Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:13:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK returns to comedy after wankbeast shenanigans [split topic]

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

It's a grey area. I don't think someone famous should necessarily be stopped from doing their job any longer than they would have been if they were a member of the public going to prison. I've got no problem with him performing again, he just can't expect to get the same treatment he used to. He should be allowed on stage, but ultimately it's up to the audience to decide how that goes. He's lucky he didn't come out to a chorus of boos.

up_the_hampipe

I think he should have waited a bit longer. #MeToo is still a fresh issue in the public conscience. Twitter be mad. If he was implicated in Leveson, it might be safe to pop your head out by now.

Regardless, it's going to be a long time before any of us see his act. He'll be tiptoeing into shows every now and then, but I doubt we'll be getting a tour from him any time soon.

Schnapple

I have to concede that as a fan, and knowing wot happened happened some time ago, I would be willing to accept Louis back in the sphere at some time in the future, but Christ, no time soon! One of the few things his apology got right that others didn't was his note about how he's made a life talking, now it's time to listen, etc. I know stand-up is what he does, it's his identity, but I seriously hope he continues to sod off for a good few years yet.

Twit 2

He probably can't afford to. He used to brag about having no savings, and even with exaggeration factored in, he presumably needs some form of income beyond whatever royalties he gets.

Bronzy

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 28, 2018, 08:44:39 AM
"There can't be a permanent life sentence..."

He's been blackballed for less than six months you prick.

More like blueballed, am I right lads?

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 28, 2018, 08:44:39 AM
"There can't be a permanent life sentence..."

He's been blackballed for less than six months you prick.

In the next paragraph:

QuoteYet he too said he was surprised that Louis C.K. re-emerged so quickly. "I didn't think it was going to happen as soon as it did," he said.

Moribunderast

Yeah, sorry Louis, not interested. There are artists whom I could overlook his particular perversions and alleged assaults to still enjoy their art but his comedy was so reliant on his woke attitude, mixed with the puerile, mixed with joking about his daughters and his parenting of them. I don't want to see a wank-pouncer joke about his wanking, nor do I care for his woke outlook on life, nor do I want to hear about the daughters he's raising. All the core elements of his comedy are ruined because they just seem icky coming from his voice anymore.

And yeah, fuck off with coming back this soon. No price has been paid with a six month vacation. I mean, if audiences accept him back then whatever but it seems pretty gross.

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on August 28, 2018, 12:29:55 PM
In the next paragraph:

Yet he let him on stage in his club anyway.

I'd have more respect if he just admitted that Louis' management paid him off for a spot on the bill to rebuild his profile via word of mouth and viral videos rather than trying to make excuses he doesn't believe for a man who hasn't earned them.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 28, 2018, 02:52:13 PM
Yet he let him on stage in his club anyway.

I'd have more respect if he just admitted that Louis' management paid him off for a spot on the bill to rebuild his profile via word of mouth and viral videos rather than trying to make excuses he doesn't believe for a man who hasn't earned them.

I don't think it was that. The Cellar is Louis' home club so he has close relationships with people there. I think they've said before that they would welcome him back if he ever wanted to go up.

Quote from: Moribunderast on August 28, 2018, 02:41:14 PM
Yeah, sorry Louis, not interested. There are artists whom I could overlook his particular perversions and alleged assaults to still enjoy their art but his comedy was so reliant on his woke attitude, mixed with the puerile, mixed with joking about his daughters and his parenting of them. I don't want to see a wank-pouncer joke about his wanking, nor do I care for his woke outlook on life, nor do I want to hear about the daughters he's raising. All the core elements of his comedy are ruined because they just seem icky coming from his voice anymore.

I get that, but he's also established himself as a pathetic pervert for years already. He's told some weird stories. It was part of his appeal at the time that he was so upfront about that stuff. For many of his fans, their perception of him might not have changed that much.

up_the_hampipe

Twitter are so angry about this. Now Michael Ian Black is trending for defending the possibility of Louis maybe perhaps being allowed to do stand-up again someday https://twitter.com/michaelianblack/status/1034401081193836544

Dr Rock

Quote from: Moribunderast on August 28, 2018, 02:41:14 PM

And yeah, fuck off with coming back this soon. No price has been paid with a six month vacation. I mean, if audiences accept him back then whatever but it seems pretty gross.

This is pretty much how I feel.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 28, 2018, 03:01:37 PM
I get that, but he's also established himself as a pathetic pervert for years already. He's told some weird stories. It was part of his appeal at the time that he was so upfront about that stuff.

He was anything but upfront when it mattered. How long were the accusations in the air for? The original Gawker article was March 2012. Even a few weeks before he finally caved, he was saying it was "just rumours".

QuoteFor many of his fans, their perception of him might not have changed that much.

Probably some truth in that, but I can't see how his stand-up can ever be the same again.

BlodwynPig

Weinstein is due to start financing movies again.

Argento is busted.

Savile has been raised from the grave.

Salmond, Corbyn, Galloway binned.

And all is right with the world once more.

hedgehog90

People are saying they think he should've kept his head down for a bit longer before returning to stand up, TOO SOON, etc. but that just strikes me as completely superficial. What difference would it make if he returned to stand up now or in a year or two? Is there a moral argument there or just a lot of pointless guff?

Edit: I'm not interested in this discussion enough to care either way really, consider the above as being rhetorical.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on August 28, 2018, 05:11:11 PM
He was anything but upfront when it mattered. How long were the accusations in the air for? The original Gawker article was March 2012. Even a few weeks before he finally caved, he was saying it was "just rumours".

Well, in fairness, those rumours about him weren't true. It was the result of a telephone game in the comedy community.

rue the polywhirl

If Louis CK were to maintain the same woke act that he maintained before being outed as a jerky monster then it would be quite jarring and not all that acceptable but he might come back with a revelatory, soul-searching new act that absolves him of his past sins so he should be given another chance any time he pleases. Although having said that, it would have been quite Kaufmanesque or Twilight Zone-ish if he was to make a return exactly the same as before without acknowledgment or awareness of his recent indiscretions and see how long he could keep it up for before an angry mob descends upon him.

Schnapple

Yes, I think that the power and honesty of Louis' outlook, act and persona has been spoiled now. I've seen it presented that Louis was "hiding in plain sight" for years, with his endless wanking gags, and that maybe people don't want to hear that kind of thing any longer. I think that's a bit ridiculous, but obviously the public are once agan interested in some sort of 'truth to power' comedy these days ("I didn't laugh, but I agreed the fuck out of it!"), which Louis could no longer take on. I think his talents, money and contacts would now best be utilised behind-the-scenes. He had a good run.

Then again, a hundred-odd people at the Comedy Cellar welcomed him with open-arms, which makes me wonder, as I do everyday, just how reliable Twitter is to gauge public opinion.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 28, 2018, 04:20:56 PM
Twitter are so angry about this. Now Michael Ian Black is trending for defending the possibility of Louis maybe perhaps being allowed to do stand-up again someday https://twitter.com/michaelianblack/status/1034401081193836544

Really disappointed in Michael Ian Black for that, apparently he's a bit of a cock about a lot of things in general too which is depressing to hear.

Pdine

I don't understand the issue here. People can oppose his rehabilitation, and are. CK can work again, and if he has an audience, he'll have a career.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on August 28, 2018, 06:32:25 PM
If Louis CK were to maintain the same woke act that he maintained before being outed as a jerky monster then it would be quite jarring and not all that acceptable but he might come back with a revelatory, soul-searching new act that absolves him of his past sins so he should be given another chance any time he pleases.

What frustrates me in this particular instance is how, as others have said, his reputation has been tarnished not just for his actions but for the way his comedic work aped those actions and seemed to revel in them. Even if CK were to "come back with a revelatory, soul-searching new act that absolves him of his past sins", I think it would be extremely difficult for me to take what he's saying at any credible, earnest face value. The way he's conducted himself across those two areas of his life has lost my trust.

If the wider world can see past that, forgive him and watch him at least return to this sort of work at any successful capacity, then fair enough, whatever. But personally, I'm not comfortable with that, or him.

He's only allowed back if his new material is all about the wanking and nothing else?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Schnapple on August 28, 2018, 10:41:03 AM
I have to concede that as a fan, and knowing wot happened happened some time ago, I would be willing to accept Louis back in the sphere at some time in the future, but Christ, no time soon!

My sentiments exactly, with the added caveat that I know for sure that aside from the wanking stuff Louis is not a nice person. He has no time for his audience and treats them almost with contempt. In many ways he's a genuine piece of shit. I'd defend him as a great stand up and a proper artist but I wouldn't want to need a favour from him if I wasn't famous or he didn't need something from me.

I suppose we all will have varying ideas of how long he should have stepped out of the spotlight but this is taking the piss. A couple of years would have done me, I doubt he needs the money.

I suppose with guys like Cosby raping whole auditoriums worth of women after drugging them maybe CK thought his deeds paled in comparison. The audience clearly thinks so.

selectivememory

I'd be quite happy to see the back of him, but I expect he'll find an audience easily enough. It'll be full of the kind of misogynistic pricks who think he did nothing wrong or that he's "served his time", but it'll still be lucrative. Wonder how he'll balance that with trying to be a decent father and role model to his daughters though. Could be very awkward.

Surely though, if there's going to be any kind of rehabilitation for him, the least he can do is try to make amends to his victims.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: selectivememory on August 28, 2018, 10:57:19 PM
I expect he'll find an audience easily enough. It'll be full of the kind of misogynistic pricks who think he did nothing wrong or that he's "served his time"

redditors

the science eel

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 28, 2018, 10:34:34 PM
My sentiments exactly, with the added caveat that I know for sure that aside from the wanking stuff Louis is not a nice person. He has no time for his audience and treats them almost with contempt. In many ways he's a genuine piece of shit.

Where do you get all this from?