Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,171
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:59:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Platform games

Started by Clownbaby, August 31, 2018, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

I like a platformer. Hit me up with the best ones. Go.

Clownbaby

Kelvin

Have you heard of the Mario Bros series of platformers? Games like Mario Bros Tennis, and Mario Bros Kart 7?

Newer 2D stuff:

Celeste
Super Meat Boy
Rayman Legends
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
New Super Mario Bros Wii/DS/Wii U
N++

Older 2D stuff:

Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World

3D stuff:

Super Mario Galaxy 1&2
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario 64

Sorry that these are all pretty obvious after a promising start.

Lemming

I'll help kick the thread off with the boringly super-obvious ones (EDIT: some of which have already been listed while I was writing this):
Mario (SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SM World, Mario 64, whichever ones after that are good)
Crash Bandicoot (1, 2, 3, maybe Wrath of Cortex)
Spyro (2 and 3. FUCK THE FIRST ONE)
Sonic (just the megadrive ones probably)
Tomb Raider (1, 2, 3)

And, some slightly less obvious ones:
Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey - fun if you like massive amounts of stress and dead civilians on your conscience

Heretic 2 - surprisingly fun genre-shifted sequel to mediocre DooM clone. you are a magic elf who has to fight thousands of randomly spawning enemies while trying to awkwardly jump onto moving lifts. getting it to work on windows 7 or windows 10 will be a game in itself

Umihara Kawase - fishing rod physics nightmare, you have a sticky fishing rod with which you must propel yourself across levels

Another World - short cinematic-y game, but great stuff (except the entire water section, which is fucking trash)

Seconding the above suggestion of Super Meat Boy - again, fun if you like extreme stress

Mirror's Edge is fun too. Flying around on rooftops, nice.

Hecate

Buy Spelunky and you'll never have to buy another!

St_Eddie

My favourite platformer is Duck Tales: Remastered.  I can't fault it in anyway whatsoever; short, sweet, oozing with charm and tons of fun.  It's got a great soundtrack too!

Other worthy mentions would be Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic 2 for the Megadrive.  Also, Yoshi's Island.  Oh, and Oddworld: New and Tasty.

Almost forgot to second the Crash Bandicoot trilogy nomination... and Spyro the Dragon!

Anyone of those titles will see you right.

Quote from: Lemming on August 31, 2018, 05:30:51 PM
Another World - short cinematic-y game, but great stuff (except the entire water section, which is fucking trash)

Another World is great but its spiritual successor, Flashback is the more refined experience, at least in terms of design, if not atmosphere.  No shitty water section in that one.

Spyro (2 and 3. FUCK THE FIRST ONE)

The first one is brilliant!

Daniel

A Hat in Time is one of my favourite ever 3D platformers - due to come out on Switch at some point so you may want to wait for that, although I will happily buy it twice. New DLC level coming out for PC on September 13th, it's free if you download it that day.

I just downloaded Splasher on Switch too and am surprised by how much I'm enjoying it given that I've never really heard anyone talking about it. Reminds me quite a bit of Rayman Legends which is also excellent (but already been mentioned).

Twed

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 31, 2018, 05:05:55 PM
I like a platformer. Hit me up with the best ones. Go.
Lots of great suggestions in this thread, so is it okay to derail with a conversation about bad times in platforming, particularly European platformers of the mid-90s?

Junglist

Dead Cells has platforms you should play Dead Cells

Kelvin

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 31, 2018, 06:20:50 PM
My favourite platformer is Duck Tales: Remastered.  I can't fault it in anyway whatsoever; short, sweet, oozing with charm and tons of fun.  It's got a great soundtrack too!

Funny you say that, because despite being a huge fan of platformers, Duck Tales Remastered is one of the most mediocre and disappointing games I've played in recent years. Ugly graphics that blend poorly animated sprites with charachterless 2.5D environments, competent but forgettable platforming, and too much dialogue. The only bits I really enjoyed were the end credits and the jump into my pool of coins.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kelvin on August 31, 2018, 09:05:07 PM
...I really enjoyed were the end credits and the jump into my pool of coins.

On this, we can agree.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Junglist on August 31, 2018, 08:34:46 PM
Dead Cells has platforms you should play Dead Cells

It's 20 quid though, fuck sake.

Kelvin

I would play dead cells but the game looks ugly as sin, and they forgot to design any levels.

Gulftastic

Chuckie Egg on the BBC Model B. Ruled a big chunk of my after school playing.

St_Eddie

Confession time; I rarely manage to reach the second screen on both Jet Set Willy and Donkey Kong.  I am bad at the bleep bloops.

Twed

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 31, 2018, 09:39:52 PM
Confession time; I rarely manage to reach the second screen on both Jet Set Willy and Donkey Kong.  I am bad at the bleep bloops.
Manic Miner? All you need to do to reach the second screen on Jet Set Willy is hold left.

Kelvin

St Eddie mentioned it upthread, but Yoshi's Island on the SNES is among the best platformers ever made, and arguably as good as any 2D Mario.

More recently, Yoshi's Woolly World on Wii U was far too easy, but still quite good - and the only Yoshi's Island sequel I would recommend, albeit with the caveat that it's still nowhere near as good as the original.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on August 31, 2018, 09:51:59 PM
Manic Miner? All you need to do to reach the second screen on Jet Set Willy is hold left.

Yes, I meant to say Manic Miner.  Egads!  Can my gaming credentials get any lower at this point?!

Quote from: Kelvin on August 31, 2018, 09:55:56 PM
St Eddie mentioned it upthread, but Yoshi's Island on the SNES is among the best platformers ever made, and arguably as good as any 2D Mario.

I'll go one step further and say that it's quite possibly even better than the 2D Mario games.

brat-sampson

Guacamelee 2 has some Nails platforming sections, you're dodging, using special moves, dimension-switching, wall hugging, flinging off of switches and the like. If you're unsure, just get the first one, which was also tough and also had platforming challenges. The other halves are brawling and exploring, which are done equally well in both games (with exploring being by far the easiest half. The idea is generally you go back and explore to *find* the actual platforming challenges.)

I vastly prefer it to Hollow Knight when it comes to the platforming element in particular because of the far wider array of moves and techniques, but more importantly the fact that platforming-related deaths just set you back to the start of the challenge with no health loss. You can just keep on attempting them until you pass, in a Celeste-ial manner, rather than having to fight your way there, try X times until you actually die, then have to make your way back, fight a ghost etc.

Hollow knight is potentially a better game, overall, and certainly very different in tone, but Guacamelee(s) is(are) easily the better platformer(s).

Small Man Big Horse

Mario (SMB)

Prrfft, it's all about The Great Giana Sisters for me.

biggytitbo

Yoshi Island, maniac miner, set jet willy, rainbow island, superb mario world, dizzy, Magic Knight series, metroid, toki, gods, so many to think of.

FredNurke

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. I can't remember if it's actually any good, but it's certainly different.

Kelvin

Good call on Cosmo. My first true videogame love. Not sure if it holds up, but I imagine it's still retained it's charm.

chveik

the original Prince of Persia. The only platform game I've played.

Kelvin

The first 3D Prince of Persia was bloody good, too. Incredible how badly they bungled the sequels and killed the series again.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kelvin on September 01, 2018, 12:04:30 AM
The first 3D Prince of Persia was bloody good, too. Incredible how badly they bungled the sequels and killed the series again.

Nonsense.  The first Prince of Persia 3D was shite.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time on the other hand was excellent.

(Pedantic, I know)

samadriel

bgmnts

Cave Story is a good shout.

Definitely give The Fall amd Thd Fall 2 a look. Brilliant games.