Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Platform games

Started by Clownbaby, August 31, 2018, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avril Lavigne

Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron might be my favourite platform game if not just for the brilliant soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nxk2ejeVQ

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on September 03, 2018, 12:11:08 AM
Do you remember when you described Super Mario World as 'a bin full of bubbling cum', and 'like getting stung on the anus'?

You don't get to comment on platformers ever again.

Aye I do. I'm the only one who does.

Twed

I fucked off the Crash Bandicoot collection from my Switch about 30 minutes after starting to play it. It became very clear to me that it's nice to remember Crash, but I don't have to put up with this shit beyond the 90s. It's just irritating (topped off with a save game system invented in the MODERN era where pressing Y instead of A LOADS instead of SAVES).

I can defend the original Zelda for its gameplay mistakes, because it was pioneering and holds up now, because it makes the mistakes in a unique way that hasn't ever really been done in another game. But this shit? It already had half a decade of shit platformers to learn from. I don't need Crash in any form other than the originals being exactly preserved.

Hecate

What mistakes did the original zelda make?
Not a trick question.

Twed

Quote from: Hecate on September 03, 2018, 08:10:50 PM
What mistakes did the original zelda make?
Not a trick question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ySSq2d5mKE This video essentially.

Would like to point out that I think he's wrong. If the game was released today then sure, but Zelda's mistakes were heady, and the game actually worked well around them.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on September 03, 2018, 07:12:21 PM
I fucked off the Crash Bandicoot collection from my Switch about 30 minutes after starting to play it. It became very clear to me that it's nice to remember Crash, but I don't have to put up with this shit beyond the 90s. It's just irritating (topped off with a save game system invented in the MODERN era where pressing Y instead of A LOADS instead of SAVES).

It's actually Y that saves. Also, there's an autosave slot. Also, git gud.

Twed

I have no problem with the skill level required. Just that it's tedious, unrewarding repetitive garbage.

Lemming

Weird, because I think Crash is one of the 90s series that has minimal bullshit. There's one or two "fuck off" moments per game - impossibly timed jumps, the entire of Slippery Climb, etc - but for the most part it's a really streamlined experience that shoves so many extra lives up your ass that it's very hard to get an actual Game Over, and the checkpoints feel fair.

I haven't played N Sane for any great length of time, so I don't know if they fucked around with it, but I played the first two games on PS1 relatively recently over the course of a couple days and didn't find any annoyingly dated stuff.

Consignia

The first game is pretty unforgiving, but I recall 2 and 3 being pretty good fun.

Twed

Quote from: Lemming on September 03, 2018, 10:27:57 PM
Weird, because I think Crash is one of the 90s series that has minimal bullshit. There's one or two "fuck off" moments per game - impossibly timed jumps, the entire of Slippery Climb, etc - but for the most part it's a really streamlined experience that shoves so many extra lives up your ass that it's very hard to get an actual Game Over, and the checkpoints feel fair.
Again, difficulty isn't my issue. My issue is that the gameplay is made up of samey mid-level trickiness, and is unrewarding to me.

colacentral

Most Disney platformers of the 80's and 90's are good: Ducktales, Chip N Dale, Darkwing Duck, Aladdin, the various Mickey Mouse games. Going down a level I liked Addams Family Values for Snes and the James Pond series, Cool Spot too, but I don't think they hold up today.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on September 03, 2018, 10:40:25 PM
Again, difficulty isn't my issue. My issue is (...) trickiness

that means difficulty

Quoteunrewarding to me.

because you can't get past the first crab on level one.

(Actually, I think Crash caters to an incredibly specific niche to the point that I'm amazed it's done as well as it has. I'm a fan, but I like punishing, borderline obtuse platformers; the more esoteric and unusual the mechanics the better. Crash has REALLY weird jumping in 2018.)

Edit: My favourite thing about Crash 1 is kind of about that repetition and escalation; it pushes its limited ideas way further than Mario. That's not a "good thing" without caveats, but I really like advancing and seeing how stupid the next obstacle it expects you to navigate is going to be. That linear gameplay just works for me.

Twed

Quote from: madhair60 on September 03, 2018, 11:29:11 PM
that means difficulty
No, it doesn't. A person can do a tricky thing easily, if they're good. It's tricky to have to get Crash to be right at the edge of a pit before he jumps, even if that is no longer difficult for the player. Pernickety and precise = tricky. Crash is just the same tricky things over and over and over again. At least with Jet Set Willy every room was interesting.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on September 03, 2018, 07:12:21 PM

I can defend the original Zelda for its gameplay mistakes, because it was pioneering and holds up now, because it makes the mistakes in a unique way that hasn't ever really been done in another game. But this shit? It already had half a decade of shit platformers to learn from. I don't need Crash in any form other than the originals being exactly preserved.

Counter-argument; Crash Bandicoot holds up really well and is a joy to play, to this very day.

Counter-counter-argument: Your mileage may vary.

madhair60

St_Eddie

madhair60

Gonna Crashpost.

I fucking love Crash. The first one is the most focused pure platformer, no bullshit gimmicks, just go to the exit. The levels are difficult enough; the challenge is breaking all the boxes without dying to get a Gem. In the remake they changed this in most of the levels so that you just have to break all the boxes. However - hilariously - they retained the "don't die" stipulation for the levels with coloured Gems, which are typically the most difficult - you still have to beat Slippery Climb perfectly, in one run, without dying and breaking all the boxes.

Crash 2 is probably the best one. It's super easy compared to 1, with more moves and everything is just that little bit less finicky. Levels are breezier and less punishing, though it has its moments. Unfortunately it also has jetpack stages that while far from awful, control like a dog's breakfast.

Crash 3 is beloved but I find it a bit shit for the same reason I don't much care for the Spyro sequels - too much stuff that isn't jumping. Jetski levels, swimming levels, motorcycle levels, plane levels; I don't give a fuck, put me back on the floor, properly. It's still really good but it's a damn mess.

Crash Wrath of Cortex. Total shit. Like Crash 3 but just wrong in every conceivable way.

Crash Twinsanity. Inexplicable, downright bizarre return to Crash 1 difficulty and design. Also one of the few games ever to make me actually laugh. Surprisingly really good.

Crash of the Titans, point-missing shite, almost no platforming, utterly bizarre, unwanted "reboot". Not awful but largely just button mashing combat.

Crash Mind Over Mutant: as above but with a lot more actual platforming so defo a better game. Still not great though.

Will review all the handheld games some time maybe. Just remembered I did a video about this I could just have linked. Nobody gives a shit anyway.

madhair60

The original Spyro the Dragon is this beautiful melding of low-poly graphics with an art style that actually suits them, these weird alien landscapes with this weird, wonderful twinkly music. And the gameplay is so, so simple that it's a treat to play; the only thing you do is collect gems - that's the only goal. Everything just leads to more gems. The sequels were like... now you need to learn to swim! Now you need to learn to climb! Now you need to get these orbs that you earn by doing missions that are usually asinine minigames! There's no focus at all and while I'd be high to call it a bad example of its genre, it wasn't what I wanted at all.

St_Eddie

I don't often happen to share your opinions, madhair60 but in the case of the above two posts; yeah, definitely agree.

madhair60

I also want to point out that Freedom Planet is out now on Switch, and if you play it in Classic Mode you will have a great time.

Not Story Mode. For the love of christ not story mode.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on September 04, 2018, 08:57:54 AM
I also want to point out that Freedom Planet is out now on Switch, and if you play it in Classic Mode you will have a great time.

Not Story Mode. For the love of christ not story mode.

You've piqued my interest.  What's wrong with story mode?

madhair60

Same exact thing with stupidly long, amateurish cutscenes every five minutes. Really, really crap, overwrought, underacted.

Bhazor

Given its made by hardcore sonic fans just be glad theres no pregnant foot fetishism

madhair60

If games discussion had a QI klaxon it would have just gone off.

Lemming

The anti-Spyro 1 opinion in my first post might have come across as more firm than it actually is. I just remember preferring the level design and variety of 2 and 3 (yes I like the skating bits), and I have a vague memory of some kind of rollercoaster-style course in Spyro 1 that really fucked me off where you're flying between different towers using ramps and the whole thing rapidly turns into a major-league ballache.

I do have a PS1 plugged into the naff little TV behind me and the Spyro 1 CD is somewhere within The Big Stack Of Discs, so I'll reappraise it soon if I get some time.

As for the CrashChat, Crash 2 is indeed the best one, with some of the best videogame music ever. I agree that 3 feels muddled and overloaded with content, but is still basically ace. The big contrarian opinion on Crash Bandicoot I seem to have is that I like Wrath of Cortex and I've never been totally sure why it's regarded so much worse than 3. It feels like a slightly worse version of 3 for the most part, except for those levels where you're in the rolling ball thing, which are fucking shit.

Twed

I did love 2 & 3 during their time. So did my parents. I definitely agree that 2 learned a lot of mistakes from 1, and it's a good what it is. It just doesn't feel worth my time anymore, there are so many richer experiences to be had elsewhere. The variety in the game doesn't extend far beyond changes in difficulty and different level themes, and it's just not rewarding enough to experience again.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Lemming on September 04, 2018, 01:50:25 PM
The anti-Spyro 1 opinion in my first post might have come across as more firm than it actually is. I just remember preferring the level design and variety of 2 and 3 (yes I like the skating bits), and I have a vague memory of some kind of rollercoaster-style course in Spyro 1 that really fucked me off where you're flying between different towers using ramps and the whole thing rapidly turns into a major-league ballache.

As much as I love the first game, I will admit that the speed ramps are horseshit.  Needlessly difficult to execute.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Hecate on August 31, 2018, 06:03:56 PM
Buy Spelunky and you'll never have to buy another!

Correct

Unless you're also playing Technician Ted

Lemming

Bumping this thread to report on some hot new findings:

Severance: Blade of Darkness

Pick one of four bastards and go on a quest. You get a different opening experience depending on which hero you picked. Blood, gore, mutilations, etc. Feels like a very early inspiration for Dark Souls sort of games.

Rune

Pretty much the same as the above game, but you're a viking! Still lots of mutilation and other awful shit. Pretty good.

Oni

Ignore the slightly cringey faux-anime style, it's a game about jumping around flip-kicking everyone and sometimes shooting them too. Fun!

madhair60

Yeah none of those are platformers, silly