Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:51:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs from your youth that are inextricably linked to memories

Started by hedgehog90, August 30, 2018, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

That song that goes 'Wake up it's a beautiful morning' - the smell of a brand new pack of penini stickers.

The song that goes 'Am feelin HAT HAT HAT' (hot) - Dick and Dom CBBC saturday morning show circa 1998/9 summer

That Cher song that goes 'dlyou belieieve inlof aftalovaftalovaftalov' - Playing a rented copy of the PlayStation game Jersey Devil in late 98/early 99.

Sesame Street theme tune - discussing with my brother Tomb Raider 3 details before it was released.

Spice Girls' I need some love like I never needed love before, gonna make love to your baby - Lego.

hedgehog90

In my late 40s I reverted to childhood, or as my deceased wife called it, my mid-life crisis.

jobotic

Japanese Boy - about to go through the Dartford tunnel in my mum's car on the way to my grandparents, all happy.

DrGreggles

Dream Warriors - My Definition of a Bombastic Jazz Style

Thatcher resigns.

Captain Z

Quote from: jobotic on August 30, 2018, 08:16:05 PM
Japanese Boy - about to go through the Dartford tunnel in my mum's car on the way to my grandparents, all happy.

Because the tunnel would make it stop playing?

Brundle-Fly

Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy - Kid Creole & The Coconuts.

1982 Trying to woo a girl on the dodge'em cars but having this older flirtatious pikey fairground worker hanging off the back of our car the whole time. Ruined.

Emma Raducanu

Every Simon and Garfunkel song - in the car on our holidays

Sting and Police - Walking on the moon - late night car journey home from Blackpool.

jobotic

Quote from: Captain Z on August 30, 2018, 08:32:10 PM
Because the tunnel would make it stop playing?

Ha. Think I got a bit upset when that happened.

Just had another listen and welled up a bit. It'd be a fine song without the comedy racist outfits and singing.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 30, 2018, 08:20:08 PM
Dream Warriors - My Definition of a Bombastic Jazz Style

Thatcher resigns.

For me, it was There She Goes by The Las because Radio 1 kept playing it after the news all week when I was at work. It was an open goal for DJs but alright, ha ha we got the reference three days ago, the lyrics of this current hit single match the significent event that is happening at Westminster. 

We all knew when Shane Meadows announced This Is England '90 was in the works, there would be a comedic scene at a rave, a 'let's get high on E' scene, an unpleasant sexual assault, some Stone Roses and footage of Mrs Thatcher crying in the backseat of a limo with There She Goes underscoring. House!

Gulftastic

'The Only Way Is Up' was on the radio when I got the phone call telling me I'd got my first job, meaning I didn't have to confess that I'd dropped out of college and possibly hitch to London to crash at my sister's.

As a title it proved somewhat inaccurate, as I found another way, namely sideways for a bit, then down.

greenman

Adamski - Killer, The smell of burnt carpet at the local arcade.

Glebe

'Golden Brown' and 'Wuthering Heights' are very evocative for me, and (rather cheesily) Tight Fit's cover of 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'... oh, and The Police's 'Walking on the Moon'.

Maurice Yeatman

Donna Summer's "Love To Love You Baby" always brings back memories of your mum.

hedgehog90

Mmmbop by Hanson - badly burning my finger on the cigarette lighter in my dad's car and Worms 2 on the PC.

Umbrella by Rihanna - Maddie jokes.

Gregory Torso

Jive Bunny Megamix - Dad doing the angry turtle dance in the living room as mum tries to smash the lock off the liquor cabinet.

Baker Street - makes me feel tired, streetlights tired, busy hive of stars over the dashboard as someone drives me to a place I don't want to go.
( William G Stewart played the sarcophagus on this track.)

The Tide Is High - "I'm not a cardigan, who makes up jokes like that?" I still think these are the real words.

Mr Blue Sky - I have this image of my dad kicking the shit out of a postman as everyone in the neighborhood leaned from their own houses and all sang along, like it was something they had learned how to do. I'm sure this is not a real memory, more like a dream or a joke my uncle told me when I was too small to know what was meant. Then some time later my parents spontaneously singing this song and a cold oily drip iced my spine.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on August 31, 2018, 06:36:53 AM
Jive Bunny Megamix

The Ben Liebrand mix of War Of The Worlds - working at a bingo hall. It was one of the callers favourite tracks (another favourite was the Jive Bunny megamix above) at the time and he always went on about it. He never played it there,  the music for the start of the bingo session was the first 16 bars of Herb Alpert - Spanish Flea.

Prince's 1999 double LP reminds me of playing Chuckie Egg round and round on the ZX Spectrum during the school summer holidays.

the

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 31, 2018, 10:34:49 AMThe Ben Liebrand mix of War Of The Worlds - working at a bingo hall. It was one of the callers favourite tracks at the time and he always went on about it.

I love the bit at the start where he uses the string stab to do an Inner City style riff. Pretty much arsewater from that point on though.

Quote from: the on August 31, 2018, 10:40:02 AM
I love the bit at the start where he uses the string stab to do an Inner City style riff. Pretty much arsewater from that point on though.

Spot on.

holyzombiejesus

Sobbing in front of the testcard on Christmas day whilst Wombling Merry Christmas played in the background.

Hiding under the stage during a school disco whilst everyone else danced about above me to Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody

My dad crying to Lionel Richie's Three Times A Lady the day after he left us and moved back in with his dad.

Staring out of the school library window at Katy L whilst listening to a cassingle of Lloyd Cole & The Commotions' Jennifer She Said.

Trying to lose my virginity whilst listening The Orchids' Yawn

Brundle-Fly

Pearl's a singer - Elkie Brooks 1977

On holiday, having a round of minaiture golf with my mate Adrian. All afternoon we sarcastically sang the chorus like some soma induced mantra. We thought it was 'Carl's a singer' though, which made it even more excruitiaing for the other campers playing near us.

Doves - The entire Lost Souls album fills me with sadness as I had it on a minidisc just after it came out and would play it when travelling to see my long-distance girlfriend. I played it for the last time on the train on the way home after we split up and I've not been able to listen to it since. Can listen to their other albums just fine.

808 State - Cobra Bora. This was playing when I was involved in a minor car accident and all I can think of is being all shaken up and exchanging details with a ferociously angry man who wouldn't stop swearing, saying I should be banned from driving and threatening to kick the shit out of me (even though it was his fault - he didn't anticipate me slowing down for some lights and pulled out of the junction into the space he predicted would be there as I passed and it turned out my car was still in it) every time it comes on. Can't have 808 State on in the car any more cos it makes me jumpy.

doppelkorn

No Woman No Cry - that party where everyone kept singing "Ben's mum is a slag' to the main the refrain.

I Got 5 on It - same party where everyone kept singing "dickhead" to the main two-note bass riff and doing the "dickhead" wanky-hand-on-forehead gesture

non capisco

Ticket To Ride by The Beatles
I have two earliest memories. One is my Mum stacking it down the stairs whilst she was holding me (I don't think I would even have been two. You can choose to be sceptical about this if you want) and the other one is seeing the musical notes appear on the telegraph pole wires in the 'video' to this. I reckon it might have been shown because Lennon had just been offed because I sort of remember my old dear being sad about some bloke on TV with a big hooter who'd died. I was born in 1978 so you can dispute that I still have memories from 1980 but I absolutely without a shadow of a doubt remember...

...This Old House by Shakin' Stevens
Eating a bourbon biscuit round my granddad's, 1981. Loved that song at the time, sang it incessantly. "Pack it in about Shakin' Stevens"

Daydream Believer by The Monkees
The BBC test card.

Jackie Wilson Said by Dexys Midnight Runners
My dad driving up what seemed like an entirely vertical hill towards a garden centre, me terrified the car was just going to fall backwards and we'd all be killed. No seatbelts as was still de rigeur in 1982. My parents still live in the same house and I have no idea now where this terrifying hill would have been.

Easy Lover by Phillip Bailey and Phil Collins
Having some kind of whole body tartrazine rush after drinking supermarket brand orangeade on The Isle Of Wight and running round a games arcade with my shirt off hollering "PAC MAN'S WILLY!"

It's A Kind Of Magic by Queen
My nan telling me "That Freddie Miracle is a weirdo". Her West Highland terrier started licking its own junk and my nan told it "And YOU'RE a weirdo and all."

Harvest For The World by The Christians
Boisterously vomiting into a galvanised bucket.

Shit Good Nose

Driving Home For Christmas - driving home for christmas.  Every year.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 30, 2018, 08:34:10 PM
Annie, I'm Not Your Daddy - Kid Creole & The Coconuts.

1982 Trying to woo a girl on the dodge'em cars but having this older flirtatious pikey fairground worker hanging off the back of our car the whole time. Ruined.

If we're doing adolescent fairground ones,. Sleepwalk by Ultravox is the waltzer near the bay at Anstruther, where we had a family holiday once. And One In Ten by UB40 and Hard Times by The Human League are the annual fair in the park across the road from where I lived with my parents at the time.

As for fancying someone ones, I Will Follow by U2 is inextricably linked in my head with looking at a girl with long dark hair in a ponytail who was sitting on the side of a pool table smoking a fag at a youth club disco. Not one of my usual haunts though. Not sure how I ended up at this one. I thought she was gorgeous but was far too shy to go anywhere near her and I never saw her again.

There are undoubtedly others along these lines but I'm just about to go to sleep. Goodnight cruel world.

Flouncer

Bit of a grim one... My dad had a heart attack about six years ago. I was working with him that day, and took him to A&E. He was rolling around in agony, clutching his chest - he's usually the sort of bloke to stoically put up with pain without complaining, so it was clear something was very wrong. The nurses who saw him just gave him two paracetamol and left him in the cubicle for about three hours. Eventually my mum came to relieve me and I went home. At some point another hour or two later, a doctor came along and saw how serious the situation was and he was rushed into surgery to put a stent in. Me and my brother felt absolutely nothing - just blank - our dad has been really abusive to us. It reminds me of Mersault in The Stranger; we were supposed to feel something, by other people's standards, but we just didn't. We got in a cab and went along to the hospital just to support mum really, while dad was in surgery. The family were giving us sympathy and telling us it was going to be okay, and it was all a bit weird, given how we felt. I picked up the bible that was in the waiting room we were provided with and started reading the book of revelations - no fucking about, just skip to the fun bit. It reminded me of the Apocalypse in 9/8 bit of Supper's Ready by Genesis. Dad survived his surgery, and after seeing him briefly we went home, and I listened to that bit of Supper's Ready. When I get round to that bit of the song, it often reminds me of the strange emptiness I felt that night.

Jockice

Centerfold by the J Geils Band. Reminds me of my second big teenage crush. A sexy sixth former who was way out of my reach anyway. She didn't have to wear uniform unlike us youngsters and had a collection of mohair jumpers. The orange one was my favourite. The line 'those soft fuzzy sweaters too magical to touch' was like a dagger through my heart. And my groin.

As for my first. there isn't one specific song. Teenage Kicks obviously (in fact most of The Undertones' debut album. And Singles Going Steady by Buzzcocks), Christine by Siouxsie and the Banshees (because it was her name. And still is) and for some unfathomable reason Masquerade by The Skids also springs to mind. Did I ever mention I'm going out with her now? I've kept it very quiet.

Jockice

A childhood one. Tiger Feet by Mud. Cycling along the road I'd lived on until a year previously (and still had relatives on) while wearing a helmet my uncle who worked in a garage had given me. It was a standard workman's helmet but he'd painted it metallic blue and silver with stickers on the peak spelling out my name. I loved that helmet. Wish I still had it.