Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:40:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK returns to comedy after wankbeast shenanigans [split topic]

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankyguy95

It would've been better in a lot of ways if he hadn't have been able to make a comeback at all but that was never really likely. I understand the idea that he needs to "serve his time" and I think a couple of years away, for example, would have better demonstrated the serious impact of his and other related abuses. But that wouldn't prove that he'd taken anything on board or 'rehabilitated'. It would just feel cleaner. And would probably send a stronger message out. I guess that's why people are annoyed.

I'm more concerned that the audience supposedly gave him a standing ovation than the fact that he did the gig.

djtrees

I would be great if he just jibbed it off. Like made an actual effort to not be seen again. (I like Louie, the program. Laughed at some of his stand-up and watched horace and peter)

maybe had some self reflection about what it means to be a man in this kind of shitty system. Maybe he has. but like people have said above. anything that he comes out and says will be jumped upon as some kind of free speech bollocks.

He needs (and anyone who wants to be seen as "serving their time") to not do the thing that he was paid handsomely for.

Just give it a rest. You can't be compelled to tell shitty wank jokes. Its fine. Stop for a bit. Then see how you can make it better.

But he won't cos he's a fucking prick. hey ho. guess every thing is fucked.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: the science eel on August 29, 2018, 12:02:13 AM
Where do you get all this from?

Listening to him on Opie and Anthony. Being called a faggot by him when I saw him live. Just piecing it together. There's maybe no reason he should give a shit about his audence but it just annoys me about him. I'm willing to be corrected of course. Stories about him being a really nice bloke are welcomed by me.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: lankyguy95 on August 29, 2018, 12:12:46 AM
I'm more concerned that the audience supposedly gave him a standing ovation than the fact that he did the gig.

People are just fucking oblivious. Morons. Cosby did elder statesman stand up gigs well after loads of women came out about drug raping and people still went and he made light of the rapes and people just thought "that's fine ha ha ha".

i am not making that up. People don't seem to know or care.

Fry

His objectively early return really doesn't do anything to diminish the sense that if you are a rich, famous man and have some kind of veneer of "greatness" or "genius" then you are held to different, far more lax, standards than the rest of us. You can do what you will with the knowledge any consequences will be, at worst, hugely mitigated and, at best, completely absent.

the science eel

Quote from: Fry on August 29, 2018, 08:11:34 AM
His objectively early return really doesn't do anything to diminish the sense that if you are a rich, famous man and have some kind of veneer of "greatness" or "genius" then you are held to different, far more lax, standards than the rest of us. You can do what you will with the knowledge any consequences will be, at worst, hugely mitigated and, at best, completely absent.

I don't think anyone could (rationally) argue against that.

I just have a problem with people who have decided, in the light of all these awful stories, that they no longer want to have anything to do with the man and his work. This strikes me as hypocritical. It's the same man. It's the same work.

Dr Rock

Now have to factor in he's a sex offender. Bit of a game changer.

the science eel

Moribunderast

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 29, 2018, 08:24:36 AM
Now have to factor in he's a sex offender. Bit of a game changer.

Yeah. The Paedogeddon episode of Brass Eye might be less enjoyable if it came out that Chris Morris was a buntyman. Likewise, seeing Louis tell stories about wanking, or about being accidentally inappropriate around his daughter/s or how he has THE wisdom and we should all find truth in his sage voice - that's less fun when in the back of your mind you're still thinking about him awkwardly assaulting a work colleague.

For instance, that "You don't even know how to rape" scene in Louie, which was dicey in the first place, is fucking disgusting to watch with the knowledge we now have.

Moribunderast

Quote from: the science eel on August 29, 2018, 08:30:30 AM
So he's no longer funny?

He's probably still very funny but at this point seeing him make the kind of jokes he used to make would be like watching Jeremy Clarkson do a Chapelle set... the material is good but it's not at all comfortable to be seeing it coming from that person.

the science eel

Quote from: Moribunderast on August 29, 2018, 08:36:31 AM
He's probably still very funny but at this point seeing him make the kind of jokes he used to make would be like watching Jeremy Clarkson do a Chapelle set... the material is good but it's not at all comfortable to be seeing it coming from that person.

Fair enough.

Dr Rock

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 29, 2018, 06:36:10 AM
Listening to him on Opie and Anthony. Being called a faggot by him when I saw him live. Just piecing it together. There's maybe no reason he should give a shit about his audence but it just annoys me about him. I'm willing to be corrected of course. Stories about him being a really nice bloke are welcomed by me.

I think he appreciates his loyal fans, but has a general dislike of people, which is fair enough. They can be fickle.

Crabwalk

How badly do you reckon he wanted to masturbate during that standing ovation?

'No Louis. It's time to listen now. You can rub your exposed penis later, while remembering this moment'.

If he had a shred of genuine contrition in him he'd not be back this soon. Or he'd have walked offstage the moment he was received like a returning hero.

Dr Rock

It seems to confirm the suspicion that he thinks what he did wasn't that wrong. I too think a couple of years break and he may have been seen to have served his time. And then I don't know what material would be appropriate or funny anymore. I thought his best years were behind him anyway, and his attempts at serious stuff were way out of his depth and boring as fuck.

jobotic

He should wear a flying helmet and make gags about nothing but wanking.

Maybe Judge Nutmeg could come out of retirement and pass a binding sentence and then everyone will know where they stand.

Crabwalk

Quote from: jobotic on August 29, 2018, 09:57:31 AM
He should wear a flying helmet and make gags about nothing but wanking.

And call his first special 'Shameless'.

Oh, wait.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: the science eel on August 29, 2018, 08:30:30 AM
So he's no longer funny?

Do we seriously have to have this debate again? Everyone's opinions are well documented. CK made a living from making jokes, 10% of which seemed to be about masturbation and dark sexual thoughts. This fact in particular causes mixed emotions for this comeback. I'll defend CK's art and skill but he could have fucked off for a bit longer in my opinion and seemingly in a fair few other peoples opinion.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 29, 2018, 09:07:28 AM
I think he appreciates his loyal fans, but has a general dislike of people, which is fair enough. They can be fickle.

He does have a general dislike of people which informs his humour and I can sympathise with but occasionally I just think he's a shit. Like on the radio and someone is talking and he's almost groaning at them and the guy is making a decent point and I think what an asshole. What a piece of shit. He's probably getting paid to appear or at least gets free publicity and he just has contempt for his fellow professionals, never mind the average shlub on the street. Then you see him palling it up with Gervais and you think yeuch!

And I'm a big fan of his comedy. It just irks me that he's clearly not a very nice person.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 29, 2018, 11:53:42 AM
He does have a general dislike of people which informs his humour and I can sympathise with but occasionally I just think he's a shit. Like on the radio and someone is talking and he's almost groaning at them and the guy is making a decent point and I think what an asshole. What a piece of shit. He's probably getting paid to appear or at least gets free publicity and he just has contempt for his fellow professionals, never mind the average shlub on the street. Then you see him palling it up with Gervais and you think yeuch!

And I'm a big fan of his comedy. It just irks me that he's clearly not a very nice person.

Yeah, he would get quite bitter on that show, but I'm not sure he would behave like that in his everyday life. Opie & Anthony breeds an environment of contempt.

the science eel

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 29, 2018, 11:36:57 AM
Do we seriously have to have this debate again?

I just asked a question. You don't have to answer it.

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 29, 2018, 06:36:10 AM

I haven't listened to Opie and Andy and don't claim to have the full picture, but for balance didn't be invent a whole new ticketing model to stop the likes of Ticketmaster ripping people off? And move one of his gigs at Wembley to two nights in Hammersmith after finding out how expensive the tickets were?

Beagle 2

I love his stand up but it was very much based on being "searingly honest". The fact that he basically denied sexual assault and put a load of people in an awful position kind of makes his entire persona useless.

The only comeback I could really get interested in is something where he directly addresses what happened. And even then I think there's a 99% chance it would turn out self-serving and nauseating.

hedgehog90

If I understand correctly, the accusations date back over 10 years ago (2003-2005) and there's evidence that CK was contacting his victims as early as 2009 to apologize. Maybe I'm naïve but this means a great deal, but no-one else here seems to acknowledge it.
9 months out of the spotlight and starting from scratch seems about right to me.
Well played.

BeardFaceMan

If he did reach out then it was only because people were gossiping about him. Reading his apology he really didnt seem to think he did anything wrong so I'd be very surprised if he tried to reach out to apologise. I dont remember Laura Silverman getting apology for his constant unpleasant behaviour. Did the women involved say he tried to reach out to them, I've never heard about that before (maybe another reason why it doesnt get acknowledged?)?

If one of Louis' daughters grows up and decides she wants to be a barista when shes 18 and all shes ever wanted to do in life is work at a starbucks and serve coffee and turns up fresh faced and excited on her first day, (and the 40 year old guy who runs the starbucks is her hero and she has wanted to work with him for a long time because shes always been a fan of his work) and she says "nice to meet you, I'm excited to work here." and the boss says "thank you. Can I jerk off in front of you?" And she really doesnt want to do it because, yknow, gross, but feels she has to because hes the boss, she really wants to be there and doesnt want to piss him off in case he fires her and he has a word and management stops her working in any other starbucks. Maybe if something like that happened to him then he might understand why he was being a piece of shit. He seems to be of the opinion that he didnt touch them  and he asked first so what he did was fine.  Read Laura Silvermans account of their roadtrip to see how not fine it was.