Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:17:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, display back, I can see the thing I need to tweak.

Apparently there's some phone apps that can listen to the frequency of the tics to act as a guide.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 04, 2019, 05:19:02 PM
Yeah, display back, I can see the thing I need to tweak.

Apparently there's some phone apps that can listen to the frequency of the tics to act as a guide.

I didn't know that, though I expect I should've. use of the 5s & ownership of smart things did not overlap, but I recently acquired a mickey mouse 5 for the mrs (she works for the evil empire) which needs a mech transplant, so that might be useful.

Twed

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 31, 2019, 09:26:40 AM
How much does yours lose? I last set mine when the clocks changed (the wee small hours of Sunday?), and it's reading 9:25 now at 9:25, which is better than I expected actually. Normally I tend to set it when it gets 2-3 minutes out of step, which works out at about once a week.
That matches the performance of my bashed around 5. It's accurate enough for my needs.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, definitely needs a bit of a tweak. The long one was when I took it off for a shower and forgot to put it on.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twed on November 04, 2019, 06:14:45 PM
That matches the performance of my bashed around 5. It's accurate enough for my needs.

Mine is both losing and gaining time at the moment, but in a way that's averaging out. I haven't set it since my last post saying I had, and this morning I'm certain it was 30 seconds fast, but I've just watched my phone change minutes just under 10 seconds before the watch did.

touchingcloth

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 12, 2019, 07:26:53 PM
Mine is both losing and gaining time at the moment, but in a way that's averaging out. I haven't set it since my last post saying I had, and this morning I'm certain it was 30 seconds fast, but I've just watched my phone change minutes just under 10 seconds before the watch did.

I didn't set mine at all in November, and I wouldn't have needed to have touched the crown yet but for last month having 30 days. 23:24 now and the watch is reading that too (though about 50 seconds slow) WHAT IS GOING ON IS MY WRISTS MAGIC

bgmnts

Did time exist before watches.

Dewt

Sebastian Cobb

Can you not get it serviced?

Mine once failed to do its second jump so it switched into saying the day in French. Its not done it since though.

Dewt

I have to stop servicing this watch at the full cost of the watch.

Famous Mortimer

I once bought a very nice watch from a charity shop that didn't work, and took it to a local watch place. I knew that, in full working order, this watch was worth about 200 quid, nice thing it was. They took it and said "it's a really nice watch, this, let's see how much it'll cost to repair". A few weeks later, they called and said it'd cost me about 200 quid, and were quite surprised when I told them not to bother. Like, they badgered me in the shop to get it fixed, but I just took it back to the charity shop and re-donated it.

wasp_f15ting

My favourite watch is this one by Ming watches, limited 150 pieces in this colour I am glad I got it before he became famous.

It has 3 layers of Sapphire Crystal on it.

I will pick up another piece at some point. The main aim for this year is the Grand Seiko Snow Flake
I wear my late father's Tudor Submariner - which I refurbished a year ago, but it does feel a bit too fragile..

touchingcloth

Thanks to some incidental chatter in the Apprentice thread, I googled for Rolex's and, er, what the fuck? I've known the name since I was a wain as being the height of watch chic, but they look a bit shit. Chunky bastards with MASSIVE NUMBERS and knobs, like they're designed for children or the partially sighted.

That's not even particularly garish, just not what I had in mind when thinking about a brand that always gets spoken of in hushed tones.

I'd take Wasp's Submariner over that in a heartbeat.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 26, 2020, 02:28:47 PM
Thanks to some incidental chatter in the Apprentice thread, I googled for Rolex's and, er, what the fuck? I've known the name since I was a wain as being the height of watch chic, but they look a bit shit. Chunky bastards with MASSIVE NUMBERS and knobs, like they're designed for children or the partially sighted.

That's not even particularly garish, just not what I had in mind when thinking about a brand that always gets spoken of in hushed tones.

If you thought rolex enthusiasts couldn't be any cooler, they even give them nicknames based on their colour schemes e.g. this is a 'pepsi'

'Batman':

I think the one you posted is the much coveted Rolex 'Pickle Rick'.

touchingcloth

Awful things. Are those last two 24 hour models? Not a fan of the fat bezels, reminds me of a (digital) watch I had as a kid where you could turn the bezel instead of the crown to set the time.

Urinal Cake

Remember at one time these were supposed to be dive watches- so easy to read in deep dark waters, easy to adjust before a dive etc. Now obviously they're most just luxury watches that you can swim with.

Dewt

$118 to repair the movement according to the Seiko site. Hmmm.......

No, it costs almost exactly that new. Let's not be overly sentimental about it.

Sebastian Cobb

Have you considered taking it to a local watch repairer rather than getting it done by the manufacturer? They're like cars, don't bother taking it to the manufacturer if it's out of warranty, you'll get stung.

Dewt

I doubt they'll be craftspeople that could have survived chains like Jareds existing, they'll just try to sell me something or send it to Seiko themselves with an overhead fee.

Urinal Cake

You could replace the movement with a cheaper/Chinese/used movement.

Dewt

Why

Surely the labour cost to do that would be a lot of money and then I'd end up with a much worse watch to MAYBE save a few bucks

Urinal Cake

A few people do it themselves to save money or start an easier project. Also watches might have a sentimental value etc

Dewt

Those are two reasons why I won't be doing that!

The legit movement is cheap anyway.

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 26, 2020, 02:28:47 PM
Thanks to some incidental chatter in the Apprentice thread, I googled for Rolex's and, er, what the fuck?

Rolex are a bit like Montblanc are for fountain pens. Build up a reputation over decades and then use the brand to sell totally over-the-top stuff as jewellery to collectors/people with more money than taste (the kind of people who buy shirts like this). You can still buy fairly conservative-looking Rolexes but they aren't the ones they tend to advertise.

My Rolex is from a time when they were just beginning to earn their reputation (mine's 1938, similar to the pic). On the plus side it's small, simple and easily repaired/serviced. On the minus side, it was made in an era before shockproof watches and I've broken the balance staff on it twice in thirty years. Rolex still stock the parts for it (pretty amazing for an eighty year-old watch), but it's £150 just for the part each time...

Urinal Cake

Rolex Presidential/Day Date/Datejust are some ugly watches. It's not the gaudy gold or  diamonds. It's the crown looks just ugly, placement of the day and insistence on a cyclops for a dress watch.

Sebastian Cobb

Well yes, Rolex and Breitling's more gaudy offerings are aimed at the same middle-aged men who fold themselves into sports cars with paint jobs brighter than Dyno-Rod vans.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 26, 2020, 03:03:22 PM
If you thought rolex enthusiasts couldn't be any cooler, they even give them nicknames based on their colour schemes e.g. this is a 'pepsi'

'Batman':

What do those numbers around the the outside mean (2-22)?