Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:28:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

So Solid Corbs - 21 Deselections To Go

Started by Johnny Yesno, August 27, 2018, 08:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

holyzombiejesus

QuoteThe Tory Brexiteers unite the politics of the 1950s with the economics of the 19th century, daydreaming about a Britannia that both rules the waves and waives the rules.

Zing!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 26, 2018, 12:47:44 PM
Home secretaries are supposed to be hated arseholes though. Can you remember a HS who was popular and generally liked outside their constituency and the hang-em-and-flog-em cunts who write into the gutters?

The received wisdom is the role is terrible preparation for stepping up as Prime Minister, and I think we've seen some evidence for that.

This is all true. I doubt Abbot would be trusted to push for whatever the spooks tell her to either like every home sec in my living memory.

Kelvin

I cannot believe how good he's got at speaking. Extremely relaxed, almost looked like he was enjoying himself up there. He's even pretty good at telling jokes, compared to most politicians.

Good polices announced, as well. Childcare should really cut through.

I'm still very worried about their overly complicated Brexit repositioning, and what it will mean for their Leave support in the short and long term. I hope that I'm wrong about that, and maybe the very real threat of No Deal is enough to soften the impact/anger.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIf you deliver a deal that includes a customs union and no hard border in Ireland, if you protect jobs, people's rights at work and environmental and consumer standards - then we will support that sensible deal. A deal that would be backed by most of the business world and trade unions too.

Jeremy Corbyn

Fucking hell, that is one shit-eating grin statement. Easy to distribute, hard to argue against, and yet not something he'll ever have to honour. I love it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Tim Montgomerie

@montie
Don't agree with it but Corbyn has a comprehensive and maybe compelling vision for post-crash future of Britain. May doesn't and that leaves Tories very vulnerable. Much more than that, it leaves future of our free enterprise system vulnerable. Tick, tock, tick tock for Tory MPs

Tory panic engaged

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuotePatrick Kidd

@patrick_kidd
That speech, bang on an hour and the best I've seen Corbyn deliver, should give the Tories the kick they have badly needed. They need to pull the finger out and explain what they are for and find new policies or they're sunk. Can't just rely on Labour being rubbish any more.

MSM panic engaged

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sebastian Payne

@SebastianEPayne
So that was Jeremy Corbyn's best speech to date. Intellectually v coherent, speaking directly to Britain's desire for change. Full of conciliatory language to party and beyond. Scant on details + business reality. A real challenge and wake up call to the Tories next week #Lab18

Thanks Editor of the Financial Times Will from The Inbetweeners

QuoteDon't agree with it but Corbyn has a comprehensive and maybe compelling vision for post-crash future of Britain. May doesn't and that leaves Tories very vulnerable. Much more than that, it leaves future of our free enterprise system vulnerable. Tick, tock, tick tock for Tory MPs

Oh no, not our beloved free enterprise system!

pancreas

Everyone very excited about this bit:

Fuck, I hope she takes it seriously. Of course, she may very well see it as a trap.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's fantastic. Makes Labour look like they have genuine power for the first time in yonks, and is a scenario they know the Tories will never reach out to Labour on.

It means if the Tories don't take the olive branch, any no-deal and any consequences are their fault.

pancreas

Yes. It's a strong play. Also as a message to Europe: okay we're not going to be your reliable capitalist ultras any longer, but we'll play ball. Gives them an incentive to hold out for a Labour govt.

Funcrusher

How bad is it for the UK economy if we're in the customs union but not in the single market? Obviously it's better than not being in either.

biggytitbo

Buelligan

What are you implying?  Do you think his hands are too big for the top job?

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 26, 2018, 02:39:55 PM
They chose that picture delibertly

Anybody seeing that as anything other than a decent guy waving is a bit fucked in the head.

Pdine

Quote from: Replies From View on September 26, 2018, 03:38:15 PM
Anybody seeing that as anything other than a decent guy waving is a bit fucked in the head.

Nonsense - he's got hands like a Nazi yeti.

sevendaughters

missed it. how did he do? out of ten, 1 being that year where the letters fell off Teresa May's thing as she coughed and 10 being Kenny Everett with big hands.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 26, 2018, 03:42:17 PM
missed it. how did he do? out of ten, 1 being that year where the letters fell off Teresa May's thing as she coughed and 10 being Kenny Everett with big hands.

From the very positive coverage in the MSM I assume it was pretty damn good. They don't easily praise him. Best moment has to be the pincer movement on the Tories over Brexit. Nailed it.

Even better was the quote Owen Jones shared of the Blairites complaining Momentum have all the best parties and they're having trouble attracting cool good looking people.

Noonling

Quote from: Replies From View on September 26, 2018, 03:38:15 PM
Quote from: biggytitbo on September 26, 2018, 02:39:55 PM
They chose that picture delibertly

Come on though, I bet there were another fifty photos they could have chosen from.

pancreas

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 26, 2018, 04:03:40 PM
From the very positive coverage in the MSM I assume it was pretty damn good. They don't easily praise him. Best moment has to be the pincer movement on the Tories over Brexit. Nailed it.

Even better was the quote Owen Jones shared of the Blairites complaining Momentum have all the best parties and they're having trouble attracting cool good looking people.

Oh my god the Progress cunts are boring. We have some in our CLP; they all belong to the GMB. They are soulless. Devoid of humour, humanity, wit, flair ... they can't write for shit and they have no ideas. They can only do one thing, which is am-dram indignation. They are scum, sub-human scum. Plus they look like the android progeny of some reptilian computer programmer.

The Momentum lot, by contrast, are handsome, eloquent, witty, sometimes mathematically inspired—and always a hoot to be around.

Funcrusher

May currently giving speech to UN Security Council - Iran, Syria and Russia are the root of all evil, look at me being a world statesperson.

Replies From View

Quote from: Noonling on September 26, 2018, 04:12:25 PM
Come on though, I bet there were another fifty photos they could have chosen from.

I just mean that if they did choose that photo to remind people of an evil antisemite doing a Nazi salute, they have failed.  Anybody being explicitly told that's what Corbyn is doing will side with Corbyn, as they are basically being told their own personal wave is equally antisemitic.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Funcrusher on September 26, 2018, 04:35:35 PM
May currently giving speech to UN Security Council - Iran, Syria and Russia are the root of all evil, look at me being a world statesperson.

Labour, unfortunately, are not proving to be much better. Will corbyn go all warmongery as a condition of power?

Replies From View

Quote from: pancreas on September 26, 2018, 04:23:46 PM
The Momentum lot, by contrast, are handsome, eloquent, witty, sometimes mathematically inspired—and always a hoot to be around.

And bald?  What about bald.

pancreas

biggytitbo