Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:21:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK returns to comedy after wankbeast shenanigans [split topic]

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. logic

He apologied to more than one victim, I think. Though I'm basing that on my own inept memory. Wasn't there Facebook messages or something?

Squink

He obviously didn't apologise to everyone he did it to...

QuoteSome have said, "He just asked to jerk off in front of you, what's the big deal?" And I can't count how many times people have told me, "Well, he did say sorry." But he didn't. Admitting what you did, and justifying it with "I always asked first," is not the same as apologizing.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/louis-c-k-put-me-in-a-lose-lose-situation.html

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 29, 2018, 09:47:20 PMHe said that he "used to misread people" and emphasised in his statement that he always asked first (I know that's doesn't make any of this right, by the way).

The problem is , CK does think it makes it all right. Thats why it was a statement and not an apology.

Large Noise

The lack of apology in the more legally dubious cases is probably on the advice of his lawyers.

Terryfuckwit

If there is a perfect moral position, it's definitely somewhere in-between what I see to be the two extremes of opinion. One is people feeling he has committed an act so horrible that he should be permanently ashamed and not dare try to 'carry on moving forward' and feel his punishment should be to banish himself in tribute to his 'victims'. And the other extreme being my position not giving a fuck and not thinking what he did was all that bad.

Quote from: mr. logic on August 29, 2018, 09:54:03 PM
Apparently his set contained a joke about rape whistles.

Yeah. I think he still gets off on things like getting a laugh from the word "rape" despite being the guy ousted for sexual assault, like that alone proves a point. I mean, ok, I didn't hear the set but it doesn't sound like he's likely to grow from this experience, artistically or otherwise.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on August 30, 2018, 01:06:22 AM
Yeah. I think he still gets off on things like getting a laugh from the word "rape" despite being the guy ousted for sexual assault, like that alone proves a point. I mean, ok, I didn't hear the set but it doesn't sound like he's likely to grow this experience, artistically or otherwise.

And now, you've just created a hypothetical scenario you're gonna base your assumptions on.

EDIT: I suppose I've gotta respect the notion that if this experience really was so disheartening to the girls for that reason it'd be kinda morbid for him to mine for stand up material (as great as my interest would be) and since I want him to continue to do stand up I also see the positive to him not mentioning the story at all but to start censoring his subjects cos of it, i dunno, i just dont vibe with it man

Quote from: Terryfuckwit on August 30, 2018, 01:07:21 AM
And now, you've just created a hypothetical scenario you're gonna base your assumptions on.

I'm also basing it on the way he seemingly exhausted his bag of tricks years ago.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on August 30, 2018, 01:15:47 AM
I'm also basing it on the way he seemingly exhausted his bag of tricks years ago.

Well that's a matter of taste. I myself was a bit disappointed when I saw Content Provider and he did the 'clap with what you agree with' bit

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Terryfuckwit on August 30, 2018, 12:59:34 AM
If there is a perfect moral position, it's definitely somewhere in-between what I see to be the two extremes of opinion. One is people feeling he has committed an act so horrible that he should be permanently ashamed and not dare try to 'carry on moving forward' and feel his punishment should be to banish himself in tribute to his 'victims'. And the other extreme being my position not giving a fuck and not thinking what he did was all that bad.

There's a third position, which is prioritising the feelings and experience of his victims and the safety of his potential future victims.  Of listening to the women comedians sharing similar stories. Of realising that a comedy club is still a workplace and they're still often unsafe environments for women.  Of not really giving a fuck about CK's career but thinking of ruined careers and ongoing harassment of his victims and those who've condemned him.  This is a slap in the face and anyone equivocating about it should seriously be asking themselves why.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 29, 2018, 09:57:10 PM
Oh, I thought we were having a reasonable debate, then I noticed this snarky attempt to undermine my (admittedly hair-splitting) argument with an imagined conversation that may not accurately represent the events or CK's attitude about it.

I don't know why you're taking it so personally. I know I quoted you but I'm only partially addressing you. I'm attacking CK, not you.

St_Eddie

Quote from: c on August 29, 2018, 09:59:49 PM
Their being disturbed is neither here nor there. And that he always asked (if it's true) is everything. The sexism in all this is breathtaking. These are women and they're also ADULTS. Say no or walk away. Grow up.

People are acting as if these women are infants. It's just bizarre. All this noisy judging and harrumphing. I hope it's making everyone feel lovely and superior.

If feeling "superior" equates to not being a revolting little cunt, then yeah; I'm quite happy to count myself among that particular crowd.

That the women in question could have (and did) walk away is not the issue.  The issue is that a vile pervert put them in an uncomfortable position.  Why are you making excuses for that?

St_Eddie

Crabwalk

I recommend anyone attending a NY stand up show in the future to take a rotten tomato with them just in case someone makes a surprise appearance. Or some sort of custard gun.

jobotic

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 30, 2018, 08:04:49 AM
Never felt more "superior" in my life.  Fucking gross.

They could have chosen not to hear him. Right, c?

checkoutgirl

There seems to be loads of people who are 100% sure he asked permission in absolutely every case of "surprise masturbatory exhibitionism" committed by CK. So now we enter the court of Twitter, with 200,000 ill informed defending lawyers who haven't even glanced at the case notes but are approaching the judge to help CK out pro bono.

It seems people don't know what a crime is. If you murder someone over a packet of crisps and never get caught it appears that a good portion of the population think it's not a crime. When you're up against that level of forensic detail...

Why hasn't he been charged with a crime having admitted to wrong doing?

Cuellar

"I always asked first. Whether they answered is neither here nor there. Now watch me wank!"

Love the warm cosy feeling of superiority I get thinking about how a bald, overweight, ginger-haired middle-aged man with terrible facial hair wanking at upset women is bad. Best part of my day.

Chollis

The (blue)balls on this guy. He's been laying low for what, a year or less?

Brundle-Fly

M'lud, I'm wondering if during all these 'incidents' there was a pile of blow sat on the table indulged by everybody earlier in the evening. I suggest getting naked and having a Barclays in front of colleagues or friends does sound like the behaviour of someone who is off their face on Class As. Maybe that's why the issue has been skirted round in the past because everybody present would be implicated in genuine criminality?

hedgehog90

This feels like a slippery slope I'm going down, but I feel it's necessary to remind everyone that Dave Anthony's tweet on its own is hearsay and seemingly not a first hand account. It's also possible that it could have been misheard, misinterpreted or entirely made-up.
So calm down.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: hedgehog90 on August 30, 2018, 10:42:58 AM
This feels like a slippery slope I'm going down, but I feel it's necessary to remind everyone that Dave Anthony's tweet on its own is hearsay and seemingly not a first hand account. It's also possible that it could have been misheard, misinterpreted or entirely made-up.
So calm down.

That's what I thought. Maybe he did say that to the comedian. Perhaps, he was wielding a French vegetable knife and wearing a gimp mask at the time? Maybe the comedian he said it to is secretely a Nazi sympathiser? Who knows?  All these Twitter accusations are beginning to get really scary now because so many people don't question them and take it all at face value.

Cuellar

Quote from: hedgehog90 on August 30, 2018, 10:42:58 AM
So calm down.

Yeah could be. Feel he's done enough WITHOUT that tweet to deserve contempt, though.

Petey Pate

Louis CK isn't that evil guys because he didn't vote for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson.

up_the_hampipe

Jen Kirkman has done a long tweet thread about how she was treated following her links to the Louis stuff a few years ago. But she also says he said some sick things to her, but doesn't really elaborate. Maybe that's what Dave Anthony was talking about.