Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs from your youth that are inextricably linked to memories

Started by hedgehog90, August 30, 2018, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

The The - This is the Day
My alcoholic uncle leaving home once again, forever keeping the family worried about if he'd end up dead wherever he was going. I think this time it was Plymouth. I was too young to understand at all but I knew he was going.

Deltron 3030 - 3030
Absolutely raising hell on Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 on the PC for hours on end.

chveik

I remember listening to Bob Marley's Legend album on sunday mornings.

Quote from: Jockice on September 01, 2018, 01:32:20 PM
A childhood one. Tiger Feet by Mud. Cycling along the road I'd lived on until a year previously (and still had relatives on) while wearing a helmet my uncle who worked in a garage had given me. It was a standard workman's helmet but he'd painted it metallic blue and silver with stickers on the peak spelling out my name. I loved that helmet. Wish I still had it.

After painting it, did your uncle get the placement of the paper adhesive decorations right first time or was there need to move them?

Did your uncle make your helmet sticky in the garage?

Lemming

Better Off Alone by Alice Deejay transports me instantly back to some point in the very early 2000s, when I would play Unreal Tournament as a kid all night like a fucking sadsack and get insta-gibbed by skilled Russians, as I was a child with poor reflexes and they were superhuman deathmatch demigods.

Jockice

Quote from: Better Midlands on September 01, 2018, 03:54:49 PM
After painting it, did your uncle get the placement of the paper adhesive decorations right first time or was there need to move them?

Did your uncle make your helmet sticky in the garage?

Oooer! I will ask him next time I see him. Honest. And then you'll be in trouble.

Pingers

Rip it Up by Orange Juice reminds me of the summer between finishing A Levels and going to uni, which seemed to go on forever and be hot and sunny every day. I also remember thinking about sex a lot. No actual sex though - thanks, acne.

doppelkorn

Quote from: Lemming on September 01, 2018, 04:01:15 PM
Better Off Alone by Alice Deejay transports me instantly back to some point in the very early 2000s, when I would play Unreal Tournament as a kid all night like a fucking sadsack and get insta-gibbed by skilled Russians, as I was a child with poor reflexes and they were superhuman deathmatch demigods.

That song reminds me of my mate vomming his guts up outside Stockport cinema when this came on the sound system. Between mouthfulls, he muttered "better off alone" and I was like "OK mate, I'll leave you to it and get the train back". What a hilarious misunderstanding.

Captain Poodle Basher

Ghost Riders In The Sky. Saturday mornings as a kid and sitting in the back seat of the car as we returned home from several hours of grocery shopping and DIY shopping etc. It must have been the DJ's sign-off tune or something as I always associate it with about noon on a Saturday and half of one of my precious two days away from school and had been pissed up the wall yet again doing boring shite I had no interest in.

Brotherhood of Man: Angelo. Wet & windy 'Summer' holidays with my family on the West coast of Ireland, sitting in the car looking out at the rain and listening to said track or something equally MOR-ish and wishing I was anywhere but there. Just hearing that song brings up memories of cold, damp, bleak landscapes and a grey murk as sea and sky blended into one.

Harold Faltermeyer: Axel F. The final tune of the night at the teen disco, house lights come on, DJ signs off and everyone crowds the cloakroom for their coats at the same time. Every. Fucking. Week. It's a 90 minute walk home as I can't afford a taxi and the first fifteen minutes or so will be like doing the "Murder Mile" as I keep both eyes peeled and ears a-swivel for pissed up cunts out for a fight. The rest of the trek home is through quiet suburban streets thinking, lazily, "If I lived here, I'd be home by now." but no, it's another mile and a half for you mate. Then I got a bike and could get home in twenty minutes - the disco bit was still shite mind.

Sebastian Cobb

Quite a few of my holidays in Europe have been pinned to what VH1 were rinsing at the time. I can't see a frame from Shake it Off without being transported back to Malta.

Cliff 'Kitty' Richard- Some People. Playing on the car radio. It's chucking it down with rain, I am sniffling through a summer cold and we are halfway through a washed-out holiday in Aberystwyth. This song is playing as we are parked on the seafront and watching the funicular railway slowly winding itself up the hill in the middle distance. My parents were too tight to pay for a ride on it.

Annie Lennox- A Whiter Shade Of Pale. The summer I left school. Playing in the background while I filled in job application after job application and feeling totally worthless and lost.

The Communards- Don't Leave Me This Way. Sitting at the snack bar in Woolworths in Worcester. I'm sipping at a mug of lukewarm tea that tasted of fish. My parents are eating and I'm looking at the eggs frying on an oven tray on a gas hotplate behind the counter. It's raining outside and the whole place stinks of wet clothes and greasy stale food and cigarettes.

Every single Hot Chocolate song ever. My Dad had their Greatest Hits tape and got played on a constant loop as we were driven between home and a hospital in Cheltenham to visit my Aunt who was having chemotherapy. A 70 mile round trip 4 nights a week. We were too preoccupied with my Aunt's cancer to care about what was playing on the car stereo, so the tape got left in and carried on playing.

Limahl- The Never Ending Story. My first ever school disco. This was the song that was playing as I was walking across the playground and into the 1940s pre-fab building that served as the school's dining hall/impromptu disco venue.

Phil Collins- You Can't Hurry Love. Drinking Coke through a bendy straw out of a glass bottle during one of those days between playgroup and starting primary school. It was playing on the stereo while my Dad was at work and my Mum was worried because it had started to snow heavily.

OMC- How Bizarre. The song that came on the car radio the day I did my first ever solo drive after passing my test.

non capisco

Quote from: Drop Dead Fred on September 02, 2018, 08:32:10 PM
OMC- How Bizarre. The song that came on the car radio the day I did my first ever solo drive after passing my test.

I'd love to pretend I lost my virginity to something by The Love Unlimited Orchestra or Marvin Gaye but alas it was actually at least partially soundtracked by How Bizarre, which was playing on MTV at the time. I recall my disbelief that it was finally actually happening being compounded by matey boy from OMC squawking "How bizarre! How bizarre!" in the background.

Jockice

How Bizarre reminds me of a party at my girlfriend at the time's place. In the front living room talking to her best friend Andrea, who I mentioned yesterday in the Watches thread of the main board. It's all interconnected this stuff.

I can't really claim the 'youth' bit though. I was 31 at the time.

hedgehog90

Jo Jo - Leave (2004, 13/14 years old)

Thursday, 3:30 in the afternoon after a triple period of Games.
Me and my friend Tom would go to the opposite end of the nearly emptied changing rooms to see and worship our friend Trolly, a brilliantly funny performing genius who had a uniquely depraved & camp sense of humour. His energetic performance and our helpless laughter amounted to more exercise than we received from the 2 hours of sports beforehand.

There was no limit to his talent, he devised so many funny songs, dances and written stories. When he was 15 he recorded a whole album of original songs (I edited the video to the leading track titled Shit in the Fire).
But the one memory that sticks in both our minds still was his rendition of teenage pop sensation Jo Jo's hit single at the time, Leave, which he performed in character as our heavily pregnant French & German teacher, dancing, singing and occasionally shrieking orgasms, while we pissed ourselves laughing.
The best bit was when he reached the chorus, which went:
Get out (leave!) right now, it's the end of you and me
To which he mimed yanking the baby out of his vagina, looking at it contemptibly and hoofing it with all his might, before immediately returning to his improvised dance routine.
I'm laughing uncontrollably just recalling it now.
It remains the most sublimely funny thing I've ever witnessed.

yesitsme

Lipps Inc - Funky Town - Chicken Pox
Mock Turtles - Can You Dig It? - Debbie from Harwood. #finddebbiefromharwood

buzby

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 31, 2018, 01:23:09 PM
Pearl's a singer - Elkie Brooks 1977
First song I can ever remember recognising when it was played on the radio. Dad's Bush music centre (radio and record player combo - no cassette deck) with the 1978 BBC frequency change diamond stickers on the tuning dial.

The Joy Division Substance compilation - a copy of the cassette I'd borrowed from the library, laying on my sister's bedroom floor (she had her own stereo, a Sharp VZ-1900 with a 'both sides play' linear tracking turntable) revising for my GCSEs.

The whole of New Order's Technique - listening to it on my Philips Moving Sound personal stereo on the bus to my shelf-stacking job the summer after finishing my GCSEs. The album was almost exactly the same length as the bus ride.

Scattered Black and Whites off Elbow's first album. Listened to it a lot after my mum died, can't listen to it anymore.

Norton Canes

Quote from: buzby on September 04, 2018, 10:46:23 AM
First song I can ever remember recognising when it was played on the radio. Dad's Bush music centre (radio and record player combo - no cassette deck) with the 1978 BBC frequency change diamond stickers on the tuning dial.

Just in case you forget: here's The King's Singers

Dr Syntax Head

Solsbury Hill. Wandering the hills and fields in my primary school years in the summer sun with nothing but my freedom. Genuinely happy days and that song takes me right there every time.

Jockice

Another one that brings back teenage woes. When I was in the upper sixth I had a sort of flirtatious thing going on with a girl in the year below. She really liked me and I liked her but I never made that move for various reasons. Me being pathetic basically. Anyway, eventually she gave up on me and copped off with a lad from a rival school at a disco.

The following morning at school I was going into the common room just as she was leaving it. The conversation went as follows.
Me: "Morning *******."
Her: "You're too late!"

That evening, while watching The Tube, The Assembly came on doing Never Never. I started crying. Real sobbing with tears running down my cheeks stuff. It's just a relief that neither of my parents were in the room at the time.

(Postscript. I heard the song a couple of weeks ago, so I put the female in question's name into Facebook. She's got a different surname now but I worked out who she was through a couple of mutual friends from school and agonised over whether to send her a friend request. Would she hate me? Would she even remember who I was? Two days ago I did...and she accepted immediately, sent a wave to me and we ended up having a chat. She's been married for 27 years (it was her anniversary yesterday), has a daughter in her mid-20s and will be becoming a grandmother soon. I'm really glad she's okay. Every time I heard that song it reminded me of the one that got away. Well, one of many that got away actually...)

SteveDave

"Making Your Mind Up" by the Fizz reminds me of dancing around my grandma's living room manically. I always though there was a basement under her house because it sounded hollow when you jumped up and down but I was told there wasn't. It's going to come out when my dad dies that my evil twin lived down there.

Quote from: SteveDave on September 06, 2018, 03:45:47 PM
"Making Your Mind Up" by the Fizz reminds me of dancing around my grandma's living room manically. I always though there was a basement under her house because it sounded hollow when you jumped up and down but I was told there wasn't. It's going to come out when my dad dies that my evil twin lived down there.

MYMU reminds me of coming back on a coach from a swimming gala on the night they won the Eurovision Song Contest, is have been 9 years old.

TheMonk

Quote from: Better Midlands on September 06, 2018, 10:33:13 PM
MYMU reminds me of coming back on a coach from a swimming gala on the night they won the Eurovision Song Contest, is have been 9 years old.
Land Of Make Believe till this day makes me feel about 5 when I hear it. No specific memory attached, it's just extremely evocative of the excitement and fears of youth.

Quote from: TheMonk on September 09, 2018, 01:39:16 PM
Land Of Make Believe till this day makes me feel about 5 when I hear it. No specific memory attached, it's just extremely evocative of the excitement and fears of youth.

I know what you mean, it has a certain something.

Twed

Jockice

Quote from: SteveDave on September 06, 2018, 03:45:47 PM

Making Your Mind Up reminds me of the days when Britain was great and we were winners.

Chriddof

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Wham!

Standing in the back garden, no more than about 4 years old or so, eating an "open top" cheese sandwich. (That's a sandwich without the top layer of bread.)

Strawberry Fields Forever - everyone knows who it is

Hearing it for the very first time in my life on a home cassette dub of the Blue best of album, being driven down a road near my home in the back seat of my Dad's car. It got to the bit at the very end with the backwards drumming and "cranberry sauce" stuff and I remember thinking, "What? What's going on?!"

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Chriddof on September 11, 2018, 07:01:18 PM
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Wham!

Paul from two streets away showing me the version of that song that his Casio keyboard played in Demo mode when we were about 5.