you, the more times you see it.  I thought that it was utter bollocks when I first saw it but I now consider it to be a cheesy fun fest.  Of course, that could just be Stockholm syndrome.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my favourite film, and in any other case with a sequel I would be in disgust and think what the fuck is this director doing, but with TCM2 it has the same director and I adore the film for everything it is, wouldn't make my top 306 film list though.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on September 01, 2018, 12:48:44 AM
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my favourite film, and in any other case with a sequel I would be in disgust and think what the fuck is this director doing, but with TCM2 it has the same director and I adore the film for everything it is, wouldn't make my top 306 film list though.

I feel the same way.  The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of my absolute favourite horror films but the followup isn't even a sequel to the first film really, it's more of a parody of the first film and glorious with it.  Comparing it to the first film is like comparing an apple with razor blades stuck in it and an inflatable orange with a party hat attached.  I usually can't stand it when a horror film sequels go down the self-parody route but Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and Bride of Chucky are the exceptions to the rule.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: goinggoinggone on August 30, 2018, 11:33:37 PM
You know that reminds me...

I went to see The Equalizer 2 today.

I really enjoyed Equalizer 2. I don't think it was completely unnecessary. It's better than the first film, and the first film was decent enough. On some level it's not much more than Amélie with a bunch of stabbings in, and the version in UK cinemas suffers from a bunch of cack-handed edits made prior to submission for classification, but that aside it's solid stuff, I reckon.

AsparagusTrevor

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is basically what my young brain imagined TCM1 to be while it was unavailable. When I finally saw the first film as a mid-teen I must admit I was disappointed but I grew to love it as my taste in films improved with age. I've always had a soft-spot for the second film as a shlocky 80s splatterfest but it doesn't have the perfectly crafted terror of the first. As Eddie mentioned, it's kind of a knowing send-up of the absurd controversy of TCM1, giving the Mary Whitehouses of the world everything they made the first film out to be.

The third and fourth films can get to fuck though. I don't remember anything even happening in TCM3, and the less said about The Next Generation the better.

St_Eddie

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 01, 2018, 12:21:29 PM
The third and fourth films can get to fuck though. I don't remember anything even happening in TCM3, and the less said about The Next Generation the better.

Everything after Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 can get to fuck.  They're truly the definition of unnecessary sequels.  All they ever did is try to remake the first film and fail miserably.  I've always thought that if we absolutely must continue the series, then how about a prequel focusing on Grandpa ("he always was the best"); The Texas Hammer Massacre.  Then again, that's every bit as unnecessary.  Best to just leave it be, I reckon.

bgmnts

Reading "YOU A BASATARD PIRROCK CORREONE" in Tony Barron's voice made my morning.

SavageHedgehog

TCM: The Next Generation is surely worth it just for the McConaughey clip fodder. That 3-D one a few years ago that retconned 1974 to be 1994 or whatever was mostly meh, but it did get silly enough to be amusing near the end to become mildly amusing ("Do your thing, cuz!"). I recall nothing about Leatherface (the 1990 one) bar the seminal trailer. I haven't seen Leatherface (the not-1990 one). The Platinum Dunes ones can, indeed, get to fuck; I know the first has its fans, I honestly thought it was terrible.

Epic Bisto

Quote from: bgmnts on September 02, 2018, 05:24:41 AM
Reading "YOU A BASATARD PIRROCK CORREONE" in Tony Barron's voice made my morning.

I HAVE SERIOUS RESERVATION ABOUT VATICAN!!!

Also, Coppola should go back and overdub Bob doing Dara O'Briain's "EEEEEEERRRRRR!" when post-stroke Michael keeps making those faces.