Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:34:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK returns to comedy after wankbeast shenanigans [split topic]

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Well now we know once and for all that routinely pulling things out will eventually lead to pulling out of routines.

Quote from: Ornlu on May 15, 2019, 02:07:32 PM
I'm not. He's my favourite living comedian. And now I've wasted money on advance train tickets.

I just canceled my train tickets, though annoyingly there's a £10 charge and I have to send the fuckers back, now!

Oh well... maybe we can take some sort of solace in this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_-1l_SlA7c

Terryfuckwit

Toby Jones should feel like a prick. 'weeks of deliberation' and then cancels 2 days in.

Josef K

No sympathy for anyone who's lost out on this tbh.

Imagine knowing someone is an actual danger to their work colleagues and thinking "I'm going to support his continued employment"

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Josef K on May 15, 2019, 04:24:13 PM

Imagine knowing someone is an actual danger to their work colleagues and thinking "I'm going to support his continued employment"

Danger! Danger! High wankage!

lipsink

sponk

Wouldn't it be better for a group of protestors to turn up with air horns and let them off before every punchline?

Terryfuckwit

Hahaha

lipsink

Quote from: sponk on May 15, 2019, 04:31:07 PM
Wouldn't it be better for a group of protestors to turn up with air horns and let them off before every punchline?

Or just before every punchline make cum noises.

Cuellar

grassbath

For me at least, it's not about supporting his continued employment. It's about the opportunity for a first hand experience and making my own mind up how I feel about something.

NoSleep

grassbath

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: grassbath on May 15, 2019, 05:45:37 PM
For me at least, it's not about supporting his continued employment. It's about the opportunity for a first hand experience and making my own mind up how I feel about something.

But didn't his abhorrent set which leaked in December give you the chance to do that?

There's something I really like about the phrase 'wankbeast.' but I can't quite get a handle on it.

Bronzy

I mean he did ask for permission

You don't ask you don't get and all that

alan nagsworth

Quote from: grassbath on May 15, 2019, 05:52:03 PM
Whether his comedy is still any good.

So, what, you come out of the show having laughed a bunch of times and decide you're gonna let him off the hook for multiple cases of sexual assault?

Or failing that, in the instance of just wanting to gauge it for yourself despite having no further interest in supporting him as an artist because he committed multiple cases of sexual assault, you want to ... uhh, basically go and see if this shamed writer is still writing decent material? But still supporting him as an artist and giving him the attention he desires in the process?

I find both sides of this morally questionable to say the least.

whatabulb

didn't he get consent from the other fully grown adults involved.

quite the development if that turns out to be entirely irrelevant!

Quote from: whatabulb on May 15, 2019, 06:24:43 PM
didn't he get consent from the other fully grown adults involved.

why do people keep saying this

NoSleep

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 15, 2019, 06:22:58 PM
So, what, you come out of the show having laughed a bunch of times and decide you're gonna let him off the hook for multiple cases of sexual assault?

Or failing that, in the instance of just wanting to gauge it for yourself despite having no further interest in supporting him as an artist because he committed multiple cases of sexual assault, you want to ... uhh, basically go and see if this shamed writer is still writing decent material? But still supporting him as an artist and giving him the attention he desires in the process?

Like breaking a boycott of apartheid South Africa to see if their fruit tasted any good.

rue the polywhirl

But Louis CK isn't really a jerkbeast anymore so it would be like visiting South Africa after they stopped being apartheid.

NoSleep

He hasn't stopped being anything. He was rumbled and finally confessed after a long period of denial.

grassbath

More the second one. I'm interested in seeing a formerly highly acclaimed comedian post-fall from grace. Sorry - that's just how I feel about it. I don't feel that to admit that equates to a denigration of his victims, or coming out in support of sexual assault.

Sin Agog

Taking a moral stance on Louis C.K. is perfectly laudable and spiffy, but it's when we start to take a moral stance on other people's moral stances that we really start to leave terra firma.

chveik

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 15, 2019, 07:48:42 PM
Taking a moral stance on Louis C.K. is perfectly laudable and spiffy, but it's when we start to take a moral stance on other people's moral stances that we really start to leave terra firma.

why not? that's the reason of ethics's existence.

Sin Agog

Aside from the fact that it so often turns ostensibly similar and likeminded people into craven paranoiacs- see third act of Treasure of the Sierra Madre, except with a cast of thousands- it also casts shade on anyone not responding the same way as you, as if they've osmosed some of Louis' guilt onto themselves.  This is not a healthy way of interacting with one another.  Giving people post-mortems while they're still alive to find every possible way they're different than us, rather than the things we have in common.

Terryfuckwit

He's still funny and I don't think what he did was so heinous  which is why I wanted to go and why my disappointment is so enjoyable for youse