Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:59:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

C&B doesn't load in my computer

Started by amnesiac, August 30, 2018, 10:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amnesiac

Really baffling - when I try C&B at home it doesn't work - I get either 'certificate not valid' or 'folder not found, contact Positive Internet' - even when I try to add an exception for this site it doesn't work.

I've tried changing DNS servers, multiple browsers and even tethering to my phone - so it's not my ISP.

No idea what's going on - it works when I browse on my phone, and from my work PC.

Anyone know how to fix it?

the

You haven't got an entry in your HOSTS file that's directing cookdandbombd.co.uk to the wrong IP address, have you?

amnesiac

Quote from: the on August 30, 2018, 10:27:18 AM
You haven't got an entry in your HOSTS file that's directing cookdandbombd.co.uk to the wrong IP address, have you?

ahh good idea! I've got a vague recollection of HOSTS being an issue in the past for another site. Thanks I'll take a look at that tonight.

the

Barry Admin

Glebe

a duncandisorderly

the

Quote from: amnesiac on August 30, 2018, 10:29:59 AMThanks I'll take a look at that tonight.

... WELL?

Quote from: Glebe on August 31, 2018, 12:37:15 AM[Computer says no GIF]

You must surely get some sort of black mark for posting that. This isn't generic muggy bonehead forum #4547245, maintain some standards man.

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on August 31, 2018, 05:34:06 AMhosts file? it's 2018....

Why, what do the kids use for locally mapping hostnames these days, some sort of modified fleshlight full of Relentless?

Icehaven

amnesiac

Sorry! i didn't feel any need to go on C&B last night I'll try tonight.

amnesiac

thanks, user:the it was HOSTS.

This was the entire contents of the file:
##

# Host Database

#

# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface

# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.

##

127.0.0.1       localhost

255.255.255.255 broadcasthost

::1             localhost

fe80::1%lo0     localhost

80.87.143.6 www.cookdandbombd.co.uk

how da FUQ the only entry in there was for C&B I have no idea.

So full 25 points to you, zero points to B. Admin for the Adblocker HYPE

Glebe

Quote from: the on August 31, 2018, 07:29:53 AMYou must surely get some sort of black mark for posting that. This isn't generic muggy bonehead forum #4547245, maintain some standards man.

I know it's hackneyed, but I just couldn't resist.

the

Quote from: amnesiac on August 31, 2018, 10:59:04 PMthanks, user:the it was HOSTS.

how da FUQ the only entry in there was for C&B I have no idea.

IIRC there was a time when CaB switched servers and the DNS was slow to catch up, so Barry recommended people add that line to their Hosts file.

Then later on CaB switched servers again and anyone who had added that line had to remove it.

Something like that anyway, I remember having to remove it from mine. That was bloody ages ago though, so lord knows why it's only started causing problems for you now.

I have the album Machine Says Yes by FC Kahuna. It's nicely produced but a wee bit dull. I also note that it predates the Computer Says No character by 2 years.