Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Man from Mo'Wax (James Lavelle Documentary)

Started by Sebastian Cobb, August 30, 2018, 02:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I was going through the cinema listing earlier and spotted this is out next week. Looks interesting.

QuoteA new documentary, The Man From Mo'Wax will chart the ongoing influence of pioneering UK electronic figure James Lavelle, whose presence in the scene as a DJ, producer and label head remains pivotal today, nearly three decades into his career.

The film, which is set for release on 31st August, starts from the beginning of the artist's trajectory, playing his first DJ set aged 14. Lavelle would go on to launch his Mo'Wax label aged 18 and would subsequently release one of the most influential albums in UK electronic music's history, DJ Shadow's 'Entroducing'.

He would go on to work with DJ Shadow under the UNKLE moniker to release 'Psyence Fiction' aged 22 as well as hold down a longstanding Fabric DJ residency. And he has barely slowed since.

The documentary features interviews with DJ Shadow, Joshua Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, Massive Attack's Robert Del Naja (3D), The Stone Roses' Ian Brown, Futura, Radiohead's Thom Yorke and Grandmaster Flash, giving a unique and insightful look into the scene that these artists existed within in the '90s.

As well as being screened in selected cinemas from 31st August, on 10th September the BFI will release a numbered, limited edition Blu-ray/DVD edition featuring bespoke packaging, original artwork, and an array of extras. Standard editions will also be released on the same date.

Check out the trailer for the documentary below. For more info, visit the film's website.

Of course, this isn't the first electronic music documentary that's gotten us excited this year, with Carl Cox and Martin Garrix's 'What We Started' stirring quite a lot of interest last month. Check out our 10 must-see dance music documentarties available on Netflix here.

Funnily enough I had Psyence Fiction on for the first time in a while yesterday. Still amazing.

gilbertharding

Interesting. I used to like a bit of Mo'Wax, and I have the CDs of DJ Food v DK (Solid Steel) in the car right now...

*edit* Of course that's Ninja Tune, not Mo'Wax: what a klutz.

Interesting to note Josh Homme is a fan too. I tend towards liking the guitars myself, but always also liked the funk and soul side (thanks, Beastie Boys!).

Funcrusher

I'm vaguely interested in seeing this based on it providing a portrait of Lavelle as a bit of a cock, which sounds entertaining.

momatt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 30, 2018, 02:42:30 PM
I was going through the cinema listing earlier and spotted this is out next week. Looks interesting.

Saw this a few months ago.  It's really good.  Great for fans, but will also be interesting to any music fan in general.
Josh Homme's bits are pretty funny too.
I'm an absolutely huge Mo'Wax fan, so almost wanked myself to death watching this.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 30, 2018, 02:42:30 PMFunnily enough I had Psyence Fiction on for the first time in a while yesterday. Still amazing.
It was 20 years old last week!  #deadsoon
Still my favourite album ever.

Sebastian Cobb

It's one of the only albums I've bought simply by it being played in the record shop when I was there.

poodlefaker

I still love Mark's Keyboard Repair, one of the greatest albums of the 90s.

Sebastian Cobb

Saw this yesterday. Quite interesting and tells a good story.

Seems like Lavelle was a bit of a bellend at times and left quite a few upset collaborators in his wake. Good A&R man though and a shame that all the Mo'Wax roster ended up in the hands of Universal when A&M got absorbed.

steveh

During his major cokehead phase he seems to have upset a lot of people and according to a friend of a friend who licensed a track to the label royalties for a long time did not get paid as they should have been while label overheads were massive and physical production costs of releases sometimes dwarfed what they brought in.

Out on dual-format DVD / Blu-ray on 17 September with extra and extended interviews.

the

Sebastian Cobb

Quite surprised that Shadow seemed to mostly just do everything on an MPC on Endtroducing and Psyence Fiction.

I know they've done the heavy lifting for the beats of lots of hiphop albums, but still.

greencalx

This is probably the best place to post this. Shadow did a set on Radio 6 yesterday, sitting in for Gilles Peterson: https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/m0000c9z

Some banging tracks in there, but alas he doesn't announce all of them...

Sebastian Cobb

Aye, I had that on when i was pottering about yesterday, it was decent.

Mini

Shadow's Find Share Rewind podcast is good too. Looking forward to seeing this, hoping it will turn up on Netflix which seems to be quite good for music docs.

gilbertharding

If anyone's interested (it was probably brought up in the Gilles Peterson thing) Lavelle's doing the music for that John Paul Getty miniseries 'Trust'.

I heard that news on The Saturday Review show on Radio 4, where people were divided about whether it was a good thing or not.

momatt

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 17, 2018, 01:19:43 PM
If anyone's interested (it was probably brought up in the Gilles Peterson thing) Lavelle's doing the music for that John Paul Getty miniseries 'Trust'.

I heard that news on The Saturday Review show on Radio 4, where people were divided about whether it was a good thing or not.

Both the music and the series are excellent I thought! 
I'll give that review show a listen, thanks.

gilbertharding

Watched the first episode of this last night, and found the original music ok but a tiny bit intrusive... and then Gimme Shelter starts up just to HAMMER HOME the entrance of the long-haired long lost grandson, like that League of Gentlemen character who says "Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that"... especially as we'd turned the sound right up so we could hear what the mumbling actors were mumbling about.

*neighbours banging on the wall*

magval

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 25, 2018, 02:56:32 PM
That League of Gentlemen character who says "Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that"

Spaced mate.

gilbertharding

Of course. An easy mistake to make?

My point still stands... Gimme Shelter much too obvious, and loud.