Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:31:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Started by The Boston Crab, August 28, 2018, 11:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
This is the best Monster Hunter game ever made  So good to go 'back' to manually playing the game after the automated butler service of World. Since that became so popular with the shit munchers, it may well also be the last ever proper Monster Hunter game once Capcom goes further down the streamlining road.

The best game on the Switch so far this year by beards.

Kelvin

I started the demo, and was instantly put off by the ugly graphics. Reckon I'm going to wait and see if a proper Monster Hunter is made for Switch (rather than a ported 3DS game), and if not, I'll buy this game in a sale. I loved Monster Hunter on Wii, but I want to see them push their Nintendo series forward with some of the QOL changes made in World.

Yep, it ain't pretty but it's clear, which World struggled with. Once you get past the initial step backwards graphically, the gameplay shines brighter than ever. Generations was superb, but the system was physically uncomfortable for me so this feels like the game it was always meant to be. The styles and arts also set it further apart from the simplicity of World. There's so much variety and viability, it feels gargantuan in comparison. And despite that size and depth, it's also much more focused. There are no crap story missions or QTEs or simply waiting for the next cutscene trigger, it's just hunting and hunting and hunting, and grinding, which brings me to the gear. This is so much more varied, both visually and in terms of creative builds. It's the bread and butter of Monster Hunter and again World fell comparatively very short. The only thing I think is an improvement in that game, aside from pretty graphics, is auto gathering, though it's already improved here over previous entries.

This is my GOTY so far on the Switch. No doubt.

I've concluded that this is the best and most fun I've ever had with any Monster Hunter. The more I've learned about the systems, the more I've got out of it and I'm finding myself feeling genuinely useful with players of a higher Hunter Rank, getting loads of stun with my massive hammer and then letting them do their thing. I've got some sweet gear and now just ploughing through the SP ranks to open up more recipes and Palico stuff and Arts. I'm banging heads, pretty much.

Yeah, the graphics look like sharpened 3DS textures but the gameplay is so so tight and satisfying, I don't even notice because I'm so engrossed. This will easily replace fly-fishing until I can next do that again.

Kelvin

I always thought you'd like MH, as you're so into Dark Souls. I appreciate there's no meaningful lore in MH, but the sense of accomplishment, and the variety of ways you can play seem right up your street.

The variety thing is such a good point because it feels like each weapon could take hours and hours to master. Even using the hammer, which is one of the most straightforward, there's so much to learn and consider in terms of spacing and timing and when to best use various combos or Arts or whatever, and this is all doubled or quadrupled with multiplayer, too. Throw in the other thirteen weapons or so and the range of six Arts and status stuff and gear and decorations and everything and it's so so open. The build variety is insane. There's also very little like chasing down a limping monster as the clock is ticking and getting that final hammer blow and the QUEST COMPLETE stamp across the screen. So satisfying, it's weird.

Obviously nobody else is on this for the moment but if you do, hit your boy Bosto up because I am having a moment with this refined MILF.