Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:35:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dragon Quest XI

Started by Bhazor, September 01, 2018, 10:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQABF50qjtA

Originally released in Japan last year marking its first home console release in 13 years it finally reaches the rest of the world this week. As a fan of "Dragon Quest 8 - Me cockney sparra'" version I've been looking forward to this for a while. Where as Final Fantasy has been going through an identity crisis for 20 years Dragon Quest knows exactly who it is and what it wants.

I've been consciously avoiding all news and potential spoilers but have been pleased to see early reviews are glowing such as this in depth but utterly insufferable Kotaku review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iTbUGItU0s

Really my only worry with the game so far is the main guy looks like a right bell end and there is no Ricky Grover.

Bhazor

brat-sampson

Preordered from GMG, now just to hope the port ain't shit.

Looks delightful, and I appreciate the advice from the Kotaku guy that it's something best savoured in small doses over the course of a few months. It's traditional as all heck, so expecting shocks and twists and constant engagement is the wrong mindset to go in with. Just sit down somewhere comfy and spend some time on an adventure with a cool crew. No more, no less.

brat-sampson

Just popping in to say the port ain't shit! It's good!

I'm only maybe an hour in and am just about to actually begin the adventure, but so far, hey, it's cool enough.

Dog Botherer

Laptop can't run it and the Switch version is delayed indefinitely. Fucks sake.

Bhazor

I keep hearing people call Dragon Quest casual but I always enjoy the combat. Might be because I never grind so I'm always under leveled which I think is the better way to play it anyway. That said I still haven't finished Yakuza 0 which is my "hang out  in virtual town" game or Original Sin 2 which is my "hard as dick RPG" game. So probably pick this up around christmas once those two have run their course.

Dragon Quest XI switch still exists apparently.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1043720372233723905

QuoteSquare Enix just announced "Dragon Quest XI S" for Switch. No release date hints, but S, according to developers, indicates "Switch" "Special" "Character voices (shaberu, in Japanese) as well as "Initial of voice actor(s)". "But S doesn't mean small," the firm says.

No release date because of course not.

Timothy

This is really really good.

Thats all. Back to the PS4

brat-sampson

Some clever cloggses have managed to make a mod for the PC version that swaps out all the in-game music for the orchestral version of the score.

Examples and a link here but yeah, it's great.

The game's a whole loooong sequence of miniature stories and adventures that also build into a whole. I'm taking Tim Rogers' advice and playing through it relatively slowly, an hour or so now and then. Matches the leisurely pacing of the plotting and means I get less irritated when my not-so-urgent quest starts to take another delightful detour. It's one to savour, with hidden secrets throughout the dense town, playful dialogue, engaging characters etc even if it's fairly tropey. It's a warm bath and bedtime story kind of a game.

Originally I played with an optional setting to make fights Much Harder, which was interesting, and did make me think a lot more about combat, but eventually having to spend half of even a standard field mob fight healing up as well has needing to Rest every few fights when my healers started running out of MP became tiring so I sacked it in. Some bosses are a challenge to get through without anyone dying even on the regular difficulty, though it gets hard to wipe by the time you can swap plenty of people in and out. Sadly a lot of it comes down to them just getting a bunch of turns in a row sometimes, so dropping their agility and boosting yours is a good tactic.

Totally lovely game and nails exactly what it wants to achieve.

A+/A+/B

Bhazor

Ahhhhhhh fuck it. Got a Amazon gift card and spunked it on DQ XI. Guess I'll need to finish off Yakuza now (been mucking about in the final chapter for 2 weeks).

Timothy

Constant feeling of a deja vu. Turns out that Ni No Kuni 2 seemingly stole a lot from this game. From the same music to the same way you get each sidequest summary to the same sort of worlds.

But Dragon Quest is way superior. In hindsight  Ni No Kuni 2 is a shit Dragon Quest

Bhazor

Your mum is a shit Dragon Quest.