Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:00:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

If your watch has two dials you can fuck right off.

I tend to wear my watch with the dial on the inside of my wrist. Not for any fashion purpose but because otherwise I end up staring at it when I'm typing. If I'm wearing sleeves its also easier to see by flipping your wrist over as opposed to pawing at your sleeve like some mad animal trying to look important by implying you have somewhere to be at a particular time.

Endicott

Chronographs explained

Look at this fucking tool with his coiffed hair and silk hanky stuck in his blazer pocket. Real Style my arse. It's 2018, I can't believe people still think this is a valid life choice.

Norton Canes

Here was another watch I had

Well not actually the watch itself because I can't find a picture of it. But it was really cool, it had three buttons on the front to control the functions. Look, I've Photoshopped a replica of it:

The red yellow and green bits weren't lights, they were painted on. Unfortunately my excellent replica is not accurate enough for a Google Image search.

Ferris

Quote from: Janie Jones on September 19, 2018, 09:36:29 AM
I for one would welcome photos of watch nerdery please, FerriswheelBueller.

Here's a CaB watch thread from 5 years ago. I no longer stand by my recommendation of Watchfinder, they let me down recently.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,39998.0.html

I'll find them and post a couple tonight when I get home from work.

QDRPHNC

I want a Hamilton Intra-Matic LOOK AT IT

Twed

That is classy. I would eventually like a nice dress watch, but I refuse to even buy a suit until I'm less podgy again. So for now, I loving my few 'beater' watches and very much developing a loving relationship with the simple and good Seiko 5 I bought,

studpuppet

Quote from: Endicott on September 19, 2018, 12:45:03 PM
Chronographs explained

Look at this fucking tool with his coiffed hair and silk hanky stuck in his blazer pocket. Real Style my arse. It's 2018, I can't believe people still think this is a valid life choice.

Since when has Giles Coren had an American accent?

the

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 19, 2018, 11:58:35 AM

A watch with Egg Panic written on it, amazing. Egg Panic plus Scramble Fighter

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mrfridge on September 19, 2018, 12:12:03 PM
Egg Panic looks hilariously racist.

Not as bad as Suzulu in street racer.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Endicott on September 19, 2018, 12:45:03 PM
Chronographs explained

I left a rude comment on that. I have loads of watches, & I've lost count of how many of them have stopwatch functions. that can fuck off. who needs a bastard stopwatch every day, strapped to them? not me. I'd far rather more watches had alarms on them, & ease-of-use + loudness would be the top two requirements there. also watches that either light themselves up or glow in the dark properly, without having to be 'charged' first. solar power & radio control also good.
so.

roughly £75 g-shock solar wave-ceptor with analogue hands, digits in windows, loads of alarms, multiple time-zone support & a thing that lights up the whole display when you roll over in your sleep, thus waking you up before the alarm goes off. perfect.

but I've also revived three of my 80s swatches (batteries, new straps) & bought a fourth... 1983 NoS....

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 19, 2018, 12:53:30 PM
Here was another watch I had

Well not actually the watch itself because I can't find a picture of it. But it was really cool, it had three buttons on the front to control the functions. Look, I've Photoshopped a replica of it:

The red yellow and green bits weren't lights, they were painted on. Unfortunately my excellent replica is not accurate enough for a Google Image search.

And is it 9 o'clock on it?

Ferris

Quote from: Janie Jones on September 19, 2018, 09:36:29 AM
I for one would welcome photos of watch nerdery please, FerriswheelBueller.

Here's a CaB watch thread from 5 years ago. I no longer stand by my recommendation of Watchfinder, they let me down recently.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,39998.0.html

As promised!

A few my dad has given me - an Omega automatic (I understand the case size and numbering is unusual), and another one that I don't recall much about.
https://ibb.co/eTXS1e

My own meagre collection of childish watches. The one on the right is new, based on this thread. I like it a lot.
https://ibb.co/fyn5nK

Ferris

Im still too dense to work out direct image posting. I used to be able to do it, and now it is lost knowledge to me.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 20, 2018, 12:29:40 AM
Im still too dense to work out direct image posting. I used to be able to do it, and now it is lost knowledge to me.

find pic on internet.
right click on pic & choose "copy image address".
come back here & press the icon that look like a little painting.
paste thy link in the place where the cursor's gone.
at the start of the line where it says 'img', add "width=400". that'll keep the image cops from going mad on you.

Ferris

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 20, 2018, 12:44:40 AM
find pic on internet.
right click on pic & choose "copy image address".
come back here & press the icon that look like a little painting.
paste thy link in the place where the cursor's gone.
at the start of the line where it says 'img', add "width=400". that'll keep the image cops from going mad on you.

It never seems to work, I'm picking the wrong image link and it's a pain to sort out on my iPad so I don't bother. If it helps, I am suitably ashamed.

Anyway, my watches are there for all to see. Most of them anyway.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 20, 2018, 12:56:42 AM
It never seems to work, I'm picking the wrong image link and it's a pain to sort out on my iPad so I don't bother. If it helps, I am suitably ashamed.

I like the swatches- as noted elsewhere, I've revived a couple of my older ones, like your black one- that sort of age. but they aren't half loud!

Ferris

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 20, 2018, 01:01:46 AM
I like the swatches- as noted elsewhere, I've revived a couple of my older ones, like your black one- that sort of age. but they aren't half loud!

Yup! Keep them wrapped in a sock in a draw if I'm not wearing them. Great for making clicking noises through guitar pickups though

Replies From View

I don't like the word swatches.  Makes me think of swabs.

Janie Jones

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 20, 2018, 12:22:50 AM
As promised!

Thank you. Those 1950s watches are gorgeous. Your dad is/was a class act.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 20, 2018, 12:56:42 AM

Some image hosts don't seem to properly handle the "copy imzge url" thing.
If you choose "open image in new tab" then go to the new tab to be sure it is just an image without a load of other bs, then copy the url from the address bar there it should work more reliably.

Ferris

Quote from: Janie Jones on September 20, 2018, 09:10:03 AM
Thank you. Those 1950s watches are gorgeous. Your dad is/was a class act.

He still is (thankfully)

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 20, 2018, 12:09:25 PM

Some image hosts don't seem to properly handle the "copy imzge url" thing.
If you choose "open image in new tab" then go to the new tab to be sure it is just an image without a load of other bs, then copy the url from the address bar there it should work more reliably.

I can do that for other pictures and it works fine, but stuff I upload seems to always be a pain. I'll figure it out eventually

Twed

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 02, 2018, 05:06:14 AM
Fellow right handed person who wears their watch on the wrong hand because they were raised improperly?
My mum told me that if I wore it on the wrong wrist I would be signalling that I'm gay.

Ferris

Quote from: Twed on April 18, 2019, 02:10:03 AM
My mum told me that if I wore it on the wrong wrist I would be signalling that I'm gay.

Or left handed?

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 20, 2018, 12:22:50 AM
As promised!

A few my dad has given me - an Omega automatic (I understand the case size and numbering is unusual), and another one that I don't recall much about.

My own meagre collection of childish watches. The one on the right is new, based on this thread. I like it a lot.

Look, I made the image links work. I think I could get into watches, they're such nice things to have and they work and make little clicking noises and look fun etc etc.

Seiko "Orange Monster" diver's watch. As ugly as they come but generally acknowledged to be the orangest watch available at that price.

Breitling Superocean Heritage. A replica of their 1950s diver's watch that my better half bought me as a 20th anniversary present.

Plain and simple stainless steel Omega that my brother bought me for my 50th and which just happens to have been made in the year of my birth. My other half's favourite as she hates flashy watches.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on April 18, 2019, 08:34:12 PM
Seiko "Orange Monster" diver's watch. As ugly as they come but generally acknowledged to be the orangest watch available at that price.

Love it. I love big lairy watches. Today I have been massively enjoying my green Adidas Santiago- I got the red one first then saw the green one going cheap in TK Maxx a few months later and just had to have it:

Yes, I am an eight-year-old scally.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 19, 2019, 12:49:44 AM
Love it. I love big lairy watches. Today I have been massively enjoying my green Adidas Santiago- I got the red one first then saw the green one going cheap in TK Maxx a few months later and just had to have it:

I like the monochromatic-ness of that

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 19, 2019, 01:04:29 AM
I like the monochromatic-ness of that

Cheers- this is the red one:

...and I like it but I think it would look better if the hands were the same colour as the face.

I like wearing both watches with nice smart shirts- the red one with white shirts, the green one with blue shirts- to scally things up a bit.

Ferris

It's only proper scally if they are Ben Sherman shirts* and the top button is done up.

*or whatever the equivalent is - my UK scally references are around a decade out of date

On a side note, I have been eyeing up essentially the entirety of the Swatch range off the back of this thread. They're all so nice.

Edit: I note all watches are set to 10:10 when on display (such as BlueJam's ones above, or this one here - is this standard? I bet someone somewhere did watch research on all this)

Double edit: yes! It's a thing - apparently it means the hands frame the logo (typically in the top centre of the watch face) and looks nicer than 8:20 (which is also symmetrical but looks "sad"). Some watchmakers use the seconds hand as their "signature" time (Rolex always uses 10:10:31 for example). More about it here https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/28/business/media/28adco.html

Triple edit: I bought the Swatch Ouverture and the classic "Casio digital" watch. Now I'm closing the internet to avoid buying more shite I don't need.

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 19, 2019, 12:49:44 AM

You know, I'm tempted to buy one of those just to see my partner's reaction. A red one I think.