Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:44:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on September 26, 2019, 08:14:07 AM
Who buys watches at airports? I've been travelling a lot recently and have been pondering this question. I know you stand to save a bit if they're duty free, but I just can't imagine thinking on the way to my flight "Oh yeah. I just need to stop off and get an Omega Speedmaster." The stores are always empty and overlit as well. Up there with working in Poundland as one of the most depressing jobs in retail.

I bought a citizen at gatwick just a week ago. I hate gatwick, but it was cheaper than heathrow this months for some reason... anyway, the watch was to cheer meself up.
"that's a good price for an eco-drive.... " said the lady, with a hint of 'have we got the right tag on this?' (no pun intended). anyway, nice enough watch... day-date, big luminous proper numbers, dark blue face in black case with a leather strap..... which, after twelve hours, had given me the first rash I've had in decades. there must've been summat on it, because I don't have a problem with any other leather strap watches, or steel, or plastic, or rubber, or titanium... damn thing's sat on my mellotron at home now while I look for a metal strap that'll fit it.

anyway, it's one of these:

Blue Jam

Gatwick? Never mind the watch, did you get a Nando's breakfast?

(the watch is nice)

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 27, 2019, 12:14:57 AM
Gatwick? Never mind the watch, did you get a Nando's breakfast?

(the watch is nice)

giraffe. but it was a shit-hole compared to my usual one at T5. the porridge was decent, but I almost missed my flight waiting for it to cool down.

the security procedure at gatwick hasn't improved, though my frequent use of airports meant I was prepared for this & I got through fairly quickly.
but I noted with some disbelief that there's a "pay £5 & jump the queues" kind of deal there now, a fast-track security lane, rather like the old 'speedy boarding' that easyjet used to do.

fuck's sake.

Ferris

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 27, 2019, 12:20:19 AM
giraffe. but it was a shit-hole compared to my usual one at T5. the porridge was decent, but I almost missed my flight waiting for it to cool down.

the security procedure at gatwick hasn't improved, though my frequent use of airports meant I was prepared for this & I got through fairly quickly.
but I noted with some disbelief that there's a "pay £5 & jump the queues" kind of deal there now, a fast-track security lane, rather like the old 'speedy boarding' that easyjet used to do.

fuck's sake.

We were told we couldn't take milk for my infant son through security. I had to call a manager over, who after looking at the rules on my phone relented (eventually) and said "well, to be fair you might know better than me, it's not my fault - they change the reg[ulation]s all the time..." and I nearly said something quite rude along the lines of "yeah, why would you, the head of security at Gatwick airport, know the rules and regulations of security at Gatwick airport" but I didn't and we were on our way.

Fuck Gatwick though, even with its cheeky Nandos.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 27, 2019, 01:05:09 AM
Fuck Gatwick though, even with its cheeky Nandos.

yes, fuck them. but I feel as though I have at least had a taste of what heathrow might turn into as they are forced to cheapen-down, especially if this brexit bullshit happens.
I told you all about the passport scanner incident on my way out of madrid a month ago?
machine lit up red, 'incorrect country', & the chap nearby dismissed the alarm saying "it's not supposed to do that.... yet."

this time, different chap, & the machine let me through straight away, but he did offer some quip (in english, bless him) along the lines of 'not for long!'.

gatwick's architecture is the bit that really puts my teeth on edge, though. does it really need to be so fucking gloomy & dimly lit? would more windows (like T5) have put them over budget?

& don't get me started on luton...

imitationleather

I suppose having to spend time in poorly-lit surroundings is the price you pay for INCESSANT PLANET RAPE.

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on September 27, 2019, 11:14:46 AM
I suppose having to spend time in poorly-lit surroundings is the price you pay for INCESSANT PLANET RAPE.

2 day business trip to San Francisco next month. 6 hour flight each way. I'm a monster.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 27, 2019, 01:50:04 AM
yes, fuck them. but I feel as though I have at least had a taste of what heathrow might turn into as they are forced to cheapen-down, especially if this brexit bullshit happens.
So, all airports outside the EU are disgusting hellholes?

Anyway, airports are rubbish and watches are good.

Blue Jam

I am at Barcelona airport right now. There is an Innis and Gunn but no Nando's. Fucksake.

NJ Uncut

I get up for work at half six, and it's dark.

Pretty soon I'll be leaving in the dark, at 4pm

My Xmas present to me will be a Tritium watch, but our stupid "mostly darkness" winters will probably accelerate that!

bgmnts

Those winter morning walks to work are a thing of beauty.

I once walked from cwmbran through caerleon into a business park in newport just to see if i could. Left at 3am, got there are 6.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: bgmnts on October 09, 2019, 05:38:36 PM
Those winter morning walks to work are a thing of beauty.

I once walked from cwmbran through caerleon into a business park in newport just to see if i could. Left at 3am, got there are 6.

What watch aided you through such a trek, BagMountains?

bgmnts

It was actually a nice Rotary, had that for a year until my cousin nutted it with his big fat baby head and cracked it.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: bgmnts on October 09, 2019, 06:08:39 PM
It was actually a nice Rotary, had that for a year until my cousin nutted it with his big fat baby head and cracked it.

Did it glow in the dark?

bgmnts

No, I have some class.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: bgmnts on October 09, 2019, 06:35:28 PM
No, I have some class.

So why wear a watch in the dark, eh? EH

bgmnts

Because watches are cool.

NJ Uncut

weekender

You two make a lovely couple.

bgmnts

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 09, 2019, 07:13:54 PM
Even if you can't see em?

Twas silver so you could kind of see it.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: bgmnts on October 09, 2019, 07:15:42 PM
Twas silver so you could kind of see it.

That's alright.

I've become super utilitarian since joining Big Oil. Its not all about the fashion for me, maaaan!

bgmnts

I'm probably the least fashionable person on this forum to be fair, it was a christmas gift and so I wore it.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: bgmnts on October 09, 2019, 07:18:46 PM
I'm probably the least fashionable person on this forum to be fair, it was a christmas gift and so I wore it.

In that case... Class dismissed!!

The class you previously referred t.. Ah fuck it

I'll post the horrifically glow in dark watch when I actually have it and realise it's annoying me at night

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 09, 2019, 07:21:34 PM
I'll post the horrifically glow in dark watch when I actually have it and realise it's annoying me at night

if you go for a luminox or anything else deep enough to have tritium tubes on the hands, you'll want to take it off at night anyway. couple of times I was woken up either by hitting myself with the fucker while turning over, or else by the mrs similarly injured & cross. but it's a small price to pay for being able to know what time it is even in pitch blackness.

I'm annoyed that the tilt-switches in a couple of my casio watches have stopped working. the button to make them light up sans tilt isn't always in the same place so sometimes when I've finally summoned the illumination, it's to see that the watch is now in timer mode or thinks it's on some remote part of the planet where it's high fucking noon.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on October 17, 2019, 12:44:55 AM
if you go for a luminox or anything else deep enough to have tritium tubes on the hands, you'll want to take it off at night anyway. couple of times I was woken up either by hitting myself with the fucker while turning over, or else by the mrs similarly injured & cross. but it's a small price to pay for being able to know what time it is even in pitch blackness.

I'm annoyed that the tilt-switches in a couple of my casio watches have stopped working. the button to make them light up sans tilt isn't always in the same place so sometimes when I've finally summoned the illumination, it's to see that the watch is now in timer mode or thinks it's on some remote part of the planet where it's high fucking noon.

Sound advice. I take watches off for bed. Might be able to see the tritium from the bedside table?

I need to move on from the minimalist Fossil I have. Screen is scratched already and I need the date on it... So functionality ahoy!

Cheers Dunc, shaping up my options for a self Xmas pressie

Brian Freeze

Anyone fancy spurting £6,500 on a G-Shock? There's two at that price if you're keen.

Id put a link up if I could- any idea how to do that from a samsung phone???

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Brian Freeze on October 31, 2019, 03:48:12 AM
Anyone fancy spurting £6,500 on a G-Shock? There's two at that price if you're keen.

Id put a link up if I could- any idea how to do that from a samsung phone???

Click on address bar on page you want to link to, I did that with this thread here...

If you press the button that looks like 2 pieces of paper, that copies the link to your clipboard.
Then in your CaB post, just long click in the posting area and hit "paste" when the cut/copy/paste flag pops up.

NJ Uncut

Scratches then

I've scratched the face of every watch I've had but none have cost me more than a ton.

If I splash out, should I expect scratch protection? Or is my light paranoia justified?

touchingcloth

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 31, 2019, 09:08:38 AM
Scratches then

I've scratched the face of every watch I've had but none have cost me more than a ton.

If I splash out, should I expect scratch protection? Or is my light paranoia justified?

I scratched my old (tritium!) Mondaine instantly on buying it and thereafter pretty much weekly. My new Seiko 5 is 3 months or so old now, and the glass is still pristine. Hardlex, I think it's called, and I heard people wanking on about its toughness before I bought and it really does seem to be.

When I was reading about it I got the impression that there are tougher materials still. "Crystal", maybe, but I suspect there are many different types of crystal with different levels of hardness so I will cede the floor to a watch geek now.