Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:29:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK returns to comedy after wankbeast shenanigans [split topic]

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 03:06:36 PM
I already know plenty about psychology, thank you.  For example, your avatar tells me a lot about your worldview and attitude towards others (also; your dubious taste in film).

Hehe oh fuck me, thats glorious. Yep, definitely need to go back to school. Want to respond to my other post where I mention that he has a history of wanking in front of women he had no power over?

Hank Venture

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 20, 2019, 02:47:30 PM
I'm sorry but you're conflating several different groups of people there

?

Nanette is literally brought up as an argument by a protestor talking to someone who is paying to see Louis in the article I linked to.

but in the rest of your post you seem to be using that to generalise the broader ambivalence about Louis CK. it's not one big amorphous outrage mob, that's a convenient fiction

My advice would be to just ignore the protesters, as Louis clearly is and it doesn't look like he's going to stop anytime soon. just enjoy it! nobody's stopping you from enjoying this stuff

St_Eddie

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 20, 2019, 03:13:23 PM
Want to respond to my other post where I mention that he has a history of wanking in front of women he had no power over?

Sure; it was a selection of words arranged to form a sentence.  You can't argue with that.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Hank Venture on January 20, 2019, 01:33:44 PM

At some point, if you are against the idea of redemption in art...

I think thats part of the problem, hes not going for redemption through art, hes going for definance, hes really giving off the impression that he didnt do anything wrong. The first time he mentions on stage what happened he goes with "I like to wank and dont like to be alone" (paraphrasing), thats his idea of redemption.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 03:22:30 PM
Sure; it was a selection of words arranged to form a sentence.  You can't argue with that.

Got any psychological insights towards someone who cant concede or argue a fair point and uses passive aggressiveness and attempts at humour instead?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 20, 2019, 03:26:04 PM
I think thats part of the problem, hes not going for redemption through art, hes going for definance, hes really giving off the impression that he didnt do anything wrong. The first time he mentions on stage what happened he goes with "I like to wank and dont like to be alone" (paraphrasing), thats his idea of redemption.

It definitely looks like he doesn't think he did anything wrong, probably assisted by the fact that he asked before he did what he did and that he didn't go to jail. He probably lumps himself in with people who have got fired after saying something small and twatty on Twitter.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 20, 2019, 03:28:11 PM
Got any psychological insights towards someone who cant concede or argue a fair point and uses passive aggressiveness and attempts at humour instead?

Yes.  That passive aggressive and painfully unfunny person is me.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 20, 2019, 03:30:46 PM
It definitely looks like he doesn't think he did anything wrong, probably assisted by the fact that he asked before he did what he did and that he didn't go to jail. He probably lumps himself in with people who have got fired after saying something small and twatty on Twitter.

It comes across like he was caught doing something embarrassing rather than caught doing something wrong.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 20, 2019, 03:18:01 PM
but in the rest of your post you seem to be using that to generalise the broader ambivalence about Louis CK. it's not one big amorphous outrage mob, that's a convenient fiction

My advice would be to just ignore the protesters, as Louis clearly is and it doesn't look like he's going to stop anytime soon. just enjoy it! nobody's stopping you from enjoying this stuff

From what I hear from people like Janeane Garofalo (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y--q-KuJm6w) Louis hasn't ignored a single second of the fall-out from making several women feel supremely uncomfortable.  He just isn't displaying that turmoil on the public stage.  I know from certain feelings bubbling away in me that this is what niggles a lot of us- these people's lives are part of a movie we co-scripted, and we want to see every tear and shouting match play out onscreen before our eyes.  As it is, it feels like we've just cut past some of the most dramatic scenes, and much of the outrage stems from the subsequent feelings of dissatisfaction.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 03:34:16 PM
Yes.  That passive aggressive and painfully unfunny person is me.

So no, then. Nice worldview.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 20, 2019, 03:39:36 PM
So no, then. Nice worldview.

What other insights would you care for?  I'm a sad little depressive sap, with little to no hope of succeeding in life, not least of all because I lack the gumption to get up and make something of myself and instead waste my time engaging in petty debate, with someone I'll never meet, on the Internet.  Is that insightful enough for you, or should I go on?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 20, 2019, 03:38:24 PM
From what I hear from people like Janeane Garofalo (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y--q-KuJm6w) Louis hasn't ignored a single second of the fall-out from making several women feel supremely uncomfortable.  He just isn't displaying that turmoil on the public stage.  I know from certain feelings bubbling away in me that this is what niggles a lot of us- these people's lives are part of a movie we co-scripted, and we want to see every tear and shouting match play out onscreen before our eyes.  As it is, it feels like we've just cut past some of the most dramatic scenes, and much of the outrage stems from the subsequent feelings of dissatisfaction.

The problem is, hes a public figure who relies on the public for his income. When shit went down, he had to make a statement to the public.  Is it that unreasonable to expect him to mention it in public now?  Especially when honesty and talking about his life are such a big part of his act and persona amx when he wants that public to start supporting him again.

up_the_hampipe

I would still love to know the story behind him pushing a woman into a bathroom. My first impression was that he was joking around and it went wrong, but he seemed to feel guilty enough to reach out and apologise for it years later, even if it was the wrong woman.

St_Eddie

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 20, 2019, 03:48:08 PM
...he seemed to feel guilty enough to reach out and apologise for it years later, even if it was the wrong woman.

I hate it when that happens!  I'm forever apologising to the wrong people.

Sin Agog

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 20, 2019, 03:44:38 PM
The problem is, hes a public figure who relies on the public for his income. When shit went down, he had to make a statement to the public.  Is it that unreasonable to expect him to mention it in public now?  Especially when honesty and talking about his life are such a big part of his act and persona amx when he wants that public to start supporting him again.

Yeah, it is a bit unreasonable.  Or if it isn't, then maybe we should at least be asking ourselves what kind of void in our lives we're filling by turning these flawed and venal stars on Mt. Olympus into our toy soldiers.  Oy...so many mixed metaphors.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 03:42:55 PM
What other insights would you care for?  I'm a sad little depressive sap, with little to no hope of succeeding in life, not least of all because I lack the gumption to get up and make something of myself and instead waste my time engaging in petty debate, with someone I'll never meet, on the Internet.  Is that insightful enough for you, or should I go on?

You forgot self-loathing.

Mango Chimes

From what I hear from people like Janeane Garofalo (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y--q-KuJm6w) Louis hasn't ignored a single second of the fall-out from making several women feel supremely uncomfortable.

That clip doesn't support your statement.

not really, much of the outrage is because of the acts he is reported to have done. I know it's very fashionable now in this post-irony world to assume that all outrage is pathological or performative, but isn't there the hint of possibility that people simply don't like seeing a rich, powerful person causing harm and essentially getting away with it? does the broad interpretation have to be more complicated than that?

it seems that nobody believes that moral opposition can be genuinely organic anymore. everyone is a cynic. they won

St_Eddie

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 04:00:33 PM
Fine.

I'm also self-loathing.

Are we done now?

God I hope so. Clearly cant have a debate or conversation without you getting all pissy.

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 20, 2019, 03:51:44 PM
Yeah, it is a bit unreasonable.  Or if it isn't, then maybe we should at least be asking ourselves what kind of void in our lives we're filling by turning these stars on Mt. Olympus into our toy soldiers.  Oy...so many mixed metaphors.

Thats not really got much to do with it. If its such a private matter why did he make a public statement in the first place? Probably because he needed to get the public on his side so he could carry on making a living off them. Now its becoming clear he can carry on making a living so he has no need to pretend to apologise in public. Still not sure why it's unreasonable to want a public figure to talk publicly about something that effects his situation with the public after he made a public statement of wrongdoing. Its not like its some guy youve heard stories about at the end of the street you don't know and don't give money to.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 20, 2019, 03:54:37 PM
not really, much of the outrage is because of the acts he is reported to have done. I know it's very fashionable now in this post-irony world to assume that all outrage is pathological or performative, but isn't there the hint of possibility that people simply don't like seeing a rich, powerful person causing harm and essentially getting away with it? does the broad interpretation have to be more complicated than that?

it seems that nobody believes that moral opposition can be genuinely organic anymore. everyone is a cynic. they won

I guess it depends on our definitions of getting away with it.  If I'd been publicly hung, drawn and quartered the way he has (for his own actions, I know), I probably wouldn't have made it out the other side.  Quietly going to jail like an average Joe sex offender would be nothing by comparison, depending on how Louis really took it, which I canne say.  He seems too thinky to be a guiltless sociopath. By the way, my conclusion was drawn from dissecting my own reactions, as I said.

Also, yes, there are always deeper reasons behind our vehement interest in wanting to see others punished.  Like, you're apparently in a lot of pain right now with your ear problems, so perhaps you want to see others feel some of what you're feeling? Not the guiltless, but this avowed transgressor looks like he's having it far too easy, so why not him?

St_Eddie

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 20, 2019, 04:04:01 PM
God I hope so. Clearly cant have a debate or conversation without you getting all pissy.

I only get pissy at those who invite it.

Sin Agog

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 20, 2019, 04:04:01 PM

Thats not really got much to do with it. If its such a private matter why did he make a public statement in the first place? Probably because he needed to get the public on his side so he could carry on making a living off them. Now its becoming clear he can carry on making a living so he has no need to pretend to apologise in public. Still not sure why it's unreasonable to want a public figure to talk publicly about something that effects his situation with the public after he made a public statement of wrongdoing. Its not like its some guy youve heard stories about at the end of the street you don't know and don't give money to.

That statement was clearly some dishonest damage control.  Also, probably bad advice from his P.R. people.  I think one of the reasons why people who show no remorse for their offences, like Trump, often get left to carry on relatively unhindered, is their lack of pain is useless to our vampiric natures when it comes to the showbiz elect.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 20, 2019, 04:15:24 PM
That statement was clearly some dishonest damage control.  Also, probably bad advice from his P.R. people.  I think one of the reasons why people who show no remorse for their offenses, like Trump, get left to carry on relatively unhindered, is their lack of pain is useless to our vampiric natures when it comes to the showbiz elect.

Well yeah, he clearly never meant it, but he felt like he had to do it. So why not feel the same need to tell his redemption story? Unless he feels he has nothing to be redeemed for. It seemed like it was being framed as 'poor Louie has been suffering in private, hes just not showing it publicly so let him get on with it'.

chveik

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 20, 2019, 03:11:30 PM
CK is a weird one though, hes always given off the appearance of the thoughtful, sensitive, artist and has always seemed left leaning in his politics and views,  but at the same time can go on O&A and fit right in with the right wing idiots there and is good friends with the likes of Nick Di Paolo.  Ive always found it hard to get a good read of him as a person.

right wing with his mates, progressive for the general public. wouldn't be the first one to do that.

Sin Agog

I think there's a scene in Horace & Pete with Di Paolo in it (as the ranty old-school Italian Conservative he is) which addresses being friends with the odd right-winger.  I can't remember if the conclusion was 'don't talk politics' or 'be a centrist.'

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2019, 03:49:32 PM
I hate it when that happens!  I'm forever apologising to the wrong people.

That's what happens when you mistreat so many people. Be nicer, Eddie!

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 20, 2019, 04:26:51 PM
I think there's a scene in Horace & Pete with Di Paolo in it (as the ranty old-school Italian Conservative he is) which addresses him being friends with the odd right-winger.

It's an episode of Louie. They get into a fight over their opposing beliefs at the Comedy Cellar and end up at the hospital.