Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:00:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Watches

Started by Twed, September 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on January 28, 2020, 09:44:35 AM
What do those numbers around the the outside mean (2-22)?

I had the same thought, and couldn't work anything out other than it being a 24 hour movement. If it was a 12 hour movement where you could see both things then you'd have "18" at the 6 o'clock position rather than "12". Are 24 hour movements even a thing? Would seem v niche if so.

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 26, 2020, 07:55:04 PM
Awful things. Are those last two 24 hour models? Not a fan of the fat bezels, reminds me of a (digital) watch I had as a kid where you could turn the bezel instead of the crown to set the time.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 28, 2020, 07:59:55 AM
Rolex Presidential/Day Date/Datejust are some ugly watches. It's not the gaudy gold or  diamonds. It's the crown looks just ugly, placement of the day and insistence on a cyclops for a dress watch.

Alternating Roman numerals with the single stroke doesn't work for me there.  I understand that full Roman leads to a very busy dial but on the quarter hours you've got complete inconsistency.  I suppose it is at least symmetrical down a centre line.  I'm all about clarity as I've mentioned before and that watch is giving me the fear.

Cuellar

I've probably said this already in this thread but I can't be bothered checking: don't you get all sweaty wristed when wearing a watch? Would make me all itchy.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 28, 2020, 10:52:55 AM
Alternating Roman numerals with the single stroke doesn't work for me there.  I understand that full Roman leads to a very busy dial but on the quarter hours you've got complete inconsistency.  I suppose it is at least symmetrical down a centre line.  I'm all about clarity as I've mentioned before and that watch is giving me the fear.
California dials used to be popular but people realised they are a bit rubbish. I still think with right size and shape it looks good

Icehaven

Cuellar

Are there any GMT watches that a) aren't absolutely hideous b) cheap

Dewt

Despite the loss of my Pyscho 5 I am doing fine:

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on January 28, 2020, 09:44:35 AM
What do those numbers around the the outside mean (2-22)?

24hr conversion i assume

Famous Mortimer

I was just flicking through shopgoodwill.com and saw one of these:

It looks quite good fun, even though it's not working and will need some restoring - mint versions go for like $400. But I discover it was used in "For Your Eyes Only", as every site mentions this. Are there people watching "For Your Eyes Only", which is not a Bond movie that gets brought up a lot, and going "yes, I want that sort of watch" in 2020? Maybe there are. It's a nice watch though.

Dewt

Image is broken even I go directly to the URL. Seems you need to be authenticated to see it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on January 28, 2020, 04:32:10 PM
Despite the loss of my Pyscho 5 I am doing fine:

I don't like the ones without the /WR\, dunno why.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 28, 2020, 11:31:18 AM
California dials used to be popular but people realised they are a bit rubbish. I still think with right size and shape it looks good

No, California is great.  Singular look, lovely symmetry and there's an underlying reason for the Arabic Roman split.  I know nothing of its history so I could imagine Philip Marlowe wearing one of those in the 40s.  Don't spoil it for me if it's some shabby 70s thing.

Icehaven

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Dewt on January 28, 2020, 06:00:50 PM
Image is broken even I go directly to the URL. Seems you need to be authenticated to see it.
Sorry mate, edited. It's a Seiko H357-5049, if the link is still broken. I just think it looks like a fun thing, and hopefully the non-working one I'm bidding on just needs a new battery and a bit of cleaning up.

Dewt

I'm seeing one go for $350 so it would likely be a great thing if you could snag a cheap one and mend it.

Famous Mortimer

Fingers crossed. There's a few scratches on the paint and the strap needs a good scrub-down but other than that (and it not working, I suppose) all is well.

wasp_f15ting

I did actually own a hulk..

However it just didn't suit my skin colour.. they go for pretty good amounts in the second hand market. I made about 130% return on it!

I do like this for the odd event..

But really my heart is set on the Grand Seiko Snowflake.. I just don't want to buy it new and lose money.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: wasp_f15ting
But really my heart is set on the Grand Seiko Snowflake.. I just don't want to buy it new and lose money.

Why's that got a boost gauge then?

wasp_f15ting

It just shows how much charge it has.

The sweep on the second hand is so gorgeous as it is electronically controlled

https://gfycat.com/ediblethankfulgreatwhiteshark

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 29, 2020, 12:27:25 PM

Why's that got a boost gauge then?

Powers up your wrist ready to deliver beatings.

Blue Jam

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on January 29, 2020, 11:55:42 AM
I did actually own a hulk..

However it just didn't suit my skin colour.. they go for pretty good amounts in the second hand market. I made about 130% return on it!

I do like this for the odd event..

That first one looks like the inspiration for the Seiko 5 I was considering a few pages back. I love the second one too, it looks nice and sporty with the green hand. I do like green as a colour for watches.

wasp_f15ting

Seiko did the green sunburst dial first I believe!

The aplinist has a gorgeous dial

A couple of their divers have the forest green too.
Just had a look back at your watch that is very sharp - your lady has excellent tastes.

holyzombiejesus

I would really like to start wearing a watch but I'm yet to find a strap that I don't have an allergic reaction to. Never tried metal though. Fascinating.

wasp_f15ting

I have the same issue with Nylon straps - so much so I get red spots shortly after.

Leather seems to be fine, there are some guides online as to how you can make your own leather straps if you can be bothered.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 28, 2020, 05:55:25 PM
It looks quite good fun, even though it's not working and will need some restoring - mint versions go for like $400. But I discover it was used in "For Your Eyes Only", as every site mentions this. Are there people watching "For Your Eyes Only", which is not a Bond movie that gets brought up a lot, and going "yes, I want that sort of watch" in 2020? Maybe there are. It's a nice watch though.

I like that- and on the subject of watches on screen, I do like the watch Jimmy McGill wears in Better Call Saul:

Nobody seems to know quite what it is- the closest guess I've seen is that it's a Mercury:

I've also seen suggestions that it's a Pulsar or a National Semiconductor- those don't seem quite right but I checked out National Semiconductor and there's a nice gallery of different models here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51764518@N02/albums/72157695390045060

I see the NS watches are actually pretty cheap to buy on eBay, and I do like my 70's-style watches and a round face in a square(ish) case but I probably wouldn't buy an LED watch because I don't like the idea of having to press a button to see the time, and I suspect they eat batteries like nobodies business. They do look fun to wear though.

On second thoughts, I do like a project:

https://hackaday.com/2018/11/28/collecting-repairing-and-wearing-vintage-digital-watches/

QuoteIt is tough to find working LED VDWs. Plan to either pay a fair market value for a working one or to buy numerous modules (module is the name for the VDW movement) or complete watches to make one work. Given this scarcity, if you can get an LED working you will become king of the geeks.

Must... resist...

Blue Jam

Quote from: studpuppet on January 28, 2020, 07:36:24 AM
Rolex are a bit like Montblanc are for fountain pens. Build up a reputation over decades and then use the brand to sell totally over-the-top stuff as jewellery to collectors/people with more money than taste (the kind of people who buy shirts like this).

Let's have a look at that shall we?

Wow. This may just be the best example of S4C I have ever seen.

One of my colleagues likes to wear his Rolexes and Omegas poking out from under the cuff of a battered old fleece. Stealth wealth- I believe that's the proper way to wear a Rolex.

Blue Jam

Quote from: wasp_f15ting
Just had a look back at your watch that is very sharp - your lady has excellent tastes.

Cheers, but "my lady"? Oh gawd, my hands aren't that big are they? ;)

I love the Alpinist too!

Dewt

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 29, 2020, 01:58:38 PM
One of my colleagues likes to wear his Rolexes and Omegas poking out from under the cuff of a battered old fleece. Stealth wealth- I believe that's the proper way to wear a Rolex.
That would be my style if I had a spensive watch. Somebody once described me as dressing like a millionaire who stopped giving a shit.

Famous Mortimer

Re: the National Semiconductor LED watch, Fossil made a very similar one in the late 90s.

http://www.crazywatches.pl/fossil-pulsar-p2-led-1997

They might also be a smidgeon cheaper. I had one of the ones with the big leather cuff strap, and it was ace.