Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley - Episode One

Started by Neil, February 11, 2005, 02:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the first episode?

Shit
53 (19.3%)
Average
163 (59.3%)
Brilliant
59 (21.5%)
BIG BOUNCING BUTTOCKS!!!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 275

Voting closed: February 12, 2005, 01:34:42 PM

Neil

I'll sticky this until tomorrow to try and stop the forum getting flooded with new Barley threads tonight.

And please note: Don't ask for a capture, don't post a capture, don't tell people where to get a capture.  Ta.  We don't want to take any chances.

If you miss the show tonight then it's repeated on Saturday night at 0:10

Quote from: "The Channel 4 site"22:00  Nathan Barley
[subtitles]  
A brand new six part comedy series written by Charlie Brooker and Chris Morris. Nathan Barley (26) is a webmaster, guerrilla filmmaker, screenwriter, DJ and, in his own words, a 'self-facilitating media node'. But is he also an absolute tool?  

I think we might have to turn lurking off fairly soon, so I'm afraid only people with accounts will be able to get in here.  We're anticipating a lot of traffic tonight so want to try and stop the server falling over.  However, it's probably a good idea if you have a notepad document open and compose your posts in there before pasting them in here.  That way if you get the dreaded white screen your comments won't be lost.

George

Quote from: "Jim"With just hours to go before transmission, any sense of excitement I may have had regarding Nathan Barley has been successfully bludgeoned out of me against my will thanks to this bastard of a thread.

For purposes of continuity (Barley notwithstanding) I include this quote as a reminder of what many might have said and what many will.

Ciarán2

I won't get to see Nathan Barley as I am abroad. However, I don't mind. I was unable to see BES when that went out too. Back then I was very miffed at missing out on a new CM show. Not now though. Ah well. Maybe I'll never get to see this and it can all be like a dream. Still, look forward to coming here tomorrow to hear you all speak your brains.

George

Quote from: "Ciarán"I won't get to see Nathan Barley as I am abroad. However, I don't mind. I was unable to see BES when that went out too. Back then I was very miffed at missing out on a new CM show. Not now though. Ah well. Maybe I'll never get to see this and it can all be like a dream. Still, look forward to coming here tomorrow to hear you all speak your brains.

Same here (re: the foreign bit at present). I am many thousands of miles away  meself, and it is so shit not to flick on the commonplace when you want it. like you, I'm getting the jazz from these here junkies too and want to see it for myself.

Peking O

I am also abroad, shall we have some kind of anti-Barley party when it's on? Actually I don't know when it's on. Doh! Yes I do, it says up there.

chav

I don't see how you could forget it's on, since it's been advertised on C4 487,000 times <--- comedy number

Neil

The Freeview listing says:

"A new six-part comedy series by Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker, set in Hosegate, a metropolitan borough filled with twits, buffoons, imbeciles, gufftraps, fools, dolts, nincompoops and idiots."

Neil

You now have exactly enough time to make a cup of tea before the first episode starts.

Lumiere

Bernard

I just want to become part of history by adding to this thread! Goodbye and god bless!

Neil

I think "going dark" is an overdub, I don't recall it on the preview.

MrManson

Lumiere

First half over.  This, so far, isn't funny.  Not at all.  I haven't laughed once.  Why did they have to explain the ? in Jonatton Yeah?  It was funnier without that.  And Barley is so Brent-ish in his mannerisms, especially when trying to get Pingu to thank him for his idea.

Oh well, still 15 minutes and five episodes to go.  Better not get too ahead of myself.

Bonely Child

This seems very reminiscent of The Office, except less funny.

it looks like its set in the Eighties, whats with all the flourescent stuff?

How can you go to break on

'What is the test?'
'I don't know'  ?????

Terrible, not funny 'he is a bit of a colon' what?? fuck off. shite.

Silencer

I'm thinking Julian Barrett is the best thing about this.

dumpster

piss so far, but only 10 mins in, lets see what happens

Quote from: "Silencer"I'm thinking Julian Barrett is the best thing about this.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think you might be right.

Rubella

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"First half over.  This, so far, isn't funny.  Not at all.  I haven't laughed once.  Why did they have to explain the ? in Jonatton Yeah?  It was funnier without that.  And Barley is so Brent-ish in his mannerisms, especially when trying to get Pingu to thank him for his idea.

Oh well, still 15 minutes and five episodes to go.  Better not get too ahead of myself.

Oh, I missed the yeah? bit, shows how much I was paying attention, I guess.

I am disappointed :(

Neil

Uh 126 users online, prepare for the board to explode, we can't handle that many for long.  You should write your posts into notepad and then cut and paste to be on the safe side.

chand

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"First half over.  This, so far, isn't funny.  Not at all.  I haven't laughed once.  Why did they have to explain the ? in Jonatton Yeah?  

To set up the colon joke.

I like it so far, laughed a couple of times. I'll be leaving now.

Bert Thung

Oh this is just very dull.

The problem is I can relate to Dan Ashcroft, in that the whole scenario is just dull and irritating. Does Nathan Barley go on to have any inner life?  

Wouldn't want to judge on the first half though.

chand

Heh, Prefuse 73 and now DM & Jemini, Morris is using his Warp discount card.

no_offenc

I'm a bit mixed on this....I laughed at a couple of bits but groaned and put my face in my hands at others......

Hopefully it'll pick up as the series continues.

*no_offenc REACTS*

alan strang

Quote from: "Neil"Uh 126 users online, prepare for the board to explode, we can't handle that many for long.  You should write your posts into notepad and then cut and paste to be on the safe side.

I suspect this is probably the very last time a Morris product will attract that many site-lurkers.

This really does represent the passing of something.

Dave Stewart (ex Eurthymic/Veryphonic) owns a place called The Hospital which is a sleek TV studio/ screening room place in Covent Garden (admittedly not the East End) which draws parallels to the place they just went in, in case anyone cares

Rubella

Dan Ashcroft's mannerisms and delivery  during the magazine interview really reminded me of Mark Heap.