Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:32:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

So Solid Corbs - 21 Deselections To Go

Started by Johnny Yesno, August 27, 2018, 08:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

Quote from: honeychile on September 24, 2018, 07:52:11 PM
Great stuff from John Mac.

I love how you hear these sorts of quotes from the right-wingers:

"Unfortunately, i'm now left with no other conclusion than that the party i love and have been a proud member of all my life, the Labour party, is institutionally antisemitic. It gives me no pleasure to say that. It breaks my heart to say that. I really wish i didn't have to say that, but i will repeat it again even though i take no pleasure from saying it: Labour is a racist, antisemitic, pro-brexit fuckpile led by a satanic cunt who i hope dies before the next election. I take no pleasure in saying that. Unfortunately this is where the party i love has ended up. I do love my party, and take no pleasure from doing it down based on fuck all. There are decent people in our party whose voices have been marginalised, and i wish i didn't have to say that. I will say it again, though. Don't vote Labour. Labour is possessed by the spirit of Pol Pot and led by Hitler. It gives me no joy to say that, and i've never masturbated while saying that. I don't ever want to have to say that again.

I will though: Labour is a lost cause. I take no pleasure from saying that, and am not relishing having any of the words i've said about it being a hateful dungeon being repeated on telly and in the newspapers tomorrow, even though unfortunately our free press will have no choice but to dutifully do its job and report what i'm saying, which i'm extremely sad to be saying. Now is the time for strong party leadership, which means acknowledging what a scum-filled oil spill the party i love has become, and we need decisive action from the leader which sadly hasn't been forthcoming.

I take no pleasure from saying that, but regret that i will have to do several interviews later today where i recount these well-rehearsed lines back to reporters i was at university with.

It's really sad. And frightening. And i reiterate that i take no pleasure from repeating that."

Who the fuck said that?

greencalx

Quote from: pancreas on September 24, 2018, 07:54:49 PM
^ This is going straight in the guffaw thread.

Yeah, I was thinking that this is the sort of thing that should be in Private Eye... maybe honeychile should try sending it in?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Zetetic

Useful for this:

As far as I know, McDonnell's policy has been tried in one other comparable situation. In the early 80s, Sweden's Social Democrats promised to give 20% of company shares to workers. Named after its architect, trade union economist Rudolf Meidner, the policy was popular with the party faithful.

But in this polite and outwardly cohesive country, it caused outright war, writes Robin Blackburn in his classic history Banking on Death: "Business leaders were intensely alarmed and spent five times more money attacking the plan than the cash laid out by all the parties on the 1982 election. The privately-owned press ran a sustained and vigorous campaign ... under assault, support for the scheme ebbed and the Social Democrat leaders believed that it was prudent greatly to dilute the scheme..." By the mid-90s, the policy was dead.

Any other suggestions where people have tried this?

Possibly naively, I would have thought that this would be quite an easy sell in the first instance as opposed to introducing codetermination - workers councils, worker representatives on boards - to this country. A fair number of companies try to convince employees to buy shares - since individually they're generally untroubling shareholders and, I guess, a way to unload company shares (at a price of their choosing, mind you) and get some cash back.

greencalx

Interesting; thanks. Also explains why my hard-right twat-stream has been a bit quiet.

manticore

Quote from: Zetetic on September 24, 2018, 05:37:41 PM
there are other approaches to social ownership rather than having everything owned by the government in Westminster.

It's a forgotten part of Labour history that I can't find any mention of online that Atlee's government was criticised by many people on the left of the party for enacting nationalisation rather than worker's control of industries.

The main reason the government gave was that they didn't believe workers were ready or qualified to run things themselves and needed a management class imposed from above to do it. As far as I know no attempts were made to train workers to take up those positions and run things democratically.

If Labour becomes less of a statist party I think that would be to its advantage.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Unlike the Swedish social democrats Labour already has all the establishment tanks parked on their lawn. I doubt at this point some popular sounding policies about worker ownership is going to make the dramatic difference that lost the Swedes that policy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://evolvepolitics.com/the-tories-just-tried-to-attack-jeremy-corbyn-as-unfittogovern-the-backlash-was-absolutely-monumental-tweets/

#unfittogovern created by the Tories ro attack Labour, immediately turned on themselves seeing as...you know... they're governing.

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 24, 2018, 08:45:28 PM
going to make the dramatic difference that lost the Swedes that policy.
Probably not, but this won't end at the GE (whenever that is).

greencalx

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 24, 2018, 09:21:15 PM
https://evolvepolitics.com/the-tories-just-tried-to-attack-jeremy-corbyn-as-unfittogovern-the-backlash-was-absolutely-monumental-tweets/

#unfittogovern created by the Tories ro attack Labour, immediately turned on themselves seeing as...you know... they're governing.

Very funny.

Another bonkers aspect of the original tweet was when it whinged about Corbyn "breaking a manifesto pledge". I thought that was only possible when you were in government. Or is it now the case that an opposition manifesto can't change from one election to the next?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A pretty good day for Labour. A successful Brexit compromise as the lead story and a radical policy overhauling corporate life settling neatly behind it without much backlash from anyone outside the usual quarters.

I get the feeling the ownership policy genuinely excites some soft left- post crash era types too.

olliebean

Fucking shitshow of the BBC today, after McDonnell's speech, the first thing they said instead of addressing the meat of what he said was essentially, "He bigged up Corbyn at the start there, what about all this antisemitism stuff about Corbyn that's been in the papers that they would say is entirely his own fault?"

thraxx

Hey yo, I've been trying to find some footage of JL Melenchon speaking at the Labour Party Conference this evening but fuck all.  Can any of youse lot help me yo?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: honeychile on September 24, 2018, 07:52:11 PM
Great stuff from John Mac.

I love how you hear these sorts of quotes from the right-wingers:

"Unfortunately, i'm now left with no other conclusion than that the party i love and have been a proud member of all my life, the Labour party, is institutionally antisemitic. It gives me no pleasure to say that. It breaks my heart to say that. I really wish i didn't have to say that, but i will repeat it again even though i take no pleasure from saying it: Labour is a racist, antisemitic, pro-brexit fuckpile led by a satanic cunt who i hope dies before the next election. I take no pleasure in saying that. Unfortunately this is where the party i love has ended up. I do love my party, and take no pleasure from doing it down based on fuck all. There are decent people in our party whose voices have been marginalised, and i wish i didn't have to say that. I will say it again, though. Don't vote Labour. Labour is possessed by the spirit of Pol Pot and led by Hitler. It gives me no joy to say that, and i've never masturbated while saying that. I don't ever want to have to say that again.

I will though: Labour is a lost cause. I take no pleasure from saying that, and am not relishing having any of the words i've said about it being a hateful dungeon being repeated on telly and in the newspapers tomorrow, even though unfortunately our free press will have no choice but to dutifully do its job and report what i'm saying, which i'm extremely sad to be saying. Now is the time for strong party leadership, which means acknowledging what a scum-filled oil spill the party i love has become, and we need decisive action from the leader which sadly hasn't been forthcoming.

I take no pleasure from saying that, but regret that i will have to do several interviews later today where i recount these well-rehearsed lines back to reporters i was at university with.

It's really sad. And frightening. And i reiterate that i take no pleasure from repeating that."

Brilliant and on the nail.

Cuellar

Quote from: greencalx on September 24, 2018, 09:32:57 PM
Very funny.

Another bonkers aspect of the original tweet was when it whinged about Corbyn "breaking a manifesto pledge". I thought that was only possible when you were in government. Or is it now the case that an opposition manifesto can't change from one election to the next?

A few primed guns from when they're the opposition going off early

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45616328

"Increase in maggots, mice and rats"

About sums austerity up right there.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Embarrassing hackwork from John Sweeney on Newsnight tonight. Everything you'd expect.

1) Centrist MP + local council chair complaining about division and distraction whilst actively causing it
2) Vox pops down the market with give a fuck gammons
3) Content-free editorial with smug homily
4) Stalking of thick as fuck councillor who shared an antisemitic tweet once then apologised

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/sep/24/labour-grandee-charles-falconer-apologises-for-his-war-on-drugs

Another Blairite recants his role, this time in perpetuating a meaningless directionless and expensive war on drugs just to keep the Sun & Mail onside.

A different kind of crime to Lord Adonis (of tuition fees) in that Falconer clearly knew deep down what he was doing was wrong, whereas Adonis genuinely believed and wouldn't listen to any critical objection at the time, and is such a cunt and naive fool that he can't even make reference to it now, pretending it was just some unforeseeable disaster.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/24/the-guardian-view-on-labour-economic-ideas-radical-and-necessary
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/24/john-mcdonnell-labour

As predicted, the Milibandine Guardian likes what McDonnell had to say about reshaping the boardroom a lot. Surely they are at least a little excited that unlike Ed, this lot are Actually Going To Do Something.

QuoteCompanies cannot complain that this is money that could have been used for investment when investment rates are low despite large cuts in corporation tax.

Memorise this in the battle ahead.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Toynbeeincreasingly, wise observers predict McDonnell is winning over the public, partly because his ideas are the only ones in town – the Tories ran out of them long ago. The tide has turned against the Thatcherite worldview, not just against cuts but against the gamut of privatisations, deregulations and PFIs.

manticore

Dan Hodges is not a snowflake who can't cope with a differing opinion from an insolent cab driver.

Replies From View

Maybe the extra walking will give him the time and blood circulation needed to start using his fucking brain.

What were the replies like?

Large Noise

Hodges acting the hard man on twitter. We all know he shat it and didn't say anything, then got revenge by not tipping.

Sebastian Cobb

It reads like something a hack would come up with about a cabbie talking about Farage, but with Corbyn swapped in.

manticore

Quote from: Replies From View on September 25, 2018, 12:38:29 AM
What were the replies like?

Surprising lack of ridicule, just the regular arguments about anti-semitism. The funniest thing was this about his mother:

And of course no one can resist reminding him of this:

Paul Calf

The replies are quite witty and excoriating.

https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/1044124574340780033?s=21

biggytitbo

He lives with his mum of course. The poor woman.