Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The wankest film idea ever conceived? Danny Boyle's Ed Sheeran Beatles thing

Started by Thomas, August 31, 2018, 05:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

BlodwynPig

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 03, 2018, 04:30:17 AM
It would be funnier if the person who wakes up to discover he's the only one in the world who can remember the Beatles was Mark David Chapman.

Chapman's appearance in a shell suit on Wogan in the 80s was monumental

Icehaven

Quote from: Misspent Boners on September 03, 2018, 06:35:34 AM
Has no one wondered exactly how long you would go before even realising the Beatles didnt exist? I love the Beatles but think weeks could pass potentially without me having cause to mention them or certainly to listen to any of their stuff. "Wakes one morning to find that no one remember the Beatles" implies he wakes up in his room of beatles memorbilia to find its all changed, and tgen spends an hour listening to the radio and starts panicking when not one Beatles track is played.

Whats the logic of this occurence going to be? As mentioned is it a result of some weird and over specific mass mental breakdown or is gonna be an altered timeline kind of thing where they never actually happened? Eitherway it sounds really stoopid.

I was trying to think how this would be revealed, and it could be anything from him absent mindedly humming Hey Jude or Penny Lane and someone asking him what that tune is, and the ensuing conversation, to him living opposite the Beatles Experience in Liverpool only to open the blinds one morning and see it's now a Poundshop, to him having tickets to see Macca and waking up up on the morning of the gig to find the tickets now say Ed Sheeran. Or all his Beatles Tshirts have vanished, or Heather Mills still has both legs.

marquis_de_sad

If it was Mark David Chapman then when he wakes up would he be in prison? I think he would. He would still be in prison for murdering John Lennon, but Lennon was just some bloke and not famous. When MDC mentions the Beatles, as he is wont to do on a daily basis being the tiresome psycho that he is, he notices that people don't seem to understand his references. When he presses them — "You know, the Beatles! I Wanna Hold Your Hand! The White Album! Bigger than Jesus!" — they look at him like he's crazy. And he is. The end.

Replies From View

The Beatles were still famous during their time, I assume.  There is now just some kind of collective amnesia going on, so for example nobody in charge of the paperwork will remember why Mark Chapman is in prison.  Brilliant things like that.  Heather Mills would still have got with Paul McCartney and had her leg hacked off by him in one of his rages - the Beatles' actions haven't been erased from time in that respect.  It's just Heather Mills would be wondering why on earth she was ever attracted to a non-famous multi-millionaire.

It is an idea with so many more legs than her.

greenman

Ending the film on a discovery that actually people haven't forgotten about the Beatles and actually Sheenan's record company have been holding the world to ransom with nuclear weapons, nobody is allowed to mention them as he bases his career on lifting material or the button is pushed.

As the lead characters are killed by a nuclear shockwave we cut to black and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-4AN-xY7ds

Dex Sawash

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 04, 2018, 07:49:35 AM
If it was Mark David Chapman then when he wakes up would he be in prison? I think he would. He would still be in prison for murdering John Lennon, but Lennon was just some bloke and not famous. When MDC mentions the Beatles, as he is wont to do on a daily basis being the tiresome psycho that he is, he notices that people don't seem to understand his references. When he presses them — "You know, the Beatles! I Wanna Hold Your Hand! The White Album! Bigger than Jesus!" — they look at him like he's crazy. And he is. The end.

It turns out the entire prison is gaslighting him because they think he's a jerk.

Uncle TechTip

Maybe in this timeline, Paul IS dead? And since he was the most visible Beatle in the last 30 years, it wasn't so much that they were forgotten, but rather faded from view, like Gerry and the Pacemakers.

BlodwynPig

kidsick5000

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 31, 2018, 05:37:17 PM
Isn't this the plot of 'Goodnight Sweetheart'?

And it's the part I'm amazed nobody has picked up on for a full film before now.
It's also used as a throwaway gag at the end of Hot Tub Time Machine (using Motley Crue)

Thomas

Bad Ambassador

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 04, 2018, 12:31:27 PM
And it's the part I'm amazed nobody has picked up on for a full film before now.
It's also used as a throwaway gag at the end of Hot Tub Time Machine (using Motley Crue)

It's a running gag in the second Austin Powers film too. Dr Evil pretending he wrote "One Of Us" and all that. He didn't ever pretend to write "Two Of Us," though, so it's different.

BlodwynPig

Hobo the dog befriends many people on a series of adventures across mid-west america who have forgotten that Gentle Ben existed

kidsick5000

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 04, 2018, 01:39:04 PM
It's a running gag in the second Austin Powers film too. Dr Evil pretending he wrote "One Of Us" and all that. He didn't ever pretend to write "Two Of Us," though, so it's different.

Is it?
(realtime brain edit)
Ohhhh. yeah. Similar

colacentral

Does all the music that came after it still exist though? So would this guy not be playing Beatles songs and be getting a reaction along the lines of "yeah, decent - sounds a bit like a Byrds song. You a fan of the Zombies by any chance?"

Would sound a bit naff today when kids are listening to your Drakes and Rhiannas; not sure he'd get massive off the back of Come Together in 2018.

DukeDeMondo

marquis_de_sad

Perhaps the music is still with us, the only difference is that everyone thinks they were called the Silver Beatles. It's completely different!

MARK DAVID CHAPMAN: What's your favourite Beatles song?

FELLOW INMATE: What? Who's that?

MARK DAVID CHAPMAN: You know, 'Sgt Pepper's', 'Hard Day's Night', 'Yellow Submarine'... The Beatles!

FELLOW INMATE: Oh you mean the Silver Beatles?

MARK DAVID CHAPMAN: No I don't, you phony!

mothman

Perhaps we're not thinking this through. No Beatles means no Joe Cocker. Which means no this guy.

Replies From View

Quote from: mothman on September 04, 2018, 07:30:40 PM
Perhaps we're not thinking this through. No Beatles means no Joe Cocker. Which means no this guy.

Well, that's a bit racist.

mothman

It's a joke, Replies. That character always reminded me of Joe Cocker for some reason, even though he was almost certainly meant to evoke black soul singers.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I think Replies was joking too, what with Joe Cocker being a white fella and all. I dunno, it's late.

Bronzy

What if everyone apart from Joe Cocker forgot that black people existed