Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The wankest film idea ever conceived? Danny Boyle's Ed Sheeran Beatles thing

Started by Thomas, August 31, 2018, 05:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talulah, really!

Jack Whippet and the Whippingtons.

It's the cover to their 1969 hippie classic Spirit Level Crossing.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Talulah, really! on February 15, 2019, 08:12:14 PM
Jack Whippet and the Whippingtons.

It's the cover to their 1969 hippie classic Spirit Level Crossing.

Oh yeh, duh! how could I forget.

"Bubble Car" (No. 5 in the hit parade)
"My girl, the chimpanzee"
"Strollin' and a ramblin'"

were some of my favourites - but by God didn't Derek "Shacks" Shackleton (white suit, long hair in that photo) become such a prick in the latter years of the band - "I'm channeling Fred Manson, maaaaan"...dickhead dunce.

Crabwalk

I predict the big finale will involve that guy unveiling 'Run for your life' ft. Ed Sheeran live at Wembley and them both getting violently #cancelled by 80,000 millennials.

Talulah, really!

"No, wait, I've got another song."

"Great, what's it called?"

"Blackbird"

#CANCELLED

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Talulah, really! on February 16, 2019, 08:48:19 AM
"No, wait, I've got another song."

"Great, what's it called?"

"Blackbird"

#CANCELLED

That's the only Beatles track I can stand. A lovely touch of sadness.

Replies From View

"Mangled penis on Santa's beard"

Quite an unpleasant album in my view.

mothman

If there's no John Lennon then there can be no Jealous Guy, and therefore no Roxy Music cover of it. Fuck that shit right in the arse.

SteveDave

Paul and Ringo's cameos:

1- Paul is a teacher in the school where his girlfriend works
2- Ringo owns a hairdressers on Penny Lane

Replies From View

AND THE WANKER NEVER PLAYED THE DRUMS
IN THE POURING RAIN
(OR AT ALL IN THE BEATLES)
VERY STRANGE

Panbaams

Bazooka

I plan to direct a film with the same concept, same plot device, but insert the Monkees. If you wish to subscribe and invest a Nigerian prince shall be in touch shortly.

Ferris

Quote from: Bazooka on February 18, 2019, 03:32:05 PM
I plan to direct a film with the same concept, same plot device, but insert the Monkees. If you wish to subscribe and invest a Nigerian prince shall be in touch shortly.

Counter-theory: this has been conceived as part of a Producers-style financial fraud and Boyle's eyes are widening in horror at every pre-emptively positive article.

Gulftastic

Quote from: mothman on February 16, 2019, 07:05:29 PM
If there's no John Lennon then there can be no Jealous Guy, and therefore no Roxy Music cover of it. Fuck that shit right in the arse.

And Big Train's George Martin gets kidnapped sketch is gone too.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Bazooka on February 18, 2019, 03:32:05 PM

something something Lagos Movie

famethrowa

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 18, 2019, 08:55:25 PM

well if they did do drugs, they certainly didnt do it in front of me....

Replies From View

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 18, 2019, 08:55:25 PM

George Martin could have lived almost exactly the same life, just producing a slightly different band.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Rizla

The problem with this concept is that it assumes the Beatles songs would all be massive, evergreen hits no matter who sang and performed them, which is absolute fucking arsecake. How many cover versions of Beatles songs that made the charts are still listened to today? Wet Wet Wet? Sinatra's version of Something? Also, when did the fabs catalogue become all up for grabs for commercial tartery? I can remember the big stooshie over Nike using "Revolution". Is this cos Neil Aspinall's dead?

I had the telly on the other day and there was an advert on that used "It's a Kinda Magic", immediately followed by an advert for "Flash". That is definitely what Freddie would've wanted for his life's work.

Fuck the world.

Cuellar

*man plays Beatles song*
"Wow that's good, did you write it?"
"Er, no? It was the Beatles you dolt - McCartney, Lennon etc."
"Eh? Who? So did you write it?"
"...Yup."
"Well wait a second you said it was this McCartney and Lennon who wrote it, now you're saying you did. Why did you say McCartney and Lennon wrote it (whoever they are) if YOU did? You didn't write it, did you?"
"...No, sorry"
"Get out"

gilbertharding

Quote from: Rizla on February 19, 2019, 09:35:52 AM
The problem with this concept is that it assumes the Beatles songs would all be massive, evergreen hits no matter who sang and performed them, which is absolute fucking arsecake. How many cover versions of Beatles songs that made the charts are still listened to today? Wet Wet Wet? Sinatra's version of Something? Also, when did the fabs catalogue become all up for grabs for commercial tartery? I can remember the big stooshie over Nike using "Revolution". Is this cos Neil Aspinall's dead?

Reading too quickly, I saw 'Sinitta', and was *this* close to firing up youtube.

On your wider point, the other week Paul Gambaccini's Pick of the Pops covered a week in February 1966 when there were two versions of Michelle in the top 10, including The Overlanders at number 1.

Rizla

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 19, 2019, 10:08:58 AM
Reading too quickly, I saw 'Sinitta', and was *this* close to firing up youtube.

On your wider point, the other week Paul Gambaccini's Pick of the Pops covered a week in February 1966 when there were two versions of Michelle in the top 10, including The Overlanders at number 1.

No-one's listening to the Overlanders version by choice now though, are they? Is there a single Beatles song where the cover is more well known than the original, in the way Ike and Tina's version of "Proud Mary" is far better known than the CCR original?

EDIT One sort-of exception is Joe Cocker's version of "A little help". But that's about it I reckon.

Bad Ambassador

Wet Blanket

Is the Stones version of I Wanna Be Your Man more well known than the Beatles one?

mrpupkin

MJ Jacko's version of Girlfriend is probably better known than the Wings original, but then Wings aren't the Beatles are they? Sorry.

gilbertharding

When I said 'on your wider point', I didn't mean 'to contradict your wider point' so much as to illustrate it.

I just thought it was interesting that there was such an appetite to have the song on a 7" single that two obviously inferior versions could chart at the same time - not even two months after Rubber Soul was released.

Rizla

Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 19, 2019, 11:00:44 AM
Is the Stones version of I Wanna Be Your Man more well known than the Beatles one?

Doesn't count as Lennon and Macca wrote it specifically for the Stones.

gilbertharding

Rizla

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 19, 2019, 11:10:20 AM

I just thought it was interesting that there was such an appetite to have the song on a 7" single that two obviously inferior versions could chart at the same time - not even two months after Rubber Soul was released.

Well yeah, pretty much anything that wasn't released as a Beatles single was fair game for other artists to cover-right up to the White Album when you had Marmalade charting with Obla Di Obla Da.