Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK returns to comedy after wankbeast shenanigans [split topic]

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obel

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 28, 2018, 08:17:56 PM

And they dont have anything like the Edinburgh Festival in the US.

Just For Laughs in Montreal, sort of close enough.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Obel on November 28, 2018, 10:23:57 PM

Juste Pour Jizz in the vernacular Louis insisted on.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Obel on November 28, 2018, 10:23:57 PM

Not really. Americans still have to travel to a foreign country because they didn't have a comedy festival in their own, and a lot of JFL is recorded and televised, the Fringe is not.

Maow

Several days ago, on the Louis CK subreddit, someone posted the full audio of a recent set at Governor's Comedy Club in Levittown, New York. It runs a little under 50 minutes.

Lewman

Quote from: Maow on December 28, 2018, 07:10:24 AM
Several days ago, on the Louis CK subreddit, someone posted the full audio of a recent set at Governor's Comedy Club in Levittown, New York. It runs a little under 50 minutes.

Do you have a link? Cant seem to find it on there :/

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Lewman on December 28, 2018, 09:53:51 AM
Do you have a link? Cant seem to find it on there :/

Probably best not to spread it around in case it gets taken down. Look in the thread about audio of recent performances.

Lewman

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 28, 2018, 10:15:56 AM
Probably best not to spread it around in case it gets taken down. Look in the thread about audio of recent performances.

True. Found it tho' :)

Pseudopath

Maow

It surprised me a little how explicit his material was in places, the references to women's pussies and sexual stuff, even though I've been reading all the news articles about his recent performances. But I guess it makes sense for him not to tone down his act if doing so might cement expectations around what he can do and say in the future. Did anyone else listen yet? What do others here think of the set, in general?

up_the_hampipe

At one point after some risky material, he says "What are they gonna do? Take away my fucking birthday?". He was probably exploring all the fucked up ideas he's probably had in his head for a few years. Seems like he's just in "fuck it" mode now. He ended on what was essentially a rape joke.

lankyguy95

I was about to say, I haven't heard him like that since maybe Hilarious.

Maow

Not too many people on the subreddit seemed to have noticed the links even a few hours ago, when I posted on here, but someone's put the audio on YouTube since then, which has made it more prominent. Wonder if the internet will notice, much.

up_the_hampipe

It's very likely. And if it does catch on, he's fucked. Not only is a lot of the material going to upset people, but now this new set he's been working on has been heard by many people, so he'll have to start from scratch or just walk away from stand-up.

chveik

Sin Agog

That was a great set.  Most of it is predicated on what a victim he is, so he will be filleted and served back to himself, but it was still really good.  His mum proudly adding wankgate newspaper clippings to her scrap book is just funny.

Sin Agog

Actually, entering the second half with the material about over-sensitive teens, I'm now starting to wonder if this is all a methodical build-up to a stage-dive into the hands of the alt-right, the way Jamie Kilstein tried to when he was metoo'd. 

EDIT: Naw, he's just being himself, but angrier.

robotam

I thought it was a bit shit. That one guy in the audience certainly seemed to love it.

Noodle Lizard

I thought this was funnier than his last few pre-wankbeast sets - and it's still an early on work in progress.  I'm glad he hasn't gone for the contrite "I'm better now" approach that I expected.  He seems to have recaptured some of the angst and pointedness which he lost when he was Hollywood's darling, and I think he's channeling it effectively.  There must be something quite liberating for a comedian having nothing to lose.

chveik

'black cocks' jokes, 'retarded' jokes, 'my daughter is a cunt' jokes. he's a lazy creep.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: chveik on December 28, 2018, 05:17:34 PM
'black cocks' jokes, 'retarded' jokes, 'my daughter is a cunt' jokes. he's a lazy creep.

I loved it

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 28, 2018, 05:00:19 PM
There must be something quite liberating for a comedian having nothing to lose.

For sure. I wonder if he'll become a filthy live-only act now. Like a US Sadowitz.

jobotic

Quote from: Terryfuckwit on December 28, 2018, 05:23:28 PM
I loved it

It's good that he can be used as a badge of honour for people wanting to look dangerous.

Weren't you one of those dismissing his accusers before the truth came out? He lied to you man.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: jobotic on December 28, 2018, 06:44:15 PM
It's good that he can be used as a badge of honour for people wanting to look dangerous.

Weren't you one of those dismissing his accusers before the truth came out? He lied to you man.

Infact, long before the article I was saying I was going to assume the accusations were true and not care. Horrid as you may find that.

'Why do black men have big dicks?'
'Cos they do, and they used to. It's not exactly the kind of trait that gets fucked out of a race.'

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 28, 2018, 05:36:16 PM
For sure. I wonder if he'll become a filthy live-only act now. Like a US Sadowitz.

Why would he do that? He self releases his stuff himself anyway?

'If you got rid of all Orphans then we'd be overran with rats, or whatever they eat. I don't know what orphans eat.'

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Terryfuckwit on December 28, 2018, 06:55:50 PM
Why would he do that? He self releases his stuff himself anyway?

Because releasing his material opens it up to a wider audience and could cause even more controversy for him.

Thursday

The thing is, carrying on like it's not a big deal is bad.

If he was going the complete opposite direction and he was all woke and philosophical now, that would also be very bad.

He should just fuck off.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: Thursday on December 28, 2018, 07:56:13 PM
The thing is, carrying on like it's not a big deal is bad.

If he was going the complete opposite direction and he was all woke and philosophical now, that would also be very bad.

He should just fuck off.

You fuck off from his existence. Sorry dude thats how it works

Thursday

He doesn't even know me, and I didn't have any plans to meet him, so I don't think I need to.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: Thursday on December 28, 2018, 09:38:12 PM
He doesn't even know me, and I didn't have any plans to meet him, so I don't think I need to.

So what problem do.you have with him continuing his job? Or is his job too fun?