Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:50:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK returns to comedy after wankbeast shenanigans [split topic]

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 16, 2019, 08:06:30 PM
Also wasn't there an account of him jerking off during a phone conversation without the consent of the other party?

Masturbating during a phone call doesn't really sound like a big deal, but he was trying to initiate phone sex with a woman who just called him to offer a spot on her show. Very twisted behaviour, that story is probably the worst in terms of how it paints him. There's also the Laura Silverman stories.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 16, 2019, 08:45:03 PM
Masturbating during a phone call doesn't really sound like a big deal

try it with a female friend!

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 16, 2019, 08:45:03 PM
Masturbating during a phone call doesn't really sound like a big deal

As I told those women in the lift, during my call.

up_the_hampipe

I've really made a wankbeast of myself with that wording.

Cold Meat Platter

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a wank at her."

Mr Faineant

Has anyone ever had a wank at home, and then a few minutes later the doorbell rang, and you ignored it because you were scared you were going to get told off for wanking, even though it was impossible for anyone else to know?

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: Mr Faineant on May 16, 2019, 09:47:23 PM
Has anyone ever had a wank at home, and then a few minutes later the doorbell rang, and you ignored it because you were scared you were going to get told off for wanking, even though it was impossible for anyone else to know?

Louis actually had a joke about going outside too soon after you've masturbated. If we knew then...

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Terryfuckwit on May 16, 2019, 10:07:32 PM
Louis actually had a joke about going outside too soon after you've masturbated. If we knew then...

Doesn't he also have a bit about getting a phone call while masturbating, being told that a friend had died, then hanging up and finishing the wank?

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 16, 2019, 10:10:57 PM
Doesn't he also have a bit about getting a phone call while masturbating, being told that a friend had died, then hanging up and finishing the wank?

Hahaha it rings a bell

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 16, 2019, 06:08:03 PM
Yes.  No-one was better known for their perception of degrees of moral nuance and ambiguity.

This comment has been bothering me for a few days...I don't really understand the criticism.

For some people, the holocaust was unambiguously immoral. Hitler wasn't so sure.

For some people, buying a Louis Ck ticket is unambiguously immoral. I'm not so sure*.

Therefore, as I said, I worry that I'm like some sort of Hitler, suffering with a poor grasp of unambiguous morality.

I'm sure there is a better and more relevant comparison, but I think this one does the trick, no?

*I've had new info since then, so may no longer be valid.

i don't think it's so much that Hitler was ambivalent about the holocaust, but rather that he thought it was unambiguously Cool and Good

Squink

I'm not sure what you want from us here Mr Faineant. It sort of looks like you want us to say "yes, you are a lot like Hitler."

alan nagsworth

What's the name of that fucking rule about when internet discussions inevitably somehow turn into Hitler/holocaust analogies? My god, this thread

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 17, 2019, 08:26:20 PM
What's the name of that fucking rule about when internet discussions inevitably somehow turn into Hitler/holocaust analogies?

Godwin's Law?

OrangeGoblin

Not sure if its already been brought up earlier in the thread, but i saw people asking how he could ever get off wanking in front of women. 

I think part of where it comes from is shown in the episode of Louie where he meets up with the girl he used to fancy in school. They go to the woods and the girl he fancies repeatedly demands he "whip it out", but he never does.

Not saying i agree with what he did, but i reckon thats when the seeds were sown.

Noodle Lizard

Lots of people have weird quirks and fetishes which derive back to something from childhood or early adolescence or whatever.  I guess if you combine one of those with the power and popularity someone like Louis CK had back in the day, you'll get results a bit like these.

Part of me does wonder whether it'd be different if he'd simply asked them to fuck him (i.e. a "normal" thing people do and ask of each other) rather than anything "kinky", despite the fact that it's actually a far less invasive act on paper.  I can't help but think a big element of the more extreme reaction to CK's actions is people's instinctive revulsion at the unusual image of him - already a traditionally "gross" guy - wanking in front of some girl who couldn't say no.  I think someone in this thread even said it'd be more understandable or forgivable if he'd actually pressured them into sex, which is a pretty bizarre take to me.  Anyway, as for all this recent stuff, ultimately it's up to the promoters whether they want to put him up or not.  And if they bow to public pressure, then there you go. 

Meanwhile, in the comedy world alone you have people like Russell Brand actively sending people into the audience to recruit girls to "meet him in his dressing room" or Dane Cook being a well-known creep who routinely tries to convince women to fuck him while their boyfriend/husband waits, but there was more of a story with CK at that time.  Being "sexy" and using your fame to coerce members of the public into blowing you is still less grimy than being approached by a fat ginger co-worker asking to jerk off in front of you, after all.  Plus, he was at the peak of his career, winning awards left and right, about to premiere his first "proper" movie - which is the more attractive headline?

up_the_hampipe

Johnny Vegas also has plenty of footage where he assaults uncomfortable/embarrassed members of the audience. If it's "character comedy" I guess that's different too.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 17, 2019, 10:16:17 PM
Meanwhile, in the comedy world alone you have people like Russell Brand actively sending people into the audience to recruit girls to "meet him in his dressing room" or Dane Cook being a well-known creep who routinely tries to convince women to fuck him while their boyfriend/husband waits...

Do you have a source for these two things?  I don't doubt you but I'd simply care to read a firsthand account.  I've had a quick perusal on Google but sadly, no joy.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 18, 2019, 12:09:01 AM
Johnny Vegas also has plenty of footage where he assaults uncomfortable/embarrassed members of the audience. If it's "character comedy" I guess that's different too.

I always found that to be troublesome and upsetting.  Either way, I don't think you can absolve the actions of Louis CK, by way of pointing towards other people who've done objectionable things and saying "well, they got away with it".

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 18, 2019, 12:09:01 AM

Rod Hull and Emu?

St_Eddie

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 18, 2019, 05:49:40 AM
I always found that to be troublesome and upsetting.  Either way, I don't think you can absolve the actions of Louis CK, by way of pointing towards other people who've done objectionable things and saying "well, they got away with it".

That's not really what I was trying to do.

Theremin

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 18, 2019, 05:49:40 AM
Do you have a source for these two things?  I don't doubt you but I'd simply care to read a firsthand account.  I've had a quick perusal on Google but sadly, no joy.

I've met couple of women who were 'plucked' out of the audience by one of Brand's helpers. One who rejected the advance, one who didn't.

kngen

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 17, 2019, 10:16:17 PM
Lots of people have weird quirks and fetishes which derive back to something from childhood or early adolescence or whatever.  I guess if you combine one of those with the power and popularity someone like Louis CK had back in the day, you'll get results a bit like these.

Part of me does wonder whether it'd be different if he'd simply asked them to fuck him (i.e. a "normal" thing people do and ask of each other) rather than anything "kinky", despite the fact that it's actually a far less invasive act on paper.  I can't help but think a big element of the more extreme reaction to CK's actions is people's instinctive revulsion at the unusual image of him - already a traditionally "gross" guy - wanking in front of some girl who couldn't say no.  I think someone in this thread even said it'd be more understandable or forgivable if he'd actually pressured them into sex, which is a pretty bizarre take to me.  Anyway, as for all this recent stuff, ultimately it's up to the promoters whether they want to put him up or not.  And if they bow to public pressure, then there you go. 

Meanwhile, in the comedy world alone you have people like Russell Brand actively sending people into the audience to recruit girls to "meet him in his dressing room" or Dane Cook being a well-known creep who routinely tries to convince women to fuck him while their boyfriend/husband waits, but there was more of a story with CK at that time.  Being "sexy" and using your fame to coerce members of the public into blowing you is still less grimy than being approached by a fat ginger co-worker asking to jerk off in front of you, after all.  Plus, he was at the peak of his career, winning awards left and right, about to premiere his first "proper" movie - which is the more attractive headline?

As a fan (or former fan, I guess), I think a lot of the criticism/disappointment/scandal comes from the fact that it gave lie to so much of his comedy, in which he was sensitive to the tribulations of women in regards to predatorial men ('where are we going?' ... 'to your death, statistically'; 'a blizzard of bad dicks' etc) and fairly withering about his own sexual prowess/attractiveness and that of men in general. Those stories about Dane Cook are completely unsurprising, given his stage persona. The stories about CK were shocking, and his 'apology' fell so short and was so myopic that it only served to underline how duplicitous a lot of his 'raw and honest observations' were. As one writer put it, he used his comedy to launder his appalling behaviour.

Theremin

The reason you may not find many accounts of Brand's behaviour online is that he's apparently fairly litigious.

Stand-up Ed Night had a mention of one of his female friends being targeted by Brand in last year's Edfringe show. I believe he mentioned that Brand had taken out an injunction against her, which led to him trying to spread the word as a 3rd-Party.

In short: Fuck Russell Brand.