Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK returns to comedy after wankbeast shenanigans [split topic]

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a peepee tipi

Quote from: Charles Babbage on August 30, 2018, 07:58:47 AM
https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1034856686261944320

Fuckin bleurgh
Was worried that this was gonna be Dave Anthony reiterating Michael Ian Black. As with Tig Notaro, anybody else and I'd dismiss any haphazardly tossed hearsay as such, but coming from him gives it some credibility to my mind even if nothing can be said definitively.

Replies From View

Quote from: Moribunderast on August 29, 2018, 08:36:31 AM
He's probably still very funny but at this point seeing him make the kind of jokes he used to make would be like watching Jeremy Clarkson do a Chapelle set... the material is good but it's not at all comfortable to be seeing it coming from that person.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Petey Pate on August 30, 2018, 11:17:51 AM
Louis CK isn't that evil guys because he didn't vote for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson.

You don't know how one votes... I would certainly hope he didn't give a tally to the WORST candidates for President.
Is there video of the performance? The only thing I care is if he's funny or not. He can be quite funny when he criticizes society ala 5,000 people staring at their kids through the eyes of their phones.

Replies From View

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Replies From View on September 09, 2018, 09:48:14 PM
Is it bad that I still love this moment?

I cannot see it. It is emptied, like Louis CK's barenaked sacs during meet and greets with any number of female comics (that is after asking for permission).

lankyguy95

That's not the comeback show. It's just titled to make it seem like that.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Really? Bastards had me fooled. Wondered why I heard some of it before.

up_the_hampipe

lankyguy95

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on September 13, 2018, 06:27:53 PM
Really? Bastards had me fooled. Wondered why I heard some of it before.
They craftily put a line at the end of the description.

Depressed Beyond Tables

I think it was the comedian/masturbator image on the video that made me assume it was the appearance from a few weeks ago. Crafty alright.

hedgehog90

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The wankbeast has been up to his old tricks again.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/louis-c-k-performed-at-the-comedy-cellar-again-last-night.html

I know I'm just going over old ground here, but I find it staggering that a entertainer guilty of sexual assault would have the raw brass balls to carry on with his career, albeit in reduced circumstances, with such alacrity.

The sheer arrogance of the man is quite something to behold.

And before anyone says "But how long should he stay away for? What's the appropriate amount of time?", my view is that he should just fuck off forever. That's what someone with a genuinely remorseful conscience would do.

Schnapple

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 02, 2018, 12:24:52 AM

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/louis-c-k-performed-at-the-comedy-cellar-again-last-night.html

And before anyone says "But how long should he stay away for? What's the appropriate amount of time?", my view is that he should just fuck off forever. That's what someone with a genuinely remorseful conscience would do.

I keep thinking about this approach, and on one hand, I like to think it's what someone genuinely remorseful would do - it's what I'd do, in his position, maybe, hopefully? But what's the point in feeling remorseful forever? I suppose when you're a wildly famous and successful public figure of CK's ilk, the very act of your presense in the wake of all this is fundamentally offensive. But I think about mistakes I've made in the past, albeit none as damaging as Louis', and I've learned through therapy and observation that is possible to feel genuine remorse and move forward with your life. I suppose he could find meaning elsewhere now. He doesn't need to be a stand-up, I guess.

Sorry if this sounds dense. The last year has proved that people/people-on-the-internet are much more rigid on this stuff than I thought, and I should clarify that I could definitely do without his wry take on any topic in the foreseeable.

bgmnts

I know I'm just going over old ground here, but I find it staggering that a entertainer guilty of sexual assault would have the raw brass balls to carry on with his career, albeit in reduced circumstances, with such alacrity.

A man caught on tape saying he touches women's vaginas without permission (a criminal offence?) was voted in president.

Why the fuck WOULDN'T you chance your arm in this climate?

Bronzy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 02, 2018, 12:24:52 AMAnd before anyone says "But how long should he stay away for? What's the appropriate amount of time?", my view is that he should just fuck off forever. That's what someone with a genuinely remorseful conscience would do.

I get that, but stand-up has essentially been his whole life for the past 33 years. It's difficult to go from doing something you love constantly for that amount of time to not doing it at all.

I'm not justifying what he's done by the way, just theorising as to why he's started performing again so soon.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bronzy on October 02, 2018, 01:16:15 AM
I get that, but stand-up has essentially been his whole life for the past 33 years. It's difficult to go from doing something you love constantly for that amount of time to not doing it at all.

I'm not justifying what he's done by the way, just theorising as to why he's started performing again so soon.

He'll probably be wanking in stranger's faces soon as well.

Bronzy

Quote from: bgmnts on October 02, 2018, 01:18:35 AM
He'll probably be wanking in stranger's faces soon as well.

To be fair, it's hard to get yourself in a lot of trouble for doing stand-up, unless you're Cosmo Kramer.

Wanking in stranger's faces is a different story, in my experience.

Unless the man wanking has a big willy then all the women go "wow" and the men go "what a lad"

colacentral

Forever is a bit harsh, isn't it? Why should he specifically not do stand-up again? Why must he have a career change? It would be a different matter if he was a politician or other public sector worker, or a taxi driver where it's just not an appropriate job considering the offence. I suppose a comedian being famous and influential in that way poses its own problems but I don't see how it warrants a career change.

I think he's misjudged the situation a bit - he seems to be channelling George Costanza showing up for work the day after quitting - but he hasn't been charged with anything and ultimately it's the venue's choice to let him perform and the audience's choice not to walk out.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Louis CK's entire persona was based on his brutal, endearing honesty. He positioned himself as a thoughtful man. We laughed at, and often related to, his self-deprecation and struggles with hypocrisy.

We now know that he wanked himself off in the presence of women who didn't want him to. He's a sex pest and an abuser.

Everything he presented himself as, his entire act, his whole persona, was a lie. His comedy is null and void now.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 02, 2018, 05:03:44 AM
Louis CK's entire persona was based on his brutal, endearing honesty. He positioned himself as a thoughtful man. We laughed at, and often related to, his self-deprecation and struggles with hypocrisy.

We now know that he wanked himself off in the presence of women who didn't want him to. He's a sex pest and an abuser.

Everything he presented himself as, his entire act, his whole persona, was a lie. His comedy is null and void now.

This is incredibly important when it comes to him getting back to doing standup. The fact he's not talking about it on stage makes it look like he thinks its all blown over and he can get back to normal. He's shown no real signs of being sorry for what he did so he still comes across as a selfish, predatory wankbeast.

Maybe he's negotiating with Netflix (or someone) for his wank confessional set and will only spill the beans when the price is right.

colacentral

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 02, 2018, 07:49:33 AM
This is incredibly important when it comes to him getting back to doing standup. The fact he's not talking about it on stage makes it look like he thinks its all blown over and he can get back to normal. He's shown no real signs of being sorry for what he did so he still comes across as a selfish, predatory wankbeast.

I don't think you can make that assumption about a person's level of guilt based on them not mentioning it on stage at a comedy show. Firstly because it was an unannounced set in the Comedy Cellar, not a televised special or an appearance on a chat show, so it would have been a message for that particular audience of a few dozen people, which would probably have seemed odd (ignoring the fact that it was inevitable it would be picked up as a big story and discussed all over the internet).

I also don't know whether it would be appropriate for the perpetrator to bring his crimes up and then start making jokes - whether that's respectful to the victims, and whether it makes the whole endeavour of attempting to perform comedy a failure from the get go.

What he's done is not how I would be handling it, but I wouldn't just assume his level of remorse based on omitting an apology or discussion of what he's done on stage to a small audience. I'd maybe ask why he hasn't done a Michael Richards and made a big public apology instead, certainly. But my interpretation of his stage appearances is that he's panicked and decided that the right tactic is to try pretending that nothing happened in an attempt to transition passed it all sooner rather than later, which is not quite the same as having no remorse, though not mutually exclusive either. I think he's possibly in a state of denial about his career prospects.

rm2kmaster

So what, should he just top himself?

Shut up you cunt.

monolith

Sounds like he got a good reception. Whether you think it's right or not, he's going to be making some sort of career for himself as he obviously still has fans and support.

bgmnts

Quote from: rm2kmaster on October 02, 2018, 08:20:35 AM

Shut up you cunt.

Never seen someone called a cunt for not wanting a sex offender to work again.

Barry Admin

Quote from: rm2kmaster on October 02, 2018, 08:20:35 AM

Shut up you cunt.

Oi. Raise the tone a bit there. This isn't Twitter mate.

Dr Rock

QuoteThe two outlets have slightly conflicting accounts of the reception C.K. got for his appearance at the Cellar. Page Six claims that "patrons were not happy about it," while Gothamist – which listened to audio of C.K.'s set – says it was more of a mixed response "in which any boos or gasps of recognition in the audience were drowned out by the cheers and clapping."

According to both reports, C.K. did not address the multiple sexual misconduct allegations he admitted to last year during last night's set, but he did make a comment around the lines of "I've been off for a while, 'cause everyone needs a break." Additionally, several women walked out of the venue in protest

Hmm.

batwings