Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:46:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK returns to comedy after wankbeast shenanigans [split topic]

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: rm2kmaster on January 11, 2019, 08:42:31 AM
Jesus christ this forum really is full of try hard cunts.

I agree. We should both leave. You go first

Cuellar

Obel

I think if there is one thing this thread has taught us is that it is a very binary issue and no nuance is allowed.

That almost always means "I'm huffy that people don't seem to agree with me"

It's not that nuance isn't allowed. Very often it's just ignored, because there isn't much to add. They nuance themselves out of existence. Extreme, binary opinions get more reactions and therefore have more currency on internet forums. I don't make the rules.

Sin Agog

Pretty fascinating debate between Judd Apatow and Pete Holmes & Jim Norton about this subject here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2NS4WM6pBcM

I do kind of wonder if a lot of comedians' reactions boil down to the varying attitudes of the New York and L.A. comedy scenes.  Was reading a book about how the gritty, emotional theatre schools from which Method found life had trouble penetrating the Hollywood bubble until the soon-to-be blacklisted John Garfield broke it.  Seems like that schism never went away.

Noodle Lizard

It's worth remembering that LA/West Coast comedians tend to be far more involved in Hollywood and other aspects of the entertainment industry.  If they're anything like the young'uns, a lot of them got into it as a stepping stone to get movie or TV work.  It's not at all surprising that they're generally more preoccupied with good PR and sometimes outright pandering than being "a comedian" through and through, seeing comedy itself as both a means and an end, which seems to be the default among the New York lot.  Louis has been beloved by and belonged to both camps, I suppose.

neardark

If Louis loves making women watch him wank then he's probably wanking over the fact that lots of women he hasn't even met have now imagined him wanking.

up_the_hampipe

Louis has been doing shows in California this week, doubling down on his previous material and now explicitly acknowledging his wankbeast reputation https://pagesix.com/2019/01/17/louis-c-k-continues-to-joke-about-sexual-harassment-and-parkland/

Crabwalk

"The whole point of comedy is to say things that you shouldn't say. That's the entire point."

Did he get that piece of wisdom from Gervais?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 18, 2019, 12:14:46 PM
"The whole point of comedy is to say things that you shouldn't say. That's the entire point."

That's the Keystone Kops fucked then.

Crabwalk

It's one of the most risible, self-serving pieces of bollocks I've ever heard.

Notice how 'speaking the truth' doesn't factor into his equation any more. Funny that.

jobotic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 18, 2019, 12:14:46 PM

Did he get that piece of wisdom from Gervais?

Should probably start a thread about this but I hate this line of thinking. The entire point of comedy is to make you laugh, anything else is a style of comedy. Saying things you shouldnt say is a style of comedy, not the point of it. "Velcro, what a rip off!" Is that not comedy because it's not saying the unsayable? Pretentious twat.

It's a small step from that sort of bollocks to "I'm a comedian, that's my job..." If I ever hear that come out of someones mouth I know I can safely stop listening to them. "I had to say that really mean thing to that shop assistant so I could tell people about it afterwards, I'm a comedian, that's my job!" It's usually used as an excuse for shitty behaviour. Your only job as a comedian is to make people laugh. If you want to do something else with it, go for it, just don't try and dress up your shitty behaviour as something you have to do because of the way you are employed. "I have joke Tourette's, I can't help but say these things, I'm a comedian, that's my job!"

MortSahlFan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 18, 2019, 11:38:44 AM
Louis has been doing shows in California this week, doubling down on his previous material and now explicitly acknowledging his wankbeast reputation https://pagesix.com/2019/01/17/louis-c-k-continues-to-joke-about-sexual-harassment-and-parkland/
Good.. I also love how quickly they sell out.

watching louis rack up the box office numbers with a big smile on my face like a normal person

madhair60

I made a fairly innocuous comment about this on Twitter and now a random person is explaining comedy to me. Do people just name search Louis C.K to respond to even the most oblique criticisms

Artemis

This is becoming quite interesting, and complicated. Among the issues are whether a comedian should give top-tier deference to offence taken, or whether those who take offence should make better decisions about what they listen to, or watch.

Thursday

It's good how comedians get to defend their work by saying that what they do is is about challenging people, and society, with these profound, transcendent, shocking truths while also being able to go "ha! lighten up it's just a joke!"

imitationleather

Quote from: MortSahlFan on January 09, 2019, 11:45:54 PM
CK asked for permission to wank, got consent...

Oh shit, I didn't know that actually worked. I am going to have to try this out on some women I know myself!

Hank Venture

https://www.thedailybeast.com/louis-ck-doubles-down-with-jokes-on-on-911-retarded-kids-and-racial-tropes

"When Louis C.K. stepped onstage to a standing ovation and a full house at a San Jose comedy club Wednesday night, he got right to the point:

"I like to jerk off, and I don't like being alone."

Simple and without a trace of apology; it got a good laugh."

Evidence number #213921513251 that the extremely online Twitter crowd don't represent the population at large. It's easy to forget that.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Hank Venture on January 20, 2019, 11:11:51 AM
Evidence number #213921513251 that the extremely online Twitter crowd don't represent the population at large. It's easy to forget that.

Yes, comforting to know that people will applaud a remorseless sexual deviant.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Artemis on January 18, 2019, 04:39:46 PM
This is becoming quite interesting, and complicated. Among the issues are whether a comedian should give top-tier deference to offence taken, or whether those who take offence should make better decisions about what they listen to, or watch.

That's a melon scratcher.