Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Company of Wolves (1984)

Started by Blumf, August 30, 2018, 12:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

In the 'Non-new films' thread:
Quote from: zomgmouse on August 29, 2018, 04:30:38 PM
The Company of Wolves. Remarkable the way it flits between worlds and the wolf transformations are beautifully disturbing. Dream and folk tale and terrific horror fantasy.
Quote from: Blumf on August 29, 2018, 04:56:01 PM
Still don't get why this film doesn't get more love.
Quote from: St_Eddie on August 30, 2018, 06:27:39 AM
Fan-fucking-tastic film.  Love it.

This film doesn't get enough attention. A fantastical-horror take on Little Red Riding Hood, with Angela Lansbury playing granny, warning Sarah Patterson (who's not been in much) of charming men who's eyebrows meet in the middle. A series of tale are told, jumping through time periods, interleaving concepts of sexuality and adulthood.

If you like the look of 80s fantasy films this will be a sure fire winner. It's beautiful to watch.

Don't spoil it for yourself (avoid the wiki link), and enjoy it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087075/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Company_of_Wolves

Dr Rock

And Danielle Dax playing a Lady Werewolf!

St_Eddie

A couple of months ago, I tried introducing my friend to this film, by bringing the DVD over to his flat for a movie night.  He fell asleep halfway through, in a drug induced stupor.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it appreciate fine films.

Howj Begg

I saw this a few years ago, and I thought it was good, despite some slightly risible acting occasionally. But the feast scene is actually, i think in even a different league form the rest of the film, makes the rest pale slightly in comparison. That scene has a daring boldness, abandon and savagery that I wish was present in the rest of it. Good film nevertheless.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Howj Begg on August 31, 2018, 12:15:18 PM
I saw this a few years ago, and I thought it was good, despite some slightly risible acting occasionally. But the feast scene is actually, i think in even a different league form the rest of the film, makes the rest pale slightly in comparison. That scene has a daring boldness, abandon and savagery that I wish was present in the rest of it. Good film nevertheless.

It's a brilliant scene, no question.  However, I'm not sure that I would personally agree that the rest of the film suffers in comparison.  There's so many moments throughout that inspire awe within me; the initial run through the forest, from wolves and giant dolls; the baby in a nest, high up in a tree; the spiders falling onto the book; the transformation scene in the cabin; the head in a bucket of milk; the soundtrack.  Oh God, the soundtrack.

Incredible film.

zomgmouse

I'd strongly recommend reading the original story/stories by Angela Carter this was based on: http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/rote/CARTER.html#the_company_of_wolves

Glebe

I was in a pub near where Neil Jordan used to live one night a few years back with my dad and brother, when who should come in but Neil Jordan himself. The group he was with included a woman off of that Downton Abbey too, I think.

biggytitbo

It is a good film. I always associate it in my mind with the contemporary Dreamchild, which is also disturbing as fuck and doesnt get enough love.

mobias

My favourite movie of all time. When I studied film and photography at art college in the early 90's I did my film thesis on The Company of Wolves. I did a lot of research and even tried to get interviews with a few people involved. Stephen Woolley the producer was incredibly helpful.

A truly remarkable and unique film. It kind of effortlessly has this beautifully gothic dreamlike quality to it that a lot of films try hard to get but never quite manage. A lot of it is down to production designer Anton Furst and cinematographer Bryan Loftus.
The film was a made on a tiny budget and has a few big names in the film industry, like the afore mentioned, involved in its production. They all worked for next to bugger all because they were just such big fans of Angela Carter and really wanted to see it made.

In interviews Neil Jordan has been quite critical of bits of it over the years but Angela Carter herself was a huge fan and said at the time it was a perfect realisation of the images she had in her head when she wrote the short story its based on.

Catalogue Trousers

Blumf

On the commentary, the director says the ending probably doesn't fit.

St_Eddie

I like the ending; the crescendo of the soundtrack and the image of a pack of wolves, descending upon Rosaleen and knocking over her toys as they do so.  It seems entirely fitting to me; the transition to adulthood is complete and the last vestige of innocence is gone.