Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:26:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The wankest film idea ever conceived? Danny Boyle's Ed Sheeran Beatles thing

Started by Thomas, August 31, 2018, 05:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Menu

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on June 01, 2020, 02:16:54 PM
The irritating thing is that the film bears no trace of Boyle's usual style. He seems to have been on complete autopilot for a shit film, which he chose to do over the Bond film he was trying to talk the Broccolis into.

Yes this was the most disappointing thing for me. I love Danny Boyle. His style of directing is electric - not least in that series he did about the John Paul Getty kidnapping last year. So I was prepared to put up with some shit Richard Curtis bollocks in order to see what Boyle did with it. But, frankly, if I didn't know any better I'd have thought Curtis had directed it himself. So disappointing. Was he stepped on by the studio or something? Anyone read anything about this?

Quote from: olliebean on May 22, 2020, 04:42:48 PM
Another snippet from that interview that caught my eye was that MacKenzie Crook worked with him on early versions of the screenplay. Imagine how much better the film would have been if Crook, rather than Curtis, had picked it up and run with it.

So I watched this last night. And finding out that Crook was involved clicked something.

There's some almost Detectorists shots of the countryside - the pub where he plays Yesterday, the long drive out to wherever by the sea for the cameo bit.

Anyway, it makes no sense and its probably quite rubbish but it passed a truly hungover Sunday evening and, yeah, the music's pretty good.

also, the way the lad played things seemed really reminiscent of Russell Brand - take the phone call scene. He's pulling an actual Brand-face.

there's a bullet we missed!

famethrowa

It's on TV tonight. Fuck this stupid movie, it's about Beatles songs, why do we have all this Curtis relationship shit? Fuck the guy and his stupid droopy mouth expression he has for 80% of the movie, and his "Rhys Ifans with an afro" sidekick. Oh and here's Ed Sheran to drop an hilarious joke again. Fuck off

*reads up a few posts* hang on, it's a Danny Boyle film?

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Menu on October 14, 2020, 01:56:45 AM
Yes this was the most disappointing thing for me. I love Danny Boyle. His style of directing is electric - not least in that series he did about the John Paul Getty kidnapping last year. So I was prepared to put up with some shit Richard Curtis bollocks in order to see what Boyle did with it. But, frankly, if I didn't know any better I'd have thought Curtis had directed it himself. So disappointing. Was he stepped on by the studio or something? Anyone read anything about this?

There was one moment for me that was Boyle-esque. There's some lovely wide shots and handheld camera work when the lead and Lily James are gallivanting around Liverpool. But otherwise I felt none of his presence.

famethrowa

Ok this lead fella cannot act for shit. Depressing. Also if you went round to John Lennon's place, he wouldn't give you a cup o char and a hug, he'd say "It's not 1956, and turning up at the door isn't the same anymore'" and probably do a belm.

famethrowa

Oh jesus, just imagine putting out Ob La Di or the first line of Saw Her Standing There in this day and age

CANCELLED

gilbertharding

Quote from: Hand Solo on June 01, 2020, 03:11:40 PM
Thanks to a relaxation of social distancing rules I've now been out and to my complete amazement several people I've asked don't remember the Lunn Poly "Get away!" adverts. I think I'm through the looking glass here people, the world is never going to be the same again..

We wanna be together!

JamesTC

Big turd of a film.

The original idea of one person remembering the songs but still being a failure is really good.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: JamesTC on August 20, 2021, 03:33:11 PM
Big turd of a film.

The original idea of one person remembering the songs but still being a failure is really good.

Funnily enough, the original writer of the movie, who doesn't have many credits, but did write the excellent Simpsons episode, A Fish Called Selma, accuses Richard Curtis of gutting his original idea and fobbing him off with a "Story by" credit.

According to his Wiki he's written 25 un-produced screenplays over 40 years and is the oldest screenwriter to get a first feature produced. This isn't uncommon in Hollywood; as a screenwriter, you're payed 30% of your salary for selling a script to a studio and the other 70% if it's produced, so there are plenty of writers who have become fairly well off (rich, even) from selling scripts and never seeing a single script of theirs produced or get a single IMDb credit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/yesterday-movie-richard-curtis-script-beatles-jack-barth-a9528566.html

famethrowa

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on August 20, 2021, 04:06:13 PM
Funnily enough, the original writer of the movie, who doesn't have many credits, but did write the excellent Simpsons episode, A Fish Called Selma, accuses Richard Curtis of gutting his original idea and fobbing him off with a "Story by" credit.

Looked the guy up, and he co-wrote one of my old favourites, Americana with Jonathan Ross! Loved that way back

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: famethrowa on August 20, 2021, 04:33:18 PM
Looked the guy up, and he co-wrote one of my old favourites, Americana with Jonathan Ross! Loved that way back

He seems like a very talented guy and I would be a lot more interested in seeing his Beatles film than Richard Curtis'.

popcorn

I don't really get how you can write a classic, beloved Simpsons episode and not get more work, at least on The Simpsons.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: popcorn on August 20, 2021, 05:32:13 PM
I don't really get how you can write a classic, beloved Simpsons episode and not get more work, at least on The Simpsons.

I think it points to what I said earlier about having 25 un-produced screenplays in 40 years, which is the reality for most working screenplays and is quite an enviable position (although not as enviable position as having that work produced). So it seems he had opportunities to sell some scripts, which all got tied up in red tape and wound up in a studio vault gathering dust.

JamesTC

Replies From View

notjosh

Catalogue Trousers

'Hey! Nobody else remembers Harry Potter!'

Yeah, and these days they're quite happy for it to be that way, chum.

SteveDave

The strange thing is that the film would've been half alright had the real pop star not been Ed Sheeran. He really grates in every way.

Replies From View

He obviously believed he was printing the full lion onto an A3 sheet, but it came out as an A4 sheet with only the top half of the lion on it and he didn't even notice.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Replies From View on August 23, 2021, 12:46:05 PM
He obviously believed he was printing the full lion onto an A3 sheet, but it came out as an A4 sheet with only the top half of the lion on it and he didn't even notice.
He should get LION/LOIN tattooed in the space. Or maybe a tiny Ed Sheeran body below the lion's head, then wear a black mask and pretend the lion's singing Shape Of You.

mothman

Apparently I was once stood about eight feet away from Ed Sheeran and never noticed. Not sure what I'd have done if I had. Probably gone all gaga over meeting a celebrity, gushing embarrassingly until the point I revealed I thought he was Rupert Grint.

popcorn

I was on a beach in Okinawa with my girlfriend a couple of years ago and a Japanese woman came over and told her in Japanese: "You are a cute couple! Your boyfriend looks like Ed Sheeran!" I told myself that she was simply viewing me through Asian goggles (in the way that Will Smith and Denzel Washington look alike to my grandma) but I've been troubled by photos of Sheeran ever since

machotrouts

I have a Filipino friend whose Filipino friends all told me I look like Ed Sheeran. Unfortunately I would suck Ed Sheeran off so I'm fine with it. I'm the one guy who thinks his music is shit but also unaccountably still thinks he's hot. I would suck Ed Sheeran the fuck off.

machotrouts

That was my 2049th post so I'm very upset about it. I've been thinking for a while of quitting CaB after a landmark 2048 perfect posts, and instead I ruined it by making a post about sucking the fuck out of Ed Sheeran.

machotrouts

Ban me. Ban me I don't care do it. It's the only way this ends. Pull the fucking trigger and fucking kill me

Replies From View

Sorry, I didn't read it properly.  Could you post it again please?