Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:04:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK returns to comedy after wankbeast shenanigans [split topic]

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: Sin Agog link=topic=68831.msg3718199#msg3718199 date=154800041.
Quietly going to jail like an average Joe sex offender would be nothing by comparison, depending on how Louis really took it, which I canne say. 

seriously? life doesn't really seem easy for a sex offender in jail. but who gives a fuck about their feelings? they don't have the sensitivity of the tremendous artist Louis CK.

Sin Agog

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 20, 2019, 04:27:34 PM
That's what happens when you mistreat so many people. Be nicer, Eddie!

It's an episode of Louie. They get into a fight over their opposing beliefs at the Comedy Cellar and end up at the hospital.

No, I was definitely thinking of Horace and Pete.  You know when Di Paolo gets into it with Kurt Metzger* at the bar?

*who incidentally in real life is more of a trashy libertarian

Sin Agog

Quote from: chveik on January 20, 2019, 04:32:01 PM
seriously? life doesn't really seem easy for a sex offender in jail. but who gives a fuck about their feelings? they don't have the sensitivity of the tremendous artist Louis CK.

Well, I think of the offenders' feelings, too.  Got caught down a pitfall of a conversation with a neighbour this morning, in which I voiced the opinion that a paedophile may just possibly be born with a predisposition to that sexual preference, and it's only when they act upon it that they truly become the horror shows that they are.  But everyone deserves our compassion from the top down.  Everyone.

And yeah, having the whole world talk about the shit you did which you shouldn't have, and then looking your family in the eye afterwards, is a very unique kind of punishment.  I'd choose the jail.

EDIT:   By the way, I am dead sure what I'm doing here is extending a hand out to a guy I've spent more time with in a way I wouldn't necessarily do with, say, Jacob Rees Mogg. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to look into the motivations and back-stories of people we could easily write off in one word.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 20, 2019, 04:34:08 PM
No, I was definitely thinking of Horace and Pete.  You know when Di Paolo gets into it with Kurt Metzger* at the bar?

*who incidentally in real life is more of a trashy libertarian

Oh okay, i forgot about that. Still, both explain his complicated relationship with DiPaolo.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 20, 2019, 04:18:52 PM
So why not feel the same need to tell his redemption story?

Maybe nobody has offered him enough money for it. Maybe he hasn't finished writing it yet. Maybe the redemption story is incompatible with his public persona. Maybe he doesn't think anyone wants to hear it. Maybe he's incapable of writing the story.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 20, 2019, 04:44:55 PM
the last one appears to be the case

Incapable how? Like you think he doesn't have enough empathy or he's just not a good enough writer? The latter certainly wouldn't be true.

If it isn't true he could prove it

I simply think that he lacks the focus to pull it off, and frankly who could blame him given the context he finds himself in.

I would also say, if I could throw one more bomb in here, that many people here do not seem to know the difference between nuance and equivocation

St_Eddie

up_the_hampipe

Louis offered some advice at a show this week:

Quote"If you ever ask somebody, 'Can I [masturbate] in front of you?' and they say 'Yes, you may,' just say 'Are you sure?' ... And then if they say yes, just still don't do it."

https://www.tampabay.com/stage/louis-ck-in-tampa-no-phones-no-protests-no-saying-the-word-parkland-20190207/?template=amp

rasta-spouse

I'd quite like to see the financial lay-out of how he lost $30 million in one day. Was it money that was owed to him in cancelled tv contracts, or investments of his own money that fell through? Just curious.

Petey Pate

Squink

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 11, 2019, 03:57:55 PM
I'd quite like to see the financial lay-out of how he lost $30 million in one day. Was it money that was owed to him in cancelled tv contracts, or investments of his own money that fell through? Just curious.

Profit he expected to make from that shit movie he had coming out?

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 11, 2019, 04:23:56 PM
Even though that's a joke, it's hard to shake the impression that he doesn't really think his actions were that big a deal.

Or if nothing else, he knows that the only audience he has left going forward doesn't think it's a big deal.

EDIT: I'm thinking it's both though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Squink on February 11, 2019, 05:52:30 PM
Profit he expected to make from that shit movie he had coming out?

He lost various jobs at FX, like being a co-writer / producer on Better Things, and they made it clear that even if he wanted to make another series of Louie they wouldn't fund it, and I think there was other tv work too.

selectivememory

I think Netflix were going to pay him silly money for his next special as well.

And, judging from the way he operated, he'd probably made investments to the tune of the money he was expecting.

MortSahlFan

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: MortSahlFan on February 12, 2019, 12:59:06 AM
I wish someone somehow would leak an upcoming show.

How much more faggot douche retard "oh man that's fucked up" can you stand?

McFlymo

I am not sensing much guilt from him and then, it seems he pulled a Ricky Gervais in not acknowledging trans / non-binary pronouns too. Cutting edge stuff. #cancelled.

phantom_power

I can't remember if there is a separate Aziz Ansari thread but it seems that, contrary to opinion, he hasn't joined the backlash against metoo or "wokeness" or whatever you call it and seems to have taken the accusations against him on board to some degree:

https://news.avclub.com/aziz-ansari-addresses-sexual-misconduct-allegation-on-s-1832563513

Obviously this all could just be manoeuvring to still appeal to his woke fanbase but I am trying not to be too cynical about it

rasta-spouse

QuoteObviously this all could just be manoeuvring

All the #cancelled types must be going into meetings with big PR guys discussing how long they should take a powder for (and how they should behave in the meantime), mustn't they?

Now that would make great tv.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 13, 2019, 06:55:07 PM
All the #cancelled types must be going into meetings with big PR guys discussing how long they should take a powder for (and how they should behave in the meantime), mustn't they?

Now that would make great tv.

Can't tell if you're making a callback to an ongoing thread that I can't find, but anyway: https://w.uktv.co.uk/flack/video/new-flack-trailer/

chveik

I don't know how to make those Grabs stuff, but seeing this thread next to "Needing new friends" made me smile.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: phantom_power on February 13, 2019, 01:52:55 PM
I can't remember if there is a separate Aziz Ansari thread but it seems that, contrary to opinion, he hasn't joined the backlash against metoo or "wokeness" or whatever you call it and seems to have taken the accusations against him on board to some degree:

https://news.avclub.com/aziz-ansari-addresses-sexual-misconduct-allegation-on-s-1832563513

Obviously this all could just be manoeuvring to still appeal to his woke fanbase but I am trying not to be too cynical about it

I'd like to not be cynical too, but he's still not really admitted to any wrongdoing. It's still all "it was completely consensual", "It made me think about a lot, and I hope I've become a better person." but without ever saying what it was he thought about, "If that has made not just me, but other guys think about this," Ansari said, "and just be more thoughtful and aware and willing to go that extra mile, and make sure someone else is comfortable in that moment, that's a good thing." is trying to spread the blame and say it's not just him that acts like this. It still all feels very non-committal. Or maybe that article is all crib notes and he does talk about it a little more, I'd like to hope so. He hasn't shown the kind of utter lack of remorse that CK does anyway.

Bennett Brauer

CK and Ansari should invoke the Jim-Norton-said-it-would-be-fine defence.