Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:42:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is anyone bothered about Upstart Crow?

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, August 29, 2018, 09:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

The most recent one was a pretty decent satire of Comic Relief. I'm not sure, but I think it gave serious credence to the argument that such charitable events are a mere sticking plaster which actually prevent real solutions to inequality ever being enacted.

Makes me wonder what Richard Curtis might have done to old Benny.

Norton Canes

Only watched the first one of this series, it had its moments, but yeah the number of times a word received the hilarious suffix '-ingtons' in the first few minutes alone drove me up the wall. Ingtons.

Emma Thompson's cameo as Elizabeth I in last year's Christmas special was excellent.

gilbertharding

Coming from Huntingdon, I don't automatically find the suffix 'ingdons' hilarious. It just makes me think that there might be a town in Bedfordshire or somewhere called Boobingtons.

Meanwhile, are we agreed that compared to The Wright Way, Upstart Crow is a comic tour de force?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Is "-ingtons" even a thing in Shakespeare's work? English lessons were a chillingly long time ago, so perhaps it is and I've just forgotten. None of the famous lines I can think of off the top of my head include it though and, with the amount they say it in Upstart Crow, you'd think it was all over his plays.

"Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slinglingtons and arrows..."

CaledonianGonzo

It's a pain in the cheeklingtons.

'Puffling Pants' is, I think, an Elton-ism

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 14, 2018, 12:56:27 PM

Meanwhile, are we agreed that compared to The Wright Way, Upstart Crow is a comic tour de force?

Damningtons with faint praisingtons, there. Compared to " The Wright Way ", a car crash in which all members of my immediate family die horribly is a comic tour de force.

I like it. As has already been mentioned, it's no Blackadder, but as a middle aged centrist dad, it conjures up the a nostalgic glow of watching 80s sitcoms and various associated pleasant memories - tomato juice, church bells, someone running up to bowl. Even if devoid of a single funny line, purely for being shot on video, rather then filmised it's already got a headstart over Derek. It's admirably uninterested in attempting to ape the tropes of a modern comedy series (it's extremely dated, to put it another way) and it gives me a warm feeling in my belly. Even if not funny, I'm pretty sure that the recurring joke about delays on the coach and horses is a homage to to Reggie Perrin, so 12/10 for that.

gilbertharding

Has anyone else noticed (is that a HIDEOUSLY smug way to start a post?) that the announcer always introduces the episode by informing the viewer that it is filmed in front of a live audience? Did it receive a lot of flak for using 'canned laughter'?

Jittlebags

I'm really enjoying it, and Liza Tarbuck's uplifted booblingtons don't 'alf give me the 'orn.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 14, 2018, 01:08:45 PM
Is "-ingtons" even a thing in Shakespeare's work?

I can't remember a single one, and I studied several Shakies for Engo Lit.

rimbaud

Really like it, in small doses, and I love the fact they still have the guy doing a Ricky Gervais impression in series 3.

Also notable: they are STILL doing the thing where they try to give the impression David Mitchell is really short, to imply his social lowliness (c.f. Peep Show).  All the make actors in this are ridiculously tall by telly standards.

Johnny Yesno

I enjoy this show on the level of a decent pantomime. I reckon it would fall on its arse if it wasn't for the cast, though, and Mark Heap deserves a special mention in that regard.

Pijlstaart

Dislike it immensely. Watched the first 2 minutes in open-mouthed horror. Shouldn't exist.

CaledonianGonzo

Virgo76

Quite a poignant episode.
Compare and contrast to final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth.

Other points:
1. They seemed to have been playing down the Will Kemp as Ricky Gervais angle this series. Until yesterday. Was hoping the real Gervais might have a cameo.
2. It was funny when Edmund, I mean Will, kept almost inviting Percy, I mean, Kate to be his best man, I mean to accompany him to the party.

Mixed feelings about this. Some great performances and occasional flashes of brilliance. But also feels a bit lazy and tired, on occasion.