Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:09:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis CK returns to comedy after wankbeast shenanigans [split topic]

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: kngen on May 18, 2019, 09:41:37 PM
As a fan (or former fan, I guess), I think a lot of the criticism/disappointment/scandal comes from the fact that it gave lie to so much of his comedy, in which he was sensitive to the tribulations of women in regards to predatorial men ('where are we going?' ... 'to your death, statistically'; 'a blizzard of bad dicks' etc) and fairly withering about his own sexual prowess/attractiveness and that of men in general. Those stories about Dane Cook are completely unsurprising, given his stage persona. The stories about CK were shocking, and his 'apology' fell so short and was so myopic that it only served to underline how duplicitous a lot of his 'raw and honest observations' were. As one writer put it, he used his comedy to launder his appalling behaviour.

Yes. A large part of CK's appeal was his apparent honesty and decency. He could say terrible things with a smile and get away with it because we, his fans, were fooled into believing that he was a fundamentally good man. He was charming, self-deprecating and seemingly self-aware.

When it eventually transpired that he was, in fact, a serial sex offender, all of the above went up in smoke. Every comedian has a stage persona, of course, but when that persona is largely based on being open about yourself you can't then expect people to like or trust you when you're exposed (no pun intended) as a liar, a hypocrite and a scumbag.

The fact that he's probably still capable of being funny is neither here nor there, the persona he based his act on has been utterly destroyed. And that's his own fucking fault for being a wankbeast.

Quote from: Theremin on May 18, 2019, 09:44:10 PM
The reason you may not find many accounts of Brand's behaviour online is that he's apparently fairly litigious.

Stand-up Ed Night had a mention of one of his female friends being targeted by Brand in last year's Edfringe show. I believe he mentioned that Brand had taken out an injunction against her, which led to him trying to spread the word as a 3rd-Party.

In short: Fuck Russell Brand.

Fin Taylor has a story about Brand's management trying to use threats of legal action on his Edinburgh show, 40 mins in to this https://player.fm/series/men-behaving-better/separating-the-man-from-his-work-with-deborah-frances-white-bronagh-waugh-and-fin-taylor

I saw him do the bit at Soho Theatre so he obviously didn't back down

Edmonds

I remember Brand being in attendance at a Derren Brown gig years ago, sitting quite close to where I was sat. In the interval, he kind of mingled his way through the bar, and on at least one occasion, groped the backside of a woman who didn't know him then did this kind of wink "it's me, Russell Brand" look at her immediately afterwards. Came across like a right cunt.

mr. logic

The horrible 'Game' book about picking up women (since renounced by its author) has a lavish endorsement by Brand on its cover.

Quote from: Edmonds on May 19, 2019, 02:36:42 PM
I remember Brand being in attendance at a Derren Brown gig years ago, sitting quite close to where I was sat. In the interval, he kind of mingled his way through the bar, and on at least one occasion, groped the backside of a woman who didn't know him then did this kind of wink "it's me, Russell Brand" look at her immediately afterwards. Came across like a right cunt.

So not really so far apart from Jim Davidson.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Edmonds on May 19, 2019, 02:36:42 PM

Your avatar looks like Russell Brand just grabbed its arse.

garbed_attic

Interesting Hannah Gadsby interview on C.K. and Ansari etc.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/08/hannah-gadsby-louis-ck-path-to-redemption?fbclid=IwAR2GBKcprhsN_HjcDXYSLZ-ukfwDRtSO-nnAjz-wsJ9EjHnpdD58OQXRVqI

Quote"a long time Louis C.K.'s comedy platform was that he was this hopeless guy bumbling through the world ... And at some stage, he was no longer that, but that was still his voice. And I think he still believes that. He has not reassessed his position of power, and that is why he was able to abuse it. It's difficult to see a shift in your own power and privilege. It's not something we're trained to do. He still honestly thinks he's the victim in all of this.

I think this is really on-point and a good explanation for some of the misogyny I've encountered in male nerd culture. Thinking back upon my younger self, being relentlessly bullied at school, I certainly tended to see myself as a victim and so the idea that I had a lot of structural power and privilege (and, indeed, the capability to abuse that) would have been alien to my understanding of myself.

I'm not sure however about this, however:

QuoteI think because we think about men as the default, they don't know how to let other people talk about their experiences without centering themselves. And that runs deeper than two lonely comedians.

Since I think that a certain level of solipsism is a baked-in part of the human condition. Ultimately you can only talk from your own perspective. Morally C.K. should completely decentre himself and put the perspective of the victim first... but he can never completely do this simply because it is not his perspective. Likewise, Hannah Gadsby can only speak from the perspective of Hannah Gadsby (a perspective which I've seen trans* individuals criticise her on). As another example, I sometimes see on Twitter black feminisms taking white feminists to task on not centring issues of race in their discourse. But then, from a disabled perspective, one could criticise some black feminists from centring the needs and experiences of the abled-bodied etc. If someone spends their time gunning for a perspective that is fundamentally not their own - such as Tim Wise does when it comes to race or Hugo Schwyzer used to do in regards to gender - they need to look a bit strange, needy or guilty of silencing the voices they speak on behalf of. Also, in cases like Hugo Schwyzer, they might have some pretty messed up reasons for doing what they're doing.

There's definitely a lot of times where privileged people need to shut up and listen... but even in doing that they're still the protagonist of their own story...

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: gout_pony on September 09, 2019, 05:20:23 PM

Since I think that a certain level of solipsism is a baked-in part of the human condition. Ultimately you can only talk from your own perspective. Morally C.K. should completely decentre himself and put the perspective of the victim first... but he can never completely do this simply because it is not his perspective. Likewise, Hannah Gadsby can only speak from the perspective of Hannah Gadsby (a perspective which I've seen trans* individuals criticise her on). As another example, I sometimes see on Twitter black feminisms taking white feminists to task on not centring issues of race in their discourse. But then, from a disabled perspective, one could criticise some black feminists from centring the needs and experiences of the abled-bodied etc. I

There's definitely a lot of times where privileged people need to shut up and listen... but even in doing that they're still the protagonist of their own story...

It's this pissing contest that alienates a lot of people. They'll always be somebody worse off. Where is the privilege cut off point?

chveik

alan nagsworth

We need to find the worst-off person in the world and see what their take is on everything. I bet it's probably "do whatever the fuck you want I don't care" but unfortunately we will never know because that person will have no limbs or mouth or anus or any other capacity to communicate any thought whatsoever. Really makes you think.

up_the_hampipe

Hannah Gadsby seems to know a lot more about how Louis feels than any of us. Is she secretly friends with him? Cancelled?!

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: gout_pony on September 09, 2019, 05:20:23 PM
Interesting Hannah Gadsby interview on C.K. and Ansari etc.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/08/hannah-gadsby-louis-ck-path-to-redemption?fbclid=IwAR2GBKcprhsN_HjcDXYSLZ-ukfwDRtSO-nnAjz-wsJ9EjHnpdD58OQXRVqI

I think this is really on-point and a good explanation for some of the misogyny I've encountered in male nerd culture. Thinking back upon my younger self, being relentlessly bullied at school, I certainly tended to see myself as a victim and so the idea that I had a lot of structural power and privilege (and, indeed, the capability to abuse that) would have been alien to my understanding of myself.

Since I think that a certain level of solipsism is a baked-in part of the human condition. Ultimately you can only talk from your own perspective. Morally C.K. should completely decentre himself and put the perspective of the victim first... but he can never completely do this simply because it is not his perspective. Likewise, Hannah Gadsby can only speak from the perspective of Hannah Gadsby (a perspective which I've seen trans* individuals criticise her on). As another example, I sometimes see on Twitter black feminisms taking white feminists to task on not centring issues of race in their discourse. But then, from a disabled perspective, one could criticise some black feminists from centring the needs and experiences of the abled-bodied etc. If someone spends their time gunning for a perspective that is fundamentally not their own - such as Tim Wise does when it comes to race or Hugo Schwyzer used to do in regards to gender - they need to look a bit strange, needy or guilty of silencing the voices they speak on behalf of. Also, in cases like Hugo Schwyzer, they might have some pretty messed up reasons for doing what they're doing.

A shocking number of people simply can not understand this concept, or try and resist it with their 'reason's why this person is wrong' attitude rather than accepting the reality.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 09, 2019, 08:12:23 PM
Hannah Gadsby seems to know a lot more about how Louis feels than any of us. Is she secretly friends with him? Cancelled?!

I know exactly how Louis feels - like this!

*wanking motion*